Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Loftus Road renovation/revamp 13:14 - Sep 20 with 111519 viewsQPRConor2000

Given the news we heard this week from Ruben that LR is now more likely to be redeveloped over a new stadium, I wanted to open up a specific thread for it.

Any ideas on how we can improve LR.

NOTE: Serious ideas only.
Loftus Road renovation/revamp on 23:05 - Sep 26 with 3748 viewswombat

Loftus Road renovation/revamp on 22:35 - Sep 26 by RangersDave

New ground works for stadium have started!

They have designed the lowered stadium to be grass level, 20ft down from existing datum.
This will, apparently allow for the school to be purchased when available, and a larger end stand either end to be built.

Apparently contracts have been exchanged, and work parties have started preliminary land removal......

Depends on is the ground still has restrictive covenants in place as to how many times we can use it per season

Poll: which is your favouite foot

Loftus Road renovation/revamp on 10:32 - Sep 27 with 3248 viewsTrom

What about rotating the pitch 90 degrees and potentially building a tunnel for the South Africa Rd under the stadium? You could then have the bigger stands at the current school and loft ends with smaller height stands at Ellerslie and South Africa road ends.
Loftus Road renovation/revamp on 10:44 - Sep 27 with 3202 viewsJuzzie

Loftus Road renovation/revamp on 10:32 - Sep 27 by Trom

What about rotating the pitch 90 degrees and potentially building a tunnel for the South Africa Rd under the stadium? You could then have the bigger stands at the current school and loft ends with smaller height stands at Ellerslie and South Africa road ends.

If you take the stadium as it is and rotate it 90o it will already protrude well into the White City estate. The site is currently wider than it is taller so a non starter.
Loftus Road renovation/revamp on 14:54 - Sep 27 with 2860 viewsEsox_Lucius

A bit of lateral thinking is what is required for this thorny problem. Find out who the designers of the TARDIS were and employ them to work their magic on the Matrade Loftus Road Stadium. It's been staring us in the face this whole time.

The grass is always greener.

Loftus Road renovation/revamp on 15:21 - Sep 27 with 2711 viewskensalriser

Loftus Road renovation/revamp on 14:54 - Sep 27 by Esox_Lucius

A bit of lateral thinking is what is required for this thorny problem. Find out who the designers of the TARDIS were and employ them to work their magic on the Matrade Loftus Road Stadium. It's been staring us in the face this whole time.

That's actually a more sensible solution than a lot of the recurring suggestions.

Poll: QPR to finish 7th or Brentford to drop out of the top 6?

Loftus Road renovation/revamp on 16:09 - Sep 27 with 2607 viewsMaggsinho

Loftus Road renovation/revamp on 10:44 - Sep 27 by Juzzie

If you take the stadium as it is and rotate it 90o it will already protrude well into the White City estate. The site is currently wider than it is taller so a non starter.

Dig down under the White City estate?
Loftus Road renovation/revamp on 20:34 - Oct 16 with 1653 viewsHastings_Hoops

Loftus Road renovation/revamp on 21:46 - Sep 21 by nadera78

It's worth clarifying that those are two different proposals.

The one by Michael Drain dates back to Briatore's ownership and really just matches that man's ideas - small stadium charging fans a fortune and then whacking a load of exec boxes on top to do likewise. But there's no way on earth you'd ever get planning permission for 3 tiers of boxes above the SBS, it would double the height of the stand and completely overshadow the houses. It's delusional, just like Briatore.

The Calford Seaden proposal, on the face of it, is much more interesting. They took the basic work Michael Drain had done (ie site measurements, existing structures, etc, etc) and then looked at how they could reconfigure everything. What makes these guys more interesting to me is two things: 1) they've worked with Wimbledon, Brentford and Watford, and 2) when you look at this more recent link they say "Loftus Road, duration 2019 onwards".
https://calfordseaden.com/wp-content/uploads/Extended-Case-study-Stadiums-Experi

However, given everything we've seen from the owners over the past decade I think other posters have got it spot on when they say the club are looking at removing some office space and opening a new lounge or something.

In fact, calfordseaden say that they have collaborated with Michael Drain in 2019, developing Michael Drains previous designs - I assume those on his website with the previous badge, so probably the calfordseaden feasibility study is not as shown on the Michael Drain website. They also say they have considered rights of light matters and seem to have expertise to do so.
Interesting.
Loftus Road renovation/revamp on 11:36 - Oct 17 with 1079 viewsconnell10

Loftus Road renovation/revamp on 20:34 - Oct 16 by Hastings_Hoops

In fact, calfordseaden say that they have collaborated with Michael Drain in 2019, developing Michael Drains previous designs - I assume those on his website with the previous badge, so probably the calfordseaden feasibility study is not as shown on the Michael Drain website. They also say they have considered rights of light matters and seem to have expertise to do so.
Interesting.

Dig up

AND WHEN I DREAM , I DREAM ABOUT YOU AND WHEN I SCREAM I SCREAM ABOUT YOU!!!!!
Poll: best number 10 ever?

Login to get fewer ads

Loftus Road renovation/revamp on 12:15 - Oct 17 with 946 viewsDavieQPR

Why not rebuild what we already got, without expansions, over a few seasons and just make it nicer and more modern.
Loftus Road renovation/revamp on 13:12 - Oct 17 with 775 viewsJuzzie

Loftus Road renovation/revamp on 12:15 - Oct 17 by DavieQPR

Why not rebuild what we already got, without expansions, over a few seasons and just make it nicer and more modern.

It's not just about the the stands and seating. Have you been on a stadium tour? I went a dozen years ago and things like the players changing rooms, the officials changing rooms, the managers room, the media rooms, the corporate hospitality etc were all woefully under par.
The place where the manager gets interviewed after a game (with the sponsors board behind them) is in a corridor!

There is virtually no opportunity to improve all of these, there just isn't the room. You could do a couple but then the others wouldn't get touched so what gets sacrificed?

The ground is on such a tiny footprint I don't think all of those could even get spread around the stands, SAR pretty much accommodates all of that.

I guess theoretically you could demolish and rebuild one stand at a time but then you'd probably be looking at a final capacity of around 15k and there are half a dozen or more League Two grounds bigger than that.

[Post edited 17 Oct 13:28]
Loftus Road renovation/revamp on 13:12 - Oct 17 with 774 viewsCamberleyR

Loftus Road renovation/revamp on 12:15 - Oct 17 by DavieQPR

Because on it's current footprint with modern building regs you wouldn't be able to rebuild like for like with what's there. If the LR site was currently an empty plot and planning permission was granted for a stadium it would probably only be for about 12k.

Poll: Which is the worst QPR team?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024