Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Assault, a ship and Shilts Interesting Stories of Saints V Leicester Games 08:51 - Oct 16 with 1287 viewsSaintNick

Some really good stories of our previous games against Leicester, with some historical references that are quite interesting, well worth a read

https://www.thefosseway.net/viewpoint/leicester-city-southampton-away-assault-qu

Satisfying The Bloodlust Of The Masses In Peacetime

Assault, a ship and Shilts Interesting Stories of Saints V Leicester Games on 09:44 - Oct 16 with 1228 viewssaintmark1976

Thanks Nick. Interesting read.

I was stood on the Milton Road when Shilton scored.

Amazing really, given that now whenever I post a comment that doesn’t comply with the herd mentality you can guarantee some doughnut will accuse me of being a Skate.

I was probably watching the Saints before some of them were even born.

Poll: Who is responsible for our poor start to the season?

Assault, a ship and Shilts Interesting Stories of Saints V Leicester Games on 10:37 - Oct 16 with 1179 viewsSaintNick

Assault, a ship and Shilts Interesting Stories of Saints V Leicester Games on 09:44 - Oct 16 by saintmark1976

Amazing really, given that now whenever I post a comment that doesn’t comply with the herd mentality you can guarantee some doughnut will accuse me of being a Skate.

The footage is in the story, perhaps if you can point yourself out in the crowd, it would saisfy some of them that you are indeed a Saints fan

Satisfying The Bloodlust Of The Masses In Peacetime

Assault, a ship and Shilts Interesting Stories of Saints V Leicester Games on 15:14 - Oct 16 with 1011 viewskingslandstand1

Assault, a ship and Shilts Interesting Stories of Saints V Leicester Games on 09:44 - Oct 16 by saintmark1976

Ah, so maybe you are the "local ten-year-old boy called Brian" who went on to be "the Sports Editor of the Observer, and - with this eye-opening first experience standing on the terraces at Southampton lingering in the memory - a Portsmouth fan"

But yes, an interesting read
Assault, a ship and Shilts Interesting Stories of Saints V Leicester Games on 17:26 - Oct 16 with 949 viewsLondonSaint76

Thanks Nick, an interesting read - those bikers should have followed that frightened 10 y/o to Fratton Park, they’d have probably found the scrap they were looking for.
I wonder what the 10y/o would have done if he’d encountered Westwood on his first visit to Fratton Park? Probably ended up supporting Brighton 😀
[Post edited 16 Oct 17:28]

Poll: How will we get on against Leicester City?

Some bullsh!t Stories of Saints V Leicester Games on 17:30 - Oct 16 with 942 viewsdirk_doone

"A group of Leicester fans who were wearing motorcycle helmets and giant leather gauntlets and stalking through all four stands at The Dell." Pure, unadulterated bullsh!t.

This batallion of Darth Vaders marching around inside the Dell could obviously march through walls too and so could the 10-year-old Brian Oliver who was supposedly watching them do it, or did they pay to enter at four different gates?

In Brian Oliver's original version of his 'childhood football memories', the leader of the Leicester helmets had knives protruding from every finger of his gauntlets. Obviously at the time he wrote it, Edward Scissorhands was a popular film. He is a total fantasist. It's funny how these myths get created and once they're in print, they become accepted as reality. Pompey fans do it all the time. Of course, the one who started this story was one of their top myth makers, Brian Oliver. He's also the one who wrote the mythical dock strike story in the Guardian.

I was at the Dell that day and I saw all of the 200 Leicester fans (and I'm being generous) who were there, in normal clothes getting very wet and getting pelted with bangers by Saints fans as we sank to a 5-1 defeat. It's the only time I can recall fireworks being thrown at away fans so it's a vivid memory and, even though their team beat us, I felt sorry for them.

[Post edited 17 Oct 12:04]

Poll: Who will win the Premier League this season?

Some bullsh!t stories of Saints V Leicester Games on 18:10 - Oct 16 with 866 viewsdirk_doone

This is the "local boy, Brian" in question:

The 6.57's leading media cheerleader, Brian Oliver, who has no connection with Southampton whatsoever and who's never lived here, (he's from Sussex) but a lot of the Portsmyths seem to have emanated from him.

This is another example of his bullsh!t: "Southampton are known as 'Scummers', a term going back to a Portsmouth dock strike in the Fifties, when blackleg labour was brought in from the Solent to breach the picket lines."

He's managed to pack nearly all of the Portsmyths into this article:

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2003/aug/03/newsstory.sport1
[Post edited 17 Oct 12:09]

Poll: Who will win the Premier League this season?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024