Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Tommy Smith 19:09 - Jul 13 with 3225 viewsbosh67

Must be one of the unluckiest players we've ever had. Been fairly shabbily treated and not going on the tour. Good player who's never let us down and scored some important goals. Feel sorry for him, he's one of the good guys and a useful squad player I thought.

Never knowingly right.
Poll: How long before new signings become quivering wrecks of the players they were?

Tommy Smith on 23:43 - Jul 13 with 735 viewsballbag

The romantic in me wants him to stay. He's gowgeous!
Tommy Smith on 00:19 - Jul 14 with 722 viewsichbinnaughty

Tommy Smith on 19:31 - Jul 13 by DylanP

I agree completely with your premise. He is a good player with a lot to offer but has tended to be overshadowed by very good and, more recently, great players that have come along that fulfil the same role as him in the team -- the free roaming offensive-minded midfielder. Just as he was establishing himself Adel came along and blew everyone away. Its not a negative reflection on him that he can't compete with Taarabt for a team place, there aren't many who can. So in that respect, you are spot on. Very unlucky.

Having said that, there is very little chance that he will get to play next year. Like SWP and Ephraim, there are simply too many people ahead of him in line now. I like the way he plays -- he can be a joy to watch. That goal against Wigan was just the latest example of what he can do. He needs a new team where he can demonstrate his talent and make the kind of impact he deserves.

'nice' player but needed to do chit like this far more often. Unfair, but h needed a run of doing this every game to force his way into a starting position.
Always liked Tommy. Quality player, sometimes (that's the problem.......but he never really had the chance)
Tommy Smith on 06:35 - Jul 15 with 676 viewsqprmick

Good luck Tommy, wherever you go. A bit too 'laid back' for me. Needed a bit of Mackie's urgency.

Qprmick

Tommy Smith on 07:27 - Jul 15 with 659 viewsYorkRanger

I like him, good player, scored some important goals and has the right sort of attitude. However, sadly, not good enough for the premiership...
Tommy Smith on 07:41 - Jul 15 with 652 viewsKiwi76

Tommy Smith on 07:27 - Jul 15 by YorkRanger

I like him, good player, scored some important goals and has the right sort of attitude. However, sadly, not good enough for the premiership...

Think that's it York - been valuable squad member and key goals at Watford & Everton but not going to get much of a look in now.
Sure he will add value to Top6 chasing Champ side.
Tommy Smith (n/t) on 15:32 - Jul 15 with 603 viewsgigiisourgod

Tommy Smith on 23:29 - Jul 13 by CamberleyR

Tommy Smith wasn't signed in the close season of 2010-11, he was signed right on the last knockings of the August transfer window.

If you remember, his registration wasn't quite secured by the deadline so we had to loan him from Portsmouth until we could finally sign him permanently in the January.

Thats right. So was he on loan from Pomp when he scored THAT equaliser against them?
[Post edited 1 Jan 1970 1:00]
Tommy Smith (n/t) on 17:44 - Jul 15 with 552 viewsthewhitemonkey

Tommy Smith (n/t) on 15:32 - Jul 15 by gigiisourgod

Thats right. So was he on loan from Pomp when he scored THAT equaliser against them?

Yep, technically he was on loan at the time, although the permanent transfer had already been agreed and was due to be finalised as soon as the Jan window opened. Real nerve to take that pen.

Another big contribution early on from him was the cross for Helguson's last-gasp winner at Palace, shortly after they had equalised. "That's what champions do!", I remember the commentator saying.

Tommy has that calm assuredness and an ability to take and create chances when the chips are down. Mainly at Championship level though, as mentioned plenty of times before on this thread.
Tommy Smith on 18:48 - Jul 15 with 515 viewsTGRRRSSS

Could see him going back to Watford maybe now they've got some cash.
Login to get fewer ads

Tommy Smith (n/t) on 11:19 - Jul 16 with 455 viewsderbyhoop

Good Championship player. But, he's never been good enough for the Premiership. As previous clubs have discovered. He's made a good living out of football and deserves the opportunity to continue that career for a few more years. But not with us.

"Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the Earth all one's lifetime." (Mark Twain) Find me on twitter @derbyhoop and now on Bluesky

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024