Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Armstrong 22:57 - Jul 15 with 66588 viewsdigswellhoop

sorry if I'm late Armstrong is a talent sign him on a long contract he will be a great player for us if nurtured properly

This post has been edited by an administrator
Armstrong on 13:36 - Jul 17 with 4690 viewsqueensparker

There's not a chance in hell we're getting 2.5m for Armstrong, where's that number coming from?

If I had to guess I'd say 400k with sell-ons.
Armstrong on 13:44 - Jul 17 with 4578 viewsHoopsie

Isn’t 40 million reported for 18 yo Archie Gray of championship club Leeds by Spurs with “potential” being one of the valuation factor?

So 2.5 million for a 21 yo striker playing for a championship club and an u-21 national team with “potential to grow” doesn’t seem far fetch innit?

You may not agree but if it is true I wouldn’t argue too much, take the money and send the player by express post thank you very much

Poll: Isaac Hayden - Yes or No?

Armstrong on 13:58 - Jul 17 with 4393 viewsBenny_the_Ball

This is exactly the type of situation the club was previously criticised for mismanaging, with the likes of Willock, BOS, Manning, etc.

Given that Sinclair hasn't signed a new contract, it makes perfect sense for the club to trigger the 1-year extension and put him up for sale. Frankly, I'm surprised at the £2.5m figure being reported but if QPR can get anywhere near that it'll be very good business.
Armstrong on 14:04 - Jul 17 with 4321 viewsPdog

The sensible move would be to sign a longer deal with us, eat a spoon of humble pie and realise you're not as good as you think you are / not as bad as they say you are. Push for a season long loan to higher end league 1 club, get your head down & play consistently 30+ games (none of this bit-part 20 min cameo nonsense, teaches nothing).

If you back yourself you'll come back with 10+ goals, better developed with more experience and higher reputation, still 21. This moves just screams of fast cash inflated ego / poor guidance. If we get anything near £1m that's great.
Armstrong on 14:04 - Jul 17 with 4317 viewsLandshark

Armstrong on 13:44 - Jul 17 by Hoopsie

Isn’t 40 million reported for 18 yo Archie Gray of championship club Leeds by Spurs with “potential” being one of the valuation factor?

So 2.5 million for a 21 yo striker playing for a championship club and an u-21 national team with “potential to grow” doesn’t seem far fetch innit?

You may not agree but if it is true I wouldn’t argue too much, take the money and send the player by express post thank you very much

I think the issue is you can see potential in Gray, playing week in week out for a fairly successful Leeds team, coming through every youth rank for England, multiple Premier League teams taking an interest in him.

Sinclair on the other hand, there's not a player there. It's a massive gamble to spend any money on him.
Armstrong on 14:38 - Jul 17 with 4024 viewsEastR

Championship striker market context
Kiefer Moore (32) Bournemouth to Sheff Utd £2m

Poll: Is time up for Ainsworth?

Armstrong on 14:48 - Jul 17 with 3928 viewsnumptydumpty

Armstrong on 11:02 - Jul 17 by BazzaInTheLoft

AKA the Daniel Levy manoeuvre

I’ll be sad to see him go because it’s never a dull game with him involved but my willy twitched when I read £2.5m.
[Post edited 17 Jul 11:03]

You need get your willy fixed Bazza.

It's twitching at the wrong visuals.😆
[Post edited 17 Jul 14:52]

Walking in a "Mackie Wonderland"
Poll: Where will we finish next season ???

Armstrong on 14:55 - Jul 17 with 3839 viewsnumptydumpty

£2.5million

Yes please

The nous of Marti, the negotiation skills of Nourry aligned with our fitness and data stattos on the case. £2.5million could be enough to unearth a potential star man for us up front and with money to spare also, perhaps.

Great fee for Sinclair - I don't believe he is that level of potential anyhow

Walking in a "Mackie Wonderland"
Poll: Where will we finish next season ???

Login to get fewer ads

Armstrong on 14:57 - Jul 17 with 3810 viewsPlanetHonneywood

Armstrong on 14:04 - Jul 17 by Landshark

I think the issue is you can see potential in Gray, playing week in week out for a fairly successful Leeds team, coming through every youth rank for England, multiple Premier League teams taking an interest in him.

Sinclair on the other hand, there's not a player there. It's a massive gamble to spend any money on him.

Shhhh!!!

If anything, we should be on SCFC and BCFC's websites spitting feathers at this paltry amount we're about to be mugged for.

'Always In Motion' by John Honney available on amazon.co.uk
Poll: Who should do the Birmingham Frederick?

Armstrong on 14:59 - Jul 17 with 3773 viewsderbyhoop

Armstrong on 14:38 - Jul 17 by EastR

Championship striker market context
Kiefer Moore (32) Bournemouth to Sheff Utd £2m

Going rate?
32 yo with no residual value £2m
21 yo with huge potential upside - £2.5m?

Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the Earth all one’s lifetime. (Mark Twain) Find me on twitter @derbyhoop

Armstrong on 15:04 - Jul 17 with 3714 viewsqprninja

Likeable guy, but he's a long way off becoming a regular goal scorer at this level. His agent clearly wants a move and more money. Good luck to him. To be honest I genuinely think if you stuck two traffic cones up front every match rather than Dykes or Armstrong, they'd score more over the course of the season, so surely any replacements we get in can't be any worse.
Armstrong on 15:15 - Jul 17 with 3588 viewsMyke

Armstrong on 14:04 - Jul 17 by Landshark

Armstrong has come through 'every youth rank' for RoI so of course there is a player there. It is far easier for a young player breaking through to get regular game time for a successful team than one fighting relegation. Yes there is pressure at both ends of the table, but it is a different kind of pressure. Pushing for promotion becomes incrementally more pressurised as the season progresses and by March iit really ramps up. We saw that with both Leicester and Leeds last season and God knows we have experienced it ourselves.
Relegation pressure is a completely different matter, especially when you immersed in it from August! It permeates the entire mood and atmosphere and poisons the very air around the club. There is a fear factor that managment try not to expose the players to as they know if the players play with fear they are doomed. This is especially true off untested players like Sinclair and good managers like Marti would try to protect them from that negativity, which only escalates the longer the battle goes on. Remember the mood in the ground (and I was only observing it on TV) before and during the Preston game - how could any young player play anything close to their ability amid such tension? Compare that to some of the raucous home games that Gray played in, why wouldn't you play better? But does that make you a better player all things being equal?
Another misnomer regarding Armstrong is the '3 goals in 61 games' being bandied about. Armstrong has not come even close to playing 60 odd games for us. He has made over 60 APPEARANCES which is a completely different thing. For any degree of accuracy as to how many games he's played you would have to add up his total number of minutes on the pitch and divide by 90. Even that would not paint the full picture, as coming on for the last 10 minutes of a game you are losing is a big challenge for any player. Clive often spoke - especially in relation to Eze, Chair and BOS - about the importance of clocking up 100 games, 150 games and so on in order for a player to incrementally improve. Armstrong has come nowhere near that on yet.
Don't get me wrong, if we get £2.5 m and no new contract in sight, then sell him of course. I would love to see how he would develop with one full year of Marti's coaching but that seems unlikely to happen. But let's not coat him off as 'no football in him' based on so little evidence.
Armstrong on 15:22 - Jul 17 with 3529 viewsbosh67

Armstrong on 15:15 - Jul 17 by Myke

Armstrong has come through 'every youth rank' for RoI so of course there is a player there. It is far easier for a young player breaking through to get regular game time for a successful team than one fighting relegation. Yes there is pressure at both ends of the table, but it is a different kind of pressure. Pushing for promotion becomes incrementally more pressurised as the season progresses and by March iit really ramps up. We saw that with both Leicester and Leeds last season and God knows we have experienced it ourselves.
Relegation pressure is a completely different matter, especially when you immersed in it from August! It permeates the entire mood and atmosphere and poisons the very air around the club. There is a fear factor that managment try not to expose the players to as they know if the players play with fear they are doomed. This is especially true off untested players like Sinclair and good managers like Marti would try to protect them from that negativity, which only escalates the longer the battle goes on. Remember the mood in the ground (and I was only observing it on TV) before and during the Preston game - how could any young player play anything close to their ability amid such tension? Compare that to some of the raucous home games that Gray played in, why wouldn't you play better? But does that make you a better player all things being equal?
Another misnomer regarding Armstrong is the '3 goals in 61 games' being bandied about. Armstrong has not come even close to playing 60 odd games for us. He has made over 60 APPEARANCES which is a completely different thing. For any degree of accuracy as to how many games he's played you would have to add up his total number of minutes on the pitch and divide by 90. Even that would not paint the full picture, as coming on for the last 10 minutes of a game you are losing is a big challenge for any player. Clive often spoke - especially in relation to Eze, Chair and BOS - about the importance of clocking up 100 games, 150 games and so on in order for a player to incrementally improve. Armstrong has come nowhere near that on yet.
Don't get me wrong, if we get £2.5 m and no new contract in sight, then sell him of course. I would love to see how he would develop with one full year of Marti's coaching but that seems unlikely to happen. But let's not coat him off as 'no football in him' based on so little evidence.

If it is £2.5m (£1,875,000 after Shamrock's bit) goes some way to finding a young up and coming European striker perhaps. Add a sell on clause to Armstrong and it's double bubble.

Mind you if Armstrong is £2.5m why on earth would we sell Dykes for any less than £4m given that although Dykes flatters to deceive, he is a full international and he can occasionally score goals.

Never knowingly right.
Poll: How long before new signings become quivering wrecks of the players they were?

Armstrong on 15:27 - Jul 17 with 3475 viewsNorthernr

Armstrong on 15:22 - Jul 17 by bosh67

If it is £2.5m (£1,875,000 after Shamrock's bit) goes some way to finding a young up and coming European striker perhaps. Add a sell on clause to Armstrong and it's double bubble.

Mind you if Armstrong is £2.5m why on earth would we sell Dykes for any less than £4m given that although Dykes flatters to deceive, he is a full international and he can occasionally score goals.

'Occasionally' is doing some heavy lifting here.
Armstrong on 15:33 - Jul 17 with 3411 viewsqprninja

Armstrong on 15:22 - Jul 17 by bosh67

£2.5M for Dykes would also be amazing business. He is VERY limited.
Armstrong on 15:40 - Jul 17 with 3325 viewsrobith

If we get £2.5m for Armstrong the club should spend it on lottery tickets cos our luck is clearly in.

Be astonished if it was anywhere near even half that
Armstrong on 15:43 - Jul 17 with 3299 viewsrbee

Armstrong on 09:42 - Jul 17 by tkqpr

https://m.independent.ie/sport/soccer/champions-league/financial-picture-dramati

First time I’ve seen a fee reported, I’d be okay with that £2.5m!!

I reported it a couple of days ago, lol. I knew I had read it somewhere.
Armstrong on 15:48 - Jul 17 with 3243 viewsPdog

Armstrong on 15:40 - Jul 17 by robith

If we get £2.5m for Armstrong the club should spend it on lottery tickets cos our luck is clearly in.

Be astonished if it was anywhere near even half that

I was thinking to myself the other day, hypothetically speaking if we got £2.5m for both Sinclair and Dykes combined that would be a decent deal considering the circumstances / expected goal return etc.

To get £2.5m for just one of them is like ‘f**k this I’m done here one-way ticket to Rio lads lads lads’ type of thing! No, but seriously, how much are tickets to Rio..
Armstrong on 16:11 - Jul 17 with 3078 viewskensalriser

Armstrong on 15:15 - Jul 17 by Myke

Remember the 2000-01 season?

We were crap and deservedly went down. One of the few players to emerge with any credit was Peter Crouch, who we'd just signed from Spurs for 60k aged 19. In his first season at professional level he made 47 appearances and scored 12 goals. Everyone agreed he looked the real deal and he duly went to Portsmouth for 1.5m

Armstrong is older than Crouch was during that season and in similar circumstances failed to make any impact. He's nowhere near Crouch's level then (never mind later) and most likely never will be.

2.5m is pure fantasy, if we get that Nourry is a genius.

Poll: QPR to finish 7th or Brentford to drop out of the top 6?

Armstrong on 16:16 - Jul 17 with 3039 viewsPhilothesuperhoop

If there is any truth in these figures that are being mentioned then the young guy we have in charge is a genius!

Why on earth is anyone bothered about any of our strike force (other than Kholli who has promise and has yet to fail) - if the CEO is genuinely bringing many million through the door whilst clearing the decks allowing us to buy some proper strikers then let’s put the flags out and have a street party.

Some wildly good business.

I am fully signed up to this revolution!
Armstrong on 16:17 - Jul 17 with 3027 viewsBluce_Ree

You can't compare anyone to Crouch. He's the most underrated footballer in all of history.

Stefan Moore, Stefan Moore running down the wing. Stefan Moore, Stefan Moore running down the wing. He runs like a cheetah, his crosses couldn't be sweeter. Stefan Moore. Stefan Moore. Stefan Moore.

Armstrong on 16:19 - Jul 17 with 3006 viewsDavieQPR

If it is anywhere near £2.5m then it's going to include more add ons than Carol Vorderman.
Armstrong on 16:32 - Jul 17 with 2889 viewsted_hendrix

He'll keep straying offside during the medical.

My Father had a profound influence on me, he was a lunatic.

Armstrong on 17:00 - Jul 17 with 2663 viewsGloucs_R

Armstrong on 16:32 - Jul 17 by ted_hendrix

He'll keep straying offside during the medical.

Punch the medical badge several times......

Poll: Are we staying up?

Armstrong on 17:27 - Jul 17 with 2492 viewsbosh67

Armstrong on 16:17 - Jul 17 by Bluce_Ree

You can't compare anyone to Crouch. He's the most underrated footballer in all of history.

Peter was a 1 in 4 scorer as the stats tell us and in some seasons closer to 1 in 2. A really excellent player and much better with the ball at his feet than anyone realised at the time.

Never knowingly right.
Poll: How long before new signings become quivering wrecks of the players they were?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024