Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Drivers in Italy 22:46 - Aug 15 with 1378 viewsRANGERS4EVER

Im staying in a great apartment in Lake Como and the scenery is beautiful, but every time you enter a car you are risking your life! No offence to any Italians on this site but they are bloody dangerous ! Motorcyclists taking over you on a corner ' cars over taking you and speeding ! No thankyou's if you let them out and doing what they want whenever they want! Im really enjoying it here but the Italian style is really f***ing bugging me

Other than that its been a great holiday

Poll: Who would you most like to see at QPR?

Drivers in Italy on 23:05 - Aug 15 with 1350 viewscalders

Done it a few years ago, drove through to Switzerland for a few days then done lake Como and lake Garda, know what you mean about the driving, you've just got to match them at there own game.
Drivers in Italy on 23:08 - Aug 15 with 1343 viewsBasingstokeR

Most stressful part of my Honeymoon last summer was driving out of Milan (to Viareggio): as you said mopeds / motorbikes overtaking and undertaking you simultaneously. Was mildy terrifying.

Also I seem to remember they have a different way of trying to get you out the way on the fast lane of their AutoStradas - indicate to the left beyond the fast lane constantly (rather than flash the full beams).

Amazing country though, love it.
Drivers in Italy on 23:14 - Aug 15 with 1337 viewsPutneyHoop

There aggresive driving style is the reason they produce the best supercars. Driving fast is fun, although driving recklessly is silly. Italy sounds great. Envious
Drivers in Italy on 23:15 - Aug 15 with 1334 viewsted_hendrix

When In Rome and all that;

I go to Italy at least once a Year, we used to drive from either one of the Rome airports and we've tried Pisa airport a few times, It's pointless trying to understand Italian drivers they do what they wan't so you're just gonna have to put up with It.

Here's a couple of useless tips; On zebra crossings pedestrians don't have the right of way so if you stop to let someone cross you'll get both barrels from the blokio driving behind you; If you are using Fiumicino airport (one of the Rome airports) when you fly back be careful if you stop in a lay-by to the North of Rome as there was a spate of violent robberies carried out on mainly tourists, we only found this out as the Carabinieri had put notices up in laybys and rest areas.

Apart from that have a nice holiday.

Ciao.

My Father had a profound influence on me, he was a lunatic.

Drivers in Italy on 23:20 - Aug 15 with 1328 viewsRANGERS4EVER

Drivers in Italy on 23:15 - Aug 15 by ted_hendrix

When In Rome and all that;

I go to Italy at least once a Year, we used to drive from either one of the Rome airports and we've tried Pisa airport a few times, It's pointless trying to understand Italian drivers they do what they wan't so you're just gonna have to put up with It.

Here's a couple of useless tips; On zebra crossings pedestrians don't have the right of way so if you stop to let someone cross you'll get both barrels from the blokio driving behind you; If you are using Fiumicino airport (one of the Rome airports) when you fly back be careful if you stop in a lay-by to the North of Rome as there was a spate of violent robberies carried out on mainly tourists, we only found this out as the Carabinieri had put notices up in laybys and rest areas.

Apart from that have a nice holiday.

Ciao.

Thanks for the advice , i have realised the zebra crossing thing , i let someone go and the guy beeped behind me and then i went to cross it and had to step back because they didnt stop for me . I was angry on the first day but now i just have gotten used to it

Poll: Who would you most like to see at QPR?

Drivers in Italy on 23:34 - Aug 15 with 1310 viewsHayesender

On my first visit to Italy back in 89, I was stood waiting to cross at a zebra crossing for what seemed like a week before I realised no cnt was gonna stop.

Still as has been said, great country to visit!

Poll: Shamima Beghum

Drivers in Italy on 23:41 - Aug 15 with 1299 viewsMonahoop

Love Italy and am a massive fan of Italian food, but yes the driving there leaves a lot to be desired. Tail gating, undertaking, excessive speeding, indicating is for wimps and overtaking on blind bends or brows of hills, yep, I've been subjected to all these dubious traits of Mr and Mrs Italian motorist on visits there. This madness not only applies to car drivers, the scooterists are complete law unto themselves. Strangely I found motorcyclists [ on proper bikes] most civil of all road users there.
Spanish drivers are pretty loopy too and I've heard that Greek drivers are the worst in Europe. Can anyone verify this?

Lake Garda and Lake Como are great locations. Might explore Tuscany in the next year or two. Last month I was in Rome. Great place, but didn't drive there, thank god. Traffic lights or pedestrian crossings need not exist in the Roman road users handbook. You need your wits about you when crossing a road. I used public transport when there. At least your survival chances are higher using this than they would be by driving a car there.

There aint half been some clever bastards.

Drivers in Italy on 23:49 - Aug 15 with 1289 viewsSpaghetti_Hoops

Several holidays spent driving in the Dolomites, Amalfi Coast etc. They are very good at judging whether you can pass each other on narrow roads. Though from the scraped and dented sides of Fiats not always perfect.

All things considered I would rather drive on their roads with them, than here.

Login to get fewer ads

Drivers in Italy on 00:07 - Aug 16 with 1267 viewslankylancaster

If you want to see some proper Italian driving then go to Naples. Took a taxi from the airport to the city centre once and it was both the most thrilling and shit-scary thing I've ever done. The idea of roads having lanes is non existant - if there's a gap then you have to just go for it! Didn't help that I speak Italian, so the driver was chatting to me the whole way and hardly ever had his eye on the actual road. But then that doesn't matter according to them - there's a reason that all cars are fitted with bumpers....
Drivers in Italy on 00:12 - Aug 16 with 1265 viewsted_hendrix

Drivers in Italy on 23:41 - Aug 15 by Monahoop

Love Italy and am a massive fan of Italian food, but yes the driving there leaves a lot to be desired. Tail gating, undertaking, excessive speeding, indicating is for wimps and overtaking on blind bends or brows of hills, yep, I've been subjected to all these dubious traits of Mr and Mrs Italian motorist on visits there. This madness not only applies to car drivers, the scooterists are complete law unto themselves. Strangely I found motorcyclists [ on proper bikes] most civil of all road users there.
Spanish drivers are pretty loopy too and I've heard that Greek drivers are the worst in Europe. Can anyone verify this?

Lake Garda and Lake Como are great locations. Might explore Tuscany in the next year or two. Last month I was in Rome. Great place, but didn't drive there, thank god. Traffic lights or pedestrian crossings need not exist in the Roman road users handbook. You need your wits about you when crossing a road. I used public transport when there. At least your survival chances are higher using this than they would be by driving a car there.

Objection your honour.

The sound of the Italian scooter is an inherent part of Italian culture, almost as important as the Sistine Chapel and the Umbrian sausage.

My Father had a profound influence on me, he was a lunatic.

Drivers in Italy on 00:53 - Aug 16 with 1250 viewsSonofNorfolt

If you think the Wops are bad, go to Portugal.
Drivers in Italy on 08:34 - Aug 16 with 1176 viewsreal_loftus

Drivers in Italy on 00:53 - Aug 16 by SonofNorfolt

If you think thats bad, try the centre of Brussels...

I dont think it matters where you are, they all have their issues. The Germans and their pant wetting Autobahns (200mph Porsche's come up very quickly in your rear view mirror), the Greeks with their lack of driving ability, the French with their potholes, the Belgians with their "give way to joining traffic", the Dutch with their give way to bikes....they've all got something we're not used to.

ATAF

ATAF.

Drivers in Italy on 08:43 - Aug 16 with 1168 viewshopphoops

Lived in Rome for years but only drove there a few times. The only way is to ignore everyone and everything around you, find your line and go for it. though I did cut the same woman up twice in one day, once in the morning and once in the afternoon in different places, she couldn't believe it

most important, if they flash the lights it doesn't mean 'after you' but 'I'm coming through and I will mow you down without even noticing'.

A magnificent football club, the love of our lives, finding a way to finally have its day in the sun.
Poll: When will the next election date be announced?

Drivers in Italy on 08:47 - Aug 16 with 1158 viewsWrittler

Drivers in Italy on 08:34 - Aug 16 by real_loftus

If you think thats bad, try the centre of Brussels...

I dont think it matters where you are, they all have their issues. The Germans and their pant wetting Autobahns (200mph Porsche's come up very quickly in your rear view mirror), the Greeks with their lack of driving ability, the French with their potholes, the Belgians with their "give way to joining traffic", the Dutch with their give way to bikes....they've all got something we're not used to.

ATAF

Well if you think they are bad I give you East Ham/Manor Park/Forest Gate....
Drivers in Italy on 09:02 - Aug 16 with 1130 viewsMonahoop

Anyone visiting Ireland in a car should witness the Co. Donegal driving experience. Anywhere in Ireland is bad, but Donegal is something else. Even the Italians would be proud.

There aint half been some clever bastards.

Drivers in Italy on 09:20 - Aug 16 with 1111 viewsballbag

THIS.
Drivers in Italy on 09:27 - Aug 16 with 1102 viewsBluce_Ree

Drivers in Italy can literally go f*ck my dad.

REASON:

I went to Rome about two or three years back (lovely place, I recommend it). Coach company got shut down that day for health and safety issues and so we had to get a f*cking cab from the airport.

Oh f*cking hell, Lord.

The insane motherf*cker drove like he was outrunning the police. I've never seen such absolutely mental driving. Insanely risky and aggressive and yet far too casual (albeit with lots of swearing).

Weaving in and out of traffic on the motorway at literally insane speeds. I thought, no scrap that, I KNEW I was going to die. I'm sat there in the back holding hands with the missus f*cking shitting myself. Shitting myself deluxe.

Eventually we get to our hotel and I was shaking and stumbled out of the car. Into my hotel. Went out for a couple of hours but I was f*cked so got back to the hotel for a quick nap. Woke up 13 hours later.

C*ntissimo, frankly.

Stefan Moore, Stefan Moore running down the wing. Stefan Moore, Stefan Moore running down the wing. He runs like a cheetah, his crosses couldn't be sweeter. Stefan Moore. Stefan Moore. Stefan Moore.

Drivers in Italy on 09:30 - Aug 16 with 1099 viewsericgen34

I drive in Italy a lot. Just back from a week in Naples. I feel safer driving over there than round here in southern France

One important rule is that if a car behind you flash you, it's not to shout at you, just to ask you to let them pass. It works really well on motorways and little lanes
Drivers in Italy on 11:12 - Aug 16 with 1047 viewsBrightonhoop

You just have to get used to doing things there way and drive like a lunatic too. Somehow they all manage to get out of the way, or get past you. Offer no politeness and take nothing for granted, grit your teeth, grip the steering wheel, smile insanely and floor the pedal!
Drivers in Italy on 11:21 - Aug 16 with 1033 viewshopphoops

I got a taxi in Lisbon, the driver was terrifying and looked about 15. After he answered his iphone on the go, i noticed his screensaver was a pic of the car's speedometer at about 220kph...

A magnificent football club, the love of our lives, finding a way to finally have its day in the sun.
Poll: When will the next election date be announced?

Drivers in Italy on 12:59 - Aug 16 with 1002 viewsR_from_afar

Drivers in Italy on 23:41 - Aug 15 by Monahoop

Crete offers the tourist some memorable driving "experiences". It boasts what The Rough Guide claims is Europe's most dangerous road, a "motorway" - the only one they have on the island, as I recall - which must also be the only straight, (reasonably) wide and well surfaced road on the whole island. It's roughly 3.5 cars wide but officially single carriageway. The locals roar up behind you and expect you to pull over so you are straddling the hard shoulder. All well and good until someone does the same thing coming the other way

Worse still is the road which goes down to Frangokastello, in the south. It's steep and twisty but not ridiculously so and it is very well surfaced - but only down the centre. So, you have a major road with a one vehicle wide strip of super smooth tarmac down the middle, with unsurfaced strips on either side. Novel, and interesting when a coach is coming towards you....

RFA

"Things had started becoming increasingly desperate at Loftus Road but QPR have been handed a massive lifeline and the place has absolutely erupted. it's carnage. It's bedlam. It's 1-1."

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024