Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Show time! 20:08 - Aug 2 with 9400 viewsRotherhamDale

Now pre-season has just about finished, where do people think we are?

I think that we're a striker and a centre half off being a mid table side. I just can't see us doing as well as we did last time as we don't have the individual quality that we did last time around.

Finishing mid table would still be a good achievement though. I'd settle for about 17th right now.

Possession with progression.

Show time! on 20:21 - Aug 2 with 6258 views442Dale

While agreeing we do need reinforcements, the standard of play from the young players who have been fully involved in these friendlies is cause for real optimism. In the past you might see brief appearances from youngsters and it would understandably see "they aren't ready yet" reactions. Now that still might be the case in reality, but at the same time seeing a bench next week of Cannon, Camps and Logan would be of no concern whatsoever and you'd half expect them to come on and do something.

It's the flip side of "it's only a friendly" argument, wherein you can't get carried away with positives as much as the negatives aren't worth worrying about too much. However, again, a game of football is just that and the introduction of our subs today saw them dominate a team full of experienced campaigners. Bury brought on the likes of Sedgwick and Thompson, but it was ours who made the difference.

Poll: Greatest Ever Dale Game

Show time! on 21:11 - Aug 2 with 6166 viewsColDale

I think there's an element of forgetting what the last time in League One was like We had a real struggle and up until Xmas, we were in a relegation battle. Was only the upturn in form after Xmas which gave us the sniff of the Play offs.

At times, I get the impression that something not as successful as last time will be seen as disappointment. At no stage should we ever forget the fact that we'll have the lowest budget in the division next season.
Show time! on 21:24 - Aug 2 with 6126 viewsTalkingSutty

Show time! on 20:21 - Aug 2 by 442Dale

While agreeing we do need reinforcements, the standard of play from the young players who have been fully involved in these friendlies is cause for real optimism. In the past you might see brief appearances from youngsters and it would understandably see "they aren't ready yet" reactions. Now that still might be the case in reality, but at the same time seeing a bench next week of Cannon, Camps and Logan would be of no concern whatsoever and you'd half expect them to come on and do something.

It's the flip side of "it's only a friendly" argument, wherein you can't get carried away with positives as much as the negatives aren't worth worrying about too much. However, again, a game of football is just that and the introduction of our subs today saw them dominate a team full of experienced campaigners. Bury brought on the likes of Sedgwick and Thompson, but it was ours who made the difference.

As it stands today I think it will be a struggle but we all know Hilly will be recruiting over the next few weeks so it's not easy to predict what will happen. Midfield is very strong and if we can recruit a quality centre half and find a goal scorer then I see us pushing around mid table, those two positions are crucial.

I don't think Rochdale Football Club has even been in a stronger position in its history. We have money in the bank with probably more due to come from players like Dawson and Hogan. We also have a batch of good young players waiting in the wings who are all getting better and better. No matter how this season pans out the future looks good.
Show time! on 22:16 - Aug 2 with 6006 viewszxcvbnm

Lillis
Rafferty
Rose
Tanser
Lancashire
Fox (if signed)
Lund
Allen
Done
Henderson
Andrew

Subs
Diba, Eastham, Vincenti, Bunney (if fit), Bennett, Camps, Hery

That's might guess at the team on Saturday

Poll: Best loanee keeper

Show time! on 22:35 - Aug 2 with 5955 viewsD_Alien

Show time! on 21:11 - Aug 2 by ColDale

I think there's an element of forgetting what the last time in League One was like We had a real struggle and up until Xmas, we were in a relegation battle. Was only the upturn in form after Xmas which gave us the sniff of the Play offs.

At times, I get the impression that something not as successful as last time will be seen as disappointment. At no stage should we ever forget the fact that we'll have the lowest budget in the division next season.

I'm not sure that's giving the full picture.

We might well have flirted with the bottom third of the table towards the end of 2010, but the start we had and in particular the sensational performances against Soton away and Huddersfield at home before the end of September meant there was huge optimism that we could hold our own in the division.

If we're anywhere near the level of performance by the end of September this time round I'll be over the moon - if we're not, I won't be sick as a parrot.

Poll: What are you planning to do v Newport

Show time! on 00:23 - Aug 3 with 5793 viewsregjenkins

What i would love to see more than anything at our club is a year on year progression as opposed to a sprint away from the starting block on 9th August. For me its about staying put in Div 1 for the foreseeable future, and if that's mid table for a couple of seasons then so be it. Its about where we are in five and then ten seasons. Squad development and a steady management. With that, will hopefully, come ever increasing status and fan base. Our last forage into league 1 was great and give us some great memories in the first season. That attracted bigger clubs to our management and things went flat. we the fans can only hope things become sustainable long term and if that means turning out young players and selling them on then that's the way forward. The team needs to play sustainable 1st Div football for the the next decade and not just two seasons. That way the finances will be look after themselves and we can put the team firmly on the map. Anyone see any reasons that cannot be achieved at Dale?

' I started out with nothing and i still got most of it left'

Show time! on 09:20 - Aug 3 with 5582 viewspnc4eva1

As long as we continue to play attractive football I will be happy. Talking to fans of other clubs in the division it has become clear that there is little difference between leagues one and two when it comes to quality.

Like many I do feel we need an out and out goal scorer but appreciate that they do not grow on trees. Therefore I'll put my faith in Kieth Hill and see if he can pull another gem from nowhere.

20th or above will make me very happy

up the dale
Poll: Are these polls getting tedious

Show time! on 09:32 - Aug 3 with 5548 viewselectricblue

After reading peoples posts during the past.month etc and several players missing to boost the squad i say 19th.....
I know we are not a splash the cash club etc but sometimes you have to spend a little...
Commanding Centre half O'connor type......
And an attacking forward who is willing to take players on and also not affraid to shoot.......

My all time favourite Dale player Mr Lyndon Symmonds

Login to get fewer ads

Show time! on 10:07 - Aug 3 with 5462 viewsfitzochris

Show time! on 09:32 - Aug 3 by electricblue

After reading peoples posts during the past.month etc and several players missing to boost the squad i say 19th.....
I know we are not a splash the cash club etc but sometimes you have to spend a little...
Commanding Centre half O'connor type......
And an attacking forward who is willing to take players on and also not affraid to shoot.......

Who's O'Connor?

Blog: Rochdale 2018/19 part three: Getting points on the board

Show time! on 10:09 - Aug 3 with 5457 viewsfitzochris

D'Arcy we had.
[Post edited 3 Aug 2014 10:11]

Show time! on 10:12 - Aug 3 with 5446 viewsParkinsGimp

Show time! on 22:16 - Aug 2 by zxcvbnm

Lillis
Rafferty
Rose
Tanser
Lancashire
Fox (if signed)
Lund
Allen
Done
Henderson
Andrew

Subs
Diba, Eastham, Vincenti, Bunney (if fit), Bennett, Camps, Hery

That's might guess at the team on Saturday

Please not Tanser at Centre half!!!
We need a good experienced Centre half before next week, with all will in the world, we know Lancashire can be suspect.
Also a goal scorer. But think mid table finish , especially if through the season the young uns perform when asked.
Would be happy with 6th from bottom. We have money in the bank, good crop of youth who no doubt will learn from the coming season. Then kick on following season. Lets become an established League One team, then who knows :-)
Show time! on 10:13 - Aug 3 with 5442 viewsTVOS1907

Show time! on 10:07 - Aug 3 by fitzochris

Who's O'Connor?

Think he means O'Connell......

When I was your age, I used to enjoy the odd game of tennis. Or was it golf?

Show time! on 10:15 - Aug 3 with 5432 viewsfitzochris

Show time! on 10:13 - Aug 3 by TVOS1907

Ah, thought he was hankering after D'Arcy, which would've been odd to say the least. Unless Electricblue is the lad's dad, of course.

Show time! on 10:29 - Aug 3 with 5407 viewselectricblue

Show time! on 10:13 - Aug 3 by TVOS1907

Typo sorry..
Just talking about kirkconnell and got it mixed up......
Cant multitask chaps.....

Show time! on 11:01 - Aug 3 with 5344 viewsfitzochris

Show time! on 10:29 - Aug 3 by electricblue

Typo sorry..
Just talking about kirkconnell and got it mixed up......
Cant multitask chaps.....

Why were you talking about Kirkconnel?

Show time! on 11:11 - Aug 3 with 5312 viewselectricblue

Looking at holiday lets fitzo......
Travelling through kirkconnel to ayr next week.

Show time! on 11:12 - Aug 3 with 5308 viewsfitzochris

Show time! on 11:11 - Aug 3 by electricblue

Looking at holiday lets fitzo......
Travelling through kirkconnel to ayr next week.

From where?

Show time! on 11:18 - Aug 3 with 5287 viewselectricblue

Where.....!
If you mean where are we....
We are in leadhills nr wanlochead....
Untill monday then staying in wigtown until saturday......
Also looking at a few cottages to buy aswell in the wigtown area looking to move from this hell hole....
[Post edited 3 Aug 2014 11:22]

Show time! on 11:27 - Aug 3 with 5264 viewsYouTubeDale

In reply to electricblue...

"And an attacking forward who is willing to take players on and also not affraid to shoot......." that would describe Morgan's performance yesterday. He was hungry to take players on and certainly not afraid to shoot.

I think most Dale supporters would say a successful season would be keeping League 1 status at the end of it. And I agree that the aim should be establishing ourselves as a league 1 club and attracting fans by doing so, slowly but surely.

If Keith Hill can truly fall in love with the club and do a "Dario Gradi" then he would be the simple answer - the key to keeping us a League 1 club season after season. Perhaps doing a Yeovil and making it to the Championship for one season.
[Post edited 3 Aug 2014 11:29]

Jesus saves but Beasley scores off the rebound.
Poll: Do you want Keith Hill to leave immediately?

Show time! on 11:33 - Aug 3 with 5245 viewsMHall963

Getting back to the first 11 and subs for saturday. Having seen 4 or 5 of the pre season games, i would go for:

Lillis
Rafferty Eastham Lancashire Rose
Lund Hery
Bennett Henderson Vincenti
Andrew

Subs: Collis, Tanser, Allen, Logan, Done, Camps, Bunney.

A bit controversial playing the two big wingers, but i thought that it was one of the few positives from yesterdays first half performance and could work well against some more atracking teams in the league. Still reckon we need a defensive midfielder and a goalscorer maybe just on loan until camps and bunney get some more experience.
Show time! on 11:37 - Aug 3 with 5221 viewsfitzochris

Show time! on 11:18 - Aug 3 by electricblue

Where.....!
If you mean where are we....
We are in leadhills nr wanlochead....
Untill monday then staying in wigtown until saturday......
Also looking at a few cottages to buy aswell in the wigtown area looking to move from this hell hole....
[Post edited 3 Aug 2014 11:22]

What hell hole?

Show time! on 11:39 - Aug 3 with 5211 viewsTVOS1907

Show time! on 11:37 - Aug 3 by fitzochris

What hell hole?

Think you mean 'What hell hole......?'

Show time! on 11:51 - Aug 3 with 5178 viewsYouTubeDale

Show time! on 11:33 - Aug 3 by MHall963

Getting back to the first 11 and subs for saturday. Having seen 4 or 5 of the pre season games, i would go for:

Lillis
Rafferty Eastham Lancashire Rose
Lund Hery
Bennett Henderson Vincenti
Andrew

Subs: Collis, Tanser, Allen, Logan, Done, Camps, Bunney.

A bit controversial playing the two big wingers, but i thought that it was one of the few positives from yesterdays first half performance and could work well against some more atracking teams in the league. Still reckon we need a defensive midfielder and a goalscorer maybe just on loan until camps and bunney get some more experience.

I like that line up, especially with Bennett up top. It's good to have Rose on for the freekicks ofcourse but I still think he is our weak link at the back. I prefer Done at the back but he hasn't had the best of preseasons according to many. That sounds like Done is being written off already which isn't the case by any stretch of the imagination.

Show time! on 11:55 - Aug 3 with 5168 viewsTVOS1907

Show time! on 11:51 - Aug 3 by YouTubeDale

I like that line up, especially with Bennett up top. It's good to have Rose on for the freekicks ofcourse but I still think he is our weak link at the back. I prefer Done at the back but he hasn't had the best of preseasons according to many. That sounds like Done is being written off already which isn't the case by any stretch of the imagination.

It's an interesting line-up, but if we're saying Done hasn't had the best pre-season, the same could also be said of Lund.

I don't for one minute think Hill will leave Lund out next Saturday, but certainly Allen and Fox (if he signs) have done more than enough to stake a claim for a starting berth.

Show time! on 12:05 - Aug 3 with 5130 viewsYouTubeDale

Show time! on 11:55 - Aug 3 by TVOS1907

It's an interesting line-up, but if we're saying Done hasn't had the best pre-season, the same could also be said of Lund.

I don't for one minute think Hill will leave Lund out next Saturday, but certainly Allen and Fox (if he signs) have done more than enough to stake a claim for a starting berth.

Can't disagree with you about Allen and Fox, but Lund is the guy to break up play, that characteristic wrapping his leg around tackle. If he can stay more defensive then I would still go for Lund.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024