Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Nrl 2024 07:04 - Jan 11 with 3241 viewsQPerthR

The only two teams I support and one of those is the Wests Tigers … The similarities are crazy , I don’t think we have both won on the same weekend in two years …

Will it work this year . If anyone plays SuperCoach maybe a small league
Nrl 2024 on 07:05 - Jan 11 with 3039 viewsNorthernr

I suspect over the next few years Wests are going to do and find what the Bulldogs have done and found, and also what we say about QPR. Doesn't matter how many head coaches and players you change and sign, if your culture is rotten you don't go anywhere.
Nrl 2024 on 07:21 - Jan 11 with 3005 viewsSydneyRs

My team Souths seriously underperformed last season and something did not seem right in the camp. No way that squad should have been missing the finals. We'll see if there's any improvement in 2024.

Wests now have that fine upstanding character Jerome Luai leading their charge for glory. Brisbane will be hard to stop this year I'd say.
Nrl 2024 on 11:33 - Jan 11 with 2866 viewsMrSheen

Wests fans seem to hate their management and board more than anyone. Good contest between them, the Dogs and St George for the title of worst-run club. I see the Dragons’ new half back failed his medical. I’m sorry Welsby won’t be playing in the NRL, but he’s probably better avoiding that place.
Nrl 2024 on 11:51 - Jan 11 with 2859 viewsNorthernr

I fancy Dom Young to be some signing for the Roosters. Needs to improve defensively but Christ he's got everything else.
Nrl 2024 on 12:08 - Jan 11 with 2839 viewsDiscodroids

The Green Machine to finish in their standard 6-8th place and get knocked out in the first or second round of the finals. The 2019 Grand final against the Roosters , when imo we were robbed, seems a lifetime ago.

losing jack wighton to the souths is a massive blow but looking forward to seeing Morgan Smithies continue the tradition of excellent English players at Canberra. Pleased we missed oiut on jerome lui, don't want him at canberra. We have a cracking young prospect Ethan strange at number 6 this year who won state of origin under-19 player of the series.

No Experianced full back and it looks as if we will be kicking off with chevy stuart, rickys son there who has a huge reputation as a baller but our decent forward pack , Centers and ricky Stuarts unhinged management, should see us just over the line for finals footy for the 5th time in the last 6 seasons.

One from Penrith ,Bronco's , Storm and outsiders Parramatta to top the table. Newcastle to have a good season also. oblivion for St George . NRL Love it!
[Post edited 11 Jan 12:18]

".... You are the... Duke of New York... You're A-Number One!".

Nrl 2024 on 12:29 - Jan 11 with 2796 viewsnadera78

Nrl 2024 on 07:21 - Jan 11 by SydneyRs

My team Souths seriously underperformed last season and something did not seem right in the camp. No way that squad should have been missing the finals. We'll see if there's any improvement in 2024.

Wests now have that fine upstanding character Jerome Luai leading their charge for glory. Brisbane will be hard to stop this year I'd say.

Up the Bunnies!

I'm always confident for a good year ahead, it's the joy of pre-season. The impact of losing Reynolds was greater than expected last year tbh, and I think the club expected the youngsters to fill the gap before they were really ready. They're a year older and wiser now. Wighton is a good acquisition in the backs too. They'll be there or thereabouts.
Nrl 2024 on 10:25 - Jan 12 with 2703 viewsSydneyRs

Nrl 2024 on 12:29 - Jan 11 by nadera78

Up the Bunnies!

I'm always confident for a good year ahead, it's the joy of pre-season. The impact of losing Reynolds was greater than expected last year tbh, and I think the club expected the youngsters to fill the gap before they were really ready. They're a year older and wiser now. Wighton is a good acquisition in the backs too. They'll be there or thereabouts.

Watching Reynolds playing so well for Brisbane was somewhat sickening. A tremendous player when fit and instrumental in winning the comp in 2014. He was sensational all through that finals series.

What sort of attitude and size Latrell returns with will be important, huge player when he's in form.
Nrl 2024 on 10:37 - Jan 12 with 2685 viewsozexile

Nrl 2024 on 11:33 - Jan 11 by MrSheen

Wests fans seem to hate their management and board more than anyone. Good contest between them, the Dogs and St George for the title of worst-run club. I see the Dragons’ new half back failed his medical. I’m sorry Welsby won’t be playing in the NRL, but he’s probably better avoiding that place.

Poor Benji. I know he's a Tigers legend but if he's planning on a long coaching career he shouldn't start at the Tigers.
Login to get fewer ads

Nrl 2024 on 10:56 - Jan 17 with 2552 viewsMrSheen

For the first time in 15 years, I’m facing an NRL season without a funny podcast to feed me scandals and rumours (and jokes about the AFL). Any suggestions gratefully received, preferably unconnected to Fox/Channel 9/2GB/TripleM, etc.
Nrl 2024 on 06:17 - Apr 6 with 1778 viewsSuffolkHoop

Warriors decked in blue and white hoops, away in Sydney tearing the bunnies a new one.
Nrl 2024 on 12:14 - Apr 18 with 1565 viewsSuffolkHoop

How good is the NRL this season?

Munster may have just cost Melbourne this game with a moment of madness…
Nrl 2024 on 12:42 - Apr 18 with 1520 viewsSuffolkHoop

Nrl 2024 on 12:14 - Apr 18 by SuffolkHoop

How good is the NRL this season?

Munster may have just cost Melbourne this game with a moment of madness…

Aged well.
Nrl 2024 on 07:03 - Jul 16 with 877 viewsQPerthR

Any one in the know , know why Lewis Didd us not playing super league . Is it form ?
Nrl 2024 on 10:03 - Jul 16 with 807 viewsterryb

On a different subject for those with any knowledge of Super League (Clive definitely comes to mind), please could somebody speculate on which clubs are likely to be in Super League next year?

I understand that with the grading system coming into effect, London might not even make The Championship (is this possible?) & that Wakefield are the likely promoted team. Perhaps even being as high as 10th on the grading list. To achieve this, would Wakefield need to win the Championship play offs, or would finishing top of the league score enough?

Is there a chance that Toulouse will unseat Huddersfield (or even Hull)? And how do HKR score higher than Hull?

Lastly, is it right that a club could lose it's place due to another club receiving more hits on You Tube & other social media? I know the scores for this are low, but I understand that 0.1 might make all the difference.
Nrl 2024 on 10:09 - Jul 16 with 795 viewsNorthernr

Nrl 2024 on 10:03 - Jul 16 by terryb

On a different subject for those with any knowledge of Super League (Clive definitely comes to mind), please could somebody speculate on which clubs are likely to be in Super League next year?

I understand that with the grading system coming into effect, London might not even make The Championship (is this possible?) & that Wakefield are the likely promoted team. Perhaps even being as high as 10th on the grading list. To achieve this, would Wakefield need to win the Championship play offs, or would finishing top of the league score enough?

Is there a chance that Toulouse will unseat Huddersfield (or even Hull)? And how do HKR score higher than Hull?

Lastly, is it right that a club could lose it's place due to another club receiving more hits on You Tube & other social media? I know the scores for this are low, but I understand that 0.1 might make all the difference.

Yeh, as ever with Rugby League, it's a complete mess.

It's generally accepted that London will be relegated regardless of where they finish. This despite them being settled at a great ground in Wimbledon, vital outreach and expansion club etc. Likewise now Wakefield have done their ground up a bit it's accepted that they'll be in - and are already spending accordingly if you look at their 2025 recruitment.

Toulouse probably the next cab on the rank as they have all the facilities, backing, team. Castleford most vulnerable to them because their ground is an old tip.

Hull it#'s accepted can't be relegated because of their stadium and facilities basically, so they've tossd the whole season off. Worst Hull team I've seen in my lifetime. And disgusting really, if they finish bottom they should go.

It's just not sport. I get what they're trying to do, but the grading includes as many points for having a big screen and electronic pitch advertising as it does for a Challenge Cup win. It's a nonsense.

The obvious answer is a 14 team league, everybody plays each other twice, no loop fixtures, London and Toulouse both in there. But the chairmen get the final vote and they won't vote to split a diminishignb TV deal 14 ways instead of 12. So they're killing the product.

Throw in next year's new rules where if you tackle anybody above the waist they get brain aids and you explode into a thousand pieces and it's a very sad farce all round.
Nrl 2024 on 12:27 - Jul 16 with 701 viewsterryb

Cheers Clive.

I did see that Wakefield have been signing players for next year, two from Catalans including the return of Tom Johnstone.

I can't get my head around being allowed to make these signings this early. Obviously, the Wakefield owner (who I understand has invested heavily) must be very confident of a Super League placement. God knows what they do if it didn't come to fruition!

And who is responsible for arranging the fixtures? Wakefield finish the season with four home games! I know they will have played all teams away, but this is far from a balanced fixture list.
[Post edited 16 Jul 12:40]
Nrl 2024 on 18:33 - Jul 16 with 622 viewsNorthernr

Nrl 2024 on 12:27 - Jul 16 by terryb

Cheers Clive.

I did see that Wakefield have been signing players for next year, two from Catalans including the return of Tom Johnstone.

I can't get my head around being allowed to make these signings this early. Obviously, the Wakefield owner (who I understand has invested heavily) must be very confident of a Super League placement. God knows what they do if it didn't come to fruition!

And who is responsible for arranging the fixtures? Wakefield finish the season with four home games! I know they will have played all teams away, but this is far from a balanced fixture list.
[Post edited 16 Jul 12:40]

The fixture list is chaos. By the halfway point of the season Wigan had played Castleford away (three) more than they'd played home games (two).

First time they've got every game live on Sky, and they keep scheduling four games at the same time Friday night. None on Thursday, a night when you've got the schedule to yourself.

Twice during the Euros they didn't have a live game on a night when there was no football, and then screened rugby league games up against England matches.

It's a dreadfully administered sport. IMG were brought in to sort the incompetence and have just added another layer to it.
Nrl 2024 on 09:51 - Jul 17 with 537 viewsTheChef

Nrl 2024 on 18:33 - Jul 16 by Northernr

The fixture list is chaos. By the halfway point of the season Wigan had played Castleford away (three) more than they'd played home games (two).

First time they've got every game live on Sky, and they keep scheduling four games at the same time Friday night. None on Thursday, a night when you've got the schedule to yourself.

Twice during the Euros they didn't have a live game on a night when there was no football, and then screened rugby league games up against England matches.

It's a dreadfully administered sport. IMG were brought in to sort the incompetence and have just added another layer to it.

Does any governing body in this country administer their sport well??

Poll: How old is everyone on here?

Nrl 2024 on 10:28 - Jul 17 with 525 viewsNorthernr

Nrl 2024 on 09:51 - Jul 17 by TheChef

Does any governing body in this country administer their sport well??

There are levels of incompetence though, and British RL is off the scale.
It's so disappointing because it's a great product. If NFL can be as successful as it is here, with no professional team or league, there must be a market for League which is essentially NFL sped up with no pads.

Like I say it'll get worse next year when the bed wetter's switchboard basically make every other tackle a penalty.
Nrl 2024 on 10:37 - Jul 17 with 499 viewsnadera78

Nrl 2024 on 18:33 - Jul 16 by Northernr

Just a little defence of IMG here, I don't think they realised just how resistant the clubs would be to absolutely every suggestion made. They've ended up cobbling together a package that doesn't make a huge difference but was just about all they could get the clubs to agree to. I wouldn't be surprised if IMG walked away, the financial returns just aren't worth the work they have to put in.
Nrl 2024 on 10:39 - Jul 17 with 493 viewsNorthernr

Nrl 2024 on 10:37 - Jul 17 by nadera78

Just a little defence of IMG here, I don't think they realised just how resistant the clubs would be to absolutely every suggestion made. They've ended up cobbling together a package that doesn't make a huge difference but was just about all they could get the clubs to agree to. I wouldn't be surprised if IMG walked away, the financial returns just aren't worth the work they have to put in.

Yup, as said above some of the answers are bloody obvious but the Super League chairman constantly vote in self interest - i.e. we don't want to split our TV money between more clubs, we don't want to travel to France, we don't want teams who bring no away fans etc etc.
Nrl 2024 on 10:48 - Jul 17 with 488 viewsnadera78

Nrl 2024 on 10:09 - Jul 16 by Northernr

Yeh, as ever with Rugby League, it's a complete mess.

It's generally accepted that London will be relegated regardless of where they finish. This despite them being settled at a great ground in Wimbledon, vital outreach and expansion club etc. Likewise now Wakefield have done their ground up a bit it's accepted that they'll be in - and are already spending accordingly if you look at their 2025 recruitment.

Toulouse probably the next cab on the rank as they have all the facilities, backing, team. Castleford most vulnerable to them because their ground is an old tip.

Hull it#'s accepted can't be relegated because of their stadium and facilities basically, so they've tossd the whole season off. Worst Hull team I've seen in my lifetime. And disgusting really, if they finish bottom they should go.

It's just not sport. I get what they're trying to do, but the grading includes as many points for having a big screen and electronic pitch advertising as it does for a Challenge Cup win. It's a nonsense.

The obvious answer is a 14 team league, everybody plays each other twice, no loop fixtures, London and Toulouse both in there. But the chairmen get the final vote and they won't vote to split a diminishignb TV deal 14 ways instead of 12. So they're killing the product.

Throw in next year's new rules where if you tackle anybody above the waist they get brain aids and you explode into a thousand pieces and it's a very sad farce all round.

London's a joke of a club, in fact it's not even a club anymore just a first team and a handful of off-field staff. David Hughes has spent £30million to take a club averaging 4,500 at Griffin Park to one averaging 1,000 at Wimbledon, and in the process driven away people who were the bedrock of the club's support and the local community clubs

Even the much-vaunted development work that managed to produce a few England internationals has been destroyed in the last few years - academy team closed and fewer community clubs than at any point in the last 20 years.

And I doubt the other clubs will allow Toulouse the time and space needed to establish themselves, they've already changed the rules so Catalans have to pay for everyone's travel to France once a year. Too many people (owners, players, fans, administrators) really do just want to revert to playing games against teams they can travel to on the local bus network. Eventually, that's what they'll probably get - and wonder why so many young players are desperate to leave for the NRL (just wait until that hits 20 teams and needs more players).
Nrl 2024 on 10:52 - Jul 17 with 476 viewsNorthernr

Nrl 2024 on 10:48 - Jul 17 by nadera78

London's a joke of a club, in fact it's not even a club anymore just a first team and a handful of off-field staff. David Hughes has spent £30million to take a club averaging 4,500 at Griffin Park to one averaging 1,000 at Wimbledon, and in the process driven away people who were the bedrock of the club's support and the local community clubs

Even the much-vaunted development work that managed to produce a few England internationals has been destroyed in the last few years - academy team closed and fewer community clubs than at any point in the last 20 years.

And I doubt the other clubs will allow Toulouse the time and space needed to establish themselves, they've already changed the rules so Catalans have to pay for everyone's travel to France once a year. Too many people (owners, players, fans, administrators) really do just want to revert to playing games against teams they can travel to on the local bus network. Eventually, that's what they'll probably get - and wonder why so many young players are desperate to leave for the NRL (just wait until that hits 20 teams and needs more players).

What do you make of the Phil Gould suggestion that NRL should buy it? Make it NRL Europe, pair clubs up with an Oz side etc...
Nrl 2024 on 11:17 - Jul 17 with 431 viewsnadera78

Nrl 2024 on 10:52 - Jul 17 by Northernr

What do you make of the Phil Gould suggestion that NRL should buy it? Make it NRL Europe, pair clubs up with an Oz side etc...

Lot's of questions about how you'd get it off the ground, structure, which clubs, etc. But my main thought is that Peter V'landys only does things he thinks will make money in the short-to-medium term - hence the push for a PNG team because the Aus government have offered $600m, the Las Vegas season-opener, using profits to buy existing businesses in Australia. Would an NRL Europe make money? Doubtful, but even if it did you'd be looking at a very long-term project. I cant see him wanting to spend time and money on it, especially when they can just use the English game as a source of players.
Nrl 2024 on 11:22 - Jul 17 with 419 viewsNorthernr

Nrl 2024 on 11:17 - Jul 17 by nadera78

Lot's of questions about how you'd get it off the ground, structure, which clubs, etc. But my main thought is that Peter V'landys only does things he thinks will make money in the short-to-medium term - hence the push for a PNG team because the Aus government have offered $600m, the Las Vegas season-opener, using profits to buy existing businesses in Australia. Would an NRL Europe make money? Doubtful, but even if it did you'd be looking at a very long-term project. I cant see him wanting to spend time and money on it, especially when they can just use the English game as a source of players.

Like you say though, a 20-team NRL needs players, and our game is in such a state we're going to develop fewer and fewer players. So essentially a feeder league could be attractive to them. It's not in Australia's interest for the game to just decay away here I don't think.

Agree with everything you say above though. So many of the answers seem really obvious to me - 14 team league with the aim of being 16 within 5 years, 26 fixtures, play each other twice, Toulouse, an effective London. But like you say the chairmen won't go for it purely through self interest. The hostility and opposition to Catalans does my head in - absolutely love going down there, superb stadium, they invest in their team (though too many imports is a valid criticism). Wish a few more clubs looked and felt like them, and yet all we do is bitch and moan about having to get a 1.5 hour flight.

The fixtures and scheduling is a huge part of the reason the competition is crap. Playing the same teams so often. Hull and London are abysmal this year and yet some teams get to play them three times and others only twice. Wigan and Saints miles ahead, some teams have to play them twice and others three times. It's a proper farce. Hull played Leeds at home April 28 and then didn't play at home again until June 15 when they played... Leeds again.

Every game on Sky, but no real regular slots. It's scattered all over the place, you don't build an audience like that. They should really have nailed down Thursday night on Sky Main Event as their slot, instead (again) chairmen are more worried about only getting 500 Leeds fans travelling on a Thursday instead of 650 on a Friday.

This post has been edited by an administrator
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024