Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Rochdale fifth in the league. 09:47 - Aug 15 with 6104 viewsmingthemerciless

According to Government statistics Rochdale is fifth in the league when it comes to housing asylum seekers. This is more than the whole of the South East of England. Only Glasgow, Liverpool, Birmingham and Cardiff have housed more.

The Home Secretary, Mrs May's constituency of Maidenhead has housed four . Our Prime Minster, Mr Cameron's constituency of West Oxfordshire has housed none since 2008.

Any Tory apologists like to comment of the fairness of this policy ?
Rochdale fifth in the league. on 16:25 - Aug 15 with 1860 viewsD_Alien

Rochdale fifth in the league. on 16:17 - Aug 15 by 1mark1

There was plenty of immigration happening prior to 1997, and indeed it was THATCHER who signed up to the agreements that led to migration freedom of movement within EU countries. The mistake the last Lab government made, was to underestimate, the numbers that would be coming in, so therefore failing to ensure enough, housing, hospitals, schools and other infrastructure to be built. This failing been carried on by the Tory governments. Also the Lab and Tory governments could and should have levied an higher minimum enforceable minimum wage, to stop the problems of undercutting of wages that lead to the problems faced by workers.

However this is about asylum seekers, which is a totally different issue, and it is the government that decides where they go to, not the local authority. Again the problems arise because the central government don't give the extra resources and help needed by the local authorities, when they are required to take in asylum seekers. So yes it is the governments fault, they are not building the infrastructure required.

http://www.migrationwatchuk.org/pressArticle/83

Enough said.

Poll: What are you planning to do v Newport

Rochdale fifth in the league. on 16:50 - Aug 15 with 1815 views1mark1

Rochdale fifth in the league. on 16:25 - Aug 15 by D_Alien

http://www.migrationwatchuk.org/pressArticle/83

Enough said.

Migration watch are really amusing, because they try to pin all the blame for immigration on just the Labour party. Yet they forget to mention the following points.

The vast majority of immigration was from the EU, which could not be prevented . Immigration as continued since 2010 on the same kind of levels, as previously, which shows that the Tories, are just as responsible for mass immigration as Labour are. The start of mass immigration in the 50's occurred not under a Labour government, and indeed under every Tory government the immigration levels have been as high at least as under Labour. Immigrants from the EU, cannot vote in General elections.

Now who was responsible for signing the treaties that allowed free movement of EU nationals? It was TORY prime-ministers, not Labour. Migration watch, are not some kind of neutral organisation, they conveinantly forget that the governments they support and supported ,allowed mass immigration and signed treaties that allowed mass immigration and free movement that also benefits British people. Could be called hypocritical really.

ALL the governments have failed re immigration, by not building as required the infrastructure, especially housing, while deliberately allowing social housing levels to fall.

Enough said!
[Post edited 15 Aug 2015 16:50]

Poll: How much is your support for the Royals?

Rochdale fifth in the league. on 16:51 - Aug 15 with 1813 viewsmingthemerciless

Be that as it may it still doesn't explain why the Prime Minister's constituency of West Oxfordshire hasn't taken in ONE person in seven years or why Rochdale has taken in more than the whole of the South East of England. The Tories have had five years to even out the load and as far as I can see they've made it worse.

I'm not anti immigrant by the way, I just want a fair deal. The Government should be pouring money into the services of the town to help alleviate the problems, instead they are taking it away.
Rochdale fifth in the league. on 16:54 - Aug 15 with 1803 viewsD_Alien

Rochdale fifth in the league. on 16:50 - Aug 15 by 1mark1

Migration watch are really amusing, because they try to pin all the blame for immigration on just the Labour party. Yet they forget to mention the following points.

The vast majority of immigration was from the EU, which could not be prevented . Immigration as continued since 2010 on the same kind of levels, as previously, which shows that the Tories, are just as responsible for mass immigration as Labour are. The start of mass immigration in the 50's occurred not under a Labour government, and indeed under every Tory government the immigration levels have been as high at least as under Labour. Immigrants from the EU, cannot vote in General elections.

Now who was responsible for signing the treaties that allowed free movement of EU nationals? It was TORY prime-ministers, not Labour. Migration watch, are not some kind of neutral organisation, they conveinantly forget that the governments they support and supported ,allowed mass immigration and signed treaties that allowed mass immigration and free movement that also benefits British people. Could be called hypocritical really.

ALL the governments have failed re immigration, by not building as required the infrastructure, especially housing, while deliberately allowing social housing levels to fall.

Enough said!

Yes, all governments have failed, as you say.

But only ONE administration set out to deliberately increase immigration without any regard to infrastructure as a matter of policy, to try and suit their own ends. Backfired miserably, as it deserved.

Tories left to try and clean up the mess, yet again, and getting it in the neck from people with extreme myopia.

More than enough said.

[Post edited 15 Aug 2015 16:55]

Rochdale fifth in the league. on 17:08 - Aug 15 with 1771 viewsBobbyjoe

Rochdale fifth in the league. on 16:50 - Aug 15 by 1mark1

Enough said!

But, mark, (and, don't get me wrong, I'm pro-EU, pro-freedom of movement, pro-immigration), EU rules mean that the entire population of the EU could, in theory, all migrate to one country, one city. how does any government provide infrastructure for that? Politics has no answer to anything any more (if it ever had). Macmillan had it right 50 years ago,"Events, dear boy, events..."
Rochdale fifth in the league. on 17:19 - Aug 15 with 1743 views1mark1

Rochdale fifth in the league. on 17:08 - Aug 15 by Bobbyjoe

But, mark, (and, don't get me wrong, I'm pro-EU, pro-freedom of movement, pro-immigration), EU rules mean that the entire population of the EU could, in theory, all migrate to one country, one city. how does any government provide infrastructure for that? Politics has no answer to anything any more (if it ever had). Macmillan had it right 50 years ago,"Events, dear boy, events..."

You are right , in theory that's the case, but how many in reality would really want to come here from another EU country? The numbers that have come could easily have been accommodated with decent provision of infrastructure, there was never going to be the 10's of millions of migrants, like the Mail and Migration Watch etc said would happen.

The organisations that benefit from cheap immigrant work-forces, should be forced to pay more taxes, and therefore contribute to the infrastructure and services to accommodate these workers.

Rochdale fifth in the league. on 17:20 - Aug 15 with 1740 viewsisitme

Rochdale fifth in the league. on 16:51 - Aug 15 by mingthemerciless

Be that as it may it still doesn't explain why the Prime Minister's constituency of West Oxfordshire hasn't taken in ONE person in seven years or why Rochdale has taken in more than the whole of the South East of England. The Tories have had five years to even out the load and as far as I can see they've made it worse.

I'm not anti immigrant by the way, I just want a fair deal. The Government should be pouring money into the services of the town to help alleviate the problems, instead they are taking it away.

I answered your question earlier. Rent is cheaper in Rochdale. The council are prepared to take the money that comes with housing them and there is a greater availability of council properties.

Imagine paying £1500 a month for rent in Whitny rather than £400 in Rochdale of tax payer's money.
Rochdale fifth in the league. on 17:21 - Aug 15 with 1728 viewsDaley_Lama

Can admin please change the thread title to

Rochdale second in the league

#enjoythingswhilewecan

Poll: DF in or out

Login to get fewer ads

Rochdale fifth in the league. on 17:21 - Aug 15 with 1728 views1mark1

Rochdale fifth in the league. on 16:51 - Aug 15 by mingthemerciless

Absolutely correct.

Rochdale fifth in the league. on 17:24 - Aug 15 with 1709 viewsisitme

Rochdale fifth in the league. on 17:19 - Aug 15 by 1mark1

You are right , in theory that's the case, but how many in reality would really want to come here from another EU country? The numbers that have come could easily have been accommodated with decent provision of infrastructure, there was never going to be the 10's of millions of migrants, like the Mail and Migration Watch etc said would happen.

The organisations that benefit from cheap immigrant work-forces, should be forced to pay more taxes, and therefore contribute to the infrastructure and services to accommodate these workers.

EU migration is seen as being economically beneficial to the country. Socially make up your own mind. Where there is a massive problem is with unskilled migration from outside the EU. Most of the illegal immigrants at Calais are from Sudan, Eritrea and Somalia. With another large concentration from Syria. Europe cannot house everyone from Africa and the Middle East who wants to come. Also this has massive social and cultural issues for many people who don't want the fabric of their societies changed to the extent it has been.
Rochdale fifth in the league. on 17:30 - Aug 15 with 1701 viewsBobbyjoe

Rochdale fifth in the league. on 17:19 - Aug 15 by 1mark1

A politician's answer, mark. I abhor the Daily Mail and all it stands for. But you can't provide infrastructure overnight. Britain is currently attractive to many EU citizens at the moment, not just the poor, huddled masses. But these things go in cycles; in five or ten years' time there may be mass emigration to whichever country is then enjoying a relative economic boom.
Rochdale fifth in the league. on 17:32 - Aug 15 with 1692 viewsD_Alien

Rochdale fifth in the league. on 17:21 - Aug 15 by Daley_Lama

Can admin please change the thread title to

Rochdale second in the league

#enjoythingswhilewecan

We are.

Aren't you?

Rochdale fifth in the league. on 17:33 - Aug 15 with 1685 viewsDaley_Lama

Rochdale fifth in the league. on 17:32 - Aug 15 by D_Alien

We are.

Aren't you?

Too blinking right i am

Rochdale fifth in the league. on 17:33 - Aug 15 with 1678 viewsD_Alien

Rochdale fifth in the league. on 17:33 - Aug 15 by Daley_Lama

Too blinking right i am

Good

Rochdale fifth in the league. on 17:35 - Aug 15 with 1660 viewsDaley_Lama

I'm glad you approve

Rochdale fifth in the league. on 17:38 - Aug 15 with 1603 viewsD_Alien

Rochdale fifth in the league. on 17:35 - Aug 15 by Daley_Lama

I'm glad you approve

I approve of blinking

[Post edited 15 Aug 2015 17:39]

Rochdale fifth in the league. on 17:38 - Aug 15 with 1603 views1mark1

Rochdale fifth in the league. on 17:30 - Aug 15 by Bobbyjoe

A politician's answer, mark. I abhor the Daily Mail and all it stands for. But you can't provide infrastructure overnight. Britain is currently attractive to many EU citizens at the moment, not just the poor, huddled masses. But these things go in cycles; in five or ten years' time there may be mass emigration to whichever country is then enjoying a relative economic boom.

But the big increase didn't happen over night, I accept that it is impossible to always keep up with demand, but governments since 1997 have failed to build enough housing and allowed (often encouraged) at the same time the demise in numbers of available social housing.

And yes in a few years time, we will have migration away from this country, that when it suits UK citizens to do so, like in the past.

(No subject) (n/t) on 17:45 - Aug 15 with 1575 viewsisitme

Rochdale fifth in the league. on 17:38 - Aug 15 by 1mark1

But the big increase didn't happen over night, I accept that it is impossible to always keep up with demand, but governments since 1997 have failed to build enough housing and allowed (often encouraged) at the same time the demise in numbers of available social housing.

And yes in a few years time, we will have migration away from this country, that when it suits UK citizens to do so, like in the past.

Rochdale fifth in the league. on 18:40 - Aug 15 with 1512 viewsmingthemerciless

Rochdale fifth in the league. on 17:20 - Aug 15 by isitme

I answered your question earlier. Rent is cheaper in Rochdale. The council are prepared to take the money that comes with housing them and there is a greater availability of council properties.

Imagine paying £1500 a month for rent in Whitny rather than £400 in Rochdale of tax payer's money.

You make it sound like the council can afford to turn down the money being offered to housed asylum seekers. The Government has taken away so much funding that realistically the council has no choice in the matter.

The cynic in me sees it as a Government ploy to encourage the UKIP vote in the Labour heartlands.
Rochdale fifth in the league. on 20:40 - Aug 15 with 1418 views49thseason

A few points:
Rochdale council has failed to collect £13.8M in council taxes in 2014/15 that's about £150 for every dwelling in Rochdale. But it continues to pursue vanity projects like opening up the town centre. The requirement for more Government funding would be reduced if they simply collected what is owed.
By the way,Wandsworth's Band D bill for 2012/13 was £684, compared to a London average of more than £1,300 and Rochdale's was £1482.00

ONS Immigration figures:
In 2014 the statistically significant increase of 30,000 in immigration of non-EU citizens to 272,000 was in part driven by an increase in immigration to accompany/join others up 19,000 to 54,000. This follows a steady decline in non-EU immigration since the recent peak of 334,000 in the year ending September 2011. (ONS) (ie the Government elected in 2010 cut back non EU immigration after 2011)

There were 24,300 asylum applications in the year ending September 2014, an increase of 2% compared with the previous 12 months (23,800), but low relative to the 2002 (Labour Government) peak of 84,100. (ONS)

- National Insurance Number (NINo) registrations to adult overseas nationals increased by 12% to 668,000 in the year ending September 2014 from the previous year. Romanian citizens had the highest number of registrations (104,000), followed by Polish citizens (98,000). The Guardian reported in 2013 that "Migration Matters" (whoever they are) estimated Romanian immigration would be 20,000 max. Whereas Immigration Watch was suggesting 300,000 - so which figures are nearer the truth?

Rochdale's problems are to deeply embedded to be solved by simply throwing money at them and a local council which seems to have so few ideas about how to bring "proper" jobs to the Borough will cut little ice in Westminster. We haven't heard too much from Farnell or Danczuk about the Northern Powerhouse and what it means for Rochdale, my bet is they want nothing to do with it and once more Rochdale will pay the price for playing politics instead of pragmatism. They are content for this to become a Manchester dormitory town and not interested in attracting real jobs and skilled workers who after all will probably not vote for them.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024