Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Did Saturday's game buy Russell Martin time? 12:06 - Oct 7 with 3857 viewsPatfromPoole

I fear it did.

Massive game against Leicester to come. I would have preferred for us to have a new manager in place, as we absolutely need a change of approach.

Already Steve Cooper has made comments about this game and how massive it is for them. A win for them would put them on 9 points, a pretty reasonable start to the season.

Will Martin adapt our game, as Arteta did on Saturday to address our weaknesses?

I suspect we all know the answer to that one.

However, Leicester's defence is slow and they are definitely beatable.

Last chance saloon, Buddha.

Poll: Would you take Ward-Prowse back?

Did Saturday's game buy Russell Martin time? on 12:28 - Oct 7 with 3176 viewsfranniesTache

I don't see a world where martin turns it around to be honest and my thinking is every game he's in charge is lost time.

As much as i hated the mad midget (both for over spending and his impact on personal friends) i'm sure he wouldn't have twiddled his thumbs on this one and Martin would've been booted already.

We need a bit more ruthlessness from the club, cut our losses and try and rescue the season
Did Saturday's game buy Russell Martin time? on 12:34 - Oct 7 with 3159 viewsBerber

SR know we have a squad good enough to get promotion next year, and a manager that will most likely do it for them. When you have a large portion of fans saying they prefer it in the Championship (I just cannot get my head around that), why would they change? The numbers will pan out better no doubt.

Poll: How many wins this season sweepstake

Did Saturday's game buy Russell Martin time? on 12:47 - Oct 7 with 3112 viewsPatfromPoole

Did Saturday's game buy Russell Martin time? on 12:34 - Oct 7 by Berber

SR know we have a squad good enough to get promotion next year, and a manager that will most likely do it for them. When you have a large portion of fans saying they prefer it in the Championship (I just cannot get my head around that), why would they change? The numbers will pan out better no doubt.

That would be a mad strategy, as no guarantee at all that we would get back up.

Birmingham will be on the up and will throw money at it. Wrexham possibly likewise if they also go up.

Plenty of others who could come good if they don't go up to the Prem this season.

Championship will be really competitive next season.

Did Saturday's game buy Russell Martin time? on 13:12 - Oct 7 with 3044 viewsStAnt

If Martin takes us down and is still here at the end of the season I would say the chances that he'll keep his job for next season are nil unless he manages to get us a reasonable points tally. The fans simply will not accept giving him another season if this one ends in disaster.
Did Saturday's game buy Russell Martin time? on 13:17 - Oct 7 with 3026 viewsSaintNick

Did Saturday's game buy Russell Martin time? on 12:28 - Oct 7 by franniesTache

I don't see a world where martin turns it around to be honest and my thinking is every game he's in charge is lost time.

As much as i hated the mad midget (both for over spending and his impact on personal friends) i'm sure he wouldn't have twiddled his thumbs on this one and Martin would've been booted already.

We need a bit more ruthlessness from the club, cut our losses and try and rescue the season

In fairness Cortese didn't boot Adkins out when we had taken just 4 points out of the first 10 games, when he finally got round to it we were in mid table and had jus got a draw at Chelsea

Satisfying The Bloodlust Of The Masses In Peacetime

Did Saturday's game buy Russell Martin time? on 13:35 - Oct 7 with 2977 viewsPatfromPoole

Did Saturday's game buy Russell Martin time? on 13:17 - Oct 7 by SaintNick

In fairness Cortese didn't boot Adkins out when we had taken just 4 points out of the first 10 games, when he finally got round to it we were in mid table and had jus got a draw at Chelsea

I suppose it depends on how you define “mid-table”.

We were 15th, 3 points clear of the bottom 3 teams.

Granted, we were in a much better position than we had been after the first 10 games.

Quite interesting to look back and see some of the quotes from when Adkins was sacked.

There was pretty unanimous uproar. Don’t think it would be like that now…..

Did Saturday's game buy Russell Martin time? on 13:37 - Oct 7 with 2964 viewsfranniesTache

Did Saturday's game buy Russell Martin time? on 13:17 - Oct 7 by SaintNick

True but he'd been actively sounding out new managers long before that, and the reality was Adkins was on borrowed time (even if many didn't know it)

I'd like to think SR are doing the same thing right now but i really struggle to believe they are.
Did Saturday's game buy Russell Martin time? on 14:47 - Oct 7 with 2826 viewsSaintNick

Did Saturday's game buy Russell Martin time? on 13:37 - Oct 7 by franniesTache

True but he'd been actively sounding out new managers long before that, and the reality was Adkins was on borrowed time (even if many didn't know it)

I'd like to think SR are doing the same thing right now but i really struggle to believe they are.

I think Sport Republic get judged harshly, when they came they made some good appointments in Joe Shields who was quickly poached and that meant we were floundering in the disastrous January window of 2023.

They then appointed Jason Wilcox as director of football and he was too gone by the time last season ended.

In this respect they could be said to have done too well in their recruitment given the clubs that they went to.

SR have pumped money into the club and not been afraid to spend, it's been the people doing the spending that were the problem, ie Semmens in the summer of 2022 & January 2023.

Rasmus Ankersen was switched on at Brentford and hopefully is playing some part now, the problem is who they will think will be a good fit, they might well think a good upcoming coach whereas the fans will want a name, Graham Potter is mentioned because he is seen to have been successful at Brighton, but in his 3 seasons he finished 15th on 41 points (Ralph was 11th with 52), then 16th with 41 points again (we were 15th on 43) in 2020/21.

In his 3rd season 2021/22 he took Brighton to 9th on 51 points (we were 15th on 40 points.

So at this stage Potter's record was not as good as Ralph's except for the season just gone, yet he went to Chelsea and ralph got the sack

Funny how a lot of Saints supporters seem to think he is the answer though

Login to get fewer ads

Did Saturday's game buy Russell Martin time? on 14:56 - Oct 7 with 2808 viewsPatfromPoole

Did Saturday's game buy Russell Martin time? on 14:47 - Oct 7 by SaintNick

I think Sport Republic get judged harshly, when they came they made some good appointments in Joe Shields who was quickly poached and that meant we were floundering in the disastrous January window of 2023.

They then appointed Jason Wilcox as director of football and he was too gone by the time last season ended.

In this respect they could be said to have done too well in their recruitment given the clubs that they went to.

SR have pumped money into the club and not been afraid to spend, it's been the people doing the spending that were the problem, ie Semmens in the summer of 2022 & January 2023.

Rasmus Ankersen was switched on at Brentford and hopefully is playing some part now, the problem is who they will think will be a good fit, they might well think a good upcoming coach whereas the fans will want a name, Graham Potter is mentioned because he is seen to have been successful at Brighton, but in his 3 seasons he finished 15th on 41 points (Ralph was 11th with 52), then 16th with 41 points again (we were 15th on 43) in 2020/21.

In his 3rd season 2021/22 he took Brighton to 9th on 51 points (we were 15th on 40 points.

So at this stage Potter's record was not as good as Ralph's except for the season just gone, yet he went to Chelsea and ralph got the sack

The signing of Lavia apart, Joe Shields was a disaster for us.

Surely it was his fault rather than Semmens that we signed so many turkeys in the summer of 2022.

Far from convinced he has been Chelsea's saviour either.

Surely the spending in January 2023 was down to Ankersen; he was the one who brought Nathan Jones in, not Semmens. Those signings were for a Nathan Jones type team; who we then promptly sacked......

I am far from an apologist for Semmens, but the only things I would blame him for (notable enough as they both were) were not sacking Hassenhutl in the summer of 2022 and for making Selles manager.
[Post edited 7 Oct 14:56]

Did Saturday's game buy Russell Martin time? on 15:20 - Oct 7 with 2766 viewsSaintNick

Did Saturday's game buy Russell Martin time? on 14:56 - Oct 7 by PatfromPoole

The signing of Lavia apart, Joe Shields was a disaster for us.

Surely it was his fault rather than Semmens that we signed so many turkeys in the summer of 2022.

Far from convinced he has been Chelsea's saviour either.

Surely the spending in January 2023 was down to Ankersen; he was the one who brought Nathan Jones in, not Semmens. Those signings were for a Nathan Jones type team; who we then promptly sacked......

I am far from an apologist for Semmens, but the only things I would blame him for (notable enough as they both were) were not sacking Hassenhutl in the summer of 2022 and for making Selles manager.
[Post edited 7 Oct 14:56]

Apart from Lavia what did Joe Shields ever do for us.

Armando Bella-Kotchap had a good start to the season and could have done better had he not been injured.

Joe Aribo pound for pound is a decent signing given his service to the club and of course Sekou Mara,

In truth most of the players that came in the window were youngsters, we failed to land the striker that we needed and that was the issue in the window, Larios & Edozie were not expected to have to play big parts.

Nathan Jones was said at the time to be Martin Semmens choice, the back me or sack me statement, Semmens was trusted but was seen as having been trusted and failed in his job.

God knows who was calling the shots in February, Jones was getting his players in and the type needed, but eventually I think Ankersen stepped in and took a more hands on role, hence Jones getting sacked, Semmens would never have done it.

As I said in another thread, in the summer of 2022, Hasenhuttl's record over the past 3 seasons was on a par with Graham Potter, the fans here demanded he be sacked and Potter went to Chelsea and hasn't worked since.

If we had kept faith with Ralph I do not think we would have had the disastrous transfer window we had in January 2023, whether he would have kept us up is open to debate, but He definitely would have made a better job of it than Jones or Selles, for 3 years he had kept us in mid table on a shoestring, this was the main thing I blame SR for, pressing the panic button and sacking Hasenhuttl.

If he had been sacked in the summer who would we have replaced his with ? That is something we will never know

Did Saturday's game buy Russell Martin time? on 15:35 - Oct 7 with 2729 viewsIfonly

"Rasmus Ankersen was switched on at Brentford and hopefully is playing some part now"

Unfortunately, if press reports are to believed, then he is playing his part by keeping RM in his job.

I very much doubt that he was switched on at Brentford. What happened at Brentford was driven by Matthew Benham who is a similar figure to Tony Bloom at Brighton. Both used data and analytics to make the key decisions, using learnings from their sports betting companies. Benham brought Phil Giles with him from his betting company to run the analytics and it is said that he drove all the key decisions. That would seem to be borne out by the fact that Ankersen was the one who left.

Since Ankersen left Brentford, they have gone on to become an established PL club while everything Ankersen touched has turned to sh1t. There is absolutely nothing in the way SFC is run that matches how things work at Brentford. Again this suggests that Brentford was someone else's work and Ankersen had to leave to get his ideas implemented. Unfortunately for us, they have been implemented at SFC.
Did Saturday's game buy Russell Martin time? on 15:38 - Oct 7 with 2717 viewsPaleRider

What logic is there for keeping RM versus what logic is there for getting rid asap? Just asking for a friend!
Did Saturday's game buy Russell Martin time? on 15:47 - Oct 7 with 2676 viewsButty101

You are looking at those stats with ralph tinted glasses. You fail to mention the shocking 2nd half of the season run we went on in that 3rd season and came close to relegation. You forget to mention to 9-0 defeats. Ralph would of left us in the relegation zone had they not sacked him before the liverpool game. Potter on the other hand left Brighton mid way though the season on the verge of the champions league places. Potter was clearly on the up while Rallph was heading in the over direction.

Sport Republic clearly havent been good for us as they saddled us with more debt, bought badly and will over see 2 relegations in their first 3 seasons.

Poll: Has the Ross Stewart deal already paid off as Nick says?

Did Saturday's game buy Russell Martin time? on 16:05 - Oct 7 with 2659 viewsStAnt

It would seem that some are still of the belief that Ankersen had a hand in the rise of Brentford. He was not the brains behind it and as someone else has stated everything he touches goes to rat shit - he is a reverse King Midas figure of the worst kind and we are suffering because he has no clue what he is doing.
[Post edited 7 Oct 16:06]
Did Saturday's game buy Russell Martin time? on 16:17 - Oct 7 with 2637 viewsmushinexile

Yes, alas.
Did Saturday's game buy Russell Martin time? on 16:23 - Oct 7 with 2630 viewsSaintNick

Did Saturday's game buy Russell Martin time? on 15:47 - Oct 7 by Butty101

You are looking at those stats with ralph tinted glasses. You fail to mention the shocking 2nd half of the season run we went on in that 3rd season and came close to relegation. You forget to mention to 9-0 defeats. Ralph would of left us in the relegation zone had they not sacked him before the liverpool game. Potter on the other hand left Brighton mid way though the season on the verge of the champions league places. Potter was clearly on the up while Rallph was heading in the over direction.

Sport Republic clearly havent been good for us as they saddled us with more debt, bought badly and will over see 2 relegations in their first 3 seasons.

I dont look at it with rose tinted glasses, i try to balance things out.

Yes it was a shocking end to the 2021/22 season, but up to March we were looking to get in the top 10 after 26 games we were 9th with 35 points, then we had a striker that couldnt score and it all went a bit pear shaped.

Potter didn't leave Brighton half was through the season, he left on 8th September 2022 with just 6 games having been played, they had a good start and had 13 points, we were in 12th with 7 points .

By game 12 Brighton were 9th on 15 points, we were 16th with 12 points, not bad seeing we had lost Lavia to injury 7 games earlier

We had new owners and an injury issue, not to mention not signing a striker, but we were making progress and with 3 games to go before the World cup break we could go into that reasonably placed. But defeat at Palace 1-0 was a blow and defeat to Newcastle was expected, but the panic button was pushed

But hey ho lets not let get facts get in the way of things,

Did Saturday's game buy Russell Martin time? on 16:45 - Oct 7 with 2574 viewsfranniesTache

Did Saturday's game buy Russell Martin time? on 16:23 - Oct 7 by SaintNick

Yes it was a shocking end to the 2021/22 season, but up to March we were looking to get in the top 10 after 26 games we were 9th with 35 points, then we had a striker that couldnt score and it all went a bit pear shaped.

Potter didn't leave Brighton half was through the season, he left on 8th September 2022 with just 6 games having been played, they had a good start and had 13 points, we were in 12th with 7 points .

By game 12 Brighton were 9th on 15 points, we were 16th with 12 points, not bad seeing we had lost Lavia to injury 7 games earlier

We had new owners and an injury issue, not to mention not signing a striker, but we were making progress and with 3 games to go before the World cup break we could go into that reasonably placed. But defeat at Palace 1-0 was a blow and defeat to Newcastle was expected, but the panic button was pushed

Personally i'd much rather have Moyes over Potter what we need right now is someone to stop us leaking goals and teach the players to stop being scared to get the ball into the box.

We are obviously the worst team in the league, but even then we should have a chance of staying up if we did the simple things well.

At the moment we're responsible for our own collapse, p*ssing around at the back which gives away goals, and over complicating attacks so we're too slow to counter.

I'm not saying we should be playing long ball into the box to a big man (though sometimes that wouldn't be the worst idea) but we do need to be quicker going forward and stop putting ourselves under pressure
Did Saturday's game buy Russell Martin time? on 16:51 - Oct 7 with 2545 viewsButty101

Did Saturday's game buy Russell Martin time? on 16:23 - Oct 7 by SaintNick

Ralphs last 26 games had yielded 17 points, he was taking us down. It would have been 17 from 27 had he not been sacked before the liverpool game.

I cant believe you are still trying blame the previous seasons collapse on Broja - its just ridiculous. How about looking no further than the 2 senior srtikers who managed 9 goals between them.

Losing Lavia for a period didnt cost us relegation. Having Baz in goal and lLosing experienced players like Romeu and Forster did.

As i said Potter left Brighton in a very good position, on the cusp of champions league.

Poll: Has the Ross Stewart deal already paid off as Nick says?

Did Saturday's game buy Russell Martin time? on 17:42 - Oct 7 with 2451 viewsSaintNick

Did Saturday's game buy Russell Martin time? on 16:51 - Oct 7 by Butty101

Ralphs last 26 games had yielded 17 points, he was taking us down. It would have been 17 from 27 had he not been sacked before the liverpool game.

I cant believe you are still trying blame the previous seasons collapse on Broja - its just ridiculous. How about looking no further than the 2 senior srtikers who managed 9 goals between them.

Losing Lavia for a period didnt cost us relegation. Having Baz in goal and lLosing experienced players like Romeu and Forster did.

As i said Potter left Brighton in a very good position, on the cusp of champions league.

So Brighton were on the cusp of the Champions League when Potter left after 6 games ? Im not quite sure about that

So you feel that none of our problems when we blew up in the last 11 games of that season were down to Broja our main striker failing to score in any of them (or the last 13 for that matter

Did Saturday's game buy Russell Martin time? on 18:28 - Oct 7 with 2392 viewscocklebreath

Nick you are very weird about certain players.

Poll: Who is the biggest c*nt?

Did Saturday's game buy Russell Martin time? on 21:10 - Oct 7 with 2153 viewskingslandstand1

I think people only say they prefer the Championship is because we were successful there and one of the "big boys"

We said we preferred the Prem back in the days of Koeman etc when we were top third and getting all the plaudits

Back in the dark distant days of league one we were enjoying going to "minnows" grounds which were a novelty as well as winning

Bottom line is. what would we rather do, be as Brighton are now getting the plaudits, or be as we are, being sh1t and everyone's favourite to go back down with an embarrasssment of a manager who at present is not listening to anybody who says that his system with the players we have will keep us up
Did Saturday's game buy Russell Martin time? on 21:17 - Oct 7 with 2149 viewsgrumpy

Did Saturday's game buy Russell Martin time? on 21:10 - Oct 7 by kingslandstand1

I think people only say they prefer the Championship is because we were successful there and one of the "big boys"

We said we preferred the Prem back in the days of Koeman etc when we were top third and getting all the plaudits

Back in the dark distant days of league one we were enjoying going to "minnows" grounds which were a novelty as well as winning

Bottom line is. what would we rather do, be as Brighton are now getting the plaudits, or be as we are, being sh1t and everyone's favourite to go back down with an embarrasssment of a manager who at present is not listening to anybody who says that his system with the players we have will keep us up

I wonder about Brighton's finances..........
Did Saturday's game buy Russell Martin time? on 22:06 - Oct 7 with 2055 viewskingslandstand1

Did Saturday's game buy Russell Martin time? on 21:17 - Oct 7 by grumpy

I wonder about Brighton's finances..........

Aren't they in profit with transfers as are B'muff? Not sure but they've been pretty shrewd in the tansfer market! They certainly did well with Danny Welbeck on a free which was quite well known - certainly a gamble that paid off
Did Saturday's game buy Russell Martin time? on 23:05 - Oct 7 with 2006 viewsfelly1

Did Saturday's game buy Russell Martin time? on 18:28 - Oct 7 by cocklebreath

Nick you are very weird about certain players.

Nick's in one of his " moods".
Did Saturday's game buy Russell Martin time? on 05:41 - Oct 8 with 1911 viewssaintwizzler

Any manager coming in to this club will still have the same players to work with.
Apart from Ramsdale, Downes and KWP they are all Championship level.
Dibling has been non existent in the last two games so I haven’t included him.

Let’s not forget we nearly didn’t have Ramsdale. Only a cheap option from Feyenoord failing his medical brought the Arsenal keeper in.

Until we start buying PL quality all over the pitch we are going to struggle and struggle big time.
After a favourable run of fixtures to start the season we have 1 point from a possible 21.
On course to smash Derby’s PL record.

Of course it’s not been helped by playing kamikaze defensive tactics.
It worked last season when we conceded a lot of goals as we had the firepower in that league to out score the opponent.

Going into this league with Armstrong and new recruits Archer and BBD ain’t gunna cut it.
THEY AINT GOOD ENOUGH!

Now there’s call for a lumbering giant to be thrown in after he came on v Arsenal and threw himself about a bit.

Can you really see Moyes or Potter wanting to come here?
They don’t need the money and they ain’t going to want to be in The Championship next season.

It will be another Championship manager, the likes of Eustace or Corberan who take over.

One of these two would at least stop trying to play like Man City with inferior players and make an improvement.
But could they keep us up.
No, not with the tools at our disposal.

And yes there is the January transfer window, but look at the utter crap that was panic bought in that the last time out at over inflated prices.

On to the Leicester game.
You know deep down that Vardy, love him or hate him, still has the quality to run our defence ragged.

We thought that we had the answers, It was the questions we had wrong.
Poll: Front two for WHU game?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024