Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Least Favourite Americanisms 08:55 - Nov 12 with 29296 viewsBrianMcCarthy

Noticed more than ever on last weekend's trip to Blighty that you lot have joined us in Americanaland in that you now do your shopping in a 'store' rather than a 'shop'. Now I was always thought that the store was the dingy room at the back of the shop where they actually, y'know, stored stuff. Or, more precisely, the room where the lad went for a smoke while pretending to check whether they had any spare bogroll. This pretence at looking is annoying, by the way, but it is infinitely better than you asking if they have any spare stock and him, without listening, giving you the lazy-assed automaton reply 'everything we have is on the shelves', which makes you ask him why the fugg they built the huge fugging room out back so with the price of real estate.

What reminded me of all this is that I'm in a doctor's waiting room (knee injury - nothing serious) and as every person comes to the desk and does the 'morning, how are you?' routine their standard answer is 'I'm good'. What?

Are you? Are you 'good'? Are you well-behaved? Morally sound? A beacon of goodness in this bad, bad world? Well, nice to know, I'm sure. But are you well? That, after all, is more pertinent info and would be an appropriate answer to the question while we're at it.

Good! Californian Disney Ar$e-scutter! Away with you!

"The opposite of love, after all, is not hate, but indifference."
Poll: Player of the Year (so far)

Least Favourite Americanisms on 01:39 - Jan 14 with 2054 viewsPommyhoop

Least Favourite Americanisms on 00:29 - Jan 14 by HollowayRanger

who cares end of the day they are speaking ENGLISH which is more than I can say for most of the people on my bus most mornings

I can understand them perfectly. The one at the back is all for giving JFH a fair go ,at least till the end of the season.And the one at the front wants Sir Les and JFH out and Warnock to triumphantly return.

http://cdn.meme.am/instances/250x250/55039027.jpg
Poll: How much should we sell Eze for. What will we get.

Least Favourite Americanisms on 01:46 - Jan 14 with 2050 viewsisawqpratwcity

Least Favourite Americanisms on 01:39 - Jan 14 by Pommyhoop

I can understand them perfectly. The one at the back is all for giving JFH a fair go ,at least till the end of the season.And the one at the front wants Sir Les and JFH out and Warnock to triumphantly return.

They are all complaining that Les seems to be conducting some kind of 'social experiment'. Oh, and btw, they are black, so they're not racist.
[Post edited 14 Jan 2016 2:03]

Poll: Deaths of Thatcher and Mandela this year: Sad or Glad?

Least Favourite Americanisms on 08:45 - Jan 14 with 1961 viewsHendonHoop

It makes me cringe when people say, " Can I get? " When asking for something in shops or ordering food in restaurants.
Least Favourite Americanisms on 10:43 - Jan 14 with 1924 viewsBrianMcCarthy

Least Favourite Americanisms on 00:29 - Jan 14 by HollowayRanger

who cares end of the day they are speaking ENGLISH which is more than I can say for most of the people on my bus most mornings

An Englishman saddened about people coming into another Country and not speaking the native language...there's a bit of irony for you.

"The opposite of love, after all, is not hate, but indifference."
Poll: Player of the Year (so far)

Least Favourite Americanisms on 10:43 - Jan 14 with 1921 viewswelwynranger

Which day do They put the trash out in Nor Wich
Least Favourite Americanisms on 10:47 - Jan 14 with 1913 viewsjohncharles

Least Favourite Americanisms on 10:43 - Jan 14 by welwynranger

Which day do They put the trash out in Nor Wich

Same day as Bal-Ham

Strong and stable my arse.

Least Favourite Americanisms on 11:05 - Jan 14 with 1900 viewsBluce_Ree

Probably already been said but 'could care less' irritates the living tits off of me.

Tw@ts.

Stefan Moore, Stefan Moore running down the wing. Stefan Moore, Stefan Moore running down the wing. He runs like a cheetah, his crosses couldn't be sweeter. Stefan Moore. Stefan Moore. Stefan Moore.

Least Favourite Americanisms on 11:07 - Jan 14 with 1899 viewsRickyDicky

Two I find most annoying and they are pronounciation , even by Radio and TV people, especially annoying by presenters.

Schedule being pronounced as Skedule instead of Shedule

Lieutenant being pronounced lootenant instead of Leftenant

Poll: Where will we finish next Year. Starting early.

Login to get fewer ads

Least Favourite Americanisms on 11:12 - Jan 14 with 1889 viewsisawqpratwcity

Least Favourite Americanisms on 10:43 - Jan 14 by BrianMcCarthy

An Englishman saddened about people coming into another Country and not speaking the native language...there's a bit of irony for you.

I believe the necessary sound effects here are "Whoosh!" and "Splat!".

Poll: Deaths of Thatcher and Mandela this year: Sad or Glad?

Least Favourite Americanisms on 11:17 - Jan 14 with 1853 viewsjamois

gotten

and it's been said a lot already, but math

generally though, i just view "american' as a different language, and then it troubles me not. i hear plenty of people who use other languages in their day-to-day speak, e.g. merci, or si, so I don't think we should be too precious about it.

it's not like we own the rights to 'english' - the language was invented by germanic tribes anyway. and furthermore, i hear enough so-called english people who use the language so poorly that perhaps we should start our gripe with them.

Poll: What's our back 4 for Wembley?

Least Favourite Americanisms on 11:23 - Jan 14 with 1841 viewsTacticalR

Least Favourite Americanisms on 11:07 - Jan 14 by RickyDicky

Two I find most annoying and they are pronounciation , even by Radio and TV people, especially annoying by presenters.

Schedule being pronounced as Skedule instead of Shedule

Lieutenant being pronounced lootenant instead of Leftenant

'Schedule being pronounced as Skedule instead of Shedule'

That depends on your Skool of Thought.

Air hostess clique

Least Favourite Americanisms on 12:21 - Jan 14 with 1810 viewsR_from_afar

You'll be interested to know that the insidious insertion of surplus prepositions by our American cousins continues apace, to wit:

- "Meet with"
- "Close out"
- "Stop with" ugh , that one really is a horror!

Alternatively, you won't give two hoots.

RFA

"Things had started becoming increasingly desperate at Loftus Road but QPR have been handed a massive lifeline and the place has absolutely erupted. it's carnage. It's bedlam. It's 1-1."

Least Favourite Americanisms on 12:43 - Jan 14 with 1790 viewsizlingtonhoop

Least Favourite Americanisms on 11:17 - Jan 14 by jamois

gotten

and it's been said a lot already, but math

generally though, i just view "american' as a different language, and then it troubles me not. i hear plenty of people who use other languages in their day-to-day speak, e.g. merci, or si, so I don't think we should be too precious about it.

it's not like we own the rights to 'english' - the language was invented by germanic tribes anyway. and furthermore, i hear enough so-called english people who use the language so poorly that perhaps we should start our gripe with them.

Furthermore fewer than 1 in 5 native English speakers are English (16.5% and that's the whole UK - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/English-speaking_world ) so it's gone it doesn't really 'belong' to us any longer.

Look at that article 64.3% of native English speakers are in the US. By democratic weight of numbers it could be argued that they are in charge.

It has been postulated that English has thrived because it has always been happy to absorb and adapt , whereas French, strictly controlled by an institute as it is, is a dying force as a world language.

BTW - some or all of this may be a Spackman - I can't go through the whole thread.
[Post edited 14 Jan 2016 12:44]
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024