Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Shoes-on or shoes-off indoors? 05:51 - Jan 2 with 9421 viewsKonk

I saw a Twitter thread on this, and it seems a very divisive subject - some folk are very defensive about their right to walk filth through other people’s homes. I grew-up in a house where you took your shoes-off at the door, and we were taught to remove our shoes at other people’s homes regardless of what the hosts did.

I reckon 90% of homes that I visit operate a shoes-off policy. That said, our current house was so filthy when we moved in that for the first couple of days I wore shoes everywhere but bed. The downstairs bog had cork tiles on the floor that were so sticky, I wore an old pair of trainers when I was cleaning it.

If I’m watching the telly and someone is lying on a sofa, on a bed, or has their feet on a table, and they’re wearing shoes, it makes me feel quite anxious. I automatically imagine them standing in a puddle of pi ss in the bogs at the football, or at the trough in a pub’s khazi, or unknowingly traipsing through dog s hit on the way home from standing in pi ss at the football. It’s rank.

I can understand people with pets keeping their shoes on, because I’ve stepped in puddles of cat pi ss at my mate’s house: it’s grim, and slippers in pet pis s would be heartbreaking; it’s bad enough in socks. For pet owners, it’s a case of in for a penny, in for a pound, because if you already have a cat or a dog wiping it’s anus and genitals on your bed linen and spreading pet filth everywhere, why bother taking your shoes-off? I’m fine with that if you have an animal in the house - it’s the no pets, but keep your shoes on mob that I don’t understand.

We have a light-coloured carpet on our stairs and throughout upstairs. Leaving the house the other day, I realised that I’d left my wallet in my bedroom. I couldn’t be arsed to take my boots off, so I went and collected my wallet on my knees. Took ages, and sparked an argument with my wife. Next time, I’ll just take them off, but there was no way I was walking around the house in boots.

After years of rolling my eyes at my parents for doing it, I’m now at the age whereby if we’re away at friends or family for the night, we’ll often take our slippers with us. I am my father’s son. My in-laws have “house shoes” which are outdoor shoes they only wear inside - which is just weird, as that’s what slippers are for.

Shoes-on or shoes-off?

Fulham FC: It's the taking part that counts

Shoes-on or shoes-off indoors? on 12:21 - Jan 2 with 3046 viewsolderR

When we went to Poland to meet our Polish daughter-in-law’s parents they had a lineup of half a dozen pairs of slippers awaiting visitors.
Good idea but keep your socks on.
Shoes-on or shoes-off indoors? on 13:39 - Jan 2 with 2968 viewsTacticalR

In East Asia everyone will expect you to remove your shoes on entering (so don't go round to anyone's house with holes in your socks).

Don Aslett's 'Is There Life After Housework?' advocates doormats to keep out dirt (it's an American book so doesn't discuss people taking their shoes off).

Air hostess clique

Shoes-on or shoes-off indoors? on 08:17 - Jan 3 with 2844 viewsNoDiddley

Shoes-on or shoes-off indoors? on 11:45 - Jan 2 by HantsR

I remember an unpleasant ride on the train a couple of years ago when the woman opposite us (on a seat with a shared table) removed her shoes and stretched her feet out so that they were just about under our seat, and under our noses. She had obviously had a busy day and her stockinged feet were very smelly. I often wondered how I should have dealt with the matter? Mrs Hants wouldn't let me take action against the offending woman.

Don’t start me on trains! I commute & every day bar none there are loads of passengers with their feet on the opposite seat, even worse now as there are spares due to social distancing. I’ve actually asked some “ Why have you got your dirty feet on the seat, do you do that at home?” The looks I get or abuse (I can handle that) are amazing. I always reply “Imagine if your Mrs was going to a function with a nice white dress on & she’s turned up with dog Shite on it, how would she feel?” I might as well talk to a lamppost, retards the lot of them😡
Shoes-on or shoes-off indoors? on 12:35 - Jan 3 with 2789 viewsenfieldargh

not only shoes in my house you have to wear indoor clothes.!!!!

Close family its ok as they get it, on the rare occasions we have friends round(yes your right I dont have many) we have seat covers to put on the furniture in one room or another room has leather furniture that can be wiped clean.

Not my idea but have got used to it as you do. AS long as I can watch QPR in peace

Now its disinfecting the shopping my mrs is in her element!!!!!

Funny how the dogs are free to go where they want!!!!

Know what I'm coming back as

captains fantastic
Poll: QPR V BURNLEY WIN DRAW DEFEAT

Shoes-on or shoes-off indoors? on 13:38 - Jan 3 with 2749 viewsBoston

Shoes-on or shoes-off indoors? on 12:35 - Jan 3 by enfieldargh

Close family its ok as they get it, on the rare occasions we have friends round(yes your right I dont have many) we have seat covers to put on the furniture in one room or another room has leather furniture that can be wiped clean.

Not my idea but have got used to it as you do. AS long as I can watch QPR in peace

...a door mat?

Poll: Thank God The Seaons Over.

Shoes-on or shoes-off indoors? on 03:38 - Mar 29 with 2261 viewsFoxalive

Well, I mentioned that many people have different opinions regarding this topic. Honestly, I'm much more conservative, and I hate it when people enter any house, not only mine, with shoes on! I mean, the host has to clean the damn floor after that, and I don't think they are truly glad about it. And I don't care if your shoes are clean or how much your shoe cost, you will never enter my house with them on. I only allowed my son to wear some shoes in the house, and that was only once when he finally got his air jordans at forstepstyle from https://www.forstepstyle.com/collections/jordans/air-jordan-1/ . Since then, no one has done that.
[Post edited 29 Mar 2022 3:39]
Shoes-on or shoes-off indoors? on 04:51 - Mar 29 with 2226 viewsMick_S

Shoes-on or shoes-off indoors? on 03:38 - Mar 29 by Foxalive

Well, I mentioned that many people have different opinions regarding this topic. Honestly, I'm much more conservative, and I hate it when people enter any house, not only mine, with shoes on! I mean, the host has to clean the damn floor after that, and I don't think they are truly glad about it. And I don't care if your shoes are clean or how much your shoe cost, you will never enter my house with them on. I only allowed my son to wear some shoes in the house, and that was only once when he finally got his air jordans at forstepstyle from https://www.forstepstyle.com/collections/jordans/air-jordan-1/ . Since then, no one has done that.

Did I ever mention that I was in Minder?

Shoes-on or shoes-off indoors? on 07:35 - Mar 29 with 2141 viewsdistortR

Shoes-on or shoes-off indoors? on 04:51 - Mar 29 by Mick_S

also, he has to 'clean the damn floor'.

Fecking beavers.

edited for stupidity.
[Post edited 29 Mar 2022 8:44]
Login to get fewer ads

Shoes-on or shoes-off indoors? on 08:55 - Mar 29 with 2064 viewsTomS

I have to ask this to all people who don't wear shoes in their home. When you inevitably stepped on a piece of Lego, did you instinctively question whether it really was a good idea after all?
Shoes-on or shoes-off indoors? on 09:54 - Mar 29 with 1997 viewsJuzzie

Shoes-on or shoes-off indoors? on 08:55 - Mar 29 by TomS

I have to ask this to all people who don't wear shoes in their home. When you inevitably stepped on a piece of Lego, did you instinctively question whether it really was a good idea after all?

When England beat Columbia on penalties at the 2018 World Cup my celebrations were cut short when I stepped on some lego then fell forward in pain only to smack my face on a chair. I still managed to celebrate whilst writhing on the floor.

We have slippers/flip-flops for indoor use only. With three adults (mum-in-law currently with us) and two kids the area around the front door is so amassed with outdoor shoes I think even Imelda Marcos would be impressed.
Shoes-on or shoes-off indoors? on 11:04 - Mar 29 with 1937 viewswood_hoop

Used to be a carpet fitter many moons ago and I now would not use anything but a 'hard flooring' in my own gaff, wood/laminate/ tiling.

Avoids having to ask guests to remove shoes and as I have a dog who thinks finding the biggest mud patch around about a personal challange makes the cleaning/maintence so much easier.
Shoes-on or shoes-off indoors? on 14:47 - Mar 29 with 1824 viewsMatch82

Ok I'll be the pariah here. In principle, it's shoes off, and I'll always follow the lead at others houses - if they arent wearing shoes then mine go off at the door.

However... We have hardwood floors, and honestly, sometimes I just forget. We have little kids - not the crawling around age but definitely the sort to cause 7 kinda of havoc in about 30 seconds if you leave them to themselves kind. So when I come in I'm more concerned about getting their shoes coats etc off and chasing after whatever mayhem they are been preparing to unleash as soon as they set foot in the house than taking my own off. So sometimes I'll just realize half an hour later that I'm still wearing them and take them off then.

Exceptions to that obviously, if it's wet outside or whatever then they come straight off at the door, and under no circumstances shoes on the sofa.
Shoes-on or shoes-off indoors? on 15:10 - Mar 29 with 1806 viewsBoston

We have house cleaners.

Poll: Thank God The Seaons Over.

Shoes-on or shoes-off indoors? on 15:19 - Mar 29 with 1800 viewsloftboy

Shoes-on or shoes-off indoors? on 15:10 - Mar 29 by Boston

We have house cleaners.

I presumed Konk had servants as well!!

favourite cheese mature Cheddar. FFS there is no such thing as the EPL
Poll: Are you watching the World Cup

Shoes-on or shoes-off indoors? on 17:17 - Mar 29 with 1770 viewsqpr_1968

this fellow does the opposite.

Poll: how many games this season....home/away.

Shoes-on or shoes-off indoors? on 17:50 - Mar 29 with 1756 viewsPunteR

Shoes can stay on down stairs , shoes off upstairs.
Murphy, my American bully Dog will eat your shoes if you leave them by the front door. Up to you though.

Occasional providers of half decent House music.

Shoes-on or shoes-off indoors? on 10:44 - Mar 30 with 1632 viewsfrancisbowles

OMG!

That was scary. I thought this was a new thread and I started to read it from the beginning then I came across a post from 2Thomas2Bowles and I got a bit of a fright.

Sorry 2T2B no disrespect mate, we miss you on here.
Shoes-on or shoes-off indoors? on 13:24 - Mar 30 with 1565 viewslondonscottish

Shoes-on or shoes-off indoors? on 10:47 - Jan 2 by Konk

I wouldn’t dream of asking an adult to take their shoes off - I would hope that when I open the door stood in socks or slippers, they get the hint. Kids, I always ask to take their shoes off as they’re dog sh it/mud magnets and usually run straight upstairs to play in my son’s room.

I never ask people to take them off - it's usually the other way round; they ask me.

I do the same when I go somewhere; I ask them.

When we've got a crowd coming over here we don't bother.

TL/DR we take our own shows off at home but pretty much leave visitors to do what they want.

Poll: Do you love or hate the new Marmite ad?

Shoes-on or shoes-off indoors? on 14:26 - Mar 30 with 1525 viewsPhildo

Shoes-on or shoes-off indoors? on 03:38 - Mar 29 by Foxalive

Tremendous first post. Never mind the cheese or the play-offs straight to the heart of the matter. Does not offer an opinion on kitchens however.
Shoes-on or shoes-off indoors? on 14:31 - Mar 30 with 1515 viewsTheChef

Shoes-on or shoes-off indoors? on 12:35 - Jan 3 by enfieldargh

Wow, OCD tastic!

Poll: How old is everyone on here?

Shoes-on or shoes-off indoors? on 15:30 - Mar 30 with 1445 viewsMick_S

Shoes-on or shoes-off indoors? on 14:26 - Mar 30 by Phildo

Tremendous first post. Never mind the cheese or the play-offs straight to the heart of the matter. Does not offer an opinion on kitchens however.

I’m sorry to say he’s been sacked for selling shoes and then telling people not to use them.

Did I ever mention that I was in Minder?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024