Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Swearing & children at LR 13:57 - Jan 20 with 9335 viewsPinnerPaul

This happened at last home game, but only posting now as we're all a bit happier with life at the moment so i might get some calmer replies!

Guy sits next to me, ST holder and normally comes with his Dad.

On New years day he turned up with a mate, much more animated than usual, suspect they had been celebrating New year!

After 5 mins he shouted "F***" at referee or Karl Henry - can't remember which!

Parents with 6 year old ish child (also S/T holders) took great exception to this. Him and his mate did tone down language a little but were still swearing occasionally all through the match.

At end of game, father of boy took a picture of ST holders seat, with name on , to report I guess!

This was in ER , not family stand.

My thoughts is this boy must have heard F word many time in the first half of the season .

Thoughts? - are people "allowed" to swear in LR? - none of what they said was racist/homophobic etc btw
Swearing & children at LR on 16:18 - Jan 20 with 2214 viewsconnell10

Well i never swear at football as the people who sit around me will substantiate.

AND WHEN I DREAM , I DREAM ABOUT YOU AND WHEN I SCREAM I SCREAM ABOUT YOU!!!!!
Poll: best number 10 ever?

Swearing & children at LR on 16:43 - Jan 20 with 2187 viewswhittocksRs

If you're not in the familt stand you can't complain unless the person is really aggro. Then the complaint isn't about the language, it's about safety. Go to the cricket if you want a quiet, calm day.
Swearing & children at LR on 16:44 - Jan 20 with 2180 viewsNorthernr

Swearing & children at LR on 16:43 - Jan 20 by whittocksRs

If you're not in the familt stand you can't complain unless the person is really aggro. Then the complaint isn't about the language, it's about safety. Go to the cricket if you want a quiet, calm day.

You haven't been to cricket with me yet.
Swearing & children at LR on 17:02 - Jan 20 with 2140 viewslondonscottish

Swearing & children at LR on 15:10 - Jan 20 by BrianMcCarthy

Of course it's wrong to behave like that in front of children. It just is. And it being football is no excuse.

The questions are:-

1) Does it do any harm? I don't know the answer to this. I brought my sister down when she was a kid and it didn't harm her, but that's hardly scientific, and

2) Do we care? Probably not.

My boy's been going since he was 5 and we used to be in the upper Loft over towards Ellerslie so he's heard it all.

Kids realise that the noise, singing and language are just part and parcel of football.

Poll: Do you love or hate the new Marmite ad?

Swearing & children at LR on 17:03 - Jan 20 with 2137 viewsbarabajagal

Swearing & children at LR on 16:13 - Jan 20 by Hayesender

I once got ejected from Highbury for uncontrolled swearing at Gary fcking Chivers.

I think I was well within my rights

swearing at football is fine, I think.
Swearing & children at LR on 17:07 - Jan 20 with 2129 viewscollegeranger

About 10 years ago we moved out of the Upper Loft as one individual who was by this stage was 18 or 19 constantly hurled abuse and C Bombed etc. His father sat next to him and sometimes a few seats away and never told him to wind his neck in. My kids had started to come with me and they were 5+, another mate would brings his 8 year old and another would bring his 14 year old daughter. After a polite word and courting the opinion of others we all decided to move our season tickets the next year to SAR so we did not cause any discontent.
Chickens way out I guess for not confronting it head on - but I guess more out of respect for the father as he was between a rock and hard place with this kid.
Those that moved all sit together and have made friends where we now sit and its all behind us now.

So my view is that you always have the option to move and the club always tries to help finding a replacement seat for season ticket holders as at the time she said it was common.
Swearing & children at LR on 17:17 - Jan 20 with 2116 viewsHayesender

I took my son who has aspergers to his first game vs Reading a few years ago. Due to his condition he hates swearing to the point he won't even say "shut up" because he thinks it's rude.

Well he pissed himself laughing every time he heard a song with a swear word in it.

My point being, I don't think hearing certain words as a child makes you suddenly wanna say them

Poll: Shamima Beghum

Swearing & children at LR on 18:51 - Jan 20 with 2026 viewsYorkRanger

My two girls have been to football with me from a young age. They know right from wrong.
Most people are mindful of who is around them, but at the end of the day its football and swearing happens.

Racist language and the C word is a different matter, as is incessant bad language, but generally I've never felt the need to have a word.
Login to get fewer ads

Swearing & children at LR on 18:56 - Jan 20 with 2020 viewsWatford_Ranger

If parents can't teach their kids there's a difference between what you hear at football and what is acceptable to say outside of football then they're fcking sht parents.
Swearing & children at LR on 19:09 - Jan 20 with 2001 viewsTacticalR

I read the thread title as 'Swearing at children'. Personally, I am all for it.

Air hostess clique

Swearing & children at LR on 19:52 - Jan 20 with 1945 viewsRoller

Swearing & children at LR on 16:18 - Jan 20 by connell10

Well i never swear at football as the people who sit around me will substantiate.

Like f@ck they can Mr Pottymouth
Swearing & children at LR on 20:50 - Jan 20 with 1896 viewsPunteR

A couple of years ago when everyone was singing "Ashley Cole your John Terry's bitch" My lad asked me why everyone was singing "Ashley Cole your John Terry's fish"? Being a responsible parent i didn't correct him and let him sing it the rest of the day. Made me laugh anyway. My Boy is a bit more clued up now though.
If i'm taking my youngest i usually sit in the family stand and it's not a problem. My older 2 are used to a few swears now anyway. If someone was being really out of order than of course i'd tell them to keep it down ,but i've never had to. If i was sitting anywhere else in the stadium i'd be more reluctant to say anything unless really out of order because as Northernr says its football end of the day. I took the kids bowling couple of weeks ago and a few lads in the next lane were swearing their heads off. Their girlfriends told them off though.

Occasional providers of half decent House music.

Swearing & children at LR on 22:02 - Jan 20 with 1843 viewsTacticalR

They've got to learn somehow.

Air hostess clique

Swearing & children at LR on 22:13 - Jan 20 with 1829 viewspaesanu

Swearing & children at LR on 15:00 - Jan 20 by loftboy

When the Chelsea coach arrived for the cup game after the Terry,Anton incident,my son who at the time.was 8 was on my shoulders, he called terry a scummy wánker, a new age scum fan in front of me said "he hasn't been brought up very well" I replied "normally I would agree with you mate,but I've also brought him up not to tell lies". In short he's learnt all his language at LR and various away games, its football, its expected, his best effort was on Putney station after the 6-0, a young lad was jumping up and down in his green wellies saying it was the best day of his life, junior called him a 'Tarquin twát"

Wait a minute, are we not going to draw a line at an 8 year calling another kid enjoying his team's victory a tw4t now.

Poll: If you see someone filming their partner driving at 160mph.. would you

Swearing & children at LR on 22:50 - Jan 20 with 1797 viewsqueensparker

Hearing my Dad and his mates swearing at high volume was my very favourite thing about going to football when I was 5/6.

Keep it up
Swearing & children at LR on 22:50 - Jan 20 with 1620 viewsderbyhoop

At 1 time I was a steward at Derby County and, while they were still at the Baseball Ground, the end I was responsible for was a family area. These 2 blokes were swearing profusely, until I asked them to tone down their language. I'd already briefed colleagues in case they decide to whack me.
The last 15 minutes was "I don't think that decision was correct, referee" and "that was jolly close", etc. Every time they said something like that they looked at me and grinned. I'm sure they enjoyed the time not swearing.

Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the Earth all one’s lifetime. (Mark Twain) Find me on twitter @derbyhoop

Swearing & children at LR on 23:27 - Jan 20 with 1595 viewsbacardiinbrissie

I think a lot here are missing the point. Ive got 2 you sons (both R's obviously). Has anyone else on here got kids?
Have you ever sat out of sight and heard group of kids talking together. Swearing is the least of your problems to worry about.!

EDIT: NO, I dont go spying on kids & keeping out of sight...thats frowned upon..apparently
[Post edited 20 Jan 2016 23:29]
Swearing & children at LR on 00:35 - Jan 21 with 1563 viewsMichael_Hunt

Well I've been going for more years than I care to think about, and at times I've been known to go a little bit over the top.

You should've heard what I thought of quite a few players at Rotherham in the first half on Saturdy and they could certainly hear me.

However I do think that the world is trying to make us more sanitised and maybe it doesn't work.

For example when I was young the most damaging disrespect that could be aimed at someone was to call them a B'strd.

Hence the chant that was aimed at the referees

"Who's your father, who's your father , who's your father referee. You ain't got one you're a B'strd you're a B'stard referee"
Swearing & children at LR on 08:18 - Jan 21 with 1511 viewsnix

Swearing & children at LR on 18:51 - Jan 20 by YorkRanger

My two girls have been to football with me from a young age. They know right from wrong.
Most people are mindful of who is around them, but at the end of the day its football and swearing happens.

Racist language and the C word is a different matter, as is incessant bad language, but generally I've never felt the need to have a word.

This.

My boys have been hearing swearing at Rangers for years (occasionally even from their mother!)

It hasn't affected them in the least. Ive never heard them swear but I'd expect the teenager does with his mates. Their friends love coming to football cos of the banter.

I was more bothered about the coked up tosspot who squared up to me at SAR cos I said excuse me cos I wanted to get past down the row at the end of the match and gave me a little shove. Big cojones shoving middle aged women!!! Apart from that never had an issue with Rangers fans.
Swearing & children at LR on 08:50 - Jan 21 with 1490 viewsngbqpr

Interesting thread. My kids are now 21 / 17 / 12 - all have attended Rangers games pretty regularly since the age of about 5. We've never been in the family area, and have also done quite a few away matches where you can't usually choose where you sit.

I accepted they'd hear regular swearing, as did their mum - it goes with the territory. I can't see any evidence it's harmed them in any way, or made them more aggressive as individuals (at the football or away from it).

It often creates funny situations....we're in the seats at Chesterfield...Danny Shittu is sent off... whole Rangers section sings "the referee's a w@nker"....chant stops and it goes quiet...."they're right aren't they dad?" says my then 8 year old...you could hear a pin drop as everyone turns around and looks at us with a knowing grin...."the ref is a banger..."

As pointed out above, as a parent what I have had trouble dealing with is aggressive, bile-fuelled idiots, red-faced and frothing at the mouth, constantly having a go at someone, anyone (ref, oppo, our players, their fans, our own fans)...when my kids were younger I found it hard to explain to them why people felt the need to act like that (tho it has helped me in my 'dad talks drugs' routine when pointing out that the reason they shouldn't do coke is it turns you into an arseh0le) . In the 70s of course there was that sort of behaviour - but all on the terraces, and primarily on certain parts of the terraces. Parents had a choice - now we don't especially at away games.

Interesting to see people discussing the C word, and many singling it out as "worse than the rest". That's how I feel, and I cringe when I hear it being over-used by someone sat near us...or in a full on chant (I'd feel far less bothered if it was "sit down if you're a boring tw@t" for instance). However my kids tell me that for their generation it's just another swear word, no better worse, more / less used than the rest.

Poll: Best hug a stranger / fall down five rows / 'limbs' late goals this season

Swearing & children at LR on 10:15 - Jan 21 with 1452 viewsTheBlob

Football is part of your education really.As a wee catholic laddie and unused to certain terms imagine my confusion as when walking up Loftus Road one sunny saturday afternoon and hearing a supporter describe a mounted policeman...."look at the c*nt on that horse".
It's all been downhill since.

Poll: So how was the season for you?

Swearing & children at LR on 10:46 - Jan 21 with 1425 viewsBluce_Ree

I had a season ticket behind the goal, right at the top of the stand (there was a space behind us where people would stand for some reason). Anyway, the bloke in front of me would bring his little girl. He was the biggest swear merchant ever. He'd be shouting and screaming. Bigger swearer than me on here! And then he'd check on the girl to make sure she was alright or needed a drink of juice or something. Really odd contrast.

I do think people need to calm down a bit. If you're screaming 'c*nt' at a footballer then you're probably shit at being a human being but equally in the original post the bloke was taking a photo of the seat to report the guy. That's some f**king fagg0try right there. To be honest, don't bring your kid to a football match without prepping them for a bit of bad language. Is ridiculous.

It's just like the sort of dickheads who take a kid to a pub. How about you and your kid f*ck off?

Stefan Moore, Stefan Moore running down the wing. Stefan Moore, Stefan Moore running down the wing. He runs like a cheetah, his crosses couldn't be sweeter. Stefan Moore. Stefan Moore. Stefan Moore.

Swearing & children at LR on 11:18 - Jan 21 with 1393 viewsQPunkR

Swearing & children at LR on 10:46 - Jan 21 by Bluce_Ree

I had a season ticket behind the goal, right at the top of the stand (there was a space behind us where people would stand for some reason). Anyway, the bloke in front of me would bring his little girl. He was the biggest swear merchant ever. He'd be shouting and screaming. Bigger swearer than me on here! And then he'd check on the girl to make sure she was alright or needed a drink of juice or something. Really odd contrast.

I do think people need to calm down a bit. If you're screaming 'c*nt' at a footballer then you're probably shit at being a human being but equally in the original post the bloke was taking a photo of the seat to report the guy. That's some f**king fagg0try right there. To be honest, don't bring your kid to a football match without prepping them for a bit of bad language. Is ridiculous.

It's just like the sort of dickheads who take a kid to a pub. How about you and your kid f*ck off?

QPR - "shit but local"

Swearing & children at LR on 11:24 - Jan 21 with 1389 viewsWokingR

Swearing & children at LR on 11:18 - Jan 21 by QPunkR

Obviously there is an exception to every rule
Swearing & children at LR on 12:01 - Jan 21 with 1358 viewsDeepcutHoop

Swearing & children at LR on 10:46 - Jan 21 by Bluce_Ree

Taking photos of a seat is homosexual?

If you have no ability to temporarily slightly adjust your behaviour dependent on your immediate environs, you have some social issues. Just because you don't have to, doesn't mean you shouldn't.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024