Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Lyndon Dykes 07:10 - Aug 29 with 30833 viewsdmm

It's been mentioned a few times but I do hope Dykes game changing cameo and goal yesterday finally silences his remaining critics.

Yes, he came on late and played against a tiring opposition, but his goal - 3rd of the season - showed great skill and owed nothing to Coventry's tired defence.

He may not be the complete goal scoring striker, but what he has got is plenty good enough for us.
Lyndon Dykes on 09:44 - Aug 30 with 4757 viewsfrancisbowles

Lyndon Dykes on 09:29 - Aug 30 by Myke

I think when Dykes joined us first he was very raw, which was perfectly understandable. New club, new country, new city, far away from family, lockdown; very easy to find mitigating circumstances.Scoring 4 penalties early on (have we even won four more in the intervening year?) helped camouflage his early uncertainty. Then (apart from scoring against Brentford, which should have earned him more credit and would have done if there had been a crowd there) he had a long drought, coinciding with the team playing poorly and unable to score generally. But again, 'he works hard' was his saving grace. I wasn't watching him regularly, but it was either against Millwall or Stoke that I feared he would not make it. His confidence was clearly shot, he was missing presentable chances or worse still not even in position for them, his reactions seemed poor and even his workrate appeared to have dropped.
However, there is no question he has turned it around and he is now a very useful striker at this level and has the potential to be a very good one. Confidence is HUGE for strikers and I am delighted that a couple of shots he took this season -v Hull and Boro - went in, to give him a boost, especially at a time he was feeling unwell. As for being not the quickest, that may be true in terms of actual pace, but he has quick feet and a quick brain, as he demonstrated on Saturday, v Man Utd in pre-season and against Rotherham last season, not to mention his (not always converted) assists. I like him a lot.

Just to add the one thing IMHO that is overlooked is that last season he started the league in Scotland and then, after joining us for our last pre season game, got called up by Scotland and played almost every game for them as well as us up to January. Playing three games a week, virtually every week, on top of all the other factors mentioned, took it's toll on a man who was only used to about half that number of games.
Lyndon Dykes on 10:16 - Aug 30 with 4712 viewsterryb

Lyndon Dykes on 08:40 - Aug 30 by gazza1

Harsh first para Boston.

Dykes played very well when he came on as sub yesterday, took his goal very well, won quite a few headers, put himself around (he normally does), hit a decent shot from the right and overall was good....if he could do that more often then I would not complain so much.

I should add that I think Dykes is a good lad and a good team player who works hard for the team.
[Post edited 30 Aug 2021 8:45]

Blood hell Gazza. You are very hard to please at times!

Think back to all the forwards we signed after our promotion in 2004 until we reached 2010 ( I am placing Helguson as signed that year). There is only Blackstock that comes close to Dykes & personally I think he is a better player than Kevin Gallen was in the time period I've stated.

He is also far superior to anyone we've purchased since Charlie went to Southampton (& perhaps since he returned). I would take him every time instead of Wells or Hugill.

His hold up play & movement off the ball are visually improving month by month. He also looks to have the trust of the players he is playing alongside. IF he was to leave us, it would be on an upward projectorary.
Lyndon Dykes on 10:45 - Aug 30 with 4656 viewsjoe90

I think Dykes has a very good attitude which serves him well. He doesn't hide in games and has shown he has ability. I can only see him improving. I'm sure the coaching team are working with him to make little improvements to his game that will help him develop. I just hope he can find the same form he had for Surfers Paradise Appolo where he scored 17 goals in 15!
Lyndon Dykes on 09:40 - Sep 1 with 4377 viewseastside_r

I see Scotland play tonight in Denmark. Do we think he will start / be involved?
Lyndon Dykes on 09:58 - Sep 1 with 4317 viewsAshdown_Ranger

I think Dykes will definitely be involved - Scotland only have 16 outfield players fit!

What's more, he'll probably come back to us knackered as he has done before - Scotland play 3 games in 6 days starting this evening!

But at least we have Gray as backup now.
Lyndon Dykes on 10:06 - Sep 1 with 4303 viewsBlue_Castello

Lyndon Dykes on 09:58 - Sep 1 by Ashdown_Ranger

I think Dykes will definitely be involved - Scotland only have 16 outfield players fit!

What's more, he'll probably come back to us knackered as he has done before - Scotland play 3 games in 6 days starting this evening!

Exactly and that's why we needed Gray, or somebody like him if we want to mount a serious play off challenge.Kelman lacks the experience needed and we can't get through the season hoping every game that Dykes and Austin don't get injured, never mind the fatigue that will be inevitable for Dykes having to play all the Scotland games.
Lyndon Dykes on 10:37 - Sep 1 with 4250 viewsCiderwithRsie

Lyndon Dykes on 09:58 - Sep 1 by Ashdown_Ranger

I'm expecting Austin to start v Reading and probably Bournemouth but with Gray coming on relatively early. Could go the other way round but I'd go that way.
Lyndon Dykes on 19:12 - Sep 1 with 4029 viewsAshdown_Ranger

Dykes on the bench for Scotland tonight.

Got to be grateful for any rest he can get over their 3 qualifying games!
Login to get fewer ads

Lyndon Dykes on 19:55 - Sep 1 with 3985 viewseastside_r

Lyndon Dykes on 19:12 - Sep 1 by Ashdown_Ranger

Dykes on the bench for Scotland tonight.

Got to be grateful for any rest he can get over their 3 qualifying games!

Jockeroo off the bench for a repeat of Saturday?
Lyndon Dykes on 20:50 - Sep 1 with 3849 viewsaston_hoop

On at HT

Poll: Moses Odubajo - Stick or Twist?

Lyndon Dykes on 20:00 - Sep 4 with 3278 viewseastside_r

Scores.
Lyndon Dykes on 20:02 - Sep 4 with 3254 viewsnix

Lyndon Dykes on 20:00 - Sep 4 by eastside_r

Scores.

Did well to follow in.

Watching him his movement in the box has really improved.
Lyndon Dykes on 20:42 - Sep 4 with 3083 viewsdmm

It's only 175th FIFA ranked Moldova but he's played fine tonight, scoring and improving the Scottish team in comparison to the first half v Denmark.
Lyndon Dykes on 20:44 - Sep 4 with 3076 viewsjohncharles

In the right place at the right time goal. He’s not all about hard work, he’s getting to read the game much better now. Reminds me of a certain Charlie Austin 😄😄😄😄

Strong and stable my arse.

Lyndon Dykes on 04:45 - Sep 5 with 2616 viewsHAYESBOY

Should of taken his shirt of to celebrate...........

Would of missed trip to Austria then.

Smells like a trout farm in here

Lyndon Dykes on 06:34 - Sep 5 with 2553 viewsswisscottage

I've been a fan of Dykes since he joined us, and was so desperate for him to turn it around last season.

He's improved so much in just one season, and if he keeps on improving at the same rate you will be able to add him to a list of players we have that will be worth 8 figures in another year..

One of the biggest problems he had in his bad spell last year, was that he wasn't even putting himself in goal scoring positions. Since Charlie arrived, that has changed, he's finding the ability to get space in the area away from his marker, his finishing has hit another level, and now if he can just improve his first touch he'd become one of the first players on the team sheet for me.
Lyndon Dykes on 07:00 - Sep 5 with 2515 viewsnix

Lyndon Dykes on 06:34 - Sep 5 by swisscottage

I've been a fan of Dykes since he joined us, and was so desperate for him to turn it around last season.

He's improved so much in just one season, and if he keeps on improving at the same rate you will be able to add him to a list of players we have that will be worth 8 figures in another year..

One of the biggest problems he had in his bad spell last year, was that he wasn't even putting himself in goal scoring positions. Since Charlie arrived, that has changed, he's finding the ability to get space in the area away from his marker, his finishing has hit another level, and now if he can just improve his first touch he'd become one of the first players on the team sheet for me.

I agree.

I do wonder whether the other Scottish players rate him though. They rarely pass to him even when he's in a much better place to score. And yet weirdly other players, like Christie, and Hanley missed far easier chances, while Robertson and someone else who I can't remember both shot at difficult angles when it would have been much better to pass.

Either they don't rate him or they're not team players when they're playing for Scotland. Time and again they take a shot when it's the wrong decision.
Lyndon Dykes on 10:51 - Sep 5 with 2222 viewsLythamR

Lyndon Dykes on 07:00 - Sep 5 by nix

I agree.

I do wonder whether the other Scottish players rate him though. They rarely pass to him even when he's in a much better place to score. And yet weirdly other players, like Christie, and Hanley missed far easier chances, while Robertson and someone else who I can't remember both shot at difficult angles when it would have been much better to pass.

Either they don't rate him or they're not team players when they're playing for Scotland. Time and again they take a shot when it's the wrong decision.

yes he probably walked off thinking he could have had a hatrick, still he did his job well, looked pretty tired just before he came of, now has a trip to Austria for a crunch game. Cant see him starting for us on saturday.
Lyndon Dykes on 19:16 - Sep 7 with 1822 viewsCiderwithRsie

Starting tonight, as he did v Moldova, so looks like two and half matches in eight days.
Lyndon Dykes on 19:43 - Sep 7 with 1751 viewsWatfordR

Lyndon Dykes on 10:51 - Sep 5 by LythamR

yes he probably walked off thinking he could have had a hatrick, still he did his job well, looked pretty tired just before he came of, now has a trip to Austria for a crunch game. Cant see him starting for us on saturday.

Thankfully, Gray gives us the luxury of not flogging Lyndon to death. I'd give him Saturday off, provided both Charlie and Gray are fit.
Lyndon Dykes on 19:51 - Sep 7 with 1726 viewsflynnbo

The commentators and pundits are continually praising Robertson, Mc Ginn, Gilmour etc but seem to have it in for Dykes.
Meaning the last game as well as today. Typically, they just praised his header!
[Post edited 7 Sep 2021 19:56]
Lyndon Dykes on 19:58 - Sep 7 with 1711 viewsGloryHunter

Lyndon Dykes on 19:51 - Sep 7 by flynnbo

The commentators and pundits are continually praising Robertson, Mc Ginn, Gilmour etc but seem to have it in for Dykes.
Meaning the last game as well as today. Typically, they just praised his header!
[Post edited 7 Sep 2021 19:56]

Commentary on BBC Radio Scotland, which I am amazed to see (hear) that I can pick up in England on FreeSat!
Lyndon Dykes on 20:07 - Sep 7 with 1667 viewsdigswellhoop

does he playing for scotland hinder his club game
Lyndon Dykes on 20:16 - Sep 7 with 1642 viewsGloryHunter

Dykes penalty - scores!
Lyndon Dykes on 20:18 - Sep 7 with 1627 viewsstrikerace

Adams mugged, Dykes hits the penalty. Not a great strike but good enough. Big goal for Scotland
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024