Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Saturday, Tuesday, Saturday, Tuesday... 14:14 - Oct 11 with 2739 viewsnick_hammersmith

I hate International breaks, I'm sure the Championship could be less fixture heavy if we had less nonsense internationals.

All I saw last night was 11 millionaires swinging a leg, trying not to get injured for their main source of income
Saturday, Tuesday, Saturday, Tuesday... on 14:28 - Oct 11 with 2696 viewsWatford_Ranger

It would never happen but I’d be all for carrying on the league through international breaks and any team who lose players for that game just get on with it just as teams with African players lose them for a period of time during the AFCON.
Saturday, Tuesday, Saturday, Tuesday... on 14:51 - Oct 11 with 2591 viewsHayesender

And we've got another international break coming up in about six weeks

Poll: Shamima Beghum

Saturday, Tuesday, Saturday, Tuesday... on 14:58 - Oct 11 with 2564 viewsNorthernr

I mean the calendar is a disaster isn't it, let's be honest. And it's only going to get worse as they expand the international tournaments, engorge the Champions league, add a new club world cup and so on.

The EFL actually had the right idea a few years ago in reducing the leagues to 20 teams, fewer midweeks, league two split into two north and south divisions. And it got thrown out immediately because of course.
Saturday, Tuesday, Saturday, Tuesday... on 14:59 - Oct 11 with 2560 viewsMonkey_Roots

Agreed, I dread not having a focal point for which all my weekend activities revolve around.

Thank goodness the NFL isn't an international sport.
Saturday, Tuesday, Saturday, Tuesday... on 15:03 - Oct 11 with 2549 viewsPdog

It feels like there is just sooo much football on these days, every event hyped to the max. Every possible viewing slot engineered for more eyeballs.

In a 'normal' week, we now have early Football League kick-offs to go with the Premier League, the standard 3pm games, a 5:30pm match, and now a Sat evening fixture.

'Super' Sunday fills up the afternoon, then there's MNF with the lads, CL Tues and Weds, and whatever they're calling the other Euro comps on Thursday. They've even thrown in a few early 5:30pm midweek kick-offs - madness.

Then, at the end of the season, the whole thing resets and we do it all over again. The hype train only gets longer & louder.
Saturday, Tuesday, Saturday, Tuesday... on 15:11 - Oct 11 with 2514 viewsnick_hammersmith

Saturday, Tuesday, Saturday, Tuesday... on 14:58 - Oct 11 by Northernr

I mean the calendar is a disaster isn't it, let's be honest. And it's only going to get worse as they expand the international tournaments, engorge the Champions league, add a new club world cup and so on.

The EFL actually had the right idea a few years ago in reducing the leagues to 20 teams, fewer midweeks, league two split into two north and south divisions. And it got thrown out immediately because of course.

I like that idea, but a 20 league team might see us relegated over the last couple of years...
Saturday, Tuesday, Saturday, Tuesday... on 18:38 - Oct 11 with 2291 viewsWokingR

I normally hate an international break but have to say, I’m quite enjoying this one
Saturday, Tuesday, Saturday, Tuesday... on 19:07 - Oct 11 with 2251 viewsHarbour

12:30 kick offs..Fridays Sundays Mondays…bloody Sky …we never seem to do well on three game weeks.. might seem radical but would anyone consider scrapping promotion to the premier League just keep the EFL gain more control over game scheduling .. I actually hate the Peem League ..rant over!
Login to get fewer ads

Saturday, Tuesday, Saturday, Tuesday... on 19:25 - Oct 11 with 2233 viewsWatford_Ranger

Saturday, Tuesday, Saturday, Tuesday... on 19:07 - Oct 11 by Harbour

12:30 kick offs..Fridays Sundays Mondays…bloody Sky …we never seem to do well on three game weeks.. might seem radical but would anyone consider scrapping promotion to the premier League just keep the EFL gain more control over game scheduling .. I actually hate the Peem League ..rant over!

The only thing that keeps us going through endless matches against Preston and Blackburn for a decade is the hope that one day we might get another break for a year or two before the next decade of it. Preferably a break which involves playing Chelsea and Spurs rather than Wigan and Bolton.
Saturday, Tuesday, Saturday, Tuesday... on 20:02 - Oct 11 with 2202 viewsdaveB

I'm quite enjoying the break from seeing us pass sideways in our own half, i wish it was longer
Saturday, Tuesday, Saturday, Tuesday... on 22:11 - Oct 11 with 2111 viewscolinallcars

It starts about this time of the evening….no preview from Clive, the wife saying “don't 'ave so much to drink this time”
Saturday, Tuesday, Saturday, Tuesday... on 04:24 - Oct 12 with 2022 viewsPlanetHonneywood

Its easier to identify pockets of time outside of work and sleeping hours when there isn't any football.

And yet, the more football there is, the less and less I seem to watch.

'Always In Motion' by John Honney available on amazon.co.uk
Poll: Who should do the Birmingham Frederick?

Saturday, Tuesday, Saturday, Tuesday... on 07:41 - Oct 12 with 1942 viewsDorse

Saturday, Tuesday, Saturday, Tuesday... on 14:58 - Oct 11 by Northernr

I remember those discussions - to hear the newspapers describing it, you'd think the League had suggested going back to giant baggy shorts, flat caps for goalkeepers and them 40lb balls with laces. It makes sense for fans, clubs - everyone really. Never understood why they didn't run the numbers on this.

Just imagine it, waking up in the new season, checking fixture list and not seeing Tues, 11th Jan, Preston (A) 7.45PM.

'What do we want? We don't know! When do we want it? Now!'

Saturday, Tuesday, Saturday, Tuesday... on 08:57 - Oct 12 with 1830 viewsgazza1

Bit of a problem but not the end of the world for me.......

I, just, hope that MC and his players have worked on their games, systems, fitness, etc, etc so that we are 'fit & ready' for the next game, next Saturday, against Portsmouth.
Saturday, Tuesday, Saturday, Tuesday... on 08:59 - Oct 12 with 1828 viewsLimehouseR

Saturday, Tuesday, Saturday, Tuesday... on 07:41 - Oct 12 by Dorse

I remember those discussions - to hear the newspapers describing it, you'd think the League had suggested going back to giant baggy shorts, flat caps for goalkeepers and them 40lb balls with laces. It makes sense for fans, clubs - everyone really. Never understood why they didn't run the numbers on this.

Just imagine it, waking up in the new season, checking fixture list and not seeing Tues, 11th Jan, Preston (A) 7.45PM.

You're in luck. This year it is Hull City away on TUE 21st JAN 7.45PM.
Saturday, Tuesday, Saturday, Tuesday... on 09:05 - Oct 12 with 1813 viewsPlanetHonneywood

Saturday, Tuesday, Saturday, Tuesday... on 08:57 - Oct 12 by gazza1

Bit of a problem but not the end of the world for me.......

I, just, hope that MC and his players have worked on their games, systems, fitness, etc, etc so that we are 'fit & ready' for the next game, next Saturday, against Portsmouth.

Ten games in with two IBs, please tell me that fitness isn't a problem for our galacticos?

'Always In Motion' by John Honney available on amazon.co.uk
Poll: Who should do the Birmingham Frederick?

Saturday, Tuesday, Saturday, Tuesday... on 09:58 - Oct 12 with 1734 viewsWatford_Ranger

Saturday, Tuesday, Saturday, Tuesday... on 08:59 - Oct 12 by LimehouseR

You're in luck. This year it is Hull City away on TUE 21st JAN 7.45PM.

I’m trying to organise a meeting in Yorkshire that day. Being one of 2000 seeing us lose meekly is nothing compared to being one of 500 on a Tuesday.
Saturday, Tuesday, Saturday, Tuesday... on 10:25 - Oct 12 with 1698 viewsBristolR

Saturday, Tuesday, Saturday, Tuesday... on 15:11 - Oct 11 by nick_hammersmith

I like that idea, but a 20 league team might see us relegated over the last couple of years...

Indeed
Saturday, Tuesday, Saturday, Tuesday... on 21:27 - Oct 12 with 1409 viewsstainrods_elbow

Champ players play no more than four more games than when it was a 22 team division up to 1987. And in fact, with the doing-away of replays in the FA and League Cup, far fewer Cup games are played (to the obvious detriment of smaller clubs). Champions League apart (which the top clubs could easily restore to the original knock-out format if there was concerted collective pressure), the only thing that really seems to have changed is one or two international breaks have got a bit expanded.

On which basis, the tired and tiring references by contemporary players and managers to the 'Saturday/Tuesday/Saturday' relentlessness of their programme are risible. I'd be interested to find out if this kind of boring cliche was trotted out in the 1970s and 1980s but certainly don't remember it. It's really a way of whining down expectations about the quality of the product still further as I see it - doing less while making more.

Poll: How many points will we manage from our first 5 games with this squad?

Saturday, Tuesday, Saturday, Tuesday... on 21:39 - Oct 12 with 1396 views222gers

Saturday, Tuesday, Saturday, Tuesday... on 21:27 - Oct 12 by stainrods_elbow

Champ players play no more than four more games than when it was a 22 team division up to 1987. And in fact, with the doing-away of replays in the FA and League Cup, far fewer Cup games are played (to the obvious detriment of smaller clubs). Champions League apart (which the top clubs could easily restore to the original knock-out format if there was concerted collective pressure), the only thing that really seems to have changed is one or two international breaks have got a bit expanded.

On which basis, the tired and tiring references by contemporary players and managers to the 'Saturday/Tuesday/Saturday' relentlessness of their programme are risible. I'd be interested to find out if this kind of boring cliche was trotted out in the 1970s and 1980s but certainly don't remember it. It's really a way of whining down expectations about the quality of the product still further as I see it - doing less while making more.

I'm inclined to agree - the only caveat being that, possibly, players in the modern game are expected to “track back” to cover their defences and defenders need to take more part in attacks.
Whether any of this is true, I know not.
Saturday, Tuesday, Saturday, Tuesday... on 22:58 - Oct 12 with 1328 viewsswitchingcode

Can it wait until we come back
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024