Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Interest rates 18:34 - Nov 2 with 6154 viewsdickythorpe

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-41831777
Interest rates on 18:50 - Nov 2 with 5006 viewsLord_Bony

Hold on tight folks, it's the start of many years of small incremental increases. Many will lose their homes no doubt especially if they've been paying interest only mortages,now is a good time to think about renting.

The UK will now see a downtrend in property prices over the next few years.

PROUD RECIPIENT OF THE THIRD PLANET SWANS LIFETIME ACHIEVEMENT AWARD. "Per ardua ad astra"
Poll: iS tHERE lIFE aFTER dEATH

Interest rates on 19:04 - Nov 2 with 4996 viewsmonmouth

Interest rates on 18:50 - Nov 2 by Lord_Bony

Hold on tight folks, it's the start of many years of small incremental increases. Many will lose their homes no doubt especially if they've been paying interest only mortages,now is a good time to think about renting.

Loving your optimism Bony.

On the bright side though, rich pensioners will get more interest?

Poll: TRUST MEMBERS: What DID you vote in the, um, vote

Interest rates on 19:12 - Nov 2 with 4986 viewsjack247

Interest rates on 18:50 - Nov 2 by Lord_Bony

Most people on interest only mortgages, especially those with no repayment plan, would have started them during or before the credit crunch and be on their lenders variable rate or better by now. Back then the base rate was 6 or 7%. Payments have been ridiculously cheap on interest only mortgages for the best part of 10 years and still will be with a 0.5% base rate.

Why is it a good time to start thinking about renting?
Interest rates on 19:16 - Nov 2 with 4976 viewsbyron

40 million in the uk are savers so they say....about time they had some good news like going back to 5%, house prices should fall a bit making starter homes more affordable anyway.

Benny

Interest rates on 20:00 - Nov 2 with 4924 viewsMeraki

Interest rates on 19:12 - Nov 2 by jack247

Most people on interest only mortgages, especially those with no repayment plan, would have started them during or before the credit crunch and be on their lenders variable rate or better by now. Back then the base rate was 6 or 7%. Payments have been ridiculously cheap on interest only mortgages for the best part of 10 years and still will be with a 0.5% base rate.

Why is it a good time to start thinking about renting?

Exactly, the vast majority of mortgages since then are fixed rate - or so I'm led to believe.
Interest rates on 20:04 - Nov 2 with 4922 viewsexiledclaseboy

Interest rates on 20:00 - Nov 2 by Meraki

Exactly, the vast majority of mortgages since then are fixed rate - or so I'm led to believe.

About 60% of current mortgages are fixed rate, according to some dude on Radio5 earlier.

Poll: Tory leader

Interest rates on 20:06 - Nov 2 with 4918 viewsMeraki

Interest rates on 20:04 - Nov 2 by exiledclaseboy

About 60% of current mortgages are fixed rate, according to some dude on Radio5 earlier.

Ah not as much as I thought then...

I'm not sure it will be a good time to rent either though, surely landlords will deflect any mortgage rates on to their tenants?
Interest rates on 20:07 - Nov 2 with 4916 viewsexiledclaseboy

Interest rates on 20:06 - Nov 2 by Meraki

I'm not sure it will be a good time to rent either though, surely landlords will deflect any mortgage rates on to their tenants?

Rent controls are needed.

Login to get fewer ads

Interest rates on 20:14 - Nov 2 with 4896 viewslifelong

I bought a house in 1979, I think mortgage rates were about 10%, by 1982 mortgage interest rates had gone up to 18%
Interest rates on 20:24 - Nov 2 with 4882 viewsjack247

Interest rates on 20:06 - Nov 2 by Meraki

They will, but as well as that, a £100k interest only mortgage at 4% (which isn’t a particularly competitive rate) is £333.

I don’t think you can rent a house of that value for £333 a month and even if you can, you won’t benefit from it appreciating.

House prices will go up and down, but there’s only one way they go long term.
Interest rates on 20:34 - Nov 2 with 4870 viewsswanforthemoney

BBC news wer making a huge thing of this, but pretty irrelevant it just reverses the emergency cut that they made in the wake of the Brexiters vote. It's one quarter of one percent ffs.
Savers won't get anything more as a result of this. Mortgage rates won't change to any appreciable extent. Nothing to see here.
I can't see rates going up appreciably. If they did it would crush so many people financially that the economy would crash again.

I stand in the North Stand

Interest rates on 20:37 - Nov 2 with 4867 viewsmonmouth

Interest rates on 20:14 - Nov 2 by lifelong

I bought a house in 1979, I think mortgage rates were about 10%, by 1982 mortgage interest rates had gone up to 18%

When I joined RBS in 1990 one of the major perks was a subsidised rate down to 5%. I paid an average of 9% over the 15 year life of my mortgage. People seem to think low rates are a god given right these days.

Interest rates on 20:49 - Nov 2 with 4852 viewsexiledclaseboy

Interest rates on 20:37 - Nov 2 by monmouth

When I joined RBS in 1990 one of the major perks was a subsidised rate down to 5%. I paid an average of 9% over the 15 year life of my mortgage. People seem to think low rates are a god given right these days.

They wont reach 80s and 90s levels again. Not unless we do something really stupid like voluntary extricate ourselves from a huge common trading block and blow a massive hole in the economy. And we won’t be that stupid.

Interest rates on 20:51 - Nov 2 with 4845 viewsoh_tommy_tommy

Interest rates on 20:49 - Nov 2 by exiledclaseboy

They wont reach 80s and 90s levels again. Not unless we do something really stupid like voluntary extricate ourselves from a huge common trading block and blow a massive hole in the economy. And we won’t be that stupid.

You’d be surprised

Poll: DO you support the uk getting involved in Syria

Interest rates on 20:52 - Nov 2 with 4844 viewsJACKMANANDBOY

Today's rates are a low anomaly, my son suggested that he's got it tough compared to when I started out. In the early 1980s unemployment in S Wales was 16 percent, mortgage rates were 8 percent, inflation 10 per cent and basic rate tax 30 percent.
I explained to him My Dad had to fight the second world war. One of his school mates joined the merchant navy at 16, a week later he was sunk by a u boat, survived got the u boat and was then thrown back in the sea to drown. My grandad fought in the first world war when there was no welfare state, the working class relied on charity or died if they got ill. When my grandad was born life expectancy in the UK for Male's was 45.
My son has not raised the issue again. What gets me is politicians raising the issue of generational differences, they are the scum of the earth.

Besian Idrizaj Forever a Jack
Poll: When will Duff Revert to 4 at the Back

Interest rates on 20:55 - Nov 2 with 4830 viewsexiledclaseboy

Interest rates on 20:52 - Nov 2 by JACKMANANDBOY

Today's rates are a low anomaly, my son suggested that he's got it tough compared to when I started out. In the early 1980s unemployment in S Wales was 16 percent, mortgage rates were 8 percent, inflation 10 per cent and basic rate tax 30 percent.
I explained to him My Dad had to fight the second world war. One of his school mates joined the merchant navy at 16, a week later he was sunk by a u boat, survived got the u boat and was then thrown back in the sea to drown. My grandad fought in the first world war when there was no welfare state, the working class relied on charity or died if they got ill. When my grandad was born life expectancy in the UK for Male's was 45.
My son has not raised the issue again. What gets me is politicians raising the issue of generational differences, they are the scum of the earth.

Are you Uncle Albert Trotter by any chance?

Interest rates on 20:57 - Nov 2 with 4820 viewsdickythorpe

Interest rates on 20:55 - Nov 2 by exiledclaseboy

Tell us the u boat story again. Something is missing
Interest rates on 21:03 - Nov 2 with 4809 viewslifelong

Interest rates on 20:55 - Nov 2 by exiledclaseboy

My father used to tell me they were so poor when he was a child they used to take a bone out of their mothers corset and boil it for 3 hours to make whale bone soup.
Interest rates on 21:06 - Nov 2 with 4803 viewsexiledclaseboy

Interest rates on 21:03 - Nov 2 by lifelong

My father used to tell me they were so poor when he was a child they used to take a bone out of their mothers corset and boil it for 3 hours to make whale bone soup.

Interest rates on 21:09 - Nov 2 with 4798 viewsJACKMANANDBOY

Dickythorpe, I found my Dad's friend on the internet, but out of respect would not want to name him. He wanted to join the war effort, he was too young to join the armed forces so on his 16th birthday joined the merchant navy. A week later his ship was torpedoed. He survived and when the u boat surfaced managed to climb aboard but was thrown back in the water by the Germans and drowned. My Dad tells the story in great detail, and when I found this on the internet he had every detail right after 70 odd years. He's still gets very upset, understandably.
[Post edited 2 Nov 2017 21:31]

Besian Idrizaj Forever a Jack
Poll: When will Duff Revert to 4 at the Back

Interest rates on 21:09 - Nov 2 with 4798 viewsdickythorpe

My grandfather reckons he was so poor they used to lap the paddles of milk up that the lunatic Hywel Hopkins used to spill from carrying churns up Constitution Hill.
The horse couldn't do it, my grandpa smacked the horse to see if it would bolt up the hill, it walked up a bit but started walking backwards all the way to Hanover Street and back kicked his mates front teeth out!
Interest rates on 21:09 - Nov 2 with 4797 viewscmajack

Remember they were 15 per cent around the late 80s early 90s can remember being unable to afford to buy my favourite fish fingers as i had a young child and my wife wasn't working .
Interest rates on 21:32 - Nov 2 with 4751 viewsmonmouth

Interest rates on 20:49 - Nov 2 by exiledclaseboy

Quite.

Interest rates on 21:45 - Nov 2 with 4721 viewsMrSwansea

Interest rates on 20:37 - Nov 2 by monmouth

Interest rates have gone down a lot. House prices have gone up an incredible amount. Wages have gone up a little bit.

People dont look at the big picture.

Im looking at buying a small 2 bed terraced house in swansea. It’s the same price that my parents bought there 4 bed dettached house in a grower village 15 years ago. I earn exactly the same as my dad did back then, in a pretty similar position also.

Arseholes. The lot of you.
Poll: Who has received a pay rise in line with inflation within the last three years?

Interest rates on 21:54 - Nov 2 with 4710 viewsmonmouth

Interest rates on 21:45 - Nov 2 by MrSwansea

Interest rates have gone down a lot. House prices have gone up an incredible amount. Wages have gone up a little bit.

People dont look at the big picture.

Im looking at buying a small 2 bed terraced house in swansea. It’s the same price that my parents bought there 4 bed dettached house in a grower village 15 years ago. I earn exactly the same as my dad did back then, in a pretty similar position also.

Yes, but the cheap finance has fuelled house prices. But house prices raced ahead anyway even with high rates.

I am just making the point that low interest rates and lack of general wage inflation (which reduces debt) is purely down to the financial crash and the calamitous austerity shit.

They may well rise irespective of low general wage inflation.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024