Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Grimes and Fulton 23:20 - Oct 2 with 2419 viewsThrasher6

Is the Captain influencing the selection process? Why so many times together? I'm simply at a loss to see why this pairing still gets the first call...

Poll: Social Distancing: When will it be an obsolete word?

Grimes and Fulton on 23:26 - Oct 2 with 1558 viewsKeithHaynes

He obviously has massive influence at the club. Fulton wasn’t too bad tonight, but Grimes is a huge influence off the pitch. However, he was nowhere when Tymon put that ball away for the Blades winner.

This post has been edited by an administrator

A great believer in taking anything you like to wherever you want to.
Blog: Do you want to start a career in journalism ?

Grimes and Fulton on 00:03 - Oct 3 with 1484 viewsRichardO

Grimes and Fulton on 23:26 - Oct 2 by KeithHaynes

He obviously has massive influence at the club. Fulton wasn’t too bad tonight, but Grimes is a huge influence off the pitch. However, he was nowhere when Tymon put that ball away for the Blades winner.

I thought Fulton played well but I thought that was all to do with Grimes also pushing further up the pitch.
But despair at the unwillingness to throw or pass the ball into the box, how many times have we seen players skirting around the box not prepared to get into the danger area, at one point Eom had four players around him in the box and no-one took the opportunity to exploit the space created in the box as Eom waited in vain for someone to join him, how many times did we see under Martin a game of pass the "parcel" along the edge of the box with no chance of shooting and yet in one game Cundle didn't follow orders and drove into the box miscued his shot which caused chaos for Cooper who had also ignored orders and got into the box to score a goal as a result.
You have to take chances as they arrive whether a shot from distance or a mistake from defenders, you have to force defenders to make mistakes. Once in the box the defender margin for errors are minimal and we must exploit them.
Grimes and Fulton on 06:54 - Oct 3 with 1390 viewsDr_Winston

Grimes and Fulton on 00:03 - Oct 3 by RichardO

I thought Fulton played well but I thought that was all to do with Grimes also pushing further up the pitch.
But despair at the unwillingness to throw or pass the ball into the box, how many times have we seen players skirting around the box not prepared to get into the danger area, at one point Eom had four players around him in the box and no-one took the opportunity to exploit the space created in the box as Eom waited in vain for someone to join him, how many times did we see under Martin a game of pass the "parcel" along the edge of the box with no chance of shooting and yet in one game Cundle didn't follow orders and drove into the box miscued his shot which caused chaos for Cooper who had also ignored orders and got into the box to score a goal as a result.
You have to take chances as they arrive whether a shot from distance or a mistake from defenders, you have to force defenders to make mistakes. Once in the box the defender margin for errors are minimal and we must exploit them.

It is, unfortunately, the modern management style, of which as a club we are all too enamoured. Keep the ball. Play the safe pass. Don't take risks. Makes for stultifyingly dull football in the main.

Pain or damage don't end the world. Or despair, or f*cking beatings. The world ends when you're dead. Until then, you got more punishment in store. Stand it like a man... and give some back.

Grimes and Fulton on 07:05 - Oct 3 with 1375 viewsjack247

Grimes is not going to have the power to get our best player so far this season (IMO) benched and not brought on. I very much doubt he’d want to either.

Fulton hasn’t started the few games prior to last night and I doubt he’ll start that much going forward. It’s just a case of managing the squad for 3 games in 6 days.

Despite how bereft we are in certain areas of the pitch, we’re overstocked in central midfield. Franco will start most games when available.

I thought Fulton had a decent game last night.
Grimes and Fulton on 07:34 - Oct 3 with 1354 viewsjackal

Grimes was very good as always, and I thought Eom was outstanding last night. It's odd that he can't give us 90 minutes.

But we are so desperate for a striker it's painful.

A good striker would cost a lot. We know that, but without one we are going to struggle.
Grimes and Fulton on 08:09 - Oct 3 with 1267 viewsDr_Winston

Grimes and Fulton on 07:34 - Oct 3 by jackal

Grimes was very good as always, and I thought Eom was outstanding last night. It's odd that he can't give us 90 minutes.

A good striker would cost a lot. We know that, but without one we are going to struggle.

Eom "can't give us 90 minutes" in much the same way as Franco apparently can't give us 90 minutes, or Ntcham couldn't give us 90 minutes in that they almost certainly can, but for some reason our subs appear largely pre-determined before the game.

There was no real need to go with MPH upfront either. Vipotnik has hardly been taxed in recent matches. In any case, it would have been better to elevate Wilson from the u21's if we needed a natural striker on the bench to cover instead of shoehorning yet another player in out of position.

Pain or damage don't end the world. Or despair, or f*cking beatings. The world ends when you're dead. Until then, you got more punishment in store. Stand it like a man... and give some back.

Grimes and Fulton on 08:34 - Oct 3 with 1240 viewsshandyjack

Grimes and Fulton on 08:09 - Oct 3 by Dr_Winston

Eom "can't give us 90 minutes" in much the same way as Franco apparently can't give us 90 minutes, or Ntcham couldn't give us 90 minutes in that they almost certainly can, but for some reason our subs appear largely pre-determined before the game.

There was no real need to go with MPH upfront either. Vipotnik has hardly been taxed in recent matches. In any case, it would have been better to elevate Wilson from the u21's if we needed a natural striker on the bench to cover instead of shoehorning yet another player in out of position.

The LW apologist are out in force on twitter blaming a 'lack of squad depth' when it reality it's LW not utilising his tools correctly as per his mentor

Poll: Expectation for the season

Grimes and Fulton on 08:45 - Oct 3 with 1220 viewsonehunglow

Grimes and Fulton on 08:34 - Oct 3 by shandyjack

The LW apologist are out in force on twitter blaming a 'lack of squad depth' when it reality it's LW not utilising his tools correctly as per his mentor

We made the pitiful decision to loan out strikers without bringing in replacements who were better
Apart from that the show is Williams
He is “ out of his depth”

Poll: Christmas. Enjoyable or not

Login to get fewer ads

Grimes and Fulton on 09:30 - Oct 3 with 1168 viewsLegend83

"Grimes was very good as always"...is this sarcasm? Apart from the two key moments he passed the ball straight to a SU player resulting in an attack on our goal...and the "free-kick" at the end?

He was dreadful against Bristol too.

But seemingly un-droppable.
Grimes and Fulton on 09:37 - Oct 3 with 1154 viewsDr_Winston

Grimes and Fulton on 08:34 - Oct 3 by shandyjack

There is certainly an element of that to it.

Overall I thought we battled quite well last night against strong opponents though. Certainly there are a few favourites who should be less certain of their places in the starting lineup than they are, the concept of giving youth a fair chance is nonexistent and the insistence of trying to hammer square pegs into round holes is just as baffling now as it was when Russy did it, but we have looked reasonably well organised as a team in recent matches.

Grimes and Fulton on 09:52 - Oct 3 with 1132 viewsDoubeDoube

"outstanding" are you for real?
Grimes and Fulton on 11:20 - Oct 3 with 1058 viewsunion_jack

Grimes and Fulton on 23:26 - Oct 2 by KeithHaynes

Although I couldn’t see the whole pitch after the og, I didn’t see Grimes do his bit as captain and reassure Tymon at all. He needn’t put his arm around him and hug him but a few words from our well respected, ever present captain and all round good example wouldn’t have gone amiss.

Are Sperm Whales the reason the sea is so salty?
Poll: Bony - Would You Want Him Back?

Grimes and Fulton on 11:23 - Oct 3 with 1055 viewslifelong

We can blame Grimes and the manager for last nights defeat until the cows come home, the 2 main reasons we got nothing out of the game were a players inability to control a ball in acres of space in the opposition box and side foot it into a gaping net, also a player unable to head a ball from an excellent cross again on the edge of the opposition box.
As far as Grimes is concerned he has misplaced a few passes in the last 2 games, which is unusual.
I enjoyed the game and was encouraged by the performance.
Grimes and Fulton on 11:30 - Oct 3 with 1041 viewsunion_jack

Grimes and Fulton on 11:23 - Oct 3 by lifelong

We can blame Grimes and the manager for last nights defeat until the cows come home, the 2 main reasons we got nothing out of the game were a players inability to control a ball in acres of space in the opposition box and side foot it into a gaping net, also a player unable to head a ball from an excellent cross again on the edge of the opposition box.
As far as Grimes is concerned he has misplaced a few passes in the last 2 games, which is unusual.
I enjoyed the game and was encouraged by the performance.

There were positives without doubt but we know there are issues and that includes Grimes usually and LW’s lack of tactical ability.

Are Sperm Whales the reason the sea is so salty?
Poll: Bony - Would You Want Him Back?

Grimes and Fulton on 11:51 - Oct 3 with 1007 viewsDr_Winston

Grimes and Fulton on 11:30 - Oct 3 by union_jack

There were positives without doubt but we know there are issues and that includes Grimes usually and LW’s lack of tactical ability.

The most pleasing aspect is that we have tightened up defensively since he took over, albeit with quite a few assists from LV at the moment. The team presses quite well, and there are finally some signs of a style beginning to appear.

On the downside, the nonsensical and completely unnecessary playing players in the wrong positions has to stop. As do the frequently absurd substitutions, and the continued emphasis on ball retention over chance creation that you can see in the sheer volume of times that we end up with the ball in a dangerous area and seconds later find ourselves back on the halfway line. That can be coached out of players. It isn't being.
[Post edited 3 Oct 11:58]

Grimes and Fulton on 12:26 - Oct 3 with 963 viewsonehunglow

Grimes and Fulton on 11:30 - Oct 3 by union_jack

Positives !
That word again
I view it as is being conditioned ,over recent years,to accept failure and defeat. Our expectations have been lowered in quite sinister fashion .
It actually sees some fans being “ happy” with a 1-0 defeat. That is because they were expecting a bigger defeat . A DEFEAT.. I believe Williams has this mindset and this permeates throughout the team.
It’s not all his fault as he shouldn’t have been appointed in the first place

No fan can “ enjoy” a defeat,at least not on my book.

Grimes and Fulton on 12:39 - Oct 3 with 942 viewslifelong

Grimes and Fulton on 12:26 - Oct 3 by onehunglow

Positives !
That word again
I view it as is being conditioned ,over recent years,to accept failure and defeat. Our expectations have been lowered in quite sinister fashion .
It actually sees some fans being “ happy” with a 1-0 defeat. That is because they were expecting a bigger defeat . A DEFEAT.. I believe Williams has this mindset and this permeates throughout the team.
It’s not all his fault as he shouldn’t have been appointed in the first place

No fan can “ enjoy” a defeat,at least not on my book.

A defeat permeates throughout the team.. utter bilge.
Grimes and Fulton on 12:46 - Oct 3 with 934 viewsonehunglow

Grimes and Fulton on 12:39 - Oct 3 by lifelong

A defeat permeates throughout the team.. utter bilge.

Read what I stated again

Grimes and Fulton on 13:17 - Oct 3 with 881 viewsRichardO

Grimes and Fulton on 11:51 - Oct 3 by Dr_Winston

The most pleasing aspect is that we have tightened up defensively since he took over, albeit with quite a few assists from LV at the moment. The team presses quite well, and there are finally some signs of a style beginning to appear.

On the downside, the nonsensical and completely unnecessary playing players in the wrong positions has to stop. As do the frequently absurd substitutions, and the continued emphasis on ball retention over chance creation that you can see in the sheer volume of times that we end up with the ball in a dangerous area and seconds later find ourselves back on the halfway line. That can be coached out of players. It isn't being.
[Post edited 3 Oct 11:58]

We are complaining about our lack of centre forward and left wing we had ample opportunities to get the ball in the box but didn't, we gain territory high up the park with corners and throw ins we put corner into the box to try and create chances but virtuay never trust our forward by playing a throw in into the box or quickly, be it to feet or in the air, we let teams get into defensive shape as we make sure of possession which ends up going backwards which is exactly what the opposition wants, playing into their hands.
Any striker who is only getting one chance in a game would struggle even the best, even good strikers only take a percentage of their chances, the better ones take a higher percentage I would expect Strikers to be given at least four good chances a game and yet we can only muster very few. Most would say we deserved more out of the game but if we are not creating chances then we do not. We have the ability within the team but our tactics while may stifle the opposition they are also stifling our attacks.
Ronald tracked back with the ball ending with Vigourou, Ronald peeled off to recieve the ball while opposition players were out of position but Vigouroux refused to return the ball to Ronald killing any forward play stone cold, we see it all over the pitch which creates no forward momentum at all.
Grimes and Fulton on 13:48 - Oct 3 with 816 viewsonehunglow

Grimes and Fulton on 13:17 - Oct 3 by RichardO

We are complaining about our lack of centre forward and left wing we had ample opportunities to get the ball in the box but didn't, we gain territory high up the park with corners and throw ins we put corner into the box to try and create chances but virtuay never trust our forward by playing a throw in into the box or quickly, be it to feet or in the air, we let teams get into defensive shape as we make sure of possession which ends up going backwards which is exactly what the opposition wants, playing into their hands.
Any striker who is only getting one chance in a game would struggle even the best, even good strikers only take a percentage of their chances, the better ones take a higher percentage I would expect Strikers to be given at least four good chances a game and yet we can only muster very few. Most would say we deserved more out of the game but if we are not creating chances then we do not. We have the ability within the team but our tactics while may stifle the opposition they are also stifling our attacks.
Ronald tracked back with the ball ending with Vigourou, Ronald peeled off to recieve the ball while opposition players were out of position but Vigouroux refused to return the ball to Ronald killing any forward play stone cold, we see it all over the pitch which creates no forward momentum at all.

= coaching

Tactics

Grimes and Fulton on 16:43 - Oct 3 with 690 viewsSullutaCreturned

Grimes and Fulton on 08:09 - Oct 3 by Dr_Winston

It really is a case of total ignorance on my part because I just do not understand our apparent desire to not get into the box, not to shoot often, not even when it's a decent opportunity nor the managers apparent desire to keep using players out of position. All that on top of the modern obsession with possession that has made football so slow and boring.

There's more entertainment watching my sons U16's team.
Grimes and Fulton on 17:40 - Oct 3 with 635 viewsDr_Winston

Grimes and Fulton on 16:43 - Oct 3 by SullutaCreturned

It really is a case of total ignorance on my part because I just do not understand our apparent desire to not get into the box, not to shoot often, not even when it's a decent opportunity nor the managers apparent desire to keep using players out of position. All that on top of the modern obsession with possession that has made football so slow and boring.

There's more entertainment watching my sons U16's team.

*Cue "Old man yells at cloud" type rant*

If terraces still existed and I could stand next to my mates without worrying about keeping a seat I'd have probably ditched my ST at some point during the Martin era and started picking and choosing matches. Watching games these days is a chore more often than not, and the maddest part of it is that the younger fans, the ones who should be demanding entertainment, are lapping it up.

They're all over the place with their heat maps and their possession stats and their passing charts all trying to out nerd each other with their analysis. Hardly any of them know how to just watch games these days. Ask them why a manager is quality, why a performance was impressive or why a player is good and not many of them can point to passages of play, or tactical choices, or moments in a game. They sure as hell can throw the numbers at you though.

I'm not pining for the days of 4-4-2 and knocking it long, but there has to be a better way of playing the game than we have since 2019.

Grimes and Fulton on 17:57 - Oct 3 with 626 viewsKeithHaynes

Grimes and Fulton on 17:40 - Oct 3 by Dr_Winston

*Cue "Old man yells at cloud" type rant*

If terraces still existed and I could stand next to my mates without worrying about keeping a seat I'd have probably ditched my ST at some point during the Martin era and started picking and choosing matches. Watching games these days is a chore more often than not, and the maddest part of it is that the younger fans, the ones who should be demanding entertainment, are lapping it up.

They're all over the place with their heat maps and their possession stats and their passing charts all trying to out nerd each other with their analysis. Hardly any of them know how to just watch games these days. Ask them why a manager is quality, why a performance was impressive or why a player is good and not many of them can point to passages of play, or tactical choices, or moments in a game. They sure as hell can throw the numbers at you though.

I'm not pining for the days of 4-4-2 and knocking it long, but there has to be a better way of playing the game than we have since 2019.

Most have never witnessed the vetch at full tilt, proper pitches with the usual irregularities. When we moved into the Liberty that was eighteen years ago, give or take. Even people born then or in the new century would not know anything other than this stadium. And most not until nine or ten years after its inception.

Social media has come about, the want it now mentality and of course conversing in a limited amount of words. I know a few coaches who don’t use heat maps or other than basic stats on individual performances.

Most have never seen Trundle in the flesh. And many follow the Swans, especially in east Wales since the EPL. They know success and want to support the team and manager, all we’ve had since relegation have been generally supported.

A great believer in taking anything you like to wherever you want to.
Blog: Do you want to start a career in journalism ?

Grimes and Fulton on 18:57 - Oct 3 with 587 viewsmax936

Grimes and Fulton on 11:20 - Oct 3 by union_jack

Although I couldn’t see the whole pitch after the og, I didn’t see Grimes do his bit as captain and reassure Tymon at all. He needn’t put his arm around him and hug him but a few words from our well respected, ever present captain and all round good example wouldn’t have gone amiss.

Williams did that job as they were coming off at H/T.

Poll: Will it Snow this coming Winter

Grimes and Fulton on 19:00 - Oct 3 with 582 viewsonehunglow

Grimes and Fulton on 17:57 - Oct 3 by KeithHaynes

Most have never witnessed the vetch at full tilt, proper pitches with the usual irregularities. When we moved into the Liberty that was eighteen years ago, give or take. Even people born then or in the new century would not know anything other than this stadium. And most not until nine or ten years after its inception.

Social media has come about, the want it now mentality and of course conversing in a limited amount of words. I know a few coaches who don’t use heat maps or other than basic stats on individual performances.

Most have never seen Trundle in the flesh. And many follow the Swans, especially in east Wales since the EPL. They know success and want to support the team and manager, all we’ve had since relegation have been generally supported.

In those days Keith,*Grimes would have been mullered
Not for nothing was Lee la a genuine legend
Pure entertainment and he had balls too.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024