Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Anyone been on National Driver Awareness course - need advice if you have please. 13:29 - Sep 8 with 7399 viewsHAYESBOY

Got caught doing 37 in a 30 (Oxford Road in Uxb/Denham so watch out if you use this road as they were still there at 9pm one night a couple of days ago) the other week and have just had my offer to go on a course.

Normally no problem but i have had to take holidays this year for personal reasons and a couple of days unpaid on top when my hols ran out.
There are times offered from 5pm but would still mean leaving work early by at least an hour and a half.
Work havent been that understanding with my extra days off so are unlikely to be pleased in me asking for a couple of hours off one day for a driver aware course.

The document states i have to take the course by DEC 11.
Has anyone had experience of asking for date later than stated?

It would solve my problem if i could take the course in Jan or even between Xmas and New Year.

I havent phoned them up yet to ask but just wondered if anyone has had any experince of this.

Thanks for any help.

Smells like a trout farm in here

Anyone been on National Driver Awareness course - need advice if you have please. on 13:40 - Sep 8 with 6304 viewsWeAreQPR12

Apparently it's ment to be an ok course. I don't know how flexible they are but it would be worth giving them a call. I'd expect it will be you and 50 other boy racers so seems a bit harsh on you, but I guess it's worth it not to get pt's on your licience allbeit if it's your 1st 3 pts I would suggest you ditch the idea about the course as 3 pts does nothing to your insurance. If you have more than 3 it's well worth doing it/
Anyone been on National Driver Awareness course - need advice if you have please. on 14:10 - Sep 8 with 6284 viewsQPR_Jim

I've been on it. Not sure how flexible they are with the dates but asking them would be the first step.

As for the course, it's not a complete waste of time you will probably learn a few things but ultimately i found it a bit pointless. The room were basically giving answers that the guys wanted to hear, some ridiculous answers were coming out at which point i stopped paying attention. The bits where the instructors were speaking weren't too bad, but there's nothing there that will change attitudes that much hence pointless.
Anyone been on National Driver Awareness course - need advice if you have please. on 16:01 - Sep 8 with 6224 viewsMrSheen

My wife went and was really affected by it. She keeps telling me to slow down when I'm driving now. Be patient if you're stuck behind her, please.
Anyone been on National Driver Awareness course - need advice if you have please. on 16:36 - Sep 8 with 6198 viewsessextaxiboy

Ive done one ,
Caught in the Limehouse Link tunnel . I did it in Bromley . I dont think you will have much joy extending the deadline .
Its done by driving instructors who are drunk with their own power on the day , First part is a virtual drive where you get an assessment of your speed and distance to the car in front it doesnt matter how you do its just for info (I was a bit quick but left a bigger than needed gap ) then a discussion .
Then a few videos to scare you a bit more chat then off .

Some people were a bit gobby which was amusing .

DONT BE LATE !!
I know of two people whe were on courses where someone turned up literally 30 secs late and was refused entry copping the points and fine , and dont forget your ID . If they cant prove thats its you taking the course they will take great delight in sending you away .

Have a great day !
Anyone been on National Driver Awareness course - need advice if you have please. on 16:45 - Sep 8 with 6180 viewsDaiHo0p

My friend turned up at one and when asked why she was there she said she didn't know why as she thought she was pretty good at speeding and didn't need re training...
Anyone been on National Driver Awareness course - need advice if you have please. on 16:48 - Sep 8 with 6176 viewsjohnhoop

You have my sympathy over the place you got caught-it's just a total scam for ripping off motorists.Previously a 4 lane road as you come off the Denham roundabout with a 50mph limit,they reduced the lanes and the limit to 30mph after the pedestrian overpass collapsed and was replaced by zebra crossing.It's difficult enough to keep to 30 if you're prepared for it,but if you're not aware of it you're almost certain to get done.They must be raking in thousands from it every week.
Anyone been on National Driver Awareness course - need advice if you have please. on 17:07 - Sep 8 with 6156 viewsWrittler

Anyone been on National Driver Awareness course - need advice if you have please. on 16:48 - Sep 8 by johnhoop

You have my sympathy over the place you got caught-it's just a total scam for ripping off motorists.Previously a 4 lane road as you come off the Denham roundabout with a 50mph limit,they reduced the lanes and the limit to 30mph after the pedestrian overpass collapsed and was replaced by zebra crossing.It's difficult enough to keep to 30 if you're prepared for it,but if you're not aware of it you're almost certain to get done.They must be raking in thousands from it every week.

Flexible they are not. Our friend had just had a baby and hubby had used up all holiday as extra paternity leave - work refused him more time off and they told her that she had to attend or get the points. He threw a sickie in the end to look after baby...
Anyone been on National Driver Awareness course - need advice if you have please. on 19:59 - Sep 8 with 6060 viewsHAYESBOY

Thanks for the replies.

I have no points on my licence. I do want to take the course though.

Obviously will call them Monday to see if i can move the date to attend.

Otherwise its ask work to leave early one day.

I would like to know where they got me as was mentioned, there are 3 limits on that road, max speed limit from the roundabout, then about 200-300yards of 40 mph and then down to 30 mph into Uxbridge.

Best one for me seems to be at Burnham.

Just looking a bit further on some of the venue's. Bracknell & Guilford do Saturday courses so will probably go that route.

[Post edited 1 Jan 1970 1:00]

Login to get fewer ads

Anyone been on National Driver Awareness course - need advice if you have please. on 21:04 - Sep 8 with 6015 viewsGloryHunter

There was a previous thread on this very topic - with one very amusing post from Bluce-Ree.

http://www.fansnetwork.co.uk/football/queensparkrangers/fb_mb.php?m=v&t=56420#40

Anyone been on National Driver Awareness course - need advice if you have please. on 22:41 - Sep 8 with 5963 viewsderbyhoop

Just done one. It does open your eyes to how much you are out of current thinking/traffic regulations since taking the test. But, I doubt it will change the way I drive very much. I've probably done 200,000 miles in the last 10 years and balance of probability says I was due.

Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the Earth all one’s lifetime. (Mark Twain) Find me on twitter @derbyhoop

Anyone been on National Driver Awareness course - need advice if you have please. on 23:20 - Sep 8 with 5938 viewsTearsOfaClown

I did mine yesterday in Kent.

Best £80 I have spent in a long time. Realised that there is much I forgot since passing in 1976, and a lot I did not know.

It is all about changing your attitude, understanding how a going just 3 miles too fast can cause major damage.

Wish everyone did this course every 10 years to make driving safer.
Anyone been on National Driver Awareness course - need advice if you have please. on 23:38 - Sep 8 with 5927 viewsTacticalR

Anyone been on National Driver Awareness course - need advice if you have please. on 16:36 - Sep 8 by essextaxiboy

Ive done one ,
Caught in the Limehouse Link tunnel . I did it in Bromley . I dont think you will have much joy extending the deadline .
Its done by driving instructors who are drunk with their own power on the day , First part is a virtual drive where you get an assessment of your speed and distance to the car in front it doesnt matter how you do its just for info (I was a bit quick but left a bigger than needed gap ) then a discussion .
Then a few videos to scare you a bit more chat then off .

Some people were a bit gobby which was amusing .

DONT BE LATE !!
I know of two people whe were on courses where someone turned up literally 30 secs late and was refused entry copping the points and fine , and dont forget your ID . If they cant prove thats its you taking the course they will take great delight in sending you away .

Have a great day !

If people are being fined for being 30 seconds late that implies that there are targets to make sure a certain amount of people fail, thus 'proving' that everyone is doing their jobs properly and that the system is working.

Air hostess clique

Anyone been on National Driver Awareness course - need advice if you have please. on 12:14 - Sep 9 with 5844 viewsTearsOfaClown

OK so you were only doing 38mph . . . what if you had to brake. What id the difference in the stopping distance between driving at 30mph and 38mph?
Stopping distance is your thinking and braking distance added.

3 car lengths.

So you hit the car or person in front at 38mph or have 3 car lengths grace at 30.

Do the course and be a better driver.
Anyone been on National Driver Awareness course - need advice if you have please. on 13:13 - Sep 9 with 5827 viewsJuzzie

Whether in my car on on my motorbike I always leave the appropriate stopping distance between me and the vehicle in front but regularly some fukker jumps into that gap (usually undertaking me) which then puts the onus on me to leave the appropriate gap again only for someone else to do the same. And on it goes.

So, I end up driving close to the vehicle in front not because I have no awareness of safety but if I don't I''ll never get to my destination.

People who undertake, jump into those safety gaps, can't understand which lane they are in, be in the left lane then cut across two lanes to turn right (and vice versa), look at their phone while they hold it in their lap thinking no one can see when it's plainly obvious what they are doing, tail-gate, change lanes at the last second without indicating etc etc should all go on driving awareness courses.

This is what causes accidents, not doing 3pm over the limit.

Anyone been on National Driver Awareness course - need advice if you have please. on 13:47 - Sep 9 with 5813 viewsHAYESBOY

Anyone been on National Driver Awareness course - need advice if you have please. on 12:14 - Sep 9 by TearsOfaClown

OK so you were only doing 38mph . . . what if you had to brake. What id the difference in the stopping distance between driving at 30mph and 38mph?
Stopping distance is your thinking and braking distance added.

3 car lengths.

So you hit the car or person in front at 38mph or have 3 car lengths grace at 30.

Do the course and be a better driver.

Calm down mate. I am not complaining about doing the course, i know i was in the wrong.

My question was regarding the cut off date to do the course and to see if it could be extended.

I have now found two places that do courses on Saturday.

Anyone been on National Driver Awareness course - need advice if you have please. on 14:12 - Sep 9 with 5797 viewsTearsOfaClown

Anyone been on National Driver Awareness course - need advice if you have please. on 13:47 - Sep 9 by HAYESBOY

Calm down mate. I am not complaining about doing the course, i know i was in the wrong.

My question was regarding the cut off date to do the course and to see if it could be extended.

I have now found two places that do courses on Saturday.

I was making this point to the other responses regarding speed, as that was what concerned me.

It really surprised me how much I had forgotten and my attitude I needed to change.

What causes accidents is simple - people - but we can change our attitude.
Anyone been on National Driver Awareness course - need advice if you have please. on 14:28 - Sep 9 with 5794 viewsWatfordR

Anyone been on National Driver Awareness course - need advice if you have please. on 14:12 - Sep 9 by TearsOfaClown

I was making this point to the other responses regarding speed, as that was what concerned me.

It really surprised me how much I had forgotten and my attitude I needed to change.

What causes accidents is simple - people - but we can change our attitude.

When active speed cameras are set up every hundred yards or so down every road and street in the land, I will be convinced that our authorities give two fcks about adjusting everyone's attitude to speed limits.

Whilst speed traps are set up randomly at all different hours of the day and night and without any warning along stretches of road with no history of vehicle related accidents, I will be convinced that all that is going on is revenue collection dressed up as road safety.
Anyone been on National Driver Awareness course - need advice if you have please. on 20:19 - Sep 9 with 5751 viewsGloryHunter

Anyone been on National Driver Awareness course - need advice if you have please. on 14:28 - Sep 9 by WatfordR

When active speed cameras are set up every hundred yards or so down every road and street in the land, I will be convinced that our authorities give two fcks about adjusting everyone's attitude to speed limits.

Whilst speed traps are set up randomly at all different hours of the day and night and without any warning along stretches of road with no history of vehicle related accidents, I will be convinced that all that is going on is revenue collection dressed up as road safety.

Hear hear
Anyone been on National Driver Awareness course - need advice if you have please. on 09:18 - Sep 10 with 5670 viewsjonno

Anyone been on National Driver Awareness course - need advice if you have please. on 14:28 - Sep 9 by WatfordR

Quite true. But of course, if you keep to the speed limit you will never have a problem.
Anyone been on National Driver Awareness course - need advice if you have please. on 09:56 - Sep 10 with 5658 viewsWatfordR

Anyone been on National Driver Awareness course - need advice if you have please. on 09:18 - Sep 10 by jonno

Quite true. But of course, if you keep to the speed limit you will never have a problem.

Why should the same speed limit apply on a stretch of road at ALL times? Does the same danger or risk exist on a road outside a primary school at 7am as exists at between 8.30-9.30am for example?

And if the answer to that is "No", why are hand held speed traps being set up to fine drivers doing 36-40mph in such an area at 7am in the morning?
Anyone been on National Driver Awareness course - need advice if you have please. on 12:36 - Sep 10 with 5606 viewswestolian

Anyone been on National Driver Awareness course - need advice if you have please. on 21:04 - Sep 8 by GloryHunter

There was a previous thread on this very topic - with one very amusing post from Bluce-Ree.

http://www.fansnetwork.co.uk/football/queensparkrangers/fb_mb.php?m=v&t=56420#40

I'm sorry, but i read this and absolutely pished myself.

"Imagine some c*nts. Well that's the speed camera people.

I've had two in the last three years. 38 and 36mph. Oh f*ck off! Both of them on p1ss-poor signed roads which felt like 40mph ones.

So, for the second one I went on a speed awareness course. Bunch of surly c*nts sat there for SIX HOURS on a Saturday with no refreshments provided and we're a million miles from any shops. C*nts. After that bullshit we then have to go driving with some instructor c*nts. I'm in some guy's car - a fking hairdresser's piece of shit car - and he's telling me to drive around in third (like a c*nt) as that makes driving at 30mph feel really natural. Whatever you massive paedophile. It makes it easy for you to cruise by schools. C*nt.

He gets me to drive around and because we're in the middle of fcking nowhere, it's all country lanes and shit. There's no traffic or anything and I'm pootling around at 30 like some sort of b*stard. It's AGONY. I accidentally relax and I'm doing like 32 and he goes 'woah' like the f*cking HORSE MOLESTING C*NT that he is. F*ck my life. After five minutes of this fcking bullshit I've got a queue of like seven cars behind me getting pissed off. He's like 'ignore them and stick with 30 mph' like some sort of horrific nazi. For the next twenty minutes they, and I, are apoplectic with rage because IT IS IMPOSSIBLE TO DRIVE AT 30 MPH. THIS IS WHY NO-ONE WANTS TO DO IT.

I'm dying of fking shame incase someone thinks I'm the fking Josef Fritzl 30 MPH c*nt and not this stamp-collecting c0ckholder who probably has his mother's fcking sp*nk-riddled corpse in the boot. Eventually I'm let out of this fcking Fritzl-basement-on-wheels and allowed back into my car which by now feels like the sweet, sweet thrillride I've always wanted.

Did I speed home? Yes. I was so wound up at having to spend my whole Saturday doing this bullshit that I'd have quite happily done 100MPH through a fcking nursing home at that point."

I've found a team sheet for the weekend - anyone interested ?

Anyone been on National Driver Awareness course - need advice if you have please. on 12:57 - Sep 10 with 5579 viewswestberksr

Mark

did it a couple of weeks ago and the course content is dictated by the force doing the training. I did Thames Valley as I think you will; run by an external trainer who was a really pleasant guy; thought he was quite witty (he wasn't) but certainly none of the condescending shite some others have suffered.

no vvanky simulated driving and highlighted a few things that 27 years of driving might have blurred around the edges. So a Saturday it is for you then; I've had worse afternoons at HQ than that particular afternoon!
Anyone been on National Driver Awareness course - need advice if you have please. on 13:12 - Sep 10 with 5568 viewsHAYESBOY

Anyone been on National Driver Awareness course - need advice if you have please. on 12:57 - Sep 10 by westberksr

Mark

did it a couple of weeks ago and the course content is dictated by the force doing the training. I did Thames Valley as I think you will; run by an external trainer who was a really pleasant guy; thought he was quite witty (he wasn't) but certainly none of the condescending shite some others have suffered.

no vvanky simulated driving and highlighted a few things that 27 years of driving might have blurred around the edges. So a Saturday it is for you then; I've had worse afternoons at HQ than that particular afternoon!

Cheers Stuart,

Booked in for Oct 13th at Bracknell.

See how it goes.

Anyone been on National Driver Awareness course - need advice if you have please. on 14:51 - Sep 10 with 5529 viewsTearsOfaClown

Anyone been on National Driver Awareness course - need advice if you have please. on 12:36 - Sep 10 by westolian

I'm sorry, but i read this and absolutely pished myself.

"Imagine some c*nts. Well that's the speed camera people.

I've had two in the last three years. 38 and 36mph. Oh f*ck off! Both of them on p1ss-poor signed roads which felt like 40mph ones.

So, for the second one I went on a speed awareness course. Bunch of surly c*nts sat there for SIX HOURS on a Saturday with no refreshments provided and we're a million miles from any shops. C*nts. After that bullshit we then have to go driving with some instructor c*nts. I'm in some guy's car - a fking hairdresser's piece of shit car - and he's telling me to drive around in third (like a c*nt) as that makes driving at 30mph feel really natural. Whatever you massive paedophile. It makes it easy for you to cruise by schools. C*nt.

He gets me to drive around and because we're in the middle of fcking nowhere, it's all country lanes and shit. There's no traffic or anything and I'm pootling around at 30 like some sort of b*stard. It's AGONY. I accidentally relax and I'm doing like 32 and he goes 'woah' like the f*cking HORSE MOLESTING C*NT that he is. F*ck my life. After five minutes of this fcking bullshit I've got a queue of like seven cars behind me getting pissed off. He's like 'ignore them and stick with 30 mph' like some sort of horrific nazi. For the next twenty minutes they, and I, are apoplectic with rage because IT IS IMPOSSIBLE TO DRIVE AT 30 MPH. THIS IS WHY NO-ONE WANTS TO DO IT.

I'm dying of fking shame incase someone thinks I'm the fking Josef Fritzl 30 MPH c*nt and not this stamp-collecting c0ckholder who probably has his mother's fcking sp*nk-riddled corpse in the boot. Eventually I'm let out of this fcking Fritzl-basement-on-wheels and allowed back into my car which by now feels like the sweet, sweet thrillride I've always wanted.

Did I speed home? Yes. I was so wound up at having to spend my whole Saturday doing this bullshit that I'd have quite happily done 100MPH through a fcking nursing home at that point."

If someone close to you is hit by a car - I take it you will not be asking what speed they were doing - as you think speed has nothing to do with accidents, fair enough?

Anyone been on National Driver Awareness course - need advice if you have please. on 15:13 - Sep 10 with 5516 viewsWatfordR

Anyone been on National Driver Awareness course - need advice if you have please. on 14:51 - Sep 10 by TearsOfaClown

If someone close to you is hit by a car - I take it you will not be asking what speed they were doing - as you think speed has nothing to do with accidents, fair enough?

There's two issues here. One, where people drive recklessly and cause loss of life or injury to themselves and others, which I don't think anyone is actually condoning. And the other, where the police are setting up speed traps at times and in locations where there is virtually no risk to anyone by exceeding the speed limit by 5-10mph, in some cases maybe even by a little more.

There is little doubt from my experience (and I'm doing in excess of 30,000 miles per annum for my work), and that of other people I have spoken to who use the road to drive as part of their work, that in certain jurisdictions, there has been a drastic recent increase in random speed traps being set up. And at a time where the police are consistently complaining about having to make cuts in staffing due to the austerity measures, perhaps it isn't unreasonable to question whether there is a link between the two.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024