Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Ainsworth's homecoming barely moves the needle - Report 18:29 - Feb 26 with 8990 viewsNorthernr

https://www.fansnetwork.co.uk/football/queensparkrangers/news/59703
Ainsworth's homecoming barely moves the needle - Report on 11:53 - Feb 27 with 2175 viewsTomS

I flew over from Dublin for my first "live" match since Covid. Like everyone, I was enthused beforehand with the potential of a new manager bounce, as it seemed that the players just needed to believe in themselves to return to the form that saw them reach the summit of the league a few months ago. How wrong I was.

As to my observations.

I left the ground with the sense that there is no structure or plan in place. There was no relentless pressing without the ball, which was a key part of our success in the early season. What we witnessed was a 34 year old Chris Martin running around on his own in the opposition half like a puppy chasing after the players in possession. No wonder he was taken off in the second half. Everyone else just retreated to the halfway line and waited for Blackburn to attack.You either press or you don't, there is no in-between. If Martin was brought in to score goals, then don't allow him to empty the tank prematurely, forcing his early withdrawal. Keep him on the pitch and limit his requirement to chase futile causes.

Then there is the centre of defence. Gaps appeared in front of our goal which were so large that a migrating herd of wildebeest could comfortably pass through them. Someone needs to play in that role who will take control of that area and direct players around them.

We scored with one of our two shots on target, as we committed players forward, and a rebound fell to a midfielder who had pushed into the box to support an attack. Maybe we could do that more often?

Overall, it was hugely frustrating to watch, but I'm certain that the new coaching team would have picked up on everything and will have a lot to work on in the coming days and weeks.
Ainsworth's homecoming barely moves the needle - Report on 12:06 - Feb 27 with 2126 viewsted_hendrix

I think our players are just plain and simple thick.

My Father had a profound influence on me, he was a lunatic.

Ainsworth's homecoming barely moves the needle - Report on 13:01 - Feb 27 with 1992 viewsPinnerPaul

Ainsworth's homecoming barely moves the needle - Report on 20:46 - Feb 26 by Andybrat

Injuries, injuries, injuries and now the one injury we didn’t want. Said on another thread if everyone was fit yesterdays team and no doubt performance would have been different. I was right behind the 1st goal, completely lucky with a deflection that put a cross on a plate. Lady Luck has to shine on us at least once before the end of season. Any chance we might see Dykes and Martin up front before the season is out?

It was a shot, not a cross from my seat - not that it matters much!
Ainsworth's homecoming barely moves the needle - Report on 13:03 - Feb 27 with 1988 viewsPinnerPaul

Ainsworth's homecoming barely moves the needle - Report on 21:18 - Feb 26 by BrianMcCarthy

Class writing, lovely analogy to bookend and theme the piece.

I'm still optimistic. I thought we worked harder yesterday, but not smarter yet.

As horseracing trainers say, I'm hopeful rather than confident and certainly not optimistic anymore.

As Clive says pure maths may save us , the gap was 9 points for ages and is now still stuck at 8.
Ainsworth's homecoming barely moves the needle - Report on 14:02 - Feb 27 with 1825 viewstoboboly

Ainsworth's homecoming barely moves the needle - Report on 11:53 - Feb 27 by TomS

I flew over from Dublin for my first "live" match since Covid. Like everyone, I was enthused beforehand with the potential of a new manager bounce, as it seemed that the players just needed to believe in themselves to return to the form that saw them reach the summit of the league a few months ago. How wrong I was.

As to my observations.

I left the ground with the sense that there is no structure or plan in place. There was no relentless pressing without the ball, which was a key part of our success in the early season. What we witnessed was a 34 year old Chris Martin running around on his own in the opposition half like a puppy chasing after the players in possession. No wonder he was taken off in the second half. Everyone else just retreated to the halfway line and waited for Blackburn to attack.You either press or you don't, there is no in-between. If Martin was brought in to score goals, then don't allow him to empty the tank prematurely, forcing his early withdrawal. Keep him on the pitch and limit his requirement to chase futile causes.

Then there is the centre of defence. Gaps appeared in front of our goal which were so large that a migrating herd of wildebeest could comfortably pass through them. Someone needs to play in that role who will take control of that area and direct players around them.

We scored with one of our two shots on target, as we committed players forward, and a rebound fell to a midfielder who had pushed into the box to support an attack. Maybe we could do that more often?

Overall, it was hugely frustrating to watch, but I'm certain that the new coaching team would have picked up on everything and will have a lot to work on in the coming days and weeks.

I particularly enjoyed being 2 goals behind and watching us not press Blackburn in any way shape or form. It was a novel tactic that definitely seemed to confuse the opposition, unfortunately it didn't get us the ball.

Sexy Asian dwarves wanted.

Ainsworth's homecoming barely moves the needle - Report on 14:24 - Feb 27 with 1783 viewsTheChef

Would have been nice to get to half time all square but clearly conceding a second goal right at the break was too much for this mentally fragile set of players.

Now that Chair is out for the foreseeable I would be tempted to move to three at the back (Dunne/Dickie/Kakay) to try and make us more solid but then the issue is who plays right wing back?

We're really not in a good way and all we can do right now is hope at the end there are still three teams worse than us!

Equally looking to the summer I'm really not sure what kind of overhaul we can expect with this squad. I don't look forward to next season with much hope.

Poll: How old is everyone on here?

Ainsworth's homecoming barely moves the needle - Report on 14:39 - Feb 27 with 1763 viewsrobith

Bizarrest moment of the day for me was a guy getting aggrieved no one was joining in with his "We love you Rangers" chant as Chair was getting treatment and looked bad. Read the room mate
Ainsworth's homecoming barely moves the needle - Report on 15:27 - Feb 27 with 1643 viewsBenny_the_Ball

Ainsworth's homecoming barely moves the needle - Report on 19:37 - Feb 26 by OldPedro

Thanks Clive. I think the games against Rotherham, Wigan, Blackpool and Birmingham will be key. Lose those and we are deep in the mire as we will have given points to those other teams.

I keep thinking that at some point we've surely got to fluke a win we don't deserve..........

Anyway, my tickets for Rotherham have arrived - I must be mad.

Yes, March through 1 April is the defining month this season. 1 win and a few draws in these matches should be enough to drag QPR over the line.
Login to get fewer ads

Ainsworth's homecoming barely moves the needle - Report on 15:29 - Feb 27 with 1639 viewsBenny_the_Ball

Ainsworth's homecoming barely moves the needle - Report on 21:18 - Feb 26 by BrianMcCarthy

Class writing, lovely analogy to bookend and theme the piece.

I'm still optimistic. I thought we worked harder yesterday, but not smarter yet.

Ditto. If Gareth can maintain the work levels and add a few street smarts then I'm quietly optimistic QPR can glide its way to safety.
Ainsworth's homecoming barely moves the needle - Report on 17:28 - Feb 27 with 1421 viewsQPROslo

Ainsworth's homecoming barely moves the needle - Report on 15:29 - Feb 27 by Benny_the_Ball

Ditto. If Gareth can maintain the work levels and add a few street smarts then I'm quietly optimistic QPR can glide its way to safety.

I think Gareth's main task and he'll need strong assistance, is to reinstill belief into the players both individually and in each other. Defensively we seem to panic, players hurriedly hoof the ball away from in and around our penalty area when they have time and space to control the ball and pick a pass. Defenders converging in panic to cover one already covered opposition attacker, getting in each others way and leaving oceans of space behind. They look like they are working hard to me, but without belief in themselves or each other. A very hard task for Gareth with so many of our better players out. Hope he has a few of those street smarts you mention that he can pass on and which hopefully will also add a little confidence.
Ainsworth's homecoming barely moves the needle - Report on 18:11 - Feb 27 with 1346 viewsTacticalR

Ainsworth's homecoming barely moves the needle - Report on 20:06 - Feb 26 by Wegerles_Stairs

The Birmingham one is key because they're just as crap as we are. Like the baldest men on the planet grappling over the tiniest comb in existence.

I am not sure if that is an appropriate analogy as Birmingham have big hair, which is yet another thing we can't handle.

Air hostess clique

Ainsworth's homecoming barely moves the needle - Report on 18:35 - Feb 27 with 1297 viewsdistortR

I thought Blackburn were rather rude, coming to our place and winning. We never do that to them.
Ainsworth's homecoming barely moves the needle - Report on 19:50 - Feb 27 with 1179 viewsDamo1962

Ainsworth's homecoming barely moves the needle - Report on 09:10 - Feb 27 by stevec

When Kakay is your best player you know you’re in trouble.

Big trouble.
Ainsworth's homecoming barely moves the needle - Report on 19:55 - Feb 27 with 1174 viewsDamo1962

Ainsworth's homecoming barely moves the needle - Report on 09:30 - Feb 27 by robith

Was my first game since October. That team is sunk imo. All the players or either bereft of confidence, or f**ks to give

Or just over-rated shite. I used to get pelters for saying a lot of our players aren't good enough for this league...now others are seeing it too.If we manage more than two points this between now and May...I will be amazed.
Ainsworth's homecoming barely moves the needle - Report on 22:43 - Feb 27 with 986 viewsLblock

Ainsworth's homecoming barely moves the needle - Report on 19:55 - Feb 27 by Damo1962

Or just over-rated shite. I used to get pelters for saying a lot of our players aren't good enough for this league...now others are seeing it too.If we manage more than two points this between now and May...I will be amazed.

Was always with you on that.

Kind of agree on points tally ….. I mean we can’t even downright underserved luck out our way to a draw these days.

The conveyor belt has finally wound its way to front and centre. When will people accept that you have the ClownMafia putting shit in for best part of a decade is going to equal shit out at the other end at some stage?!

Such a broken club….. a half arsed new training ground is the only positive. Even that we’ve not used to our full advantage and it’ll just be a nicer big top whilst the clowns run the circus.
Still we’re great at community stuff and diversity so…. Yeah…. Great…. Well done

Cherish and enjoy life.... this ain't no dress rehearsal

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024