Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Off Topic...The Clash 19:25 - Mar 8 with 9996 viewsToast_R

Were they all that?

Made some great singles in Casbah, Fought The Law and my fave Whiteman in Hammersmith Palais, but also a lot of album filling dross. Also, did they get too commercial once the Punk scene died?

I know there are some big Clash fans o here, please enlighten me.

[Post edited 8 Mar 2014 19:26]
Off Topic...The Clash on 13:33 - Apr 9 with 1711 viewsCroydonCaptJack

Off Topic...The Clash on 13:22 - Apr 9 by Toast_R

Anything but QPR at the moment which is far too depressing to dwell on...

Right I’ve listened to the London Calling album and having given it some consideration, I’ve concluded I don’t know what all the fuss is about. If Ringo wasn’t the best drummer in the Beatles, this is certainly not the best album the Clash made let alone one the greatest of all time.

London Calling, Guns of Brixton( an over self conscious reggae attempt at best) and Train in Vain aside, the rest are nothing but average album fillers. Joe Strummer not exactly blessed with a singing voice and I get that with their music you don’t have to be Freddie Mercury or nothing, but come on people. Most of the tracks on this album are instantly forgettable. Jimmy Jazz??? Ok boys keep churning them out.

Nope sorry, don’t get the hype with that album at all, other then the great cover. Very few of my favourite Clash tracks appear on it.

Now don't get me started on Jimi Hendrix and Electric Ladyland...
[Post edited 9 Apr 2014 13:23]

Music is all about opinions to be fair. It is not one of my favourite Clash albums but that would probably be Sandinista which most would rate as their worst.

As I say opinions, opinions.
Off Topic...The Clash on 13:43 - Apr 9 with 1697 viewsToast_R

Off Topic...The Clash on 13:33 - Apr 9 by CroydonCaptJack

Music is all about opinions to be fair. It is not one of my favourite Clash albums but that would probably be Sandinista which most would rate as their worst.

Your right of course, but alot of people do along with stuff that is "widely accepted as the greatest" without actually taking time to question why that might be.

Like Pele for example, retired before I was born and only seen clips of his world cup goals and audacious misses, so was he really "the greatest player the world has ever seen"?
Not in my opinion but ask any football fan and 9/10 they will says it's him because they've been told it is.
[Post edited 9 Apr 2014 13:47]
Off Topic...The Clash on 13:46 - Apr 9 with 1692 viewsMrSheen

Off Topic...The Clash on 13:22 - Apr 9 by Toast_R

Anything but QPR at the moment which is far too depressing to dwell on...

Right I’ve listened to the London Calling album and having given it some consideration, I’ve concluded I don’t know what all the fuss is about. If Ringo wasn’t the best drummer in the Beatles, this is certainly not the best album the Clash made let alone one the greatest of all time.

London Calling, Guns of Brixton( an over self conscious reggae attempt at best) and Train in Vain aside, the rest are nothing but average album fillers. Joe Strummer not exactly blessed with a singing voice and I get that with their music you don’t have to be Freddie Mercury or nothing, but come on people. Most of the tracks on this album are instantly forgettable. Jimmy Jazz??? Ok boys keep churning them out.

Nope sorry, don’t get the hype with that album at all, other then the great cover. Very few of my favourite Clash tracks appear on it.

Now don't get me started on Jimi Hendrix and Electric Ladyland...
[Post edited 9 Apr 2014 13:23]

Well spotted, Sir! That's without bringing up Joe "Mind Your Language" Strummer's embarrassing fake-Jamaican accent.
Off Topic...The Clash on 13:47 - Apr 9 with 1688 viewsCroydonCaptJack

Off Topic...The Clash on 13:43 - Apr 9 by Toast_R

Your right of course, but alot of people do along with stuff that is "widely accepted as the greatest" without actually taking time to question why that might be.

Like Pele for example, retired before I was born and only seen clips of his world cup goals and audacious misses, so was he really "the greatest player the world has ever seen"?
Not in my opinion but ask any football fan and 9/10 they will says it's him because they've been told it is.

Yes, you are right. It can be like The Emperors New Clothes a bit.
'perception is reality' as some say.
Off Topic...The Clash on 16:41 - Apr 9 with 1654 viewsizlingtonhoop

Off Topic...The Clash on 13:43 - Apr 9 by Toast_R

e.g. Sergeant Pepper is the best Beatles album.

Think so? Listen to Revolver.
Off Topic...The Clash on 23:23 - Apr 9 with 1600 viewsBluce_Ree

Off Topic...The Clash on 16:41 - Apr 9 by izlingtonhoop

e.g. Sergeant Pepper is the best Beatles album.

Think so? Listen to Revolver.

I'd rather kill myself in the face.

Stefan Moore, Stefan Moore running down the wing. Stefan Moore, Stefan Moore running down the wing. He runs like a cheetah, his crosses couldn't be sweeter. Stefan Moore. Stefan Moore. Stefan Moore.

Off Topic...The Clash on 11:18 - Apr 10 with 1546 viewsderbyhoop

The Clash were one of the first bands to explore a wide range of music and incorporate it into their albums. A mix of Rock, Ska, Jazz was very innovative at the time.

Strummer was an excellent songwriter.

Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the Earth all one’s lifetime. (Mark Twain) Find me on twitter @derbyhoop

Off Topic...The Clash on 12:22 - Apr 10 with 1528 viewsTacticalR

Noticed this on my way home yesterday

[Post edited 10 Nov 2017 16:50]

Air hostess clique

Login to get fewer ads

Off Topic...The Clash on 13:01 - Apr 10 with 1511 viewsCroydonCaptJack

When I read his biography I was surprised to learn Joe was born in Warlingham, up the road here from me Sarf of the river.
Off Topic...The Clash on 13:04 - Apr 10 with 1506 viewsizlingtonhoop

Off Topic...The Clash on 13:01 - Apr 10 by CroydonCaptJack

When I read his biography I was surprised to learn Joe was born in Warlingham, up the road here from me Sarf of the river.

So, not Turkey then?
Eh?
Off Topic...The Clash on 13:12 - Apr 10 with 1503 viewsCroydonCaptJack

Off Topic...The Clash on 13:04 - Apr 10 by izlingtonhoop

So, not Turkey then?
Eh?

There was definitely reference to him living in Warlingham but it might not have been that he was actually born there. I will have to look it up.
Off Topic...The Clash on 13:20 - Apr 10 with 1495 viewsElHoop

I think that everyone does agree that 'Cut the Crap' didn't succeed in living up to its title, but there was one really good track on it:

Off Topic...The Clash on 13:23 - Apr 10 with 1490 viewsizlingtonhoop

Tomorrow, Islington Academy
The Sex Pistols Experience, who I've seen before. They're pretty good, the young lead singer looks uncannily like Rotten.
Supported by Tommy Gun - not seen them but what can go wrong with that?
Off Topic...The Clash on 13:39 - Apr 10 with 1477 viewsMrSheen

Off Topic...The Clash on 12:22 - Apr 10 by TacticalR

Noticed this on my way home yesterday

[Post edited 10 Nov 2017 16:50]

Did he busk there, or just have a p*ss in it now and then?
Off Topic...The Clash on 13:15 - May 14 with 1375 viewsToast_R

Off Topic...The Clash on 13:33 - Apr 9 by CroydonCaptJack

I've been listening to Sandinista over the last few weeks i.e whenever I get alone time during a journey and can whack my ipod on, and I have to say, it definitly grows.

At first I thought it was a little off the wall and I couldn't work out where it was going and then I listened some more and found some true hidden gems. It's continued to grow on me and now I'm beggining to come around to the idea that it may have been their masterpiece.
Off Topic...The Clash on 13:44 - May 14 with 1368 viewsCroydonCaptJack

Off Topic...The Clash on 13:15 - May 14 by Toast_R

I've been listening to Sandinista over the last few weeks i.e whenever I get alone time during a journey and can whack my ipod on, and I have to say, it definitly grows.

At first I thought it was a little off the wall and I couldn't work out where it was going and then I listened some more and found some true hidden gems. It's continued to grow on me and now I'm beggining to come around to the idea that it may have been their masterpiece.

There is some real beauties on there Toast.
Something about England, One more time (and Dub) and The Crooked Beat are great. Then you get a track like Somebody got murdered that is more of the ;traditional' Clash sound.
Hope you continue to enjoy it mate.
Off Topic...The Clash on 14:02 - May 14 with 1354 viewssmegma

The reason the OP asks the question is ( i believe) the Clash have become deified by some people over the years and it naturally increased when Joe passed away. If you go back to 76/77 they were one of the most important bands in a long while that shook the record industry up (which was what punk appeared to be about). They not only influenced a youth movement musically but they also did politically to a generation of kids who had a future of unemployment to look forward to. A lot of people also compare them to the Pistols as they were both at the forefront of a youth phenomenon but in my opinion there is no comparison as the Clash output was far more numerically. I'm not a HUGE Clash fan but can appreciate a lot of their stuff which hasnt aged at all in my opinion. If it wasnt for the likes of them and the Pistols, Wire , Buzzcocks , 999 ,Penetration etc we'd be listening to the likes of Genesis and YES ad infinitum. And for that alone I thank them eternally.
[Post edited 14 May 2014 14:07]
Off Topic...The Clash on 16:28 - May 14 with 1332 viewsMrSheen

Off Topic...The Clash on 11:18 - Apr 10 by derbyhoop

The Clash were one of the first bands to explore a wide range of music and incorporate it into their albums. A mix of Rock, Ska, Jazz was very innovative at the time.

Strummer was an excellent songwriter.

Bands were doing that at Butlins long before The Clash came along.
Off Topic...The Clash on 17:16 - May 14 with 1324 viewsCroydonCaptJack

Off Topic...The Clash on 16:28 - May 14 by MrSheen

Bands were doing that at Butlins long before The Clash came along.

I am not sure many of the Butlins artists got to actually record an album!
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024