Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
The Pound 13:57 - Sep 24 with 95798 viewsStanmiguel

Well, the money markets didn't like the mini budget.
I met Liz Truss in a hotel in Monmouth a few years ago.
She said her solution to pensioner poverty would be to feed them on Pedigree Chum.
Not only would this save a lot of money, it would give them shiny coats and a nice cold nose.
The Pound on 15:44 - Sep 28 with 2418 viewskensalriser

The Pound on 15:09 - Sep 28 by plasmahoop

Gordon brown played his part by borrowing unnecessarily in the good times. Then when the 2008 crisis hit he had no headroom. When they left office, the deficit for 2010 was 178 billion. After some progress from Cameron and osborne, Johnson and now even more spectacularly kwarteng and truss have done even more damage.
I would say Gordon brown is more like our mark Hughes. His impact is still felt

The deficit was that size because of the action taken to prevent systemic collapse of the banking system and that would have happened regardless of the party of government, as we saw with the pandemic intervention. That said austerity was completely pointless unless you think performative cruelty is good policy.

Poll: QPR to finish 7th or Brentford to drop out of the top 6?

The Pound on 15:47 - Sep 28 with 2406 views222gers

The Pound on 15:32 - Sep 28 by Phildo

Thank God that the Bank of England is independent. Who brought this about ? Oh, yes - the much maligned Gordon Brown.
People were critical of the Blair/Brown years. Well, they look like giants now compared to the half-witted crooked morons “running” the country now.
The Pound on 16:11 - Sep 28 with 2325 viewsSakura

The Pound on 15:44 - Sep 28 by kensalriser

The deficit was that size because of the action taken to prevent systemic collapse of the banking system and that would have happened regardless of the party of government, as we saw with the pandemic intervention. That said austerity was completely pointless unless you think performative cruelty is good policy.

Can you explain what you mean by it was because of the bank bailouts?

They cost ÂŁ30bn. There were promises to cover more cash if system collapsed but it never happened so after share sales it cost ÂŁ30bn

About 1.25% of our current deficit (not sure what Jimmy R is talking about in his posts - those figures are our deficit - it’s a fact it’s £2.4 trillion last check)

Furlough was ÂŁ70bn so more than double the banking crisis costs

And energy bills this winter expected ÂŁ130bn so 4 and a bit times the banking costs

You might need to revisit your assumptions Kensal

Combined the bank bailouts, energy bailouts and furlough amount to around 9.5% of our debt. It’s Truss’ fault, it’s Boris, it’s May, it’s Cameron, it’s Clegg it’s Brown and it’s Blair. It’s the country as a whole to get that much debt and to have a country that ungrateful and unsatisfied as we have
[Post edited 28 Sep 2022 16:19]
The Pound on 16:21 - Sep 28 with 2274 viewsJimmyR

Gordon brown played his part by borrowing unnecessarily in the good times. Then when the 2008 crisis hit he had no headroom. When they left office, the deficit for 2010 was 178 billion. After some progress from Cameron and osborne, Johnson and now even more spectacularly kwarteng and truss have done even more damage.

Where are you getting these figures from?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_Kingdom_national_debt

In 2007 national debt was 35% of GDP well under half of what it is now? I wouldn't usually go to wikipedia for data, but i don't have all day to trawl through through the OBR's/IFS's archives

Genuinely, i'm perplexed at where this this perception that ' Gordon brown played his part by borrowing unnecessarily in the good times.'

Please show me the evidence? I'd love you to change my mind.

Or just explain why it is you think that a chalenclor from 15 years ago when govt debt was less that half what it is now is in anyway responsible for the current government announcing they are going to borrow loads of money, and potentially causing an economic catastrophe is responsible for the current mini crisis

Really, genuinely - I'd love to understand why you think something which simply isn't supported by the data? Have you just been looking at the nominal amount in pounds as opposed to the real figures adjusted for inflation?

As ÂŁ1 in 2007 is ÂŁ1.54 today
https://www.officialdata.org/uk/inflation/2007?amount=1
The Pound on 16:26 - Sep 28 with 2229 viewsJimmyR

The Pound on 16:11 - Sep 28 by Sakura

They cost ÂŁ30bn. There were promises to cover more cash if system collapsed but it never happened so after share sales it cost ÂŁ30bn

About 1.25% of our current deficit (not sure what Jimmy R is talking about in his posts - those figures are our deficit - it’s a fact it’s £2.4 trillion last check)

And energy bills this winter expected ÂŁ130bn so 4 and a bit times the banking costs

Combined the bank bailouts, energy bailouts and furlough amount to around 9.5% of our debt. It’s Truss’ fault, it’s Boris, it’s May, it’s Cameron, it’s Clegg it’s Brown and it’s Blair. It’s the country as a whole to get that much debt and to have a country that ungrateful and unsatisfied as we have

About 1.25% of our current deficit - what are you talking about debt or deficit?

You have a budget deficit or a Balance of Payments deficit

Debt is Debt. If you have a ÂŁ10 debt, you don't have a ÂŁ10 deficit

Deficit or surplus has to have a starting point usually 0, 100 or the year/month/week before
[Post edited 28 Sep 2022 16:29]
The Pound on 16:32 - Sep 28 with 2192 viewsMick_S

The Pound on 15:17 - Sep 28 by BrianMcCarthy

I did Economics A Level. Loved it, but it was like a morgue in there.

Would love it to be compulsory.

So did I Brian, along with A level art. I got the drawing one but they gave me a “U” for the money one. How can I help you all with this debate?
[Post edited 28 Sep 2022 16:34]

Did I ever mention that I was in Minder?

The Pound on 16:36 - Sep 28 with 2171 viewsSakura

The Pound on 16:26 - Sep 28 by JimmyR

About 1.25% of our current deficit - what are you talking about debt or deficit?

You have a budget deficit or a Balance of Payments deficit

Debt is Debt. If you have a ÂŁ10 debt, you don't have a ÂŁ10 deficit

Deficit or surplus has to have a starting point usually 0, 100 or the year/month/week before
[Post edited 28 Sep 2022 16:29]

I should have said debt. I think you knew that though. So it is correct bank bailouts cost is 1.25 % of our debt

Talking of deficits though the UK has a 6% current account deficit, 7% fiscal deficit, inflation double digits and interest rates at 2%

So are you arguing that Labour would have had severe austerity so we wouldn't have those deficits?

Or how much bigger can you say our growth would have been compared to equivalent size economies than it was

Otherwise how wouldn’t we be in this same mess now? Do you have a credible answer there?

Unless you can say with Labour we would have had severe austerity, high interest rates or growth significantly in excess of other developed economies then we need to look long term for how we ended up in this mess

Again would direct you to the Ray Dalio video so you Can understand the nature of credit cycles and why things compound and suddenly seem much worse
The Pound on 16:41 - Sep 28 with 2158 viewsJimmyR

Do you ever bother to check anything or do you just invent random figures and present them as fact? Just because you think something doesn't make it true

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-60898614 - Govt spent 45 bn on natwest alone in 2008

This puts it at ÂŁ955bn
The scale of the support currently provided to UK banks has fallen from a peak of ÂŁ955bn to ÂŁ512bn, but the amount of cash currently borrowed by the government to support banks has risen by ÂŁ7bn [to a total of ÂŁ124bn] since December 2009. https://www.theguardian.com/politics/reality-check-with-polly-curtis/2011/sep/12

https://www.bankofengland.co.uk/monetary-policy/quantitative-easing this is what i'm taking about 1 trillion on QE, Bloody Gordon Brown! This is why there's a pension 'crisis' and where all money from tax has been going
Login to get fewer ads

The Pound on 16:50 - Sep 28 with 2124 viewsSakura

The Pound on 16:41 - Sep 28 by JimmyR

Do you ever bother to check anything or do you just invent random figures and present them as fact? Just because you think something doesn't make it true

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-60898614 - Govt spent 45 bn on natwest alone in 2008

This puts it at ÂŁ955bn
The scale of the support currently provided to UK banks has fallen from a peak of ÂŁ955bn to ÂŁ512bn, but the amount of cash currently borrowed by the government to support banks has risen by ÂŁ7bn [to a total of ÂŁ124bn] since December 2009. https://www.theguardian.com/politics/reality-check-with-polly-curtis/2011/sep/12

https://www.bankofengland.co.uk/monetary-policy/quantitative-easing this is what i'm taking about 1 trillion on QE, Bloody Gordon Brown! This is why there's a pension 'crisis' and where all money from tax has been going

Quick correction. Easy mistake for you to make but your sources put out of date, don’t take into account funds recouped and those which were promises to cover but never needed to carry out;

https://fullfact.org/economy/1-trillion-not-spent-bailing-out-banks/

Incorrect, the total government spend was £137 billion. Most of this has been paid back and around £27 billion is still outstanding. Around £1 trillion worth of financial guarantees were provided to investors–but these were promises designed to restore confidence in the banks, not cash for spending.

https://www.reuters.com/article/uk-britain-eu-budget-banks-idUKKBN13I1FJ

Perhaps don’t be so snarky when you are provably wrong
The Pound on 16:56 - Sep 28 with 2095 viewsJimmyR

The Pound on 16:50 - Sep 28 by Sakura

Quick correction. Easy mistake for you to make but your sources put out of date, don’t take into account funds recouped and those which were promises to cover but never needed to carry out;

Incorrect, the total government spend was £137 billion. Most of this has been paid back and around £27 billion is still outstanding. Around £1 trillion worth of financial guarantees were provided to investors–but these were promises designed to restore confidence in the banks, not cash for spending.

so then why the f"ck did you just say 30bn then?

I'm out. this is like talking to a child - However much it was, its was a lot more than 30bn
The Pound on 16:58 - Sep 28 with 2090 viewsJimmyR

The Pound on 16:36 - Sep 28 by Sakura

I should have said debt. I think you knew that though. So it is correct bank bailouts cost is 1.25 % of our debt

Talking of deficits though the UK has a 6% current account deficit, 7% fiscal deficit, inflation double digits and interest rates at 2%

So are you arguing that Labour would have had severe austerity so we wouldn't have those deficits?

Or how much bigger can you say our growth would have been compared to equivalent size economies than it was

Otherwise how wouldn’t we be in this same mess now? Do you have a credible answer there?

Unless you can say with Labour we would have had severe austerity, high interest rates or growth significantly in excess of other developed economies then we need to look long term for how we ended up in this mess

Again would direct you to the Ray Dalio video so you Can understand the nature of credit cycles and why things compound and suddenly seem much worse

didn't say a word of this you did

Sorry to be the one to break it you but there's going to be: rainy days, dark nights and full moons. Sometimes all at once
The Pound on 17:12 - Sep 28 with 2057 viewsJimmyR

The Pound on 16:56 - Sep 28 by JimmyR

so then why the f"ck did you just say 30bn then?

I'm out. this is like talking to a child - However much it was, its was a lot more than 30bn

Full Fact’s website reports that they were paid £1.1 million by Facebook and £206,500 by Google in 2019, plus a monthly payment of £7,300 worth of free advertising by the search giant. The funding by big-tech in 2019 makes up roughly 70% of their declared funding for the year. The editorial team say donations or payments for their services, which include automated fact-checking for Google, in no way compromise their editorial impartiality.

The Pound on 17:13 - Sep 28 with 2040 viewsJimmyR

The Pound on 16:50 - Sep 28 by Sakura

Thanks so much for letting me know - If it was on/funded by facebook then it must be true!
The Pound on 17:19 - Sep 28 with 2009 viewsJuzzie

As always, it's get to a point where it just goes around in circles. Neither side yielding (and understandably so). Everyone has had their say so maybe lets call it a day?
The Pound on 17:33 - Sep 28 with 1955 viewsLblock

The Pound on 16:32 - Sep 28 by Mick_S

So did I Brian, along with A level art. I got the drawing one but they gave me a “U” for the money one. How can I help you all with this debate?
[Post edited 28 Sep 2022 16:34]

Draw your own conclusion?

Cherish and enjoy life.... this ain't no dress rehearsal

The Pound on 17:48 - Sep 28 with 1889 viewsR_from_afar

Although Brown had to rescue the banks, that contributed to the deficit...

Please, per Northern's request, let's keep this about the economy and also keep it civil. This is a general comment, not aimed at you, Plasma.

Also, and I have said it before, how come no one ever posts while waving a LibDem flag? Just an observation.

"Things had started becoming increasingly desperate at Loftus Road but QPR have been handed a massive lifeline and the place has absolutely erupted. it's carnage. It's bedlam. It's 1-1."

The Pound on 17:50 - Sep 28 with 1876 viewsMick_S

The Pound on 17:33 - Sep 28 by Lblock

Draw your own conclusion?

Best I could do this in ten minutes:

https://images.app.goo.gl/tZqPH7eS7bt5wqaD6

Did I ever mention that I was in Minder?

The Pound on 17:55 - Sep 28 with 1851 viewsSakura

The Pound on 17:13 - Sep 28 by JimmyR

Thanks so much for letting me know - If it was on/funded by facebook then it must be true!

I also provided a link from Reuters:

Why didn’t you comment on them? Any issues with Reuters?

Wikipedia quotes the same figure as well if it helps.

I apologies for rounding up it’s clearly upset you. I shouldnt have underreported for the figure I should have highlighted even more how wrong you were and used the full figure

If you don’t like the three sources provided more up to date then please let us know your sources. Imagine you at least can acknowledge your misunderstanding of promises to cover costs to restore confidence and actual money spent
The Pound on 18:03 - Sep 28 with 1832 viewsR_from_afar

The Pound on 17:19 - Sep 28 by Juzzie

As always, it's get to a point where it just goes around in circles. Neither side yielding (and understandably so). Everyone has had their say so maybe lets call it a day?

A bit like this?

Brian is finding it educational and so have I, to be honest.

Things have got a little tetchy at times though.

Play nicely, people!

"Things had started becoming increasingly desperate at Loftus Road but QPR have been handed a massive lifeline and the place has absolutely erupted. it's carnage. It's bedlam. It's 1-1."

The Pound on 18:04 - Sep 28 with 1830 viewsPlanetHonneywood

For those late to the thread, here's a quick summary thus far:

In the global race to the bottom, the UK have raced into an impressive lead and with a 'they shall not pass' attitude, experts are predicting: it'll all be over by Christmas.

Unlike England's world Cup chances, which will be over by St. Nicholas' Day.

Oh, and it's all your fault!

'Always In Motion' by John Honney available on amazon.co.uk
Poll: Who should do the Birmingham Frederick?

The Pound on 18:19 - Sep 28 with 1789 viewsJimmyR

The Pound on 17:55 - Sep 28 by Sakura

I also provided a link from Reuters:

Why didn’t you comment on them? Any issues with Reuters?

Wikipedia quotes the same figure as well if it helps.

I apologies for rounding up it’s clearly upset you. I shouldnt have underreported for the figure I should have highlighted even more how wrong you were and used the full figure

If you don’t like the three sources provided more up to date then please let us know your sources. Imagine you at least can acknowledge your misunderstanding of promises to cover costs to restore confidence and actual money spent

LONDON (Reuters) - The British government said on Wednesday it faces an almost 27 billion pound loss from rescuing failed banks during the 2007-2009 financial crisis
The Office for Budget Responsibility, Britain’s independent budget watchdog, said it has increased its forecast for potential taxpayer losses by more than 9 billion pounds since March.
Britain’s government spent more than 136.6 billion pounds rescuing some of Britain’s biggest high street lenders, including Royal Bank of Scotland, Lloyds Banking Group and Northern Rock, at the height of the financial crisis.

I knew you didn’t understand the difference between debt and deficit- a loss much closer to a deficit

This article states this was the cost of bailing out high street lenders. So it doesn’t not include the cost of the QE/asset buying program that has been going on/discussed today

Quite how a disastrous budget designed to promote growth has actually done the exact opposite and is the fault of the chancellor from 15 years ago is a still mystery to me at least
The Pound on 18:31 - Sep 28 with 1742 viewsRanger_Things

Cold War Steve nailed it again:

But for balance, this is the front page of Tory propagandists The Spectator:

The Pound on 18:41 - Sep 28 with 1724 viewsSakura

The Pound on 18:19 - Sep 28 by JimmyR

LONDON (Reuters) - The British government said on Wednesday it faces an almost 27 billion pound loss from rescuing failed banks during the 2007-2009 financial crisis
The Office for Budget Responsibility, Britain’s independent budget watchdog, said it has increased its forecast for potential taxpayer losses by more than 9 billion pounds since March.
Britain’s government spent more than 136.6 billion pounds rescuing some of Britain’s biggest high street lenders, including Royal Bank of Scotland, Lloyds Banking Group and Northern Rock, at the height of the financial crisis.

I knew you didn’t understand the difference between debt and deficit- a loss much closer to a deficit

This article states this was the cost of bailing out high street lenders. So it doesn’t not include the cost of the QE/asset buying program that has been going on/discussed today

Quite how a disastrous budget designed to promote growth has actually done the exact opposite and is the fault of the chancellor from 15 years ago is a still mystery to me at least

Yes fella that was our banking crisis.

Bank bailouts cost was obviously around the crisis which really went off in 2008. You know we were talking about that period which is why you quoted articles from 2008 and 2009

The cost for that was ÂŁ27bn. A fraction of our furlough and energy bailouts. The other 90% of our debt elsewhere but planet Hollywood has the answer why the government shouldn't have cut spending but money markets would still be okay with continuing to fund our defict and debt

Today was the Bank of England announcing purchases of long dated government bonds. It's literally nothing to do with QE from today which was actually as has been pointed out by other posters was to protect our pension scheme

Feels you are a long way off the mark here.

The energy bailouts are ÂŁ130bn expected. The 45p to 40p top rate of tax cut is ÂŁ2bn expected

So if the energy bailout is 65 times more expensive than the tax cut for top rate I find it bizarre you focus there

Also it is an issue in the context of our ÂŁ2.4 trillion of debt they are worried about and that has been a long running thing. It is the climax of our debt cycle so the chain of that is considered

Again unless any poster has endorsed severe austerity in prior years to prevent such an enormous amount of debt or someway we would have rapidly out grown all other developed nations then it isnt credible for the British public not to share the blame
The Pound on 19:28 - Sep 28 with 1634 viewsSuperhoops2808

The Pound on 15:07 - Sep 28 by SheffieldHoop

How do you people get through your day while being so dishonest, even to yourselves?

Labour MP says something clearly racist = Misjudged and unfortunate

Conservative MP says something that gets deliberately misinterpreted by people highly attuned to racism = Dog whistling

Perhaps you can give some examples to properly describe what you mean, because from where I'm sitting it just seems like you're deflecting and making excuses. I thought the good Libs of LFW didn't like racists?
[Post edited 28 Sep 2022 15:12]

Or perhaps you could give Clive some respect when he asks that it stays on topic instead of continually stirring the pot as you often do
The Pound on 19:52 - Sep 28 with 1569 viewsSonofpugwash

I know,let's just print some more money.
Hey Presto!(or hey Peston)
That did the trick.

Poll: Dykes - love him or hate him?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024