Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
championship 17:07 - Feb 9 with 4712 viewsGloucs_R

Are we punching above our weight and it's the championship more suited to us?

Poll: Are we staying up?

championship on 17:57 - Feb 9 with 958 viewsqblockpete

We have the potential to grow but at the moment I would suggest we are punching our weight. Look at clubs like Crystal Palace who have bigger support and Watford who are now having the sames gates we had in the Championship. We don't even sell out for home games in the Premiership unless we are playing the so called bigger clubs.

We have the opportunity to grow and Wigan are a fine example of showing how home gates increase the longer you remain in the Premiership. Would imagine we are at least 4-5 years away though from reaching the dizzy heights of 30-35,000 crowds which the board believe we could get
championship on 18:08 - Feb 9 with 936 viewspaulparker

Tbh i have given up caring if we are in the prem or not
all i want is some security at the club, good youngsters, a couple of old heads and a couple of unknown but good players from overseas
i want to go to Rangers and really look forward to it, i want a good drink up when we win, and if that means the championship for a couple of years then so be it

And Bowles is onside, Swinburne has come rushing out of his goal , what can Bowles do here , onto the left foot no, on to the right foot That’s there that’s two, and that’s Bowles Brian Moore

championship on 18:20 - Feb 9 with 927 viewsbosh67

I think we've managed to get things about as wrong as possible this season and it's not for having owners and board that don't care.

We simply aren't good enough because we simply don't have enough honest players like Swansea and Norwich etc who are prepared to do a job and play a certain style of football.

The problem is that Harry said we were unbalanced so he shored up the defence. He said we were too heavy in midfield so we got more midfielders. He said we didn't have forwards so he bought a striker who can't keep fit, kept two strikers who don't score goals, has another that can't last 45 minutes and let one go who scored a hat full one league down.

Today we did badly at the back but the problem is teams or more to the point, managers look at what Harry is doing - parking the bus at the back and breaking away. Except today the easy way to take that part is just to attack us hard and wait for us to concede because we have no goal threat going forward. So in a nutshell, right now, that's why we are going down. A complete lack of fire power and a window to sort it out where we bought the French striking version of Matthew Rose!

We'll probably beat Man Utd now!

I have to say I have more or less hated every second of the Prem experience. I look at Swansea, who edged into this league and Norwich, who bullied their way into this league and look at the side we had that cruised effortlessly passed both and think, what the f*ck happened there.

Championship is where we belong I'm afraid for all our sanity's sake.

Never knowingly right.
Poll: How long before new signings become quivering wrecks of the players they were?

championship on 18:29 - Feb 9 with 917 viewsPey

championship on 18:20 - Feb 9 by bosh67

I think we've managed to get things about as wrong as possible this season and it's not for having owners and board that don't care.

We simply aren't good enough because we simply don't have enough honest players like Swansea and Norwich etc who are prepared to do a job and play a certain style of football.

The problem is that Harry said we were unbalanced so he shored up the defence. He said we were too heavy in midfield so we got more midfielders. He said we didn't have forwards so he bought a striker who can't keep fit, kept two strikers who don't score goals, has another that can't last 45 minutes and let one go who scored a hat full one league down.

Today we did badly at the back but the problem is teams or more to the point, managers look at what Harry is doing - parking the bus at the back and breaking away. Except today the easy way to take that part is just to attack us hard and wait for us to concede because we have no goal threat going forward. So in a nutshell, right now, that's why we are going down. A complete lack of fire power and a window to sort it out where we bought the French striking version of Matthew Rose!

I have to say I have more or less hated every second of the Prem experience. I look at Swansea, who edged into this league and Norwich, who bullied their way into this league and look at the side we had that cruised effortlessly passed both and think, what the f*ck happened there.

+ 1

championship on 18:32 - Feb 9 with 911 viewsWeaverQPR

championship on 18:08 - Feb 9 by paulparker

Tbh i have given up caring if we are in the prem or not
all i want is some security at the club, good youngsters, a couple of old heads and a couple of unknown but good players from overseas
i want to go to Rangers and really look forward to it, i want a good drink up when we win, and if that means the championship for a couple of years then so be it

for me in a nutshell

@WeavQPR

championship on 19:05 - Feb 10 with 872 viewsGloucs_R

Seems that most of us would be happy in the Championship!

Poll: Are we staying up?

championship on 20:02 - Feb 10 with 843 viewspeejaybee

championship on 19:05 - Feb 10 by Gloucs_R

Seems that most of us would be happy in the Championship!

Roll on,sooner the better.

If at first you dont succeed, pack up and f**k off home.

championship on 21:49 - Feb 10 with 822 viewsCiderwithRsie

I don't buy this idea that our natural level is 2nd tier. I don't see any reason why the club can't put out a team as good as West Brom or Southampton or Norwich or Stoke or Swansea - or Wigan over the past few years.

But this from Bosh is so true:
"I have to say I have more or less hated every second of the Prem experience. I look at Swansea, who edged into this league and Norwich, who bullied their way into this league and look at the side we had that cruised effortlessly passed both and think, what the f*ck happened there."

Its not about our "natural level" or about "bigger clubs". Its about a massive f*ck up at pretty much every level from board to players.
Login to get fewer ads

championship on 00:10 - Feb 11 with 796 viewsSomersetHoops

The fact is we have a load of expensive players not bothering to punch at all. If we had the time again we should have got a young energetic manager who could bring in young energetic players from the lower divisions, keen to prove themselves and ready to fight for the team.

It seems that Harry has just brought in more of the same type of players that Hughes did only his favourites this time. I don't know what DJ and Cisse did or said to be shipped out, but somewhere along the line they must have fallen out with Harry, otherwise there was no sense in getting shot of them with no reliable alternatives.

The problem is we have nobody with the competence and judgement to watch a player and assess them irrespective of their reputation, where they are playing and how little they might cost. So as a result we fill our team with overpaid mercenaries with no fight or interest in QPR - is it any surprise we have failed and will continue to untill somebody at the club realises we need to build a team. Throwing expensive prima-donnas at it does not work and never will. If anyone needs the best example of what proves to be exactly how not to do things there will be no better example than QPR in the last two seasons.
[Post edited 1 Jan 1970 1:00]

Who's Next?

championship on 00:22 - Feb 11 with 786 viewsCornish_oooRRRR

championship on 18:20 - Feb 9 by bosh67

+2. Spot on

It's got to be Yarg

championship on 06:25 - Feb 11 with 768 viewsDesertBoot

Dave McIntyre was tweeting this squad would be bottom of the Championship too.
Bit over the top but probably only out by five or six places. No doubt we will be down there for several seasons if relegated.

Wish I could be like David Watts

championship on 06:57 - Feb 11 with 762 viewsLblock

championship on 06:25 - Feb 11 by DesertBoot

Dave McIntyre was tweeting this squad would be bottom of the Championship too.
Bit over the top but probably only out by five or six places. No doubt we will be down there for several seasons if relegated.

Why over the top?

The majority of this mob are either just going through the motions (badly) or playing for themselves. I cannot see those on 4 year + contracts suddenly deciding on a cold windswept Tuesday night in the Championship that they'd best work their balls off for their inflated salary to ensure we win a game

We could however see players like Samba stay and prove me totally wrong and boss the league

Whatever happens we have two years of parachute payments to sort it out; after that its oblivion!!

Cherish and enjoy life.... this ain't no dress rehearsal

championship on 08:01 - Feb 11 with 739 viewsElHoop

Due to the Faurlin affair we didn't have a 'proper going up' feel to the season like most teams have especially when they win the Championship. It's a bit like one of those horror/mystery films when somebody who should be dead isn't dead or doesn't know that he's dead and all sorts of shit happens and in the end he has to be dead and maybe that's our fate. Maybe we have to go down and come up properly and then everything will kind of be good karma and we 'll have time to sign the players we need when we go up and not end up taking pot luck. Somehow we never got over that promotion trauma and the late takeover which resulted. I think that we can do well in the Championship - there's not too much wrong with this side that a few relatively cheap signings won't resolve, it's just not good enough to play catch up in this league by the look of it, and that's no disgrace. There won't be a long queue to sign most of them due to age, injuries, form whatever so they'll just have to knuckle down and get us promoted and most of them will i reckon.

But I'm not giving up on this season just yet, sure it looks very difficult but stranger things have happened.
championship on 09:08 - Feb 11 with 679 viewsPetros

I know this is a tribal game, but does no-one out there enjoy seeing some of the best players in the world at our ground? And can anything match the feeling of a full ground acclaiming an unexpected win? Have you forgotten Liverpool, Arsenal, Spurs last year? Or even the draws against Man City and Spurs this year? I HATE us not being in the Prem.
championship on 09:18 - Feb 11 with 674 viewsjohnhoop

championship on 21:49 - Feb 10 by CiderwithRsie

I don't buy this idea that our natural level is 2nd tier. I don't see any reason why the club can't put out a team as good as West Brom or Southampton or Norwich or Stoke or Swansea - or Wigan over the past few years.

But this from Bosh is so true:
"I have to say I have more or less hated every second of the Prem experience. I look at Swansea, who edged into this league and Norwich, who bullied their way into this league and look at the side we had that cruised effortlessly passed both and think, what the f*ck happened there."

Its not about our "natural level" or about "bigger clubs". Its about a massive f*ck up at pretty much every level from board to players.

+1 and also for Bosh's excellent post.Granted we're extremely unlikely to be anywhere near the top of the Premier League but I don't buy this idea that our natural level is a tier below clubs like Swansea and Norwich and a fair few others.
championship on 09:45 - Feb 11 with 656 viewsBluce_Ree

What is this fagg0try?

If all we can look forward to is being in a lower division and basically propping up the structure that makes clubs like Utd, City and Chelsea a ton of cash and keeps them in silverware, then what's the fking point?

If Fulham and Wigan, who in my eyes are still old 3rd division clubs, can make it and consolidate, why can't we?

Because we've got a team of hooped c*nts, yes. But I still hope we can one day get the right formula. It won't be this year though.

Stefan Moore, Stefan Moore running down the wing. Stefan Moore, Stefan Moore running down the wing. He runs like a cheetah, his crosses couldn't be sweeter. Stefan Moore. Stefan Moore. Stefan Moore.

championship on 10:48 - Feb 11 with 625 viewsWeaverQPR

championship on 09:45 - Feb 11 by Bluce_Ree

What is this fagg0try?

If all we can look forward to is being in a lower division and basically propping up the structure that makes clubs like Utd, City and Chelsea a ton of cash and keeps them in silverware, then what's the fking point?

If Fulham and Wigan, who in my eyes are still old 3rd division clubs, can make it and consolidate, why can't we?

Because we've got a team of hooped c*nts, yes. But I still hope we can one day get the right formula. It won't be this year though.

Weve had our chance and we have royally fcked it up.

@WeavQPR

championship on 11:08 - Feb 11 with 606 viewsJamie

championship on 10:48 - Feb 11 by WeaverQPR

Weve had our chance and we have royally fcked it up.

As said before, we won't be back. In the short term at least. IMO.
championship on 11:15 - Feb 11 with 599 viewsdaveB

championship on 17:40 - Feb 9 by Jamie

Our core attendance was 10/11k before a bit of success arrived.

Wigan have survived so long by being sensibly run, sensibly invested, have a clever, loyal manager and pick up players making huge step ups in their careers who are motivated to work a nut off.

thats not really true, we were getting more than 11k in Division two and under Gregory when we were crap.

I fail to see how anyone can judge how we will do next season when we have no idea what division we will be in, no idea how the manager will be and no idea what the team will be.
championship on 11:16 - Feb 11 with 597 viewsWeaverQPR

championship on 11:08 - Feb 11 by Jamie

As said before, we won't be back. In the short term at least. IMO.

Yep TF will no doubt start writing blank cheques for Stevie Cotterill to buy us promotion. ~As Kosky says we don't seem to learn.

@WeavQPR

championship on 11:20 - Feb 11 with 591 viewsJonDoeman

championship on 11:15 - Feb 11 by daveB

thats not really true, we were getting more than 11k in Division two and under Gregory when we were crap.

I fail to see how anyone can judge how we will do next season when we have no idea what division we will be in, no idea how the manager will be and no idea what the team will be.

You can if your remit is to dump as much negativity on the board as you can!

It Is What It Is !!

championship on 11:20 - Feb 11 with 591 viewsngbqpr

When Newcastle went down, the likes of Owen & Duff couldn't jump ship quick enough. However the likes of Nolan, Coloccini, Carroll and a certain J Barton stayed - which was enough for them to walk the division. West Ham needed the play offs, but again did it by holding on to several players on Prem salaries.

I know they both get much bigger crowds - but if TF is prepared to stick with it in the Championship, the question is have we got enough quality players who'll (a) stick around and (b) put in the required effort to give us a chance of a quick return?

As I see it:

Would definitely leave and we'll at least get half decent wedge for them
Cesar, Adel, Granero, Remy...and I reckon Samba too

Would want to leave and would have a half decent chance of finding a buyer
Mbia, Mackie, Diakite

Will leave if their current loan clubs fancy them, and we'll def try to offload regardless
Barton, Anton, Cisse, DJ...and I fear Faurlin (tho I'd keep him)

We'll try to offload / they'll want to go but may be easier said than done
Bosingwa, Park, Hoilet

Think I'm right in saying TBH, Hulse & Hogan will be out of contract...so that leaves us with:

Green, Murphy, Onouha, Hill, Traore, Suk Youg, Derry, Jenas, AJ, SWP, Zamora

In a nutshell - we'll be starting again building yet another new squad

Poll: Best hug a stranger / fall down five rows / 'limbs' late goals this season

championship on 11:25 - Feb 11 with 582 viewsdaveB

championship on 09:45 - Feb 11 by Bluce_Ree

What is this fagg0try?

agree with that, a lot of rose tinted specs about the Championship, coming away from losing to some right crap at that level was hardly more enjoyable than losing to good teams at this one.

We can be a good side at this level but need to get the basics right, we came up with no foundations at all, poor training facilities, no academy no scouting set up it was a shambles behind the scenes and tbh still is now. If we get the basics right we could build to become a good solid club at this level.

Also find it incredible that anyone thinks a side with Taarabt, Cesar and Samba in would be bottom of the championship.

championship on 11:32 - Feb 11 with 554 viewsJuzzie

I too don't subscribe to the notion that the Championship is our level.

Sure, I've hated the fact we've lost most of games the last couple of years but I don't want to drop down a divison just "to win more games". If I followed a team to simply watch a lot of wins, there would be other teams I could easily jump on board with, like most of the brain-dead population who can't cope with supporting a team that doesn't win every week.

However, there's no reason why we could not have emulated Swansea for example. We've had the chance and messed it up, hugely.

If we go down, we go down. I just hope the owners stick by their promise and do their best to get us back up and get it right the next time.

championship on 11:43 - Feb 11 with 541 viewsngbqpr

For as long as I can remember, Arsenal & Spurs were the two biggest London clubs - until you know who muscled their way in

Arguably West Ham are the fourth biggest, tho they have spent several stretches in the second tier in the last few decades

However the top tier has frequently supported 4, often 5, London clubs. Over the last 35 years or so, ourselves, Fulham, Charlton, Palace and even Wimbledon have all had our spells in the limelight....the difference since the Prem started is that if you have a sustained period in there, your crowds WILL go up, as evidenced by both Charlton and latterly Fulham - and as ours would if we could string a few years together at this level...and yes, move to a bigger stadium or expand the current one

Poll: Best hug a stranger / fall down five rows / 'limbs' late goals this season

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024