Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Armstrong 22:57 - Jul 15 with 66587 viewsdigswellhoop

sorry if I'm late Armstrong is a talent sign him on a long contract he will be a great player for us if nurtured properly

This post has been edited by an administrator
Armstrong on 18:09 - Jul 17 with 4682 viewsWilkinswatercarrier

Armstrong on 17:27 - Jul 17 by bosh67

Peter was a 1 in 4 scorer as the stats tell us and in some seasons closer to 1 in 2. A really excellent player and much better with the ball at his feet than anyone realised at the time.

Great feet for a big lad
Armstrong on 19:05 - Jul 17 with 4297 viewsLogman

Armstrong on 18:09 - Jul 17 by Wilkinswatercarrier

Great feet for a big lad

Add in that crouch had to play with kiwomya up front and he almost saved us single handedly
Armstrong on 19:20 - Jul 17 with 4197 viewsParkRoyalR

Armstrong on 15:27 - Jul 17 by Northernr

'Occasionally' is doing some heavy lifting here.

Interesting that Harry Kane suddenly looked a leaden-footed championship level footballer playing in a team with 6 defenders, who committed no more than 3 other players to their attack, with only himself in the penalty area in a team with no natural width or ability to cut back a decent cross from the bye-line.........now where have I seen this set-up before.........
Armstrong on 19:26 - Jul 17 with 4164 viewsbaz_qpr

I've really enjoyed Armstrong, he gets you on the edge of the seat, but we have mishandled him in my view but I dont think we had much of a choice given the state of the club.

Having said that I dont think he is a striker and would have been better deployed as a wide forward, and I think in the right team with the right set up he could really do some damage, but the game is moving away from his style.

He has two major flaws IMHO. Stamina is the first so he can be seen often as an impact player, because he can't press and attack for 60-90 minutes, secondly his brain is just not as quick as his body. He is not a natural finisher, he does not possess the football nous or no how to make the right decsion. I think we all hoped that would come in time and maybe it will and guarenteed he will have at least one breakout season.

However if he won't sign the contract then we need to sell ensure a sell on clause is in play. I fear neither Bristol or Stoke are the right moves but lets see.
Armstrong on 19:27 - Jul 17 with 4146 viewsBazzaInTheLoft

Armstrong on 19:20 - Jul 17 by ParkRoyalR

Interesting that Harry Kane suddenly looked a leaden-footed championship level footballer playing in a team with 6 defenders, who committed no more than 3 other players to their attack, with only himself in the penalty area in a team with no natural width or ability to cut back a decent cross from the bye-line.........now where have I seen this set-up before.........

Is that Euro 2024 top scorer 3 in 7 Harry Kane?

3 in 7 in the Championship is 19 goals.
Armstrong on 19:45 - Jul 17 with 4010 viewsParkRoyalR

Armstrong on 19:27 - Jul 17 by BazzaInTheLoft

Is that Euro 2024 top scorer 3 in 7 Harry Kane?

3 in 7 in the Championship is 19 goals.

Not sure on your Maths there Bazza,

I'm a huge Kane fan but a penalty and two unmissable 6 yard tap-ins (one a deflection) glosses over a very poor tournament for Harry Kane,

Unlike the majority, I put that down to the Manager and his lack of an attacking game plan rather than Kane suddenly becoming a poor player overnight,

I'm yet to go all in on Cifuentes as similarly am yet to see a clear attacking game-plan, hoping that's down to pragmatism given the situation he found himself in.
Armstrong on 19:53 - Jul 17 with 3944 viewsBazzaInTheLoft

Armstrong on 19:45 - Jul 17 by ParkRoyalR

I'm a huge Kane fan but a penalty and two unmissable 6 yard tap-ins (one a deflection) glosses over a very poor tournament for Harry Kane,

Unlike the majority, I put that down to the Manager and his lack of an attacking game plan rather than Kane suddenly becoming a poor player overnight,

I'm yet to go all in on Cifuentes as similarly am yet to see a clear attacking game-plan, hoping that's down to pragmatism given the situation he found himself in.

You are right about my maths, it’s closer to 20.
Armstrong on 21:02 - Jul 17 with 3666 viewsNorthernr

I'm sure Marti's really grateful for that after keeping a team that won two of its first 16 games up with matches to spare.

It's getting towards show us your medals time - you are surely some high achieving footballing super coach somewhere? I'm genuinely intrigued.

Login to get fewer ads

Armstrong on 21:25 - Jul 17 with 3505 viewsnix

I think Leeds Utd might choose to differ.

One of Marti's strengths in my view is making sure that players seem to know what their roles are. If you mean we don't play in the same way every week I think that's a good thing. With Warburton despite his positive influence overall we did get found out after a while when we kept pretty much the same formation week after week.

If you mean that it's our midfield or defenders that tend to score rather than our strikers then I agree but I do think that was out of necessity rather than preference.
Armstrong on 21:28 - Jul 17 with 3474 viewsParkRoyalR

Armstrong on 21:02 - Jul 17 by Northernr

I'm sure Marti's really grateful for that after keeping a team that won two of its first 16 games up with matches to spare.

It's getting towards show us your medals time - you are surely some high achieving footballing super coach somewhere? I'm genuinely intrigued.

Similar to Cifuentes I never played professional football and neither of us have ever managed a professional team to league or cup success, so we have something in common,

I'd also add I've never been ovrly critical of or disrespectful to Cifuentes but I'm still reserving judgement on how good a coach he is and / or can be,

I think how you view Cifuentes is based on how you view our squad last season, particularly when key players regained fitness and after the transfer windows additions,

Many were of the view the squad were mostly wrong un's, had hung out too many good Managers and its was just a matter of re-arranging the deckchairs on the Titanic ahead of our inevitable relegation,

Others thought a semi decent Coach with a 4-2-3-1 formation to suit our best XI players should keep that team up which he did, a decent effort but for me not unexpected or outstanding.

Hopefully we sell Armstrong and Frey is transformed into looking like a professional footballer and they back Cifuentes's by buying another striker, then we can judge him.
Armstrong on 21:32 - Jul 17 with 3451 viewsNorthernr

Armstrong on 21:28 - Jul 17 by ParkRoyalR

Similar to Cifuentes I never played professional football and neither of us have ever managed a professional team to league or cup success, so we have something in common,

I'd also add I've never been ovrly critical of or disrespectful to Cifuentes but I'm still reserving judgement on how good a coach he is and / or can be,

I think how you view Cifuentes is based on how you view our squad last season, particularly when key players regained fitness and after the transfer windows additions,

Many were of the view the squad were mostly wrong un's, had hung out too many good Managers and its was just a matter of re-arranging the deckchairs on the Titanic ahead of our inevitable relegation,

Others thought a semi decent Coach with a 4-2-3-1 formation to suit our best XI players should keep that team up which he did, a decent effort but for me not unexpected or outstanding.

Hopefully we sell Armstrong and Frey is transformed into looking like a professional footballer and they back Cifuentes's by buying another striker, then we can judge him.

Six paragraphs, none of them venturing within 10,000 miles of answering my question.
Armstrong on 22:05 - Jul 17 with 3215 viewsParkRoyalR

Armstrong on 21:32 - Jul 17 by Northernr

Six paragraphs, none of them venturing within 10,000 miles of answering my question.

Referring to my very first paragraph...I've never won a professional league or cup...hence answering your question as to whether I'm a high achieving football super coach.

But to see we needed to bomb out Andre Dozzell, revert to a 4-2-3-1 and that Armstrong & Frey should have been nowhere near 1st team starters last season I'm not sure you need to be a card carrying UEFA super coach.
Armstrong on 22:20 - Jul 17 with 3107 viewsTK1

Armstrong on 22:05 - Jul 17 by ParkRoyalR

Referring to my very first paragraph...I've never won a professional league or cup...hence answering your question as to whether I'm a high achieving football super coach.

But to see we needed to bomb out Andre Dozzell, revert to a 4-2-3-1 and that Armstrong & Frey should have been nowhere near 1st team starters last season I'm not sure you need to be a card carrying UEFA super coach.

This is an incredible sentence:

"Similar to Cifuentes I never played professional football and neither of us have ever managed a professional team to league or cup success, so we have something in common..."

Cifuentes did win a promotion to the top flight in Norway, lost a cup final on penalties in Sweden, and qualified for the Europa League by coming third in the Swedish top flight. His win ratio as a professional manager is over 40%.

Same kind of thing with you, yeah?
Armstrong on 22:24 - Jul 17 with 3078 viewsPadulas_Shampoo

Isn’t humanity incredible?

Here’s an example of someone who watched QPR’s last season and has concluded that Dykes is worth defending but the jury is very much out on Marti Cifuentes.

It really does take all sorts.
Armstrong on 22:36 - Jul 17 with 2977 viewsStainrod

Some genuinely laugh out loud posts in this thread interspersed with some very sensible ones.

4m for Dykes not enough?

2.5m for Sinclair perfectly reasonable?

Marti a merely basic coach only achieving the minimum with the talent available?

Respect all opinions but think i’m going to take a lie down…
Armstrong on 22:36 - Jul 17 with 2973 viewsDavieQPR

Armstrong on 22:05 - Jul 17 by ParkRoyalR

But you wrote on 29th Jan ' I think most would agree Smythe, Armstrong or Willock are worthy of starting in the wide position'.So you were advocating for him to play. Maybe you do need to be a card carrying coach.
Armstrong on 22:37 - Jul 17 with 2971 viewsParkRoyalR

Armstrong on 22:20 - Jul 17 by TK1

"Similar to Cifuentes I never played professional football and neither of us have ever managed a professional team to league or cup success, so we have something in common..."

Cifuentes did win a promotion to the top flight in Norway, lost a cup final on penalties in Sweden, and qualified for the Europa League by coming third in the Swedish top flight. His win ratio as a professional manager is over 40%.

An incredible sentence, ffs, it's a joke, albeit you've confirmed it to be factually correct so surely the word you were looking for was credible rather than incredible.
Armstrong on 22:43 - Jul 17 with 2936 viewsParkRoyalR

Armstrong on 22:36 - Jul 17 by DavieQPR

But you wrote on 29th Jan ' I think most would agree Smythe, Armstrong or Willock are worthy of starting in the wide position'.So you were advocating for him to play. Maybe you do need to be a card carrying coach.

I think you've taken that post in January out of context as mentions playing Armstrong wide in a 3 and not like with Frey as a lone striker which was the case in the run in which would imo have seen us relegated, reckon you should find a few posts to confirm this point.
Armstrong on 22:46 - Jul 17 with 2905 viewsParkRoyalR

Armstrong on 22:36 - Jul 17 by Stainrod

Some genuinely laugh out loud posts in this thread interspersed with some very sensible ones.

4m for Dykes not enough?

2.5m for Sinclair perfectly reasonable?

Marti a merely basic coach only achieving the minimum with the talent available?

Respect all opinions but think i’m going to take a lie down…

Who referred to Marti as merely a basic Coach?
Armstrong on 23:18 - Jul 17 with 2790 viewsconnell10

I used to think Armstrong seemed like a good lad , but the more I think about this the more I think he is a bit of a wan ker, oh well .

AND WHEN I DREAM , I DREAM ABOUT YOU AND WHEN I SCREAM I SCREAM ABOUT YOU!!!!!
Poll: best number 10 ever?

Armstrong on 06:12 - Jul 18 with 2295 viewsGus_iom

Armstrong on 22:20 - Jul 17 by TK1

I once won a promotion on Manx Radio for a flight to Liverpool. I thought it was a top flight because I didn't have to pay for it.
Where do I apply?
Armstrong on 07:02 - Jul 18 with 2178 viewsGroveR

Armstrong on 13:18 - Jul 17 by BazzaInTheLoft

4) Ocean Billy’s Loftus Road Stadium

Fat-finger down vote. I love Ocean Billy and their signature dish, "When the Saveoly Gets Rough"
Armstrong on 07:42 - Jul 18 with 2013 viewsLandshark

Armstrong on 15:15 - Jul 17 by Myke

Armstrong has come through 'every youth rank' for RoI so of course there is a player there. It is far easier for a young player breaking through to get regular game time for a successful team than one fighting relegation. Yes there is pressure at both ends of the table, but it is a different kind of pressure. Pushing for promotion becomes incrementally more pressurised as the season progresses and by March iit really ramps up. We saw that with both Leicester and Leeds last season and God knows we have experienced it ourselves.
Relegation pressure is a completely different matter, especially when you immersed in it from August! It permeates the entire mood and atmosphere and poisons the very air around the club. There is a fear factor that managment try not to expose the players to as they know if the players play with fear they are doomed. This is especially true off untested players like Sinclair and good managers like Marti would try to protect them from that negativity, which only escalates the longer the battle goes on. Remember the mood in the ground (and I was only observing it on TV) before and during the Preston game - how could any young player play anything close to their ability amid such tension? Compare that to some of the raucous home games that Gray played in, why wouldn't you play better? But does that make you a better player all things being equal?
Another misnomer regarding Armstrong is the '3 goals in 61 games' being bandied about. Armstrong has not come even close to playing 60 odd games for us. He has made over 60 APPEARANCES which is a completely different thing. For any degree of accuracy as to how many games he's played you would have to add up his total number of minutes on the pitch and divide by 90. Even that would not paint the full picture, as coming on for the last 10 minutes of a game you are losing is a big challenge for any player. Clive often spoke - especially in relation to Eze, Chair and BOS - about the importance of clocking up 100 games, 150 games and so on in order for a player to incrementally improve. Armstrong has come nowhere near that on yet.
Don't get me wrong, if we get £2.5 m and no new contract in sight, then sell him of course. I would love to see how he would develop with one full year of Marti's coaching but that seems unlikely to happen. But let's not coat him off as 'no football in him' based on so little evidence.

Armstrong played a total of 1779 league minutes last season according to Transfermarkt.

I've taken out any appearances where he played less than 20 minutes as you said it's unfair to be judged on an appearance less than 10 minutes.

That leaves a total of 1677 minutes played last season. 27 times he played more than 20 minutes, at an average of 62 minutes per appearance amongst those 27 appearances.

He scored a total of 3 league goals last season or a goal every 559 minutes. 1 goal in every 6 games if we're dividing that number by 90.

1 goal in 13 based on appearances (39)
1 goal in 9 based on appearances over 20 minutes (27)
1 goal in 6 based of each 90 minutes played.

Whatever metric you look at he is not good enough for this league. If he ever becomes a 1 in 3 striker I will be very surprised. I'm happy to take whatever Bristol want to send us.
Armstrong on 07:48 - Jul 18 with 1979 viewsLandshark

And for Lyndon

He scored 6 league goals last season in 41 appearances.

1 goal in 6.8 based on appearances (41)
1 goal in 6.1 based on appearances over 20 minutes (37)
1 goal in 5 based of each 90 minutes played.
Armstrong on 08:16 - Jul 18 with 1854 viewsnix

Armstrong on 07:48 - Jul 18 by Landshark

And for Lyndon

He scored 6 league goals last season in 41 appearances.

1 goal in 6.8 based on appearances (41)
1 goal in 6.1 based on appearances over 20 minutes (37)
1 goal in 5 based of each 90 minutes played.

Not defending Lyndon's goalscoring record - even he would be a bit disappointed - but I do think he does bring more to the team than just goals - defending in the box for instance - that Sinclair doesn't do.

It's why several managers don't freeze him out.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024