Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Armstrong 22:57 - Jul 15 with 67087 viewsdigswellhoop

sorry if I'm late Armstrong is a talent sign him on a long contract he will be a great player for us if nurtured properly

This post has been edited by an administrator
Armstrong on 14:34 - Jul 18 with 3108 viewsChrisNW6

Armstrong on 13:45 - Jul 18 by BazzaInTheLoft

No one concerned that there is something in Armstrong they havn’t seen and he really pushes on and delivers for someone else?

I am going to miss the sheer terror he creates with his power, pace and a pretty decent shot. Don't currently believe he will turn into a £5m+ player and he walks for free next summer.

He was a bit of a luxury player and not really good enough to be number one in any position. Great if you are chasing a game but don't think he will be starting many games.
Armstrong on 14:34 - Jul 18 with 3103 viewsNorthernr

Armstrong on 13:45 - Jul 18 by BazzaInTheLoft

No one concerned that there is something in Armstrong they havn’t seen and he really pushes on and delivers for someone else?

Well I like him more than most, so yeh I am concerned about that, but his contract and his agent make it irrelevant. We've got to get what we can now.

The other two scenarios are...
1 - we make him stay, he has an absolutely unreal breakout season, and we lose him for free next summer and we're all gutted.
2 - we make him stay, he fails to develop any further, we're gutted next summer that we didn't take £2m for a poor player when we could have had it.

Also - selling him now means we can dictate a sell on clause. If he is gonna be good then you don't want him leaving at end of deal because we wouldn't be able to put one in.

Armstrong on 14:50 - Jul 18 with 2900 views222gers

It's said he scares defenders which may be true but there is rarely any end-product.
Who was it that said of his army “I don't know if they frighten the enemy but they scare the hell out of me”.
Armstrong on 14:56 - Jul 18 with 2831 viewscolinallcars

Armstrong on 14:50 - Jul 18 by 222gers

It's said he scares defenders which may be true but there is rarely any end-product.
Who was it that said of his army “I don't know if they frighten the enemy but they scare the hell out of me”.

Fred Karno ?
Armstrong on 14:58 - Jul 18 with 2812 viewsStainrod

Armstrong on 14:34 - Jul 18 by Northernr

Well I like him more than most, so yeh I am concerned about that, but his contract and his agent make it irrelevant. We've got to get what we can now.

1 - we make him stay, he has an absolutely unreal breakout season, and we lose him for free next summer and we're all gutted.
2 - we make him stay, he fails to develop any further, we're gutted next summer that we didn't take £2m for a poor player when we could have had it.

Also - selling him now means we can dictate a sell on clause. If he is gonna be good then you don't want him leaving at end of deal because we wouldn't be able to put one in.

Plus it would appear his departure allows us to buy Celar, a proven international striker coming into the peak years of his career.

In an ideal world we would rack and stack promising young strikers and send them out on loan with a view to breaking them into the first team a year or two later. But we are not in an ideal world and we have lacked even a decent first choice striker since Nakhi Wells years ago now - and he was on loan.

IF we land Celar surely that massively outweighs any feeling fans might have about losing Armstrong - even if he were not, as you rightly say, free to leave for nothing at the end of the season.

If these reported transfers and amounts are anywhere near correct I think fans should be celebrating and giving our CEO a huge amount of credit for running a brilliant transfer strategy: significantly improving the first team and all on apparently very minimal spend. Imagine Hoos and Ferdinand pulling any of this off!

We lose a player who scored 4 goals in 65 games for us and are reportedly replacing him with a striker who has scored 40 goals in 95 appearances for his last club. Genuinely baffled that anyone could not be delighted by that.
[Post edited 18 Jul 15:04]
Armstrong on 15:00 - Jul 18 with 2769 viewsNorthernr

Armstrong on 14:58 - Jul 18 by Stainrod

Plus it would appear his departure allows us to buy Celar, a proven international striker coming into the peak years of his career.

In an ideal world we would rack and stack promising young strikers and send them out on loan with a view to breaking them into the first team a year or two later. But we are not in an ideal world and we have lacked even a decent first choice striker since Nakhi Wells years ago now - and he was on loan.

IF we land Celar surely that massively outweighs any feeling fans might have about losing Armstrong - even if he were not, as you rightly say, free to leave for nothing at the end of the season.

If these reported transfers and amounts are anywhere near correct I think fans should be celebrating and giving our CEO a huge amount of credit for running a brilliant transfer strategy: significantly improving the first team and all on apparently very minimal spend. Imagine Hoos and Ferdinand pulling any of this off!

We lose a player who scored 4 goals in 65 games for us and are reportedly replacing him with a striker who has scored 40 goals in 95 appearances for his last club. Genuinely baffled that anyone could not be delighted by that.
[Post edited 18 Jul 15:04]

Yeh one deal offsets the other.
And you can expect something similar if we do sell Dykes.
It'll be like the Reading Walkabout for rest of the summer - one in one out.
Armstrong on 15:07 - Jul 18 with 2660 viewsMyke

All of this. If we were selling him for 250k I would be disgusted but North of 2m is the correct decision. It is exactly what we should have done with Manning and BOS and more recently, Willock even though the latter was complicated by two bad injury hit seasons.
This also proves that we have learned from allowing decent players to run their contracts down. Of course it is always easier to sell players that are not fans favourites. I wonder if we adopted the same stance with Dunne what would the reaction be?
Armstrong on 15:08 - Jul 18 with 2655 viewsStainrod

Armstrong on 15:00 - Jul 18 by Northernr

Yeh one deal offsets the other.
And you can expect something similar if we do sell Dykes.
It'll be like the Reading Walkabout for rest of the summer - one in one out.

Yes, don't want to tempt fate by being super greedy as would be delighted with Celar but IF we were able to off-load Dykes and bring in the striker who was on loan with Sheffield Wednesday, just imagine. We could even play with two strikers if Marti wanted!
Login to get fewer ads

Armstrong on 15:13 - Jul 18 with 2608 viewsNorthernr

Armstrong on 15:07 - Jul 18 by Myke

All of this. If we were selling him for 250k I would be disgusted but North of 2m is the correct decision. It is exactly what we should have done with Manning and BOS and more recently, Willock even though the latter was complicated by two bad injury hit seasons.
This also proves that we have learned from allowing decent players to run their contracts down. Of course it is always easier to sell players that are not fans favourites. I wonder if we adopted the same stance with Dunne what would the reaction be?

Nourry seems very proactive in avoiding another Willock situation, which anybody who's dealt with Willock's dad would be.

Makes the Paal and Dunne situations very interesting.
Armstrong (n/t) on 15:17 - Jul 18 with 2550 viewsted_hendrix

[Post edited 18 Jul 15:20]

My Father had a profound influence on me, he was a lunatic.

Armstrong on 15:24 - Jul 18 with 2475 viewsStainrod

Armstrong on 15:07 - Jul 18 by Myke

Our fanbase has its share of moaners but I believe most fans would conclude that after years of mismanagement we are finally being very well run, and that the recruitment team has earned the right to be trusted. Generally they seem able to replace with better. Would be very sad to lose Dunne - as much for his spirit as anything else - as think he embodied our "never say die" attitude from January. But with the exception of JCS and Chair - and to a lesser extent Cook and Field - I would be confident now that we could secure decent replacements. Which itself sends a message to players that they can't hold us to ransom. I like Paal but if someone offers a big fee for him, lets be pragmatic - personally I'd be excited to see who they would bring in as a replacement.
Armstrong on 15:25 - Jul 18 with 2469 viewskensalriser

Outstanding deal if true, not sure how much I believe the figure and will we ever actually know?

As Norf said, it doesn't really make any difference if he does turn out to be a top striker because it's time to cash in when they don't want to re-sign. We probably could have achieved more for Willock this time last year, was it worth it for his last season input?

Poll: QPR to finish 7th or Brentford to drop out of the top 6?

Armstrong on 15:31 - Jul 18 with 2404 viewsMarylandR

Sounds like Shamrock Rovers will get 25% if it goes through...

https://m.independent.ie/sport/soccer/champions-league/financial-picture-dramati
Armstrong on 15:37 - Jul 18 with 2339 viewsPlanetHonneywood

Armstrong on 15:25 - Jul 18 by kensalriser

Outstanding deal if true, not sure how much I believe the figure and will we ever actually know?

As Norf said, it doesn't really make any difference if he does turn out to be a top striker because it's time to cash in when they don't want to re-sign. We probably could have achieved more for Willock this time last year, was it worth it for his last season input?

Well, that depends on whether you've got serious interest from a club or clubs, that can meet the demands of both us as a selling club and the player.

But if the player isn't tempted and/or decides to wait it out a year to reap the benefits of being a free agent, not much you can do about it beyond sucking it up.

'Always In Motion' by John Honney available on amazon.co.uk
Poll: Who should do the Birmingham Frederick?

Armstrong on 15:42 - Jul 18 with 2308 viewsLoft1979

Armstrong on 14:31 - Jul 18 by WadR

Interested by the comparison to Semenyo from a Bristol City perspective. I think Semenyo is far more analogous to Osayi-Samuel in that they were pacey and technically decent but with a few rough edges.

Armstrong technical base level is a mile behind what Semenyo/Osayi-Samuel's was at the same age, imo. Maybe everything clicks for Sincs, think were indications of coaching working last season, with timing of his runs, control of his emotions and his back to goal play and he is still effective at Championship level - but I really don't see a world where he becomes a £10-20m player.

Looking at the comments from the article that likens Sinclair to Semenyo are interesting. I do like Sinclair but I see that eerie comparison to BOS too. BOS has really made something for himself and this is a good place to note he too has a sell on clause and has been mooted for a move.

Still I hope we can pull another raw Sinclair/BOS talent out of the hat... one with more goal scoring acumen.

On Armstrong: In my view he was seen as a better fit for Ainsworth's style chasing long balls. He is less of a fit for Marti's possession style. If bristol think there is a winger in there then hopefully they can polish him up. Would be nice if Wells came the other way.
[Post edited 18 Jul 17:53]
Armstrong on 15:55 - Jul 18 with 2189 viewsconnell10

Well he was in one of the training ground pics. Posted today .

AND WHEN I DREAM , I DREAM ABOUT YOU AND WHEN I SCREAM I SCREAM ABOUT YOU!!!!!
Poll: best number 10 ever?

Armstrong on 15:56 - Jul 18 with 2177 viewsBazzaInTheLoft

I get that, and personally I’d take the money, I’m just a bit mystified by the absolutism of this being an extraordinary deal.
Armstrong on 15:58 - Jul 18 with 2142 viewsrobith

Armstrong on 15:56 - Jul 18 by BazzaInTheLoft

I get that, and personally I’d take the money, I’m just a bit mystified by the absolutism of this being an extraordinary deal.

I guess it's because it is an absolute situation - he won't stay, so it's this or nothing, and since the this seems to be more than his currently worth and what it allows us to do, it seems good business
Armstrong on 16:05 - Jul 18 with 2044 viewsconnell10

Armstrong on 15:58 - Jul 18 by robith

I guess it's because it is an absolute situation - he won't stay, so it's this or nothing, and since the this seems to be more than his currently worth and what it allows us to do, it seems good business

I wonder what sort of deal we offered him. We definitely will never know that.

AND WHEN I DREAM , I DREAM ABOUT YOU AND WHEN I SCREAM I SCREAM ABOUT YOU!!!!!
Poll: best number 10 ever?

Armstrong on 16:09 - Jul 18 with 1994 viewskensalriser

Armstrong on 16:05 - Jul 18 by connell10

I wonder what sort of deal we offered him. We definitely will never know that.

I reckon we offered him a pay per goal deal.
[Post edited 18 Jul 18:35]

Poll: QPR to finish 7th or Brentford to drop out of the top 6?

Armstrong on 16:09 - Jul 18 with 1996 viewsTheChef

And if we sell him for 250K?

I can live with that too.

Poll: How old is everyone on here?

Armstrong on 16:38 - Jul 18 with 1844 viewsBazzaInTheLoft

Armstrong on 15:58 - Jul 18 by robith

Yeah it’s the ‘more than his current worth’ I mean really. Some people are very certain he’s a terrible player. Me less so.

I accept the unavoidable economic conditions of the sale but I’ll be disappointed (for us not him) if he goes on to have a huge transfer in the future.

That’s football I guess!
Armstrong on 16:55 - Jul 18 with 1719 viewsrobith

Armstrong on 16:38 - Jul 18 by BazzaInTheLoft

Yeah it’s the ‘more than his current worth’ I mean really. Some people are very certain he’s a terrible player. Me less so.

I accept the unavoidable economic conditions of the sale but I’ll be disappointed (for us not him) if he goes on to have a huge transfer in the future.

That’s football I guess!

If we were paying £2m for Armstrong, I'd be very concerned we were wasting our money. That's the way I always look at transfers
Armstrong on 16:58 - Jul 18 with 1680 viewspaulparker

Armstrong on 15:56 - Jul 18 by BazzaInTheLoft

Mark this one down for the annuals but I’m totally with you on this
I’m gutted he is going , this lad has potential, especially with the right coaching I can’t help but feel he is going to go into to better things and we will always think what might have been
Having been critical of Les in the past the likes of Armstrong, Smyth and Manning were real gems
The worrying thing is a lot of our players are happy to run down contracts here, it cannot be all bad agents

And Bowles is onside, Swinburne has come rushing out of his goal , what can Bowles do here , onto the left foot no, on to the right foot That’s there that’s two, and that’s Bowles Brian Moore

Armstrong on 17:11 - Jul 18 with 1601 viewsBazzaInTheLoft

Armstrong on 16:55 - Jul 18 by robith

If we were paying £2m for Armstrong, I'd be very concerned we were wasting our money. That's the way I always look at transfers

Good point.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024