Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Best player to don the shirt 17:59 - Dec 3 with 4225 viewsdangleding

Dawson?
Buckley?
McCourt?
Gilks?
Lambert?
Holt?
Le Fondre?
Jones?

My top 3 are Dawson, McCourt, Lambert.
Best player to don the shirt on 13:21 - Dec 4 with 1251 viewsDaley_Lama

It's easier to spot a big fish if all around you are tiddlers Col, simple as.

Paddy shone because he was amongst a lot of dross, Buckley was part of a good team.

I'd say that Buckley is today a better player than Paddy is too.

Poll: DF in or out

Best player to don the shirt on 13:25 - Dec 4 with 1228 viewsdeezel

How high would Paul Butler rank in the best player list?
Best player to don the shirt on 13:27 - Dec 4 with 1225 viewsmaybee

Best player to don the shirt on 13:17 - Dec 4 by ColDale

why is it Buckley doesn't seem to inspire the same level of praise that Paddy did? I reckon at a similar age, Buckley contributed more in terms of appearances, goals, assists and influences on matches. That's not knocking Paddy, but I'd have said that Buckley was certainly the better player for Dale.

I think it's because Paddy had the ability to thrill supporters with his sheer skill and balance ... the drop of a shoulder, or a quick turn that would leave opposition players in his wake and looking silly.

Buckley had far more pace, and was adept at winning us penalties, but it's Paddy that a football purist will remember more.

Both great players though. At least we got money for Buckley, whilst the awful treatment of (a very young) Paddy still annoys me.

However, if we are talking wingers, an honourable mention should go to

Norman Whitehead
Alan Taylor
Bobby Hoy
Tony Whelan
Eui Martinez

Sadly, at present, we are being denied the chance to witness wing play, which is (to my mind) one of the most exciting aspects of the whole game.
Best player to don the shirt on 13:37 - Dec 4 with 1215 viewsfitzochris

Best player to don the shirt on 13:25 - Dec 4 by deezel

How high would Paul Butler rank in the best player list?

Fairly high.

Solid centre half that played in a poor Dale side for the most part. Played his best football after Dale.

He's from the same neck of the woods as my dad's side of the family n'all. Not that that has anything to do with anything.

Blog: Rochdale 2018/19 part three: Getting points on the board

Best player to don the shirt on 13:44 - Dec 4 with 1204 viewsR17ALE

Best player to don the shirt on 13:27 - Dec 4 by maybee

I think it's because Paddy had the ability to thrill supporters with his sheer skill and balance ... the drop of a shoulder, or a quick turn that would leave opposition players in his wake and looking silly.

Buckley had far more pace, and was adept at winning us penalties, but it's Paddy that a football purist will remember more.

Both great players though. At least we got money for Buckley, whilst the awful treatment of (a very young) Paddy still annoys me.

Norman Whitehead
Alan Taylor
Bobby Hoy
Tony Whelan
Eui Martinez

Sadly, at present, we are being denied the chance to witness wing play, which is (to my mind) one of the most exciting aspects of the whole game.

Fully agree. Surprised you missed out Carl Harris, Mark Gavin, Mark Stuart, Andy Milner, even Adam Rundle deserves a mention I'd say.

Any student of Dale will know that we have had more than our fair share of good wingers, and when we have had a good pair, results at home invariably are better.

Poll: Who do you think bury should appoint as their next manager?

Best player to don the shirt on 13:58 - Dec 4 with 1190 viewsolympicdale

Best player to don the shirt on 13:27 - Dec 4 by maybee

Norman Whitehead
Alan Taylor
Bobby Hoy
Tony Whelan
Eui Martinez

It's the old fashioned way of watching football, having two out and out wingers bombing down each side, back when the full backs never strayed past the half way line for fear of nosebleeds, much simpler times. 4-4-2 has been replaced with the 3 forwards now, with 2 masquerading as wingers.

Life is a game of fate.

Best player to don the shirt on 14:10 - Dec 4 with 1180 viewsBobbyjoe

Best player to don the shirt on 13:17 - Dec 4 by ColDale

why is it Buckley doesn't seem to inspire the same level of praise that Paddy did? I reckon at a similar age, Buckley contributed more in terms of appearances, goals, assists and influences on matches. That's not knocking Paddy, but I'd have said that Buckley was certainly the better player for Dale.

Buckley was a fabulous player, Col, worth the admission-money, as were (nearly) all mentioned in this thread (and many others, like Tony Buck, for example). Indeed I'd rather watch any of these players lose than watch the current team win. But I still maintain Paddy alone was unique, the street-urchin who shouldn't have been able to make monkeys of hard-bitten, professional, competent fellow-players but did every time; not the most valuable, or a particular contributor to any success, just an utter joy to watch.
Best player to don the shirt on 15:38 - Dec 4 with 1144 viewstonic

BEN MUIRHEAD is well up there for wingers, rapid pace, and il never forget that penalty, Paddy was amazing, the most talented player ever at Rochdale, im suprised nobody is mentioning Paul Tait???

;)
Login to get fewer ads

Best player to don the shirt on 18:57 - Dec 4 with 1109 viewsChaffRAFC

Very hard to single out one player but Paddy McCourt was the most exciting player I've ever seen in a Dale shirt. When on form he was unbelievable and I've never seen as much anticipation when a player picks up the ball as there was with Paddy. Genius.

I think our best ever striker is Grant Holt. He had absolutely everything, he was strong, he was skillful, superb in the air and a very good finisher. His goal against Macclesfield is the best I've ever seen from a Dale player. I'll never forget Holt playing against Hull City up front on his own at the KC Stadium the year Hull won the league. He was playing against the best defenders in the league who looked like they were already Championship quality and he bullied everyone of them. They could barely handle him between the four of them. It's the best forward performance I've seen from any Dale player. Obviously honourable mentions have to go to Chris O'Grady who was brilliant for us, Rickie Lambert who had more natural talent than any other Dale striker, very much in the Matt Le Tissier mould. I've always wondered what he could have done in a good Dale side as opposed to standing out in a poor side. Steve Whitehall was the first Dale striker I remember and also deserves a shout.

Gary Jones is the biggest legend in our club's history and a superb player. Paul Simpson was also quite a fabulous player and deserves a mention.

Craig Dawson is easily the best defender we've ever seen, surpassing Alan Reeves for me. A centre-half who can score 10 goals a season is something else. He'd have been our top scorer with that last season.

Genuinely can't single one out so my top three would be Grant Holt, Paddy McCourt and Craig Dawson.

If I hadn't seen such riches, I could live with being poor

Best player to don the shirt on 19:05 - Dec 4 with 1099 viewsolympicdale

Best player to don the shirt on 15:38 - Dec 4 by tonic

BEN MUIRHEAD is well up there for wingers, rapid pace, and il never forget that penalty, Paddy was amazing, the most talented player ever at Rochdale, im suprised nobody is mentioning Paul Tait???

;)

I think Grant Holt would have had Tait on his list.

Life is a game of fate.

Best player to don the shirt on 19:21 - Dec 5 with 1040 viewsFatBoyCassy

Wayne Evans?
Best player to don the shirt on 19:34 - Dec 5 with 1032 viewsfitzochris

Best player to don the shirt on 19:21 - Dec 5 by FatBoyCassy

Wayne Evans?

Yes, and Lee Todd. An excellent full back combo.

Blog: Rochdale 2018/19 part three: Getting points on the board

Best player to don the shirt on 19:36 - Dec 5 with 1029 viewsBeefCurtain

I guess it all depends on how you look at it really. I think it's hard to look past O'Grady purely because of how much we missed him when he wasn't in the side (one of the most irreplaceable players I've ever seen at Dale). In terms of the most exciting players, Buckley/McCourt have to be up there as there was always that aforementioned anticipation whenever they were on the ball. If we're talking about goalscoring, it has to be Holt for me but Lambert runs a close second and his free-kicks were majestic at times.

Everyone's had beef with beef curtain.

Best player to don the shirt on 20:09 - Dec 5 with 1013 viewsPDIDDY

Best player to don the shirt on 12:10 - Dec 4 by olympicdale

We've had some crackers in the past 6 years, but I'd have to vote for Will Buckley, I used to love watching him play, I too used to think, "pass it to Buckley" I always remember the Aldershot manager, after the game coming out and saying they could have had "2 men marking Buckley and we still wouldn't have been able to catch him".

Always thought he looked premier lg class............... His diving anyway

Gissa job

Best player to don the shirt on 23:35 - Dec 5 with 990 viewsTomRAFC

personally i think holt and perkins were the two players with the most consistent impact on the side

personal favourites remain those moments of magic paddy gifted us and alan mcloughlins brief spell during the playoff season under parkin/JHo

Poll: Would you have Keith Hill back?

Best player to don the shirt on 08:45 - Dec 6 with 961 viewsScunnydale

Best player to don the shirt on 10:38 - Dec 4 by fitzochris

You haven't been watching Dale very long if that's your best squad.

Although to be fair to you, we have been blessed with an abundance talent in the latter half of the 2000s.

It is difficult to define THE best player I've seen in a Dale shirt.

What do you base it on? Skill? Length of service? Effort on the pitch?

In the early days I would have said Steve Whitehall, Alan Reeves, Mark Stuart, Alex Russell or Jason Peake.

Since then, we’ve had the likes of Neil Edwards, Clive Platt, Paul Connor, Paddy and Simmo.

Then Lambert and Holt.

Latterly, Murray, Dagnall, ALF, Buckly, Dawson, COG.

It’s too fookin hard to pick one of them over the others.

Joe Latterly?

When I first started watching Dale, the ones who stood out were Whitehall and Peake. Whitehall was an excellent finisher and I can only hope his son is like his dad.
Peake seemed to have that little bit of class - some awesome goals from deep.

Paddy - incredible skill. It was an utter joy watching him play, regardless of the result. Made me proud to be a Dale fan
Buckley - very good, did a lot for the team but, for some reason, I never got the same feeling watching him as I did with Paddy. Maybe it's because I didn't get over to see as many games at that point.
Jones - a great servant and so crucial to our team for many years.
Holt/Lambert/Daggers/CoG - Struggle to choose between them.
Dawson - again, made me proud to support Dale. Was chatting to a City fan recently whose WBA mate has been raving about him. The City fan had seen a few U21 games and realised this lad was special. I, in no uncertain terms, confirmed he was!

There are others that I've missed out: Butler/Reeves/Dave Thompson/Perkinho/Taff etc.

But if I had to choose, I'd suggest Paddy or Dawson. Or Holt/Lambert/Daggers/Cog!

Best player to don the shirt on 12:28 - Dec 6 with 924 viewsdeeplishblue

Best player to don the shirt on 22:31 - Dec 3 by D_Alien

I think we're all missing the point of this thread.

http://forum.wordreference.com/showthread.php?t=5265

Isn't it about who best "donned" the shirt?

I think that I will go for Bobby Charlton then.

Poll: Do you want bury to get promoted?

Best player to don the shirt on 20:27 - Dec 6 with 877 viewsThacks_Rabbits

Best player to don the shirt on 12:28 - Dec 6 by deeplishblue

I think that I will go for Bobby Charlton then.

John Ryan?

Every Team Needs A John Ryan - The Winger Who's a Ringer!!!!!
Poll: Which player would you rather have if Twitter rumour is correct (unlikely)

Best player to don the shirt on 12:50 - Dec 7 with 845 viewsStudiousDale

"don't sell McCourt, Paddy McCourt, I just don't think you understand
that if you sell McCourt, Paddy McCourth, you're going to have a riot on your hands".

Buckley is a top player but Paddy's natural ability and dribbling skills are so much higher. If he had played in the 80s...

[Post edited 1 Jan 1970 1:00]
Best player to don the shirt on 20:49 - Dec 7 with 796 viewsThacks_Rabbits

Best player to don the shirt on 12:50 - Dec 7 by StudiousDale

"don't sell McCourt, Paddy McCourt, I just don't think you understand
that if you sell McCourt, Paddy McCourth, you're going to have a riot on your hands".

Buckley is a top player but Paddy's natural ability and dribbling skills are so much higher. If he had played in the 80s...

[Post edited 1 Jan 1970 1:00]

Well at least we did not sell him - gave him away - lad was in tears as he left apparently - having said that - he probably had to stop for breath on the way to the plane!

Most talented played we have ever had - yes - best player we have ever had - no

Every Team Needs A John Ryan - The Winger Who's a Ringer!!!!!
Poll: Which player would you rather have if Twitter rumour is correct (unlikely)

Best player to don the shirt on 20:51 - Dec 7 with 789 viewsPops2

Best player to don the shirt on 20:49 - Dec 7 by Thacks_Rabbits

Well at least we did not sell him - gave him away - lad was in tears as he left apparently - having said that - he probably had to stop for breath on the way to the plane!

Most talented played we have ever had - yes - best player we have ever had - no

Brian Barry Murphy gets my vote. Is he still at your gaff?
Best player to don the shirt on 21:00 - Dec 7 with 781 viewsDaley_Lama

He is but he's about 74th in the pecking order for a game it would seem despite all evidence showing that he is a far finer player than some of our usual 18 match day squad.

Poll: DF in or out

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024