Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Armstrong 22:57 - Jul 15 with 67085 viewsdigswellhoop

sorry if I'm late Armstrong is a talent sign him on a long contract he will be a great player for us if nurtured properly

This post has been edited by an administrator
Armstrong on 18:03 - Jul 19 with 2927 viewsloftboy

On the offy confirmed

favourite cheese mature Cheddar. FFS there is no such thing as the EPL
Poll: Are you watching the World Cup

Armstrong on 18:09 - Jul 19 with 2806 viewspaulparker

Armstrong on 14:37 - Jul 19 by BazzaInTheLoft

Me, sad to see him go:

Plus one
Don’t like seeing our best youngsters go to nothing clubs , fair enough if it’s a step up but fcuking hell Bristol city

And Bowles is onside, Swinburne has come rushing out of his goal , what can Bowles do here , onto the left foot no, on to the right foot That’s there that’s two, and that’s Bowles Brian Moore

Armstrong on 18:14 - Jul 19 with 2719 viewsParkRoyalR

Armstrong on 18:09 - Jul 19 by paulparker

Plus one
Don’t like seeing our best youngsters go to nothing clubs , fair enough if it’s a step up but fcuking hell Bristol city

That is a great bit of business for us.
Armstrong on 18:15 - Jul 19 with 2693 viewsNorthernr

Armstrong on 18:14 - Jul 19 by ParkRoyalR

That is a great bit of business for us.

Agree.
Armstrong on 18:22 - Jul 19 with 2572 viewsdmm

Looking forward to the Celar deal being announced now
Armstrong on 18:27 - Jul 19 with 2502 viewsNorthernr

Armstrong on 18:22 - Jul 19 by dmm

Looking forward to the Celar deal being announced now

I wish they would, I've written the piece and cropped five bloody videos for the analytics bit this afternoon...

This better not end up in the Darren Ambrose Memorial Recycling Bin.
Armstrong on 18:28 - Jul 19 with 2487 viewsrbee

Plus one

That is the Bristol City that have finished above us in many recent seasons, the Bristol City who can spend way more than us.

Armstrong has been with us for four years and is still unproven. He has no great desire to stay with us.

A superb deal for our club in my opinion.
[Post edited 19 Jul 18:31]
Armstrong on 18:28 - Jul 19 with 2487 viewsWatfordR

Honestly, not sure what else the club could have done here.

Like others, I liked him and would have wanted him to stay. But the club apparently offered him an extension, he wouldn't agree to it. They triggered his further year as they were entitled, and they've gotten a much better deal for him than almost anyone expected.

The only criticism I'd have is that he ought to have been on a season long L1 loan in 22-23. But that can't really be held against Nourry and Marti.

So however he develops, it's an excellent deal for us imo.
Login to get fewer ads

Armstrong on 18:29 - Jul 19 with 2463 viewsdm97

Armstrong on 10:57 - Jul 19 by Padulas_Shampoo

Or could it be that the club's priority when signing new players is to get them in training, get them ingrained in the squad, get them some mates and get Marti to work his magic in terms of them understanding the part(s) they have to play in terms of tactical shape and pattern of play, rather than immediately throwing them in front of a camera with a scarf?

I don't know why so many people get all het up about 'signings'. They want them, lots of them and they want them now. Spend money, pay them money, just get more signings in. We need signings, signings, signings. Signings will fix everything, goals, set pieces, judicial sentences... There's nothing signings can't solve.

Some of my mates sit in the pub constantly refreshing their Twitter feeds desperate for their clubs to make signings or to see rumours of signing or theoretical signings. Sky Sports and Talksport clamber over each other desperate to anoint the biggest spending clubs as having 'a great window'. It's like watching capitalist addicts sometimes.

Personally I'd rather they be few, right, astute and ready to play for QPR come August than racking and stacking them 'just because'.

We have constantly referred to our own club as a 'basket case' (excuse the cliche) over the last couple of decades plus - with reason. We're finally showing signs of being more deliberate and considered and some people yearn for the old days? Bit odd.

My word “yearning for the old days” is some extrapolation from a comment about not announcing contract lengths or when a new player is signed!

I get the positivity around the way business is being conducted but my goodness it is possible for things to better and not perfect - or is it only the case that you either love everything about the new CEO or you are a heretic who hates him?!

He’s done a lot of good stuff and he’s far better than the last guy. I don’t like the way they’re creating shadowy veils around signings and contracts.

If that constitutes yearning for the good old days of Rio wearing number 5 caps and going to Malaysia on tour for you then fair play
Armstrong on 18:41 - Jul 19 with 2297 viewsKonk

Plus one

Looked at from an outsider's viewpoint, you could argue that City have a much bigger, more impressive ground, an impressive training ground, bigger crowds, and have had several young players come through their academy and go on to play in the Premier League in recent years. He also knows O'Leary, Knight, and Sykes from the RoI squads. He'll pocket a nice signing-on fee and a bump in pay too. Plus Bristol's a nice part of the world. I don't think it's a completely weird move.

City are in the same situation with Tommy Conway, who has a year left on his contract, and who's been at City since he was nine. Club offered him a reportedly hefty pay rise, and it was rejected without any attempts at negotiating. He's now training with the U-21's as Manning doesn't want distractions and Conway has made it clear he wants to go.

Figure being reported locally by journo and fans who are usually itk is £1.25m + £1m in add-ons. Not sure how they convinced him to go along with this effort:

[Post edited 19 Jul 18:50]

Fulham FC: It's the taking part that counts

Armstrong on 18:45 - Jul 19 with 2256 viewsMatch82

Armstrong on 13:03 - Jul 19 by mikeyhg

Not sure how to add pictures here but the deal seems to be as follows:

£2.5m with £1m add ons (lol) and 20% of future profit in case he turns into a world beater.
Of that, we have to give Shamrock Rovers £625k (25%) so just under £2m profit for us.

Fantastic deal

I know this isnt really the point but does anybody know what happens with Shamrock Rovers if City sell Armstrong?

Do they get 25% of the sell on fee we get from City?
Armstrong on 18:46 - Jul 19 with 2244 viewsOakR

Brilliant piece of business for us, regardless of whether he becomes a superstar or fades away.

This is exactly what we have been crying out for, for too long. Seel high, buy cheap. Rinse and repeat. Improve the squad and finances over time.

Poll: Will we stay up?

Armstrong on 18:48 - Jul 19 with 2233 viewsMick_S

Armstrong on 18:41 - Jul 19 by Konk

Looked at from an outsider's viewpoint, you could argue that City have a much bigger, more impressive ground, an impressive training ground, bigger crowds, and have had several young players come through their academy and go on to play in the Premier League in recent years. He also knows O'Leary, Knight, and Sykes from the RoI squads. He'll pocket a nice signing-on fee and a bump in pay too. Plus Bristol's a nice part of the world. I don't think it's a completely weird move.

City are in the same situation with Tommy Conway, who has a year left on his contract, and who's been at City since he was nine. Club offered him a reportedly hefty pay rise, and it was rejected without any attempts at negotiating. He's now training with the U-21's as Manning doesn't want distractions and Conway has made it clear he wants to go.

Figure being reported locally by journo and fans who are usually itk is £1.25m + £1m in add-ons. Not sure how they convinced him to go along with this effort:

[Post edited 19 Jul 18:50]

Spot on Konk.

Good move for everyone-nice to hear that Conway is being taught a lesson until City need him 😜

That’s soccer.

Did I ever mention that I was in Minder?

Armstrong on 18:51 - Jul 19 with 2201 viewssaxbend

Given that a) Nourry has a brain and b) Marti wouldn't stick around otherwise, either Bristol City have paid a lot of money for Sinclair, or we're about to sign two really good strikers (especially as Lyndon won't be at his best until September I suspect). I'm thinking probably both.
Armstrong on 18:54 - Jul 19 with 2176 viewsTonto

Armstrong on 18:51 - Jul 19 by saxbend

Given that a) Nourry has a brain and b) Marti wouldn't stick around otherwise, either Bristol City have paid a lot of money for Sinclair, or we're about to sign two really good strikers (especially as Lyndon won't be at his best until September I suspect). I'm thinking probably both.

Judging by how fit Frey looks compared to last season. It already is!

Why stop now, just when I'm hating it
Poll: How was the transfer window for you?

Armstrong on 19:03 - Jul 19 with 2099 viewsBeckenhamhoop

Just seen the news I was hoping for. This has made my day. The best bit of business I can recall in a long while.
Also, a little prediction for you… he’ll never be sold again for a higher transfer fee than this.
Armstrong on 19:03 - Jul 19 with 2096 viewsLogman

I think we'll miss him a lot. Made a big difference when he came on in games as an impact sub and I'm not sure we now have anyone that can do that. Saw last season, and in the Euro's that you need a striker with pace who can come on late in the game and out-pace a tiring back four.
Armstrong on 19:07 - Jul 19 with 2068 viewsstinkydad

Celar official now
Armstrong on 19:14 - Jul 19 with 1964 viewsbosh67

Armstrong on 19:07 - Jul 19 by stinkydad

Celar official now

Good luck to Sinclair. No doubt he will score against us in the future but I really think getting Celar in is potentially a huge trade up. I'm not sure if Dykes stays but Dykes, Frey and Celar already feels a lot better.

Never knowingly right.
Poll: How long before new signings become quivering wrecks of the players they were?

Armstrong on 19:17 - Jul 19 with 1942 viewsjoe90

While I wish him well and believe he has a bright future ahead of him, it is important that we do our best to protect the economic interests of the football club.

Nourry sentimental as ever.
Armstrong on 19:18 - Jul 19 with 1927 viewsbosh67

Armstrong on 19:17 - Jul 19 by joe90

While I wish him well and believe he has a bright future ahead of him, it is important that we do our best to protect the economic interests of the football club.

Nourry sentimental as ever.

And I love it.

Never knowingly right.
Poll: How long before new signings become quivering wrecks of the players they were?

Armstrong on 19:21 - Jul 19 with 1899 viewsNed_Kennedys

Armstrong on 19:03 - Jul 19 by Logman

I think we'll miss him a lot. Made a big difference when he came on in games as an impact sub and I'm not sure we now have anyone that can do that. Saw last season, and in the Euro's that you need a striker with pace who can come on late in the game and out-pace a tiring back four.

Well he was pretty hopeless when he started games, and it was a rare occurrence when he made a big impact off the bench.
Really no loss IMO but it’s irrelevant what people thought about him as he wasn’t going to sign a new contract so we needed to sell him on.
Armstrong on 19:58 - Jul 19 with 1692 viewsTK1

Armstrong on 18:28 - Jul 19 by rbee

That is the Bristol City that have finished above us in many recent seasons, the Bristol City who can spend way more than us.

Armstrong has been with us for four years and is still unproven. He has no great desire to stay with us.

A superb deal for our club in my opinion.
[Post edited 19 Jul 18:31]

Great deal, had to sell him.

However, not sure we need to put Bristol City on that pedestal: "That is the Bristol City that have finished above us in many recent seasons".

In the last ten seasons they have finished above us five times. Which means we have finished above them five times too. So, even with all our financial woe and general Beale/Ainsworth fckery we are on a par. And even last season, when we gave Bristol City a massive head start by only winning two games from the opening 15, brilliant Bristol City only finished six points ahead of QPR.

So, good club, lovely away day, decent fans, great ground (if a bit of a schlep from the station) (and we won there last season)...but it's still Bristol City. Who haven't been in the top flight since 1980. Forty-four years ago. QPR are a club with a much more successful recent history stretching back 60+ years, as well as a much more handsome current manager who looks like he might have experienced a natural emotion in his life.

Good luck to Sinclair. Let's not forget our old friend Brian Tinnion did this deal (pop!).
Armstrong on 20:18 - Jul 19 with 1555 viewslassel

Tough one with Armstrong - I can absolutely see the side who say he brings pace and power that we massively lack in this squad. Like many others I was excited when he was coming through and there was lots of hype and I hoped he would kick on and in some respects he has - clearly with coaching his decision making improved last year but his big problem has always been imo that he’s not an instinctive football player. When he has time to think he has started making better decisions but when he needs the react as seen in the previous friendly he still makes a horlicks of things.

Ultimately as well with the style Marti is looking to play this season he was never going to be more than a Plan C bench option - Armstrong playing ‘shexy futball’ is like replacing Busquets with Robbie Savage in those Barcelona sides…

On top of that his agent wanted bonkers money and clubs were offering good deals for him and it was a no brainer to let him go. He seems a good kid and I hope he manages to work it all out and have a decent career.
Armstrong on 20:20 - Jul 19 with 1531 viewsCamberleyR

Armstrong on 18:45 - Jul 19 by Match82

I know this isnt really the point but does anybody know what happens with Shamrock Rovers if City sell Armstrong?

Do they get 25% of the sell on fee we get from City?

No. They've had their cut from the fee we received from Bristol City. They don't roll over on a second transfer.

Poll: Which is the worst QPR team?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024