Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Armstrong 22:57 - Jul 15 with 67095 viewsdigswellhoop

sorry if I'm late Armstrong is a talent sign him on a long contract he will be a great player for us if nurtured properly

This post has been edited by an administrator
Armstrong on 20:32 - Jul 19 with 3582 viewsWilkinswatercarrier

Armstrong on 19:17 - Jul 19 by joe90

While I wish him well and believe he has a bright future ahead of him, it is important that we do our best to protect the economic interests of the football club.

Nourry sentimental as ever.

Brilliant. The club is the first, second and third most important thing.
Armstrong on 20:53 - Jul 19 with 3466 viewsGus_iom

Armstrong on 18:41 - Jul 19 by Konk

Looked at from an outsider's viewpoint, you could argue that City have a much bigger, more impressive ground, an impressive training ground, bigger crowds, and have had several young players come through their academy and go on to play in the Premier League in recent years. He also knows O'Leary, Knight, and Sykes from the RoI squads. He'll pocket a nice signing-on fee and a bump in pay too. Plus Bristol's a nice part of the world. I don't think it's a completely weird move.

City are in the same situation with Tommy Conway, who has a year left on his contract, and who's been at City since he was nine. Club offered him a reportedly hefty pay rise, and it was rejected without any attempts at negotiating. He's now training with the U-21's as Manning doesn't want distractions and Conway has made it clear he wants to go.

Figure being reported locally by journo and fans who are usually itk is £1.25m + £1m in add-ons. Not sure how they convinced him to go along with this effort:

[Post edited 19 Jul 18:50]

This is what happens. Your true love is far away, the bit round the corner is happy to have you if you want, you think you can just take it or leave it....then you develop feelings....
Konk, Konk, Konk..what have you done?
Armstrong on 21:09 - Jul 19 with 3380 viewsSpaceman_P

Watch him get a hat-trick at the loft end now.
Armstrong on 21:15 - Jul 19 with 3339 viewsBazzaInTheLoft

If they can teach him to finish they‘ll have the best striker in the division in my opinion but who can turn down a potential £3.5m in our situation.

As Konk says, if was a developing player in the Championship, Bristol is where I’d go too.
Armstrong on 21:35 - Jul 19 with 3194 viewsPunteR

All done then. Laters Armstrong, all the best lad.

Occasional providers of half decent House music.

Armstrong on 21:40 - Jul 19 with 3160 viewsgazza1

Anything nearing 1 million is good business……he has so many limitations and I would be shocked if he playing skills can improve.
Armstrong on 21:49 - Jul 19 with 3112 viewsNed_Kennedys

Armstrong on 21:40 - Jul 19 by gazza1

Anything nearing 1 million is good business……he has so many limitations and I would be shocked if he playing skills can improve.

You can’t teach finishing.
Armstrong is a Poundland Adama Traore who has been coached at the highest level and has managed 17 goals in 9 Premier League seasons.
Armstrong on 21:50 - Jul 19 with 3107 viewsHoopsie

Armstrong on 21:15 - Jul 19 by BazzaInTheLoft

If they can teach him to finish they‘ll have the best striker in the division in my opinion but who can turn down a potential £3.5m in our situation.

As Konk says, if was a developing player in the Championship, Bristol is where I’d go too.

Is there a reason why a “developing player club” like Bristol City never get into the EPL promise land?

Armstrong as he is would never get into Leicester, Ipswich or Southampton promotion squads last season or would be just a bit part role from the bench. There is a reason why Bristol City are known as what they are and stay where they are in the championship

The deal is fantastic for QPR

Mismanaged or not, we couldn’t send him on loan to L1 or L2 last season as the first team needs the utmost priority

Who could tell even if we did would he flourish?

So if Bristol City got him to improve would they send him instantly to the lower leagues to improve and gain experience? Doubt so, as Bristol is a “developing club” and you don’t develop players yourself by sending them away to improve.

However you look at it, it is a win win situation for both our club and Armstrong

If he became the player we thought he would be at City and get a 50 million move to the EPL, we will have our sweet 25% selling on

If he just went into the sunset, well, we wouldn’t get our add-ons but we have had our sweet and ate it so all good

If he became a “Manning” or a “BOS” who like his last year at QPR refusing a renewal, we wouldn’t get the sell on but neither would Bristol and they get another “Conway” in their hands that might go for free

Long story short - excellent business by QPR and well done the player too

Poll: Isaac Hayden - Yes or No?

Login to get fewer ads

Armstrong on 21:54 - Jul 19 with 3088 viewsed_83

Whether he turns out to be the next Sir Les or not, if he wasn't going to sign another contract then the only thing the club could do was get as much money for him as possible. If it's anything like the figures being bandied about, then Nourry and co have done seriously well.

Sinclair's been fun to watch, always done his best for the club, and maybe he'll turn into a spectacular player. I'll be wishing him well, hope he kicks on at Bristol and nets us a hefty sell-on fee. But the club have done exactly the right thing here.
Armstrong on 23:36 - Jul 19 with 2848 viewslave16

Armstrong on 21:54 - Jul 19 by ed_83

Whether he turns out to be the next Sir Les or not, if he wasn't going to sign another contract then the only thing the club could do was get as much money for him as possible. If it's anything like the figures being bandied about, then Nourry and co have done seriously well.

Sinclair's been fun to watch, always done his best for the club, and maybe he'll turn into a spectacular player. I'll be wishing him well, hope he kicks on at Bristol and nets us a hefty sell-on fee. But the club have done exactly the right thing here.

Club done well but I'm gutted

Poll: Are we gonna make the play offs?

Armstrong on 00:40 - Jul 20 with 2748 viewsStreathamRanger

I've not seen much to convince me there's a footballer there. Flatters to deceive most of the time. Wonderful bit of business by the club if you ask me. Hopefully we've signed a replacement who might actually score a few goals.
Armstrong on 01:30 - Jul 20 with 2687 viewsCLAREMAN1995

Armstrong on 00:40 - Jul 20 by StreathamRanger

I've not seen much to convince me there's a footballer there. Flatters to deceive most of the time. Wonderful bit of business by the club if you ask me. Hopefully we've signed a replacement who might actually score a few goals.

I think he can develop into an excellent player myself being born with pace and power just so raw and reckless right now.
Can anybody explain what Bristol City saw in him that Marti and his coaches did not because I would like to know.I felt he would thrive under Marti but he must have been unable to get the system or way of playing or just wanted out which is a real pity IMO.
Still good luck to him I am sure our boys will enjoy getting under his skin when we meet BC
Armstrong on 01:55 - Jul 20 with 2646 viewsHoopsie

I think Marti sees, like we do, young, pace, raw strength, power, athleticism, emotive enthusiasm, monster of a threat to defence

But to coach him in offside runs, shooting at goal, tactical play, goal instincts, big match temperament is not going to be a season or two thing. It comes with intense coaching, willingness to learn and experience

Which upon his departure there isn’t time for that, and that refusing to sign an extension or renew with a year left on his current contract make all what Marti sees in him completely moot and redundant

Sad to see him leaving if only because he is a young player we could develop

And this is exactly the situation before where club tried to keep players up to a point they ran down their contracts and club got nothing and fans got incensed

No longer

Well done my club

Poll: Isaac Hayden - Yes or No?

Armstrong on 02:28 - Jul 20 with 2607 viewsqueensparker

Let’s all take a moment to give thanks to the people that brought Sinclair Armstrong to the club in the first place.

Presumably Evil Les and Ramsey can be proud of this bit of recruitment. First cheap gem > million pound transfer I can remember in years (Eze as always doesn’t count for being too good)
Armstrong on 02:44 - Jul 20 with 2598 viewsSydneyRs

Armstrong on 21:15 - Jul 19 by BazzaInTheLoft

If they could teach me or anyone else to finish we'd be decent strikers too. Its a big if for me.

Finishing is down to being clear, calm and cool headed and he's shown no sign of that. Is it suddenly going to appear? I'm not so sure, I think its an innate thing in most good strikers and you've either got it or you haven't.

If he wasn't so quick nobody would be interested in him.

That said, if he does do well enough to step up from BC (let's face it, they won't get more than one good year out of him if he does make it), he could end up being worth around 10 million to us. If he doesn't then we've just got a very good deal.
[Post edited 20 Jul 2:48]
Armstrong on 04:26 - Jul 20 with 2544 viewsderbyhoop

Sincs brought pace and power but not much else. No left foot, can't head, poor touch and control.

If the figures bandied about are accurate, we've got the better part of the deal. Especially when you consider the contract situation. A decent sell on % may prove lucrative in the future. A good deal for QPR, a gamble by Bristol C.

Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the Earth all one’s lifetime. (Mark Twain) Find me on twitter @derbyhoop

Armstrong on 06:39 - Jul 20 with 2366 viewsParkRoyalR

Armstrong on 21:40 - Jul 19 by gazza1

We're agreeing again Gazza,

Some of the posts about his raw pace & power seem to forget about the round thing that's a fairly fundamental part of football,

You have to be able to control it, ideally use both feet to run with it and if you haven't got the technical ability to beat a player you need to be able to hold it up and play your 10s into goal scoring positions,

Thus far, haven't seen consistent evidence that Armstrong can do any of the above at this level.
Armstrong on 12:27 - Jul 20 with 1963 viewslave16

Armstrong on 06:39 - Jul 20 by ParkRoyalR

We're agreeing again Gazza,

Some of the posts about his raw pace & power seem to forget about the round thing that's a fairly fundamental part of football,

You have to be able to control it, ideally use both feet to run with it and if you haven't got the technical ability to beat a player you need to be able to hold it up and play your 10s into goal scoring positions,

Thus far, haven't seen consistent evidence that Armstrong can do any of the above at this level.

Club done the right thing I think it would have stung less if we'd not sold him to a rival but to a premiership club

Poll: Are we gonna make the play offs?

Armstrong on 12:41 - Jul 20 with 1883 viewsslmrstid

To flip it on its head, how would we feel if we'd spent £1m on a 20 year old with 4 goals in 64 games for his club? Doesn't scream young gem at you.

We all got excited by him when he burst onto the pitch as a sub with pace and power, but not much else, because the team he was playing in was so bad just someone running around a bit made it look so much better.

I don't think I've ever seen anything in him though to make me think he'd be a force at this level and the club have done well to do what they've done.

Whether Celar proves to be better is to be seen, but he's got a bit of pedigree at least.
Armstrong on 12:48 - Jul 20 with 1843 viewshantssi

Armstrong on 01:30 - Jul 20 by CLAREMAN1995

I think he can develop into an excellent player myself being born with pace and power just so raw and reckless right now.
Can anybody explain what Bristol City saw in him that Marti and his coaches did not because I would like to know.I felt he would thrive under Marti but he must have been unable to get the system or way of playing or just wanted out which is a real pity IMO.
Still good luck to him I am sure our boys will enjoy getting under his skin when we meet BC

Who said Marti and his coaches didn’t see anything in him?
He wouldn’t sign a new contract so we had to do what was best for the club which I believe they’ve done.
Armstrong on 12:50 - Jul 20 with 1820 viewsE17hoop

Noticeable at the training ground there are photos down a corridor of all the wins last season. Taken in the dressing room, all the players and staff are there. At the front and centre on every one was Armstrong, irrespective if he'd even played.

We understood his young enthusiasm and arrogance and lots of the current squad have joined around him. How he will do with a club where a culture and team dynamics are set, along with a manager who doesn't suffer fools gladly and he might have a bit of learning and growing up to do.

It's always noisiest at the shallow end
Poll: Who do you want as next Next England manager?

Armstrong on 13:00 - Jul 20 with 1748 viewsMyke

An awful lot of 'inaccuracies' being mentioned about Armstrong. The bottom line is he would not have been sold if he had signed a new contract, but Noury is determined to ' protect the economic best interests of the club' which is a good thing and hasn't happened in the past. number of years. Noury is doing what he is paid to do. Will he also protect the best economic interests of the club with Dunne and Pall?
IInteresringly Celars scoring rates were quite similar to Armstrongs at a similar age but now he is the new messiah. Time will tell
Armstrong on 13:04 - Jul 20 with 1710 viewsw7r

Great bit of business done there. If he wasn't going to sign, then no option other than to cash-in.

He seems like a nice lad, but he's not a natural striker. Okay, he's quick, strong, and (kind of) exciting. He's also, unpredictable, has a poor touch, no composure in front of goal, poor positioning, can't head and is way too emotional.

Some of those shortcomings may be improved with coaching but he's not a kid anymore, look at the likes of Gallen, Austin, Thorpe, Les, Thompson, Crouch and Wells to name a few - it came naturally to them they didn't need to think about it - natural born killers in front of goal. Sincs isn't of that ilk IMO.

Hope he proves me wrong, but I don't see him getting more than 5 goals this season. Might even have bet on his tally.
Armstrong on 14:00 - Jul 20 with 1502 viewsDWQPR

Just read his interview on the Brizzle website. Armstrong describes himself as:

“I think I can make a very big impact. I think I bring something different and I’m a different type of player. I’m a player that come short into feet and hold it up and run in-behind and score some goals.“

Poll: Where will Clive put QPR in his new season preview

Armstrong on 14:09 - Jul 20 with 1459 viewsNed_Kennedys

Armstrong on 13:00 - Jul 20 by Myke

An awful lot of 'inaccuracies' being mentioned about Armstrong. The bottom line is he would not have been sold if he had signed a new contract, but Noury is determined to ' protect the economic best interests of the club' which is a good thing and hasn't happened in the past. number of years. Noury is doing what he is paid to do. Will he also protect the best economic interests of the club with Dunne and Pall?
IInteresringly Celars scoring rates were quite similar to Armstrongs at a similar age but now he is the new messiah. Time will tell

Don’t think there is many inaccuracies in this thread.
Yeah we would’ve kept him if he’d signed a new contract but only as an asset who MIGHT develop and become valuable in the next few years. He would’ve have been on the bench for most of the season as he cannot play the lone striker role.
If we assume we were working on a one out, one in basis then Cifuentes must be delighted with the upgrade from Armstrong to Celas.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024