Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Should I steer my son towards Fulham or let him find his own club? 09:00 - Jul 7 with 9535 viewsKonk

People keep asking me if my son is a Fulham fan — he’s coming up to his second birthday, and so far, I haven’t bought him anything Fulham or football related. The official line is that (a) he might not be into football and (b) it’s up to him who he supports. However, one of my brothers and his kids keep bringing stuff round for him from the Spurs club shop after home games, and he’s now accumulated half the kids collection, and I have the uncomfortable situation of kicking a Tottenham ball round with my son when we’re in various London parks. I would stick it all in the charity shop, but the crafty bas tard knows that I can’t do that as his kids have usually chipped in their own pocket money to ensure their cousin ends up down the Lane.

We’re leaving London and moving to Bristol next Summer, so that creates another dilemma.

Fulham: I’d love for him to support Fulham and for us to share that, but realistically, I might only get to 8-10 games a season tops, and until he was 16+, he’d always need me to be going to a game, in order for him to get to the game. And midweek games wouldn’t be doable.

Local team: We’re probably going to be moving within a mile or two of Ashton Gate, so a big part of me thinks he might be better off supporting his local club. He’ll feel more a part of it, we’d get to more games, he’ll have mates who support the same club, midweekers will be doable and he won’t have to rely on me going to games with him once he’s in his teens. I’m not from West London or a Fulham family, so whilst I love Fulham FC, I think I've missed out as I have no real affinity or affection for the area other than the Cottage, a couple of pubs and the walk down along the river from Hammersmith.

Another: He’s got a list of clubs that he can’t support — Chelsea, Man United, Man City, Liverpool, Arsenal and Gillingham — but other than that, I don’t really have a problem with him supporting any other clubs.

So, for people who’ve found themselves in the same boat, how did things pan out and do you think you did the right thing?! I had mates at school who supported random clubs from around the country because of their families, and I always thought that was brilliant, but did they miss out by only getting to see their team a handful of times a season?

Fulham FC: It's the taking part that counts

Should I steer my son towards Fulham or let him find his own club? on 11:02 - Jul 7 with 1823 viewsPBLOCK

My little girl is 2.5 and my Boy is 1 so haven't really got into all this yet. They have a shirt each and a couple of Rangers cuddly toys but that's about it.

Would.love for them to be R's and to be honest I will more than happily help them along the way if they show an interest but they are too young at the moment really.

Saying that the other day one of her buddies was round in his Arsenal kit and as I'm chatting to him" I say Arsenal really?! " I turn to her and say "Whose the bed football team" and she replies "qpeeaah daddy"

She did follow this up immediately with asking to watch Postman Pat so whether she is a just a devious female who knows how to.press my buttons already I'm not quite sure!!!
Should I steer my son towards Fulham or let him find his own club? on 11:13 - Jul 7 with 1804 viewsN12Hoop

The best option is to support a team that you can actually go to regularly. When I was at school we were all Liverpool fans, but once i was introduced to the R's and started going regularly (from around the age of 11) I naturally became addicted.

At a young age you will become hooked on the team you go to see irrespective of how good they are, and the glory-hunting mates don't have a leg to stand on when they can;t even find their team on a map.

A friend of mine has season tickets for him and his young son at Bristol Rovers and loves it. The problem in London is that there are so many alternatives to QPR, many of which are considerably better in terms of success, so it can be hard to keep a young kid turned on to QPR when many of their friends are watching those teams. Living in Bristol you shouldn't have that problem

Poll: Who would you most like to see win the Premiership?

Should I steer my son towards Fulham or let him find his own club? on 11:42 - Jul 7 with 1759 viewsPhildo

My eldest when about 5 asked me one morning if he could switch his allegiance to ManU as a number of boys at school were keen. No son that is not on- and he seemed happy with it. He is now 14 and really has no interest in football (except he looks out for our result)and sport generally. He did have a season ticket for a few years but in the end asked if he could stop coming because he found it depressing when we lost and he hated the drunken swearing coked up oaf who unfortunately sat behind him.

My other boy is 13 and sport mad and is very clear that he is RTID. Unfortunately he plays football for a club, Rugby for the school first team and hockey to county level- oh and in a waterpolo team for fun. This means he frequently has weeks with fixtures or training 7 days a week and muggins ferries him around. It means my season ticket was a disaster last year as i missed so many games it was criminal.

None of this was what i expected to be honest so maybe whatever you do it will just unfold in a certain way.
Should I steer my son towards Fulham or let him find his own club? on 12:41 - Jul 7 with 1701 viewsrunningman75

The team which is in your heart is better to try and pass this on to your son. In your case Fulham. When I have been to the West country it seems to be more into Rugby union then football and pubs are always more packed when it is an England rugby match. As for football fans there will be the glory fans of the Manchester clubs and probably those supporting Liverpool, Chelski and Arsenal who will never go to matches. Take your son to matches and if he gets stick he can at least say he actually watches his time live rather than just on the television. That is still my response when people make fun out of me for supporting QPR.
Should I steer my son towards Fulham or let him find his own club? on 12:41 - Jul 7 with 1701 viewsWokingR

Can I just step in and put a stop to all this nonsense as we have all been conned and Konk has obviously had his LFW account hacked

The suggestion that Konk, or any Fulham fan for that matter, would be moving out of the capital because of work commitments is quite frankly ludicrous
FFS, where is his butler expected to pick up a fresh brace of quail in Bristol ?
[Post edited 7 Jul 2016 12:51]
Should I steer my son towards Fulham or let him find his own club? on 13:11 - Jul 7 with 1666 viewsKonk

Should I steer my son towards Fulham or let him find his own club? on 12:41 - Jul 7 by WokingR

Can I just step in and put a stop to all this nonsense as we have all been conned and Konk has obviously had his LFW account hacked

The suggestion that Konk, or any Fulham fan for that matter, would be moving out of the capital because of work commitments is quite frankly ludicrous
FFS, where is his butler expected to pick up a fresh brace of quail in Bristol ?
[Post edited 7 Jul 2016 12:51]

Right, there’s a lot of good advice in this thread, and I think I’m now tilting towards Fulham indoctrination, with a relaxed, accepting response if he gravitates towards City or Rovers as he gets older. His main lullaby’s always been ‘Viva el Fulham’, so I’ve made a start.

In respect of our relocation — My wife is actually really good at her job, earns significantly more than me and loves her company, so I’m happy for the move as we both like Bristol and were going to have to leave town anyway because of house prices. No idea what I’m going to do, but I’m hoping to spend at least the first 10-20 years combining childcare with suduku/crosswords in the pub and a bit of county cricket, whilst half-heartedly applying for jobs I have no chance of getting. On the domestic help front, I can’t wait to get a butler with a strong Bristolian accent (“There’s your toast, my lover!”) Plenty of posh shops in Clifton that will sort me out with quail etc.

Should I steer my son towards Fulham or let him find his own club? on 13:14 - Jul 7 with 1664 viewsheadhoops

Afternoon Konk,

please can I point out your quite rudimentary typing error from you initial post?

'We’re leaving London and moving to Bristol next Summer, so that creates another dilemma'.

surely that should be We're leaving London and buying Bristol?

In answer to the question. Let him find his own way that's what I did with my two. One had a dabble with Manure the other went completely off the rails and followed the scum. Their defections only lasted around 3 months each before they realised that instead of being 'in' with all their mates, in fact they became despised by their 95% of their mates. Both are now RTID.

My father supported Spurs - if he had the same narrow minded attitude I would never have experienced 40 years of QPR.

Poll: Remy - can he play in the playoffs - who's opening post is the best?

Should I steer my son towards Fulham or let him find his own club? on 13:15 - Jul 7 with 1664 viewsTGRRRSSS

Was he born in London, if so why not direct to Fulham.

Forget the school mates stuff and focus him on your club - or better yet explain about that brilliant side and your secret love over in W12
Login to get fewer ads

Should I steer my son towards Fulham or let him find his own club? on 13:20 - Jul 7 with 1654 viewsterryb

My comments for what they're worth!

He is your son Konk. You will still love him whoever he followed (even if he chose the dark side!) It won't matter if he has no interest in football either!

Bristol Manor Farm may be the side you want to follow in that city. I think they are the top non league side & are on the rise, having a good run in the Vase last season. You might even get an away bonding weekend to the Northumberland coast!

A more important question is to ask you not to forgo posting on this board when you have moved. I, for one, enjoy your posts (not so sure that is true after you've thrashed us again) & look forward to reading about Rupert's invasion of Bristol!
Should I steer my son towards Fulham or let him find his own club? on 13:28 - Jul 7 with 1643 viewsCroydonCaptJack

Should I steer my son towards Fulham or let him find his own club? on 09:24 - Jul 7 by Northernr

Short answer, leave him to find his own way with the obvious caveat that if he picks Chelsea or Man Utd he'll have one week to vacate the house and start foraging for food by himself.

My dad was as QPR obsessed as they come, travelled to every match from Grimsby when we were kids including the 5-5 game with Newcastle on the day I came out of the hospital as a new born meaning my mum had to bring me home in a taxi. But there was a rule that he wasn't allowed to mention QPR to me at all until I mentioned it to him, big risk considering all the kids at school supported Man Utd and Liverpool.

Anywaywhen I was about 7 or 8 and wanted to know where he went every weekend, wanted to have a football team so I could fit in at school and wanted to go and hang around with my dad and the grown ups and talk about football so I asked him if I could come and got whisked off to Southampton A in the FA Cup 3rd Round (lost 2-0, Clive Wilson missed a penalty) in 1992. Barely missed a game since.

Hey Clive, was that the game after the famous victory over Man Utd away ?
If so, I was at that game having been to Old Trafford the week before. If ever there was a case of 'after the Lord Mayors Show' that was it!
Should I steer my son towards Fulham or let him find his own club? on 13:40 - Jul 7 with 1623 viewsCroydonCaptJack

Growing up in South London, my two lads could have easily gravitated towards Palace but I took them both quite early to HQ and it has never really been an issue. Of course they have regretted it over the years but then that's part of the fun isn't it?

I think you should encourage your lad to support your team as it is brilliant for bonding. I have met loads of dopporters over the years of teams nowhere near London but if they grew up in that area or there Dad did etc then that always seems like a legitimate shout to me. Far more so than the genuine (there's a paradox) glory hunters.

By that way, I hope this doesn't mean we lose you as a poster mate. I presume they have the internet in Bristol?
[Post edited 7 Jul 2016 13:41]
Should I steer my son towards Fulham or let him find his own club? on 13:42 - Jul 7 with 1616 viewsDevon_4_England

If you leave it any longer he will be Tottenham.

Get him down the Rangers Club shop asap and kit him out with the new kit and a Junior Hoops membership.

Everyone is QPR, some just don't know it yet.

In all seriousness, I (perhaps selfishly) think it is a Father's prerogative for their children to follow their football team if it is important to them.

You clearly want your son to be Fulham. Who can blame you. It is your club.

There is nothing better than watching football with your children. By all means embrace Bristol City when you move. Embrace a local non-league team. Steer your son to the Club you love though. He will thank you one day.
Should I steer my son towards Fulham or let him find his own club? on 13:45 - Jul 7 with 1610 viewsKonk

Should I steer my son towards Fulham or let him find his own club? on 13:20 - Jul 7 by terryb

My comments for what they're worth!

He is your son Konk. You will still love him whoever he followed (even if he chose the dark side!) It won't matter if he has no interest in football either!

Bristol Manor Farm may be the side you want to follow in that city. I think they are the top non league side & are on the rise, having a good run in the Vase last season. You might even get an away bonding weekend to the Northumberland coast!

A more important question is to ask you not to forgo posting on this board when you have moved. I, for one, enjoy your posts (not so sure that is true after you've thrashed us again) & look forward to reading about Rupert's invasion of Bristol!

Thanks for your kind words and you're right of course, I will love him regardless.

When we first decided to move to Bristol, I knew that the Mayor was famous for his red trousers, and that seemed like fate. Unfortunately, he was booted out of office at the last Mayoral election, which is making me question whether Bristol is as red-trouser friendly as I had hoped. I'm sure I'd be fine in Clifton and Redland, just not sure how well they'll go down in South Bristol. Something else for me to worry about.

Should I steer my son towards Fulham or let him find his own club? on 13:46 - Jul 7 with 1610 viewsslmrstid

I grew up in Northamptonshire and now live in Leicester. When I was a kid my Dad started me off in football by taking me to our local non-league team (Rushden & Diamonds) to see if I was interested, then when it turned out I was and we'd done half a season there he saw the opportunity to rekindle his QPR support (which had waned through the 80s and early 90s, not so much from disinterest but simply circumstances as he played to a decent level himself plus with young kids/mortgage etc).

My first game was at home to Southampton in 1996 and we won 3-0, something which at the time felt natural as Rushden & Diamonds always won. In hindsight that's because R&D were massively bankrolled and had the budget of a Division 2 club whilst playing in the Southern Premier League. For us it was our first home win in 4 months and we were relegated a month later, though at the time none of that meant much to me.

Apparently I was a bit intimidated by the crowds at LR (I was 6 at the time) so my Dad didnt take me again for 2 years, by which point we really were rubbish and every time we went we always lost and I always used to cry (although that soon stopped when I started going regularly and realised how often that occurred!) However, it was where my Dad wanted to go and I wanted in with him and that is where my love affair with QPR started.

I couldn't stand R&D much after that either when they then got into the Football League and ended up in the same league as us. I don't have much interest in their reincarnation either, and Kettering Town and Northampton Town are very much my local favourites now (NOT Leicester City as evidenced in my first post on here )

If there is one regret I do have though from being an R living miles away from London is that I've never really known any other QPR fans outside of my dad. There is a handful of others I know, but I've never really been able to go to games with mates of my own age etc as a "boys day out", unless they were friends who had no interest in QPR.

So my advice Konk would be try and make your lad a Fulham supporter (I don't regret being a QPR fan instead of a full time Cobbler or Poppy for a minute!) but by all means let him have his local team as a 2nd team to make occasional visits to.

Days out to the football with my dad are the best in the world and when the day inevitably comes (which hopefully won't be for a long time yet!) that they are no more I will miss them very very much.
Should I steer my son towards Fulham or let him find his own club? on 13:46 - Jul 7 with 1608 viewsRangersw12

I have 3 kids

My daughter doesn't really like but she has been to a QPR game and wants to go again

Middle one is 7 and he seems to like football and QPR and has been to 3 games a 1-0 defeat , 0-0 draw and a 2-0 defeat so hopefully this season he will see his first goal and maybe even a win

Youngest is only 8 months

All my family are QPR so the kids don't really have much of a choice as I won't take them to any other team
Should I steer my son towards Fulham or let him find his own club? on 14:26 - Jul 7 with 1479 viewsDannyPaddox

A bit of subliminal persuasion might do the trick. Next christmas construct a Fulham-themed nativity scene. Instead of the baby Jesus place a scale model of the Jacko statue in a cottage (of course) rather than a manger surrounded by llamas and chimpanzees in bright red cordrouy trousers. Al-Fayeed, Felix Magath, and Jimmy Hill as the three wise men each bearing a gift: a gilet, a replica kit, and the severed head of Roy Hodgson. Tommy Trinder in drag as the Virgin Mary. Adel Taraabt driving a bus in the wintry hinterland while Teddy Maybank, George Best, and Rodney Marsh caught short turn the snow yellow. Just a thought and a worthwhile project with all that spare time on your hands. Good luck with the move.
[Post edited 7 Jul 2016 14:30]
Should I steer my son towards Fulham or let him find his own club? on 14:41 - Jul 7 with 1456 viewsKonk

Should I steer my son towards Fulham or let him find his own club? on 13:46 - Jul 7 by slmrstid

I grew up in Northamptonshire and now live in Leicester. When I was a kid my Dad started me off in football by taking me to our local non-league team (Rushden & Diamonds) to see if I was interested, then when it turned out I was and we'd done half a season there he saw the opportunity to rekindle his QPR support (which had waned through the 80s and early 90s, not so much from disinterest but simply circumstances as he played to a decent level himself plus with young kids/mortgage etc).

My first game was at home to Southampton in 1996 and we won 3-0, something which at the time felt natural as Rushden & Diamonds always won. In hindsight that's because R&D were massively bankrolled and had the budget of a Division 2 club whilst playing in the Southern Premier League. For us it was our first home win in 4 months and we were relegated a month later, though at the time none of that meant much to me.

Apparently I was a bit intimidated by the crowds at LR (I was 6 at the time) so my Dad didnt take me again for 2 years, by which point we really were rubbish and every time we went we always lost and I always used to cry (although that soon stopped when I started going regularly and realised how often that occurred!) However, it was where my Dad wanted to go and I wanted in with him and that is where my love affair with QPR started.

I couldn't stand R&D much after that either when they then got into the Football League and ended up in the same league as us. I don't have much interest in their reincarnation either, and Kettering Town and Northampton Town are very much my local favourites now (NOT Leicester City as evidenced in my first post on here )

If there is one regret I do have though from being an R living miles away from London is that I've never really known any other QPR fans outside of my dad. There is a handful of others I know, but I've never really been able to go to games with mates of my own age etc as a "boys day out", unless they were friends who had no interest in QPR.

So my advice Konk would be try and make your lad a Fulham supporter (I don't regret being a QPR fan instead of a full time Cobbler or Poppy for a minute!) but by all means let him have his local team as a 2nd team to make occasional visits to.

Days out to the football with my dad are the best in the world and when the day inevitably comes (which hopefully won't be for a long time yet!) that they are no more I will miss them very very much.

I have to say, I absolutely love my trips up to Edinburgh to watch Hibs with my Dad, even though they're few and far between these days. Wish we supported the same club in London as I do feel I miss out a bit by not sharing that bond with my Dad.

Should I steer my son towards Fulham or let him find his own club? on 14:47 - Jul 7 with 1441 viewsKonk

Should I steer my son towards Fulham or let him find his own club? on 14:26 - Jul 7 by DannyPaddox

A bit of subliminal persuasion might do the trick. Next christmas construct a Fulham-themed nativity scene. Instead of the baby Jesus place a scale model of the Jacko statue in a cottage (of course) rather than a manger surrounded by llamas and chimpanzees in bright red cordrouy trousers. Al-Fayeed, Felix Magath, and Jimmy Hill as the three wise men each bearing a gift: a gilet, a replica kit, and the severed head of Roy Hodgson. Tommy Trinder in drag as the Virgin Mary. Adel Taraabt driving a bus in the wintry hinterland while Teddy Maybank, George Best, and Rodney Marsh caught short turn the snow yellow. Just a thought and a worthwhile project with all that spare time on your hands. Good luck with the move.
[Post edited 7 Jul 2016 14:30]

Danny, that is a blinding idea, but I'm the least creative bloke in the world, so I'm not sure I'd be able to do your vision justice. I also have a bit of an issue with the image of Roy's head being detached from Roy's shoulders. As a close friend and occasional drinking partner of Roy's, I can go with a detached head gift, but only in a gold bust scenario.

As it is, I think I'm just gonna play 'Viva el Fulham' on heavy rotation for the next twenty years. If he hasn't cracked by then, I'll hold up my hands and accept it hasn't worked. "Dowwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwn the Fulham Road they're burning with ambition..."

Should I steer my son towards Fulham or let him find his own club? on 14:53 - Jul 7 with 1432 viewsSimonJames

I picked the team nearest to where I was born (well the Scum are about half a mile closer but obviously I was never going to pick them).

My two oldest sons where born in Kingston Surrey, so obviously one of them picked Man U and the other couldn't give a monkey's about football.

My six year old was born in Harlow - he's currently wrestling with the choice of Arsenal (like his Harlow born uncle), Spurs (to piss off his Gooner uncle), or Cambridge Utd who his minis team is affiliated to.

100% of people who drink water will die.

Should I steer my son towards Fulham or let him find his own club? on 18:44 - Jul 7 with 1327 viewsNW5Hoop

Should I steer my son towards Fulham or let him find his own club? on 14:53 - Jul 7 by SimonJames

I picked the team nearest to where I was born (well the Scum are about half a mile closer but obviously I was never going to pick them).

My two oldest sons where born in Kingston Surrey, so obviously one of them picked Man U and the other couldn't give a monkey's about football.

My six year old was born in Harlow - he's currently wrestling with the choice of Arsenal (like his Harlow born uncle), Spurs (to piss off his Gooner uncle), or Cambridge Utd who his minis team is affiliated to.

Sorry - didn't mean to quote a post. This is in reply to the OP.

If I were you, I'd take him to City a few times this season, not to make him support them, but to see if a) he likes going to watch football and b) whether he feels affiinity with them. Fulham can always be his second team. But you get so much more out of supporting a team you actually watch, and he'll have the chance to make friends he can go to games with for years to come which, with all respect, he won't if you demand he support Fulham. Or take him to City and Rovers, see what he enjoys. Maybe he won't care about football one way or the other, and at least that way you'll save a truckload of money.
[Post edited 7 Jul 2016 18:47]
Should I steer my son towards Fulham or let him find his own club? on 19:04 - Jul 7 with 1315 viewsBoston

Should I steer my son towards Fulham or let him find his own club? on 10:43 - Jul 7 by johncharles

My son was born at Queen Charlotte's.

Too risky, y'know it's now the Queen Charlottes and Chelsea Hospital?

Poll: Thank God The Seaons Over.

Should I steer my son towards Fulham or let him find his own club? on 19:07 - Jul 7 with 1313 viewsBoston

...and Konk, I wouldn't be happy if my son didn't follow the Rangers. In fact he always stood out at school because of this, having QPR tattooed on forehead when he was two might have helped.

Poll: Thank God The Seaons Over.

Should I steer my son towards Fulham or let him find his own club? on 19:17 - Jul 7 with 1305 viewsMrSheen

He'll start off at five wanting to fit in with his mates or because he wants to support a team he can boast about winning all the time. Ignore it. Tell him if he wants to see a live game, he can come with you to one you want to see when he's 6 or 7. The promise of sweets will overcome any life long loyalty he has built up. With luck, he'll be hooked. By seven or eight, kids are happier to stand out than be the same as everyone else.
Should I steer my son towards Fulham or let him find his own club? on 19:22 - Jul 7 with 1298 viewsjohncharles

Should I steer my son towards Fulham or let him find his own club? on 19:04 - Jul 7 by Boston

Too risky, y'know it's now the Queen Charlottes and Chelsea Hospital?

Behave Boston. Queen Charlotte's as it was in Goldhawk Road before it was knocked down. You could LR from the sixth floor. My son blown away by the inevitability of it all. He's been a Ranger for 30 years now.

Strong and stable my arse.

Should I steer my son towards Fulham or let him find his own club? on 20:05 - Jul 7 with 1264 viewsDanVanDyke

My 10 year old has really got the football bug in the last year and despite a bit of prompting to support Rangers, he's gone with Newcastle (local team). His mum (my ex) tried to get him to support Chelscum to p me off when we were going through the acrimonious stage of divorce, but he never took to them. He has a Chelscum lad at school who he thinks is a dick, so that's cool.

I'm not bothered who he supports really, I think being a fan sets you up for a life of misery punctuated by the odd high and is essentially a mug's game, but we're all in too deep now! Hi step-mum is a season ticket holder for Newcastle and he wants to start going to games with her which is nice, we've encircled in 1 Feb for his first match. My old man supports Sunderland but isn't very ardent and my brother is like a Clive version Southampton fan, doesn't miss many at all so we're a weird family.

We do all support Switzerland and I've got my boy into them, even buying him the strip for the Poland game. His mum isn't too happy about that! I figure even if I never take him in the Loft End at least I'll get him to the W@nkdorf!!
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024