Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Guitar playing thread 13:58 - Jan 19 with 29911 viewsBluce_Ree

*Now includes bassists*

I know there's a few of us on here. Would be interesting to know what you're up to (as opposed to this just being a lot of youtube vids of good guitarists).

What guitars do you have? What style do you play? How do you practice?
[Post edited 19 Jan 2023 14:30]

Stefan Moore, Stefan Moore running down the wing. Stefan Moore, Stefan Moore running down the wing. He runs like a cheetah, his crosses couldn't be sweeter. Stefan Moore. Stefan Moore. Stefan Moore.

Guitar playing thread on 08:55 - Nov 15 with 2015 viewsBluce_Ree

The kid's good but it's probably not as rare as you think. These kids today are out of control. They get a guitar and get on YouTube and they're looking to shred right away where as kids in the '80s were starting on Wild Thing or Smoke on the Water type shit.

Stefan Moore, Stefan Moore running down the wing. Stefan Moore, Stefan Moore running down the wing. He runs like a cheetah, his crosses couldn't be sweeter. Stefan Moore. Stefan Moore. Stefan Moore.

Guitar playing thread on 09:58 - Nov 15 with 1990 viewscolinallcars

Guitar playing thread on 23:43 - Nov 14 by qpr_1968

I'm not impressed….when I was 9 I was on 20 Senior Service and 8 pints of bitter a day.
Guitar playing thread on 14:45 - Nov 15 with 1961 viewsBluce_Ree

Motherf**ker! So I'm trying to send back this defective guitar but OF COURSE the return label is DHL which means I can't just go to the post office.

So the nearest drop off is a local shop. They won't take it. Too big and they've got too many other packages taking up space. So I take it to the next nearest. They won't either.

Go to book an online pick up but because the label doesn't have a waybill ref (?!) or a ten digit account number (it has a 7 digit one), I can't do that either.

So now I have to f**king get the f**king c*nts who sold me this lemon to send me another label. F*CK OFF, MAN.

Guitar playing thread on 18:21 - Nov 16 with 1853 viewsted_hendrix

You might have this Guy covered already Bluce but If not check It out.

My Father had a profound influence on me, he was a lunatic.

Guitar playing thread on 22:10 - Nov 16 with 1818 viewscolinallcars

Danny Gatton was so good, he was known as The Humbler.
Taken from this world at far too young an age.

Guitar playing thread on 17:36 - Nov 18 with 1775 viewsWilkinswatercarrier

My 13 year old daughter is having her first guitar 🎸 lesson on Monday. The tutor is also lending her a spare electric guitar plus amp, God help me.
Guitar playing thread on 21:22 - Nov 18 with 1743 viewscolinallcars

Anyone looking for a cheap guitar ?
A Gibson SG Special played by Eric Clapton and art-painted by Dutch artists has been sold in Nashville for…….a million smackeroos.
Guitar playing thread on 22:50 - Nov 18 with 1723 viewsMetallica_Hoop

Beer and Beef has made us what we are - The Prince Regent

Login to get fewer ads

Guitar playing thread on 23:22 - Nov 18 with 1716 viewscolinallcars

Guitar playing thread on 22:50 - Nov 18 by Metallica_Hoop

I haven't heard/seen that for a while.
Brilliant. Someone posted on here about how the Sex Pistols changed music forever.
Yeah, right mate - I think J S Bach had something to do with it !
Guitar playing thread on 23:37 - Nov 18 with 1713 viewsMetallica_Hoop

Guitar playing thread on 23:22 - Nov 18 by colinallcars

I haven't heard/seen that for a while.
Brilliant. Someone posted on here about how the Sex Pistols changed music forever.
Yeah, right mate - I think J S Bach had something to do with it !

If you listen to Bach, Charpentier,Corelli, Handel, Mozart,Purcell its (a fair bit of it).

The forerunner of metal.

It just took 300 years to electrify it.
[Post edited 18 Nov 2023 23:39]

Guitar playing thread on 23:50 - Nov 18 with 1707 viewscolinallcars

Guitar playing thread on 23:37 - Nov 18 by Metallica_Hoop

If you listen to Bach, Charpentier,Corelli, Handel, Mozart,Purcell its (a fair bit of it).

The forerunner of metal.

It just took 300 years to electrify it.
[Post edited 18 Nov 2023 23:39]

This was one of the first things I learned to play on guitar - obviously not written with guitar in mind.
The only way to play the contrapuntal bit, is with the left thumb overhanging the neck. Which is not the way to play conventionally.
I never really mastered it.
Guitar playing thread on 00:03 - Nov 19 with 1705 viewsMetallica_Hoop

Guitar playing thread on 23:50 - Nov 18 by colinallcars

This was one of the first things I learned to play on guitar - obviously not written with guitar in mind.
The only way to play the contrapuntal bit, is with the left thumb overhanging the neck. Which is not the way to play conventionally.
I never really mastered it.

I've tried to play guitar so many times but being an ex-goalkeeper with so many broken fingers I gave up.
I just appeciate what I'd love to be able to do.

My mate plays a 7 string and offered me free lessons I said 'dude I struggle with a B chord.'

It builds.
Corelli was brilliant I have 2 cds

[Post edited 19 Nov 2023 0:17]

Guitar playing thread on 17:56 - Nov 20 with 1638 viewsSonofpugwash

Ay caramba!
Saw Eric plying this a few times with Cream.

https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/news/general_music_news/eric_claptons_fool_gibso

Poll: Dykes - love him or hate him?

Guitar playing thread on 21:57 - Nov 26 with 1522 viewsBluce_Ree

Fk.

The greatest to ever do it is dead.

RIP Geordie Walker.

Guitar playing thread on 13:48 - Nov 28 with 1450 viewsBluce_Ree

Not sure if I posted this before but this is an acoustic version of Start The Fire by 12 Foot Ninja's guitarist. It's fking superb. The tastiest thing you'll ever hear.

Guitar playing thread on 22:07 - Dec 4 with 1349 viewscolinallcars

Guitar playing thread on 16:27 - Oct 15 by R_from_afar

Some food for thought in this list of the top 250 guitarists:
https://www.rollingstone.com/music/music-lists/best-guitarists-1234814010/andy-s

The idiocy exists in other fields too. Something popped up on the homepage of my desktop just now - “ the 30 most influential drummers of all time “
The first face to pop up…….Ringo Starr. I kid you not.
They did to be fair have a lot of good 'uns. Ginger Baker, Bill Bruford et al.
Guitar playing thread on 22:35 - Dec 4 with 1325 viewsted_hendrix

Not the best of videos but this Is where I'll be tomorrow and Wednesday, I've got an account down there and I've got nine pre bids on the go at the moment.
Wish me luck.

Guitar playing thread on 09:12 - Dec 5 with 1291 viewsBluce_Ree

What guitars are you in for, Ted?

I was watching this the other day. It's a bog standard video about learning notes on the neck. Not sure why I was watching it.

But I kept watching because of the guy's guitar. A gold Gretsch. It's so nice.

Guitar playing thread on 18:42 - Dec 5 with 1240 viewsted_hendrix

I was bidding but got outbid on my first three guitars (two Telecasters and a Gibson SG) later In the day I managed to win a bid for an American made PRS S2 Vela It's lot 359 In the catalogue, i've got an Indonesian made PRS SE Standard that Is totally playable and Is superb.
I'm bidding on a Japanese made Strat tomorrow and two cheapish electric resonators, three amplifiers and a Japanese made 70's Epiphone acoustic which I played today In the auction room acoustically and It's awesomely loud.

I know what you mean about Gretsch guitars, the American ones are way over 2 k+, I've got a Chinese made Gretsch 6131 the same colour and model as Malcolm Youngs, but to be honest It's not very well made, the Malcolm Young Gretsch signature guitar costs circa £3k.

This YT vid is a review of the American PRS Vela that I bought today (It's the same colour too).

Guitar playing thread on 19:10 - Dec 5 with 1223 viewscolinallcars

Blimey Ted, my wife used to complain that I had too many guitars (3!).
Guitar playing thread on 23:53 - Dec 9 with 1112 viewsMetallica_Hoop

A good live mix from live performances, mostly this year.

The band might not be everyone's cup of tea but that guitar...

[Post edited 10 Dec 2023 0:08]

Guitar playing thread on 12:51 - Dec 15 with 1056 viewsR_from_afar

I started trying to teach myself Fu Manchu's "Weird beard" a few years ago and moved on to other songs, but recently, I revisited it, and it's such a great tune to learn.

There's a wicked riff, palm muting, slides, bends, hammer-ons and pull-offs and an interesting solo. It's not that hard to play - it can't be if I can (sort of) play it - and it's an unusual, but catchy, groove-laden rock number.

This is the tab I have been using, it's not totally accurate because the band themselves add in some frills which are missed here, but it's pretty good:
https://tabs.ultimate-guitar.com/tab/fu-manchu/weird-beard-tabs-1904853

Oh, and this is how it should be played:

Such a great song!

"Things had started becoming increasingly desperate at Loftus Road but QPR have been handed a massive lifeline and the place has absolutely erupted. it's carnage. It's bedlam. It's 1-1."

Guitar playing thread on 10:15 - Jan 12 with 931 viewsBluce_Ree

Have decided to bin my jazz guitar lessons. The guy has no lesson plan, no structure, doesn't listen, doesn't explain things well. The only reason I stuck it out this long is that having a lesson gave me a reason to practise. But honestly nearly everything I've learned has been from YouTube.

Even songs have been weird. Like if I was teaching and I needed you to learn a song, I'd play a recording of the song so you've got the feel of it and then I'd show you the parts enough that you could then take the tablature home to learn it yourself. This guy just gives me the tab and that's it. Shite.

Also, and this is odd, but 95% of jazz guitar that I hear is disjointed and messy and not very enjoyable to listen to. Luckily I found one player on YouTube whose style I actually like. He's got an online course. It's 100+ quid but I think I might do that instead.

Guitar playing thread on 00:29 - Jan 20 with 808 viewsMetallica_Hoop

The dude playing last at the back stole the show.

Guitar playing thread on 08:39 - Feb 2 with 673 viewsBluce_Ree

While I take a little break from jazz I've been dabbling with rockabilly which is much more jazz influenced than I thought. It's got inversions, diminished runs, chord subs and block chords but it has the advantage of being fun to play and easier to listen to.

Obviously that means diving into Brian Setzer's playing a bit.

Also, I think I've seen my dream guitar. The new(ish) Gretsch Broadkaster. It looks very tasty. It's also like two grand too expensive.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024