Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Any coaching advice? 13:59 - Sep 21 with 3538 viewsreal_loftus

So I'm taking over my son's U-7s footy team this weekend, and we've got our first game on Sunday.

Any one done this sort of thing before? Anyone got any sound advice?

Ta

ATAF.

Any coaching advice? on 17:20 - Sep 21 with 936 viewsKonk

Encourage them to bunch and charge round after the ball, toe-punting it as far as they can in whichever direction they happen to be facing. Get the keeper to close his eyes and turn side-on whenever anyone shoots and have at least one kid who wanders off at a key stage every game to stroke a passing dog or ask his Mum what they're having for tea.

Once that's sorted, teach them all to point and bellow Man-on! Go long! Go short! Back and face! Out! Out! Out! Anywhere! and all the other classics that they'll need. Once they've got that sussed, you'll have a proper team on your hands and you can start thinking about silverware. Good luck.
[Post edited 1 Jan 1970 1:00]

Fulham FC: It's the taking part that counts

Any coaching advice? on 17:23 - Sep 21 with 929 viewsMrSheen

I've only coached Rugby, but I'm in my 8th year having begun with my son as a 6 year-old. But good generic advice is:

Small balls, small pitches, small teams. Don't try and recreate the adult game, and give everyone a chance to get involved and so improve their skill and confidence. This increases with small pitches and teams.

Give them some game time in each session where they are playing without advice, either from you, other coaches or (most importantly) parents. Its incredibly difficult for everyone to restrain themselves, but its much less stressful and more enjoyable for the kids if they are not being bellowed at.
Any coaching advice? on 17:24 - Sep 21 with 928 viewsheadhoops

Good luck Real Loftus

best two bits of advice having run a team from under 6 to under 16.

1) kids play for fun especially at under 7 and
2) make the time to take your FA Coaching even if its just Level 1

other than that enjoy it and don't play too win at all costs.

Poll: Remy - can he play in the playoffs - who's opening post is the best?

Any coaching advice? on 19:03 - Sep 21 with 905 viewsTHEBUSH

Any coaching advice? on 17:24 - Sep 21 by headhoops

Good luck Real Loftus

best two bits of advice having run a team from under 6 to under 16.

1) kids play for fun especially at under 7 and
2) make the time to take your FA Coaching even if its just Level 1

other than that enjoy it and don't play too win at all costs.

Yep, take an FA coaching course, only way forward.
I ran my son's under 11 team and when I tried to tell the kids the offside rule, I tied myself in knots, it was embarassing.
Any coaching advice? on 19:16 - Sep 21 with 896 viewsted_hendrix

Stuart, football coach? lol etc.

My Father had a profound influence on me, he was a lunatic.

Any coaching advice? on 19:38 - Sep 21 with 890 viewsDylanP

Let them play and have fun.

Make sure that each kid has the same amount of time on the pitch.

Rotate them around the positions, so that every player gets a chance at every position.

Don't shout at them when they play crap, just encourage them. They are too young for negativity. You just want them to enjoy themselves.

These are 6 year olds. You can try and get them to play tactics but no matter what you say they are going to play kick and run. They want to run around, get sweaty, and chase/kick the ball. They are too young for any but the most basic of tactics. If you have to think about tactics, stick to one thing per week "keep your space" "Stay in postion" "Pass the ball". Honestly, it won't make much difference. At 6, they will end up playing kick and run anyhow. Don't worry too much, though. If they are having fun, that is what matters at that age.

Poll: Who is the Best QPR Chairman in the last 25 Years?

Any coaching advice? on 21:44 - Sep 21 with 874 viewswestolian

Stu

Forget this weekends game - worry about the training

Make sure each kid has his own ball and just concentrate on loads of touches, head up, equal amount of time on each foot and loads of turns - all in a small space

Technically, they will improve massively in 3 - 6 weeks

Phase 2 will be in 6 weeks !!

I've found a team sheet for the weekend - anyone interested ?

Any coaching advice? on 22:24 - Sep 21 with 855 viewsngbqpr

Any coaching advice? on 21:44 - Sep 21 by westolian

Stu

Make sure each kid has his own ball and just concentrate on loads of touches, head up, equal amount of time on each foot and loads of turns - all in a small space

real_loftus - got a load of age appropriate session plans etc I could email - sorry, only lurked on here for last couple of years, first post in aeons - is there a pm function? (scratches head in thick way emoticon)

Poll: Best hug a stranger / fall down five rows / 'limbs' late goals this season

Login to get fewer ads

Any coaching advice? on 22:32 - Sep 21 with 847 viewsPablo_Hoopsta

Any coaching advice? on 22:24 - Sep 21 by ngbqpr

real_loftus - got a load of age appropriate session plans etc I could email - sorry, only lurked on here for last couple of years, first post in aeons - is there a pm function? (scratches head in thick way emoticon)

Hello stranger!

To pm click on the persons name and you'll see a new screen, on RIGHT hand side should be an option to send a private message.

Real - a colleague coaches and is setting up an academy not far from you, I'll speak to him on monday and see if I can get you two talking.
Any coaching advice? on 22:36 - Sep 21 with 837 viewsCHUBBS

Any coaching advice? on 21:44 - Sep 21 by westolian

Stu

Don't listen to him tell em to get rid of it and get it in the box as soon as possible.
Any coaching advice? on 22:50 - Sep 21 with 823 viewsted_hendrix

Oh and be prepared to fight other Dads on the touchline and on the odd occasion Mums.

My Father had a profound influence on me, he was a lunatic.

Any coaching advice? on 22:56 - Sep 21 with 817 viewsHook

Any coaching advice? on 22:32 - Sep 21 by Pablo_Hoopsta

Hello stranger!

To pm click on the persons name and you'll see a new screen, on RIGHT hand side should be an option to send a private message.

Real - a colleague coaches and is setting up an academy not far from you, I'll speak to him on monday and see if I can get you two talking.

Sod all that codsa wallop Pabs just get some of that stuff you used to have for Dai sent over to Stu asp.
Stu video it please.
Any coaching advice? on 23:04 - Sep 21 with 814 viewsqprmick

Any coaching advice? on 22:50 - Sep 21 by ted_hendrix

Oh and be prepared to fight other Dads on the touchline and on the odd occasion Mums.

The kids are there for fun, never lose sight of that. Impress on their parents that they, or other children have to kick a ball every day with their kids. Do what I did and dribble a tennis ball often, I dribbled one to school and back passing the ball to any convenient wall. Kick a ball against a wall if you have one handy. See Maccas for vouchers for your MOM but rotate them of course. Have fun, results don't really matter but try telling the parents that. You won't see many parents anyway if it is cold and icy or wet and icy.

Qprmick

Any coaching advice? on 00:25 - Sep 22 with 797 viewswestolian

Any coaching advice? on 22:56 - Sep 21 by Hook

Sod all that codsa wallop Pabs just get some of that stuff you used to have for Dai sent over to Stu asp.
Stu video it please.

Employ Dai as your number 2

You'll never make it without a good no. 2

I've found a team sheet for the weekend - anyone interested ?

Any coaching advice? on 00:30 - Sep 22 with 792 viewsTacticalR

Any coaching advice? on 00:25 - Sep 22 by westolian

Employ Dai as your number 2

You'll never make it without a good no. 2

And you're going to need a Europe-wide scouting system.

Air hostess clique

Any coaching advice? on 04:47 - Sep 22 with 725 viewsjohnjo1

Just enjoy it and make them feel like they did,belive me took my boys team from 5 till nearly 12 enjoyed every minute of it.
Any coaching advice? on 09:34 - Sep 22 with 701 viewsPablo_Hoopsta

Any coaching advice? on 22:56 - Sep 21 by Hook

Stu video it please.

Mr Hook as well, long time Sir! Not sure nandrolone would be ideal for Real's yoots...
Any coaching advice? on 11:08 - Sep 22 with 676 viewsTacticalR

Don Revie-style dossiers on opposition U-7 teams and stifling any of their creative players.

Air hostess clique

Any coaching advice? on 18:49 - Sep 22 with 645 viewsBromleyHoop

First of all, do your best to get all the parents on board; that they will not shout negatively at their children, or swear at the ref or your good self when you're losing 7 - 1. This 'code of conduct' is absolutely non negotiable at many professional clubs ie if you cant behave yourself as a parent then your child is not welcome at our academy.

Remind the parents that this is fun. Children get incredibly inhibited by the sight of their parents screaming like lunatics on the touchline, they become terrified of making a mistake and being shouted at. As a result they can become scared of the ball. As soon as that happens then they are lost to football.

In my experience this is one of the major differences between youth football in this country and abroad. The kids are happy to do whatever on the pitch because their parents are supportive as opposed to critical.

Once you've got the parents under control then you can start work on the enjoyable bit.....the kids.

Good luck. I'd be really interested to know how you get on.

Poll: Who is your player of the season

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024