Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Anyone been on National Driver Awareness course - need advice if you have please. 13:29 - Sep 8 with 7591 viewsHAYESBOY

Got caught doing 37 in a 30 (Oxford Road in Uxb/Denham so watch out if you use this road as they were still there at 9pm one night a couple of days ago) the other week and have just had my offer to go on a course.

Normally no problem but i have had to take holidays this year for personal reasons and a couple of days unpaid on top when my hols ran out.
There are times offered from 5pm but would still mean leaving work early by at least an hour and a half.
Work havent been that understanding with my extra days off so are unlikely to be pleased in me asking for a couple of hours off one day for a driver aware course.

The document states i have to take the course by DEC 11.
Has anyone had experience of asking for date later than stated?

It would solve my problem if i could take the course in Jan or even between Xmas and New Year.

I havent phoned them up yet to ask but just wondered if anyone has had any experince of this.

Thanks for any help.

Smells like a trout farm in here

Anyone been on National Driver Awareness course - need advice if you have please. on 15:21 - Sep 10 with 1080 viewsTearsOfaClown

Anyone been on National Driver Awareness course - need advice if you have please. on 15:13 - Sep 10 by WatfordR

There's two issues here. One, where people drive recklessly and cause loss of life or injury to themselves and others, which I don't think anyone is actually condoning. And the other, where the police are setting up speed traps at times and in locations where there is virtually no risk to anyone by exceeding the speed limit by 5-10mph, in some cases maybe even by a little more.

There is little doubt from my experience (and I'm doing in excess of 30,000 miles per annum for my work), and that of other people I have spoken to who use the road to drive as part of their work, that in certain jurisdictions, there has been a drastic recent increase in random speed traps being set up. And at a time where the police are consistently complaining about having to make cuts in staffing due to the austerity measures, perhaps it isn't unreasonable to question whether there is a link between the two.

"there is virtually no risk to anyone by exceeding the speed limit by 5-10mph, in some cases maybe even by a little more."

Unless you hit someone?

It's 30 for a reason road safety advert

Anyone been on National Driver Awareness course - need advice if you have please. on 15:22 - Sep 10 with 1079 viewsMetallica_Hoop

There's some fkwit light in South Chessington where if the lights are yellow when you cross you get a fine so you speed up to avoid it and get a fine for going over 30.
Sneeky tossers, my mate pointed it out when she was giving me and another girl a lift to the station.

I was behind an accident two weeks ago, some idiot couldn't decide if he wanted to go left or right on North Pole round about in front of the cafe. I slowed my bike to wait to see where he was going so he didn't crush me on the corner, he went left then decided to go right, just as a moped went to overtkae him thinking he was going left.
Bike went flying luckily the speeds were well under 30 but had either been going quicker the moped guy would be dead or very badly injured. I could see the guy was ok so went for my 5KM run in the scubs. I realised I was the prime witness so stopped at the cafe on the way back that called the police, the guy went to hospital but was ok. In some areas I'm fully in favour of the 30 after seeing that.

I was going to tell the car driver it was his fault but figured he had enough on his plate. Nice 'talli

Beer and Beef has made us what we are - The Prince Regent

Anyone been on National Driver Awareness course - need advice if you have please. on 16:45 - Sep 10 with 1061 viewsWatfordR

Anyone been on National Driver Awareness course - need advice if you have please. on 15:21 - Sep 10 by TearsOfaClown

"there is virtually no risk to anyone by exceeding the speed limit by 5-10mph, in some cases maybe even by a little more."

Unless you hit someone?

It's 30 for a reason road safety advert

I'll assume you're just missing the point instead of being deliberately obtuse.

What is the point of issuing speeding fines and penalty points for exceeding speed limits by a few miles per hour on roads at times when they are absent of pedestrians and virtually any other traffic? Is it to enforce road safety or is it to generate revenue?

Anyone been on National Driver Awareness course - need advice if you have please. on 19:50 - Sep 10 with 1032 viewsTearsOfaClown

Anyone been on National Driver Awareness course - need advice if you have please. on 16:45 - Sep 10 by WatfordR

I'll assume you're just missing the point instead of being deliberately obtuse.

What is the point of issuing speeding fines and penalty points for exceeding speed limits by a few miles per hour on roads at times when they are absent of pedestrians and virtually any other traffic? Is it to enforce road safety or is it to generate revenue?

depends what you value - your money or other peoples safety.

Ok - so what are the times we should drive fast along a road given there is "virtually no other traffic"?

And explain to me why you are on the road - when there are virtually no other cars.

As I said before - if someone you value is hit by a car, I trust you will not ask what speed they were doing. After all - they are driving at a "virtually" safe speed.
Anyone been on National Driver Awareness course - need advice if you have please. on 21:13 - Sep 10 with 1021 viewsWatfordR

Anyone been on National Driver Awareness course - need advice if you have please. on 19:50 - Sep 10 by TearsOfaClown

depends what you value - your money or other peoples safety.

Ok - so what are the times we should drive fast along a road given there is "virtually no other traffic"?

And explain to me why you are on the road - when there are virtually no other cars.

As I said before - if someone you value is hit by a car, I trust you will not ask what speed they were doing. After all - they are driving at a "virtually" safe speed.

Can you not accept that some people are more experienced and better drivers than others? Why is it for example that police drivers can and will exceed speed limits as and when they deem fit to do so? Is it not reasonable to assume that people who drive for a living are more likely to have greater awareness of danger spots and potential hazards on a road than lets say a mum who uses a car for running kids to school and going down to Sainsburys?

As I said earlier, I drive in excess of 30,000 miles per year. If I don't drive, I don't earn. If I'm disqualified from driving, I don't earn. If I damage my van or the stock in it, I don't earn. I therefore don't take unnecessary risks when I'm driving.

Doing 36mph down a wide, straight, deserted road with a 30mph speed limit at 7am in the morning, with clear visibility of road and pavements, no housing, just a primary school on my right, no parked cars, no pedestrians, isn't taking any kind of unreasonable or unnecessary risk. Doing 36mph down the same stretch of road at about 8.30am when there will be more traffic, cars parked with parents dropping off kids therefore cutting down visibility of road and pavements and significantly increasing the chance of mum or child appearing in the road from behind a parked car with little warning, is significantly higher risk.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024