Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Anti-Northern songs 14:34 - Aug 22 with 12158 viewsScouse_R

Being a Scouse-R with a season ticket in Ellerslie Road (thanks to my 15 year-old son, who has been taking me to LR for the last 9 seasons), I have always felt a tad uncomfortable when the anti-Northerm songs come out against teams like Barnsley. I already feel like a bit of an alien at Rangers (my son has a 'southern' accent, so he's ok) so the anti-Northern songs can really make me wince. I usually shuffle around awkwardly when they come out.
Anyway, I got so carried away in the second half yesterday that I actually joined in and became an honorary Londoner!
Anti-Northern songs on 21:24 - Aug 22 with 2511 viewsthame_hoops

Anti-Northern songs on 17:15 - Aug 22 by Harbour

I might be wrong but I always feel the shit ref and Lino songs one could be counter productive if there is a 50/50 decision the ref/Lino might very towards the opposition if they are getting abuse. But having said that I thought the ref had a poor game yesterday.

This reminds me of a letter in viz a few years ago. It went along the lines of saying something like fans should sing praise when the referee makes a good decision as refs have feelings Hahaha.
Anti-Northern songs on 21:50 - Aug 22 with 2471 viewsScouse_R

I've been going to football matches for 45 years and anti-northern / southern etc chants are par for the course and always have been. As far as I can see, it's done in good humour and I certainly don't have a problem with it.

If anyone has a problem singing such songs, it might actually be some Northern clubs: If Liverpool or Man United fans sing them then they are clearly having a go at half of their fan base!

Although there are many Northern based R's, I suppose there are not very many Northerner's that follow the R's, so anti-Northern songs at LR aren't really going to upset anyone. They certainly don't bother me - other than to confirm my alien status in the crowd!

I lived in Wales for a few years, in Cardiff, and the poster earlier is correct that there is a lot of Anti-English feeling there and that it runs deep. That said, one of my favourite R's chants in recent years was Bristol City away when, referring to Luke Freeman, who was playing for us that day we sang 'he left cos you're Welsh' :-)
Anti-Northern songs on 21:54 - Aug 22 with 2463 viewsScouse_R

Anti-Northern songs on 18:44 - Aug 22 by kropotkin41

I find the anti-Welsh chants pretty uncomfortable from Rs fans at Cardiff and Swansea games, but more so the God Save the Queen knee-jerk Unionist bs from supporters of a club with a fair amount of Irish support. QPR isn't any more an England representative team than it's a Southern representative team. We could all try supporting the Rs without the prejudice.

Like the Kropotkin handle. Good point too :-)
Anti-Northern songs on 21:57 - Aug 22 with 2454 viewsjoe90

Don't know if this is necessarily an anti-northern song but 'sign on' to the tune of you'll never walk alone was probably the funniest football song I've heard.
Anti-Northern songs on 22:07 - Aug 22 with 2430 viewsCliveWilsonSaid

Anti-Northern songs on 21:57 - Aug 22 by joe90

Don't know if this is necessarily an anti-northern song but 'sign on' to the tune of you'll never walk alone was probably the funniest football song I've heard.

Yeh. It was always the "with a pen, in your hand" bit that I liked.

Poll: Expectations for this season?

Anti-Northern songs on 22:16 - Aug 22 with 2414 viewsdezzar

Yes sign on and we pay your benefits , so funny , can just imagine michael gove gtting a semi and cracking one off while sharing the joke with boris and jackob, under his coat in the loft .
Anti-Northern songs on 22:33 - Aug 22 with 2378 viewsMick_S

Anti-Northern songs on 22:07 - Aug 22 by CliveWilsonSaid

Yeh. It was always the "with a pen, in your hand" bit that I liked.

I got that.

Did I ever mention that I was in Minder?

Anti-Northern songs on 22:47 - Aug 22 with 2355 viewsCiderwithRsie

Will this do?

Login to get fewer ads

Anti-Northern songs on 01:46 - Aug 23 with 2231 viewsBoston

I'd wouldn't be overly worried Scouse, the 'North' starts at Vicarage Rd.
[Post edited 23 Aug 2021 1:47]

Poll: Thank God The Seaons Over.

Anti-Northern songs on 02:07 - Aug 23 with 2222 viewsnix

Anti-Northern songs on 01:46 - Aug 23 by Boston

I'd wouldn't be overly worried Scouse, the 'North' starts at Vicarage Rd.
[Post edited 23 Aug 2021 1:47]

I really used to laugh when the Brighton fans sang it to us!

I haven't heard the Welsh chants which is probably just as well. Not a fan of English jibes at the Welsh as they tend to show the ignorant and arrogant side of English patriotism.
Anti-Northern songs on 07:49 - Aug 23 with 2124 viewsenfieldargh

Anti-Northern songs on 02:07 - Aug 23 by nix

I really used to laugh when the Brighton fans sang it to us!

I haven't heard the Welsh chants which is probably just as well. Not a fan of English jibes at the Welsh as they tend to show the ignorant and arrogant side of English patriotism.

Was it right for Cardiff City FC to play the Steptoe Theme whilst reading out our team before the game?

Jay Simpson 2 Cardiff 0

We could play a theme for every opposition we play.

Theme to Dragon slayer for Cardiff & Swansea
Theme for Jeeves V Fulham?
Eke Thump by the Goodies V Blackburn/PNE?

captains fantastic
Poll: QPR V BURNLEY WIN DRAW DEFEAT

Anti-Northern songs on 08:11 - Aug 23 with 2097 viewsMetallica_Hoop

The worse one is the 'your mum's your dad, your dad's your mum' I've never liked that, although today some may say it was a pioneering non-binary gender ditty.

Beer and Beef has made us what we are - The Prince Regent

Anti-Northern songs on 11:34 - Aug 23 with 1991 viewsNorrisGreen

I was chatting to some LFC fans after we played at Anfield several years ago and they mentioned that our singing/chanting was almost exclusively negativity and abuse towards LFC with barely anything offering support and encouragement to our own team.
I recalled there was rather a lot of "Shelvey looks like E.T." stuff plus usual stuff about dustbin food, signing on etc etc.
It did make me think and ever since I have been slightly aware that at away games we do tend to spend a bit too much time dissing the opposition and pointing out stereotypical character flaws.
So, rather than getting bogged down in the acceptability of certain chants maybe there's a bigger issue involving just getting behind our team instead of getting against their team?
Anti-Northern songs on 12:21 - Aug 23 with 1939 viewsBazzaInTheLoft

Anti-Northern songs on 11:34 - Aug 23 by NorrisGreen

I was chatting to some LFC fans after we played at Anfield several years ago and they mentioned that our singing/chanting was almost exclusively negativity and abuse towards LFC with barely anything offering support and encouragement to our own team.
I recalled there was rather a lot of "Shelvey looks like E.T." stuff plus usual stuff about dustbin food, signing on etc etc.
It did make me think and ever since I have been slightly aware that at away games we do tend to spend a bit too much time dissing the opposition and pointing out stereotypical character flaws.
So, rather than getting bogged down in the acceptability of certain chants maybe there's a bigger issue involving just getting behind our team instead of getting against their team?

I think Football Fans are moving in the right direction. I've not heard any kind of racist remarks for decades, except a dodgy one about J Sung Park when he played us in the league cup at OT and one very much close to the bone at Luton. Very isolated incidents though.

On that Liverpool game It should be noted that there was very little to be positive or supportive of during that period of time!

I'm really enjoying the JoJo and Dickie chants at the moment. It was even nice to hear the brief 'We're Top of the League' on Saturday before Barnsley ruined it.

All positive stuff.

Piss taking is fine. As most of us are skint and a lot of us are on Universal Credit abuse about signing on and eating out of dustbins is shitting on our own really. Tuppence ha'penny looking down on tuppence if you like, especially as the country is being rinsed by chancers to the tune of £billions. That I would love to hear a chant about!
[Post edited 23 Aug 2021 15:43]
Anti-Northern songs on 12:24 - Aug 23 with 1926 viewsrrrspricey

Anti-Northern songs on 18:49 - Aug 22 by Rangersw12

God forbid an English league club sings the national anthem

Dry your eyes FFS

But it's not though is it? England doesn't have an official national anthem so wtf is the point in singing the British one to supposedly antagonise fellow Brits?
Anti-Northern songs on 12:34 - Aug 23 with 1913 viewsngbqpr

I've had a similar conversation with an LFC fan, who said Palace were the only fans he could think of who focused on getting behind the team for 90 minutes at Anfield, instead of LFC-related jibes etc.

I am not against banter at all - but as we pushed for (and got) the equaliser, and we really turned up the volume, I did wonder why one group in R decided the Chelsea / rent boys chant was right for that moment (luckily soon drowned out by ones getting behind the team).

Poll: Best hug a stranger / fall down five rows / 'limbs' late goals this season

Anti-Northern songs on 12:56 - Aug 23 with 1884 viewsScouse_R

Anti-Northern songs on 12:21 - Aug 23 by BazzaInTheLoft

I think Football Fans are moving in the right direction. I've not heard any kind of racist remarks for decades, except a dodgy one about J Sung Park when he played us in the league cup at OT and one very much close to the bone at Luton. Very isolated incidents though.

On that Liverpool game It should be noted that there was very little to be positive or supportive of during that period of time!

I'm really enjoying the JoJo and Dickie chants at the moment. It was even nice to hear the brief 'We're Top of the League' on Saturday before Barnsley ruined it.

All positive stuff.

Piss taking is fine. As most of us are skint and a lot of us are on Universal Credit abuse about signing on and eating out of dustbins is shitting on our own really. Tuppence ha'penny looking down on tuppence if you like, especially as the country is being rinsed by chancers to the tune of £billions. That I would love to hear a chant about!
[Post edited 23 Aug 2021 15:43]

Spot on. mate
Anti-Northern songs on 13:22 - Aug 23 with 1842 viewsRangersw12

Majority of football fans despise Liverpool for obvious reasons so it's no surprise they get alot chants directed at them
Anti-Northern songs on 13:25 - Aug 23 with 1835 viewsRangersw12

Anti-Northern songs on 12:24 - Aug 23 by rrrspricey

But it's not though is it? England doesn't have an official national anthem so wtf is the point in singing the British one to supposedly antagonise fellow Brits?

Welsh/Scots identify GSTQ with England so its pretty obvious why it's sung against them
Anti-Northern songs on 13:33 - Aug 23 with 1823 viewsNorthernr

If people just got to know me off the internet they'd realise I'm alright.
Anti-Northern songs on 13:47 - Aug 23 with 1798 viewsBacon

Anti-Northern songs on 21:50 - Aug 22 by Scouse_R

I've been going to football matches for 45 years and anti-northern / southern etc chants are par for the course and always have been. As far as I can see, it's done in good humour and I certainly don't have a problem with it.

If anyone has a problem singing such songs, it might actually be some Northern clubs: If Liverpool or Man United fans sing them then they are clearly having a go at half of their fan base!

Although there are many Northern based R's, I suppose there are not very many Northerner's that follow the R's, so anti-Northern songs at LR aren't really going to upset anyone. They certainly don't bother me - other than to confirm my alien status in the crowd!

I lived in Wales for a few years, in Cardiff, and the poster earlier is correct that there is a lot of Anti-English feeling there and that it runs deep. That said, one of my favourite R's chants in recent years was Bristol City away when, referring to Luke Freeman, who was playing for us that day we sang 'he left cos you're Welsh' :-)

I was born and bred on the White City, have sung and enjoyed those songs when I was younger, but now live north of Newcastle, and when they are sung see them as Harmless banter........ or at least I used to.

I went to both the Hull and Boro away games with my son (8 years olds), and he had to endure "Dirty Northern Ba****ds", which he thought was aimed at him and has since informed me he is not sure he wants to go to games anymore.

He got given a shirt at the Boro game by Yohann, which the club have agreed to sign and his over riding memory of the night is still that song.

So people most certainly do get upset.
Anti-Northern songs on 13:54 - Aug 23 with 1785 viewsCiderwithRsie

Anti-Northern songs on 13:47 - Aug 23 by Bacon

I was born and bred on the White City, have sung and enjoyed those songs when I was younger, but now live north of Newcastle, and when they are sung see them as Harmless banter........ or at least I used to.

I went to both the Hull and Boro away games with my son (8 years olds), and he had to endure "Dirty Northern Ba****ds", which he thought was aimed at him and has since informed me he is not sure he wants to go to games anymore.

He got given a shirt at the Boro game by Yohann, which the club have agreed to sign and his over riding memory of the night is still that song.

So people most certainly do get upset.

It might help if you explain that it was never a slur on the cleanliness of northerners, but refers to dirty play i.e. fouling.

Northern fans used to reckon Londoners were "soft southern bastards" and our players couldn't stand a physical challenge, we responded by alleging they went round fouling all the time.

It's still balls but it's not really about the fans at all (or never used to be) unlike the anti-scouser stuff which was.
Anti-Northern songs on 13:59 - Aug 23 with 1769 viewsDubaiR

Best one was Hull away:

Hull Fans - You've had you're day out now f off home.. repeat to which we sang back:

We get to go home, we get to go home, you lot live here, we get to go home
Anti-Northern songs on 14:04 - Aug 23 with 1760 viewsDubaiR

I still think football is a release, I used to love all the songs when younger, went home and away with my dad.

Can we please not lose banter from football as well. It's two way it is good natured and football without atmosphere and alittle tension is boring, the last 18 months should have taught us that.

Hull 3 years ago was horrible as the home stands empty basically, this year there had the corner by us full and it actually made for a good atmosphere
[Post edited 23 Aug 2021 14:06]
Anti-Northern songs on 14:26 - Aug 23 with 1724 viewsjohncharles

Songs sung at football marches are funny, they make me laugh. If they’re not funny then what’s the point ?

Strong and stable my arse.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024