Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Classic Hillism 20:50 - Apr 11 with 5141 views49thseason

"You can't wait and see - waiters work in restaurants - We can't wait and see what the opposition are going to offer up"
http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/32179774
Classic Hillism on 22:04 - Apr 11 with 4885 viewsmr_fri_night

That wasn't his only one. Think his other will have to be edited out of all broadcastable sound bites!!
Classic Hillism on 22:48 - Apr 11 with 4741 viewsKenBoon

Classic Hillism on 22:04 - Apr 11 by mr_fri_night

That wasn't his only one. Think his other will have to be edited out of all broadcastable sound bites!!

There is a crafty cut in the DalePlayer interview before he makes the terrible Allen Key joke and it looks like everyone has been laughing - not at the Allen Key joke because it was terrible.

He has some interesting comments on Swindon about Loan Players. I know in 2010 we had lots of loans, but they generally were either Goalkeepers or filling in for Injuries (or COG). The spine of the team was pretty much all ours.
[Post edited 11 Apr 2015 22:57]
Classic Hillism on 00:12 - Apr 12 with 4622 viewsdingdangblue

Classic Hillism on 22:48 - Apr 11 by KenBoon

There is a crafty cut in the DalePlayer interview before he makes the terrible Allen Key joke and it looks like everyone has been laughing - not at the Allen Key joke because it was terrible.

He has some interesting comments on Swindon about Loan Players. I know in 2010 we had lots of loans, but they generally were either Goalkeepers or filling in for Injuries (or COG). The spine of the team was pretty much all ours.
[Post edited 11 Apr 2015 22:57]

Barnsley have 7 loans and have only been able to play 5 because those are the rules. So they are paying 2 players who cant play matches.

Its a BRILLIANT goal to cap a BRILLIANT start by Rochdale - Don Goodman 26/08/10
Poll: Are fans more annoyed losing or not playing Henderson centre forward?

Classic Hillism on 00:33 - Apr 12 with 4585 viewsmacro

Classic Hillism on 00:12 - Apr 12 by dingdangblue

Barnsley have 7 loans and have only been able to play 5 because those are the rules. So they are paying 2 players who cant play matches.

If the terms of the loan say the parent clubs have to pay the wages then yes.

Hereford did it a few years ago had five fantastic loanees and got promoted, didn't go well after that though!!
Classic Hillism on 15:05 - Apr 12 with 4144 viewsWhiteyBFC

He once said that exact remark when our manager.

Not as good as the five minute story about a young bull and an old bull on the edge of a field full of cows, with the old bull explaining to the eager young bull that rushing in and shagging them all will only cause you brief ecstasy whereas taking your time to court the right cow will leave you in ecstasy forever.

Absolute gold.
Classic Hillism on 18:41 - Apr 12 with 3905 viewsYadHoDale

Classic Hillism on 15:05 - Apr 12 by WhiteyBFC

He once said that exact remark when our manager.

Not as good as the five minute story about a young bull and an old bull on the edge of a field full of cows, with the old bull explaining to the eager young bull that rushing in and shagging them all will only cause you brief ecstasy whereas taking your time to court the right cow will leave you in ecstasy forever.

Absolute gold.

No wonder he got sacked at Barnsley then.

Now if he'd amended the story to involve Rams and Tups (or possibly kestrels) it might have been understood more readily by his listeners :)
Classic Hillism on 20:10 - Apr 12 with 3805 viewsWhiteyBFC

Classic Hillism on 18:41 - Apr 12 by YadHoDale

No wonder he got sacked at Barnsley then.

Now if he'd amended the story to involve Rams and Tups (or possibly kestrels) it might have been understood more readily by his listeners :)

When we were winning, and he came out with stuff like that, he was adored like no other before or since. When we lost and he still came out with gold, folk laughed and went easy on the team etc. But when we lost a lot, and he whinged, blaming everybody but himself, he lost the fans. And then when we got a rare win, he'd whinge at the fans.

He could have succeeded here, if he wasn't what he is.

But he is. And I wouldn't change him for the world. Wonderful bloke, great manager but as a manager his attitude towards supporters will not work outside of Rochdale.
Classic Hillism on 01:15 - Apr 13 with 3579 viewspioneer

Classic Hillism on 20:10 - Apr 12 by WhiteyBFC

When we were winning, and he came out with stuff like that, he was adored like no other before or since. When we lost and he still came out with gold, folk laughed and went easy on the team etc. But when we lost a lot, and he whinged, blaming everybody but himself, he lost the fans. And then when we got a rare win, he'd whinge at the fans.

He could have succeeded here, if he wasn't what he is.

But he is. And I wouldn't change him for the world. Wonderful bloke, great manager but as a manager his attitude towards supporters will not work outside of Rochdale.

given the crowds we are getting it might be asked does it work even in Rochdale.
Login to get fewer ads

Classic Hillism on 09:17 - Apr 13 with 3427 viewsdingdangblue

Classic Hillism on 01:15 - Apr 13 by pioneer

given the crowds we are getting it might be asked does it work even in Rochdale.

You think our crowds are low because of Keith Hill?

Its a BRILLIANT goal to cap a BRILLIANT start by Rochdale - Don Goodman 26/08/10

Classic Hillism on 13:32 - Apr 13 with 3242 viewspioneer

Classic Hillism on 09:17 - Apr 13 by dingdangblue

You think our crowds are low because of Keith Hill?

Just reflecting on the previous comment and wondering whether Rochdale is the exception where nobody cares about what the manager says (about them).

I dont think he has driven away any of the solid core but I do think he has not embraced the notion of attracting bigger crowds. But then he is working at an organisation where that has never been a serious part of any strategic plan.

With encouragement I expect he could be much more of a force in attracting more spectators but that would need the right folks to support and encourage him on the marketing side.
Classic Hillism on 14:20 - Apr 13 with 3208 viewsdingdangblue

Classic Hillism on 13:32 - Apr 13 by pioneer

Just reflecting on the previous comment and wondering whether Rochdale is the exception where nobody cares about what the manager says (about them).

I dont think he has driven away any of the solid core but I do think he has not embraced the notion of attracting bigger crowds. But then he is working at an organisation where that has never been a serious part of any strategic plan.

With encouragement I expect he could be much more of a force in attracting more spectators but that would need the right folks to support and encourage him on the marketing side.

At the end of the day though he has been part of rally cries in the past, some quite original poster campaigns in his previous spell - and it hasn't seen any massive improvements in crowds unfortunately. When your town cant be arsed turning up for 2 promotion parties (Northampton in 2010 and Cheltenham in 2014) Hilly really is pissing in the wind whatever comes out of his mouth. Most other towns with a chance of securing promotion would see near capacity crowds for those type of games - ours were played out in a half empty stadium which is sad

Classic Hillism on 14:43 - Apr 13 with 3175 viewsD_Alien

Classic Hillism on 14:20 - Apr 13 by dingdangblue

At the end of the day though he has been part of rally cries in the past, some quite original poster campaigns in his previous spell - and it hasn't seen any massive improvements in crowds unfortunately. When your town cant be arsed turning up for 2 promotion parties (Northampton in 2010 and Cheltenham in 2014) Hilly really is pissing in the wind whatever comes out of his mouth. Most other towns with a chance of securing promotion would see near capacity crowds for those type of games - ours were played out in a half empty stadium which is sad

But this has to be contrasted with the capacity crowd who turned up for the playoff semifinal in 2008, and then went to Wembley in even bigger numbers.

Nothing was done to retain those additional fans. By the time we played the auto promotion fixtures, the outcome (i.e. promotion) didn't hinge on the game and wasn't really in doubt.

The more recent gates in the FA Cup also show what the potential might be if we were to make it to the championship - not week in week out, but the overall average could easily be doubled. We do need the manager to act as an ambassador for the club on all occasions, and not just by putting out teams we (as regulars) feel very proud to support.

Poll: What are you planning to do v Newport

Classic Hillism on 16:57 - Apr 13 with 3043 viewsWhiteyBFC

Classic Hillism on 01:15 - Apr 13 by pioneer

I know a fair few of our supporters who hated him, and it affected their attending of games. He's not going to be everyone's cup of tea. I suppose Cloughie could be similarly obnoxious etc, but the big difference was that he won games, cups etc. If you're taking over a club with a very limited budget, you've took that on knowing the score, the last thing you do is endlessly refer to that limited budget or try and educate folk who've supported that club for years fully aware of the financial limits at Barnsley.

I hoped he'd learnt a lot, despite his failing at Oakwell. But having listened to him since I don't feel he's changed in interviews for the better. I can only imagine how bad it would have been had he oversaw a shocking season this term. He's a terrible loser.

However, at this level and with Dale in general he's a great winner/manager. We'll only learn more about him should Dale achieve promotion or should he take another job at second tier level.

But trust me, he wouldn't have lasted as long as he did at Barnsley, with any other Championship club at that time. And as much as most of us felt he had to go when he did, there wasn't any chanting to get him out etc.

Rambling now.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024