Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
BFG to Sporting? 08:15 - Aug 18 with 12965 viewsHoopstar

Wishing I hadn't succumbed to reactivating my Twitter account...

Some Portuguese chap on there seems adamant our BFG is off to Sporting in Portugal for 1.5 million...

No idea if this is remotely true but he seems confident he has a medical tomorrow and signing by Friday!

I'd be gutted for one!
BFG to Sporting? on 13:56 - Aug 18 with 2851 viewsNorthernr

BFG to Sporting? on 13:55 - Aug 18 by WestbourneR

Initially yes - admittedly you then get under mine.

BFG to Sporting? on 13:59 - Aug 18 with 2839 viewsAntti_Heinola

BFG to Sporting? on 12:21 - Aug 18 by WestbourneR

Wow I really get under you skin don't I... another Northern flounce about a post. Dare I say it makes the board a bit more interesting and is about options, which is the point of the board after all. As moderator I thought you might get that... or do you want us all to fall in line with you, the football oracle?

It's not about 'digging out' it's about rating some players and not rating others. I thought that was allowed.

Polter had a terrible first touch, that's what I think. it is boarder line comical 50% of the time. That's my opinion. Feel free to disagree but try to stop being so bloody sanctimonious.

I could write a list of all the Rangers players I watch and rate highly if you like...
Smithies - excellent
Chery - better and better
Luongo & El Karate show real promise
As does Bidwell
Caulker looks rejuvenated
Like Onouha's attitude
Excited by Furlong

Loved Hill and Faurlin and Austin.

Does that help? Does it now give me the right to not rate Hall & Polter?
[Post edited 18 Aug 2016 12:26]

'comical'

And therein lies the worst side of today's football fan. Finding it hilarious when someone who is far, far, far better at something than you could ever dream to be doesn't always kill a ball first time.

Now that's what I find 'comical'.

Bare bones.

BFG to Sporting? on 14:25 - Aug 18 with 2773 viewsWestbourneR

BFG to Sporting? on 13:59 - Aug 18 by Antti_Heinola

'comical'

And therein lies the worst side of today's football fan. Finding it hilarious when someone who is far, far, far better at something than you could ever dream to be doesn't always kill a ball first time.

Now that's what I find 'comical'.

Really Antti? Really?

You're now saying I have to judge all players based on their football skills in comparison to mine... dear me.

Comical (for a professional footballer).

Better?

Poll: Should JFH get the sack?

BFG to Sporting? on 14:26 - Aug 18 with 2767 viewsdanehoop

BFG to Sporting? on 12:25 - Aug 18 by WestbourneR

And you went to look that up. Nice one.

Well aware he scored goals in Portugal - that's why Norwich bought him. I thought with a name and record like that he'd be amazing.

Then I saw him play for Norwich and he was one of the worse centre forwards I seen in long while.

Whilst you're in stats mode Danehoop, how many goals did he score for Norwich?

Fairpoint Westbourne and to give you his full career stats to date:

2008—2009

Vitesse

33 apperances (8) Goals

2009—2011

Utrecht

64 appearances (26) Goals

2011—2013

Sporting CP

55 apperances (28) Goals

2013—2016

Norwich City

25 appearances (1) Goal

2014—2015

Saint-Étienne (loan)

28 appreances (5) Goals

2015—2016

Betis (loan)

17 appearances (1) Goal

2016—

Vitesse

2 appearances (2) Goals

So his career stats would indicate that he is a good striker overall and prolific in weaker leagues, but perhaps not quite good enough at the highest level (a view supported in part by only 2 appearances for the Dutch as an international). But your implication that he was a poor striker and had been so for Sporting was I think erroneous.

The thing is though that you have made a number of assertions as fact or implied fact, when the evidence is less supportive of your statements/arguments. Doesnt get under my skin, we all have opinions, but some are more easily evidenced than others.

Never knowingly understood

BFG to Sporting? on 14:35 - Aug 18 with 2741 viewsAntti_Heinola

BFG to Sporting? on 14:25 - Aug 18 by WestbourneR

Really Antti? Really?

You're now saying I have to judge all players based on their football skills in comparison to mine... dear me.

Better?

Judge them all you like mate. But i can't stand this modern phenomenon of fans openly laughing at mistakes, stroking their chins and looking down their nose at anything that isn't Messi-level perfection. It's really ugly.
I'd agree, he doesn't have the best control in the team, but comical? Really? Now if an arrogant player tries a stupid fancy flick for no reason other than showing off and it goes wrong - fair enough - I'd find that amusing. But for someone that tries his arse off in every game only to have someone in the stands laughing at an honest mistake (and let's face it, it's not like he cannot control a ball - he's a far cleverer and better player than many give him credit for - you can see that someone like Chery has genuine respect for his abilities, for example) like some kind of fully grown Nelson Muntz is a bit pathetic.

Bare bones.

BFG to Sporting? on 14:59 - Aug 18 with 2677 viewssimmo

BFG to Sporting? on 14:25 - Aug 18 by WestbourneR

Really Antti? Really?

Better?

Are you basing your opinions on seeing him play every week btw?

ask Beavis I get nothing Butthead

BFG to Sporting? on 15:06 - Aug 18 with 2657 viewsHunterhoop

Polter is bloody brilliant. Love him.

Exactly what we need. Great attitude, slightly nuts, scores goals, gets assists, vocal, motivates others, appreciates the fans, works his balls off every game, has a career on the up, wants to succeed with us.... what is not to like?!?

Oh, his touch can be a bit hit and miss. Frankly, so can half the England team's! So what? We're a small-medium sized club in West London, playing in the English second tier. We need to get over ourselves.

If a player makes a bad mistake, absolutely, it's only fair and reasonable to call it out. But to intimate, that someone isn't good enough for us in totality, when they have all the attributes above is ridiculous. We are QPR. Some of our fans need some perspective.

Polter is f*cking ace. Be a disaster if we sold him.
BFG to Sporting? on 15:35 - Aug 18 with 2610 viewsWestbourneR

BFG to Sporting? on 14:59 - Aug 18 by simmo

Are you basing your opinions on seeing him play every week btw?

Every week at home (season ticket) and away when I can.

That acceptable to you simmo, am I allowed an opinion now?

Login to get fewer ads

BFG to Sporting? on 15:55 - Aug 18 with 2534 viewsTacticalR

BFG to Sporting? on 15:35 - Aug 18 by WestbourneR

The vetting here is very strict.

Air hostess clique

BFG to Sporting? on 16:12 - Aug 18 with 2490 viewskensalriser

Only when it's the correct one.

Poll: QPR to finish 7th or Brentford to drop out of the top 6?

BFG to Sporting? on 17:09 - Aug 18 with 2394 viewsPunteR

Polter has improved but he is an unorthodox type of player. He can be sublime and he can be comical in the way he plays. He's entertaining more than anything.
Not sure why WestbourneR getting so much stick tbh.
I don't agree with him on Hall but Polter I think the jury is still out.

Occasional providers of half decent House music.

BFG to Sporting? on 17:27 - Aug 18 with 2351 viewsstevec

If only we'd signed that useless Jon Walters in 2010 we wouldn't be having these conversations!

Fair play Northern though for flagging your article up.
BFG to Sporting? on 17:31 - Aug 18 with 2334 viewsWestbourneR

BFG to Sporting? on 17:09 - Aug 18 by PunteR

Polter has improved but he is an unorthodox type of player. He can be sublime and he can be comical in the way he plays. He's entertaining more than anything.

Cheers PunteR, good to get a bit of relief!

I really like Polter's attitude and I support him all the way at games - but unorthodox is the word. As Northern said in the past, he's all most more effective without the ball that with it.

Then again sometimes he shows a lethal turn and shot. Next minute he stands on the ball and falls over.

He's a bit nuts as far as I can tell too but I quite like that.

BFG to Sporting? on 17:33 - Aug 18 with 2325 viewssimmo

It was a question, not an accusation.

I just wondered how you can watch someone like Polter play the way he does week in week out and exaggerate him lacking a specific attribute to decide he's a comical player that is worth fck all.

BFG to Sporting? on 18:12 - Aug 18 with 2237 viewsWestbourneR

BFG to Sporting? on 17:33 - Aug 18 by simmo

It was a question, not an accusation.

I just wondered how you can watch someone like Polter play the way he does week in week out and exaggerate him lacking a specific attribute to decide he's a comical player that is worth fck all.

Ah so if I didn't him live regularly then my opinion is invalid.

And now I do watch him regularly my opinion is still invalid.

I see.

BFG to Sporting? on 18:51 - Aug 18 with 2138 viewsjohncharles

BFG to Sporting? on 18:12 - Aug 18 by WestbourneR

I see.

You're getting the hang of it now

Strong and stable my arse.

BFG to Sporting? on 20:02 - Aug 18 with 2074 viewsPablo_Hoopsta

I see.

Opinions are like arseholes, as they say. We've all got one and this board has plenty. Still by the far the best board though. I don't agree with a LOT of what is written and there are some people I think are truly utter cûnts! I don't use the block button as I can just choose not to read their posts, or at worst call them a cûnt to my screen and move on. Done the getting het up about thins on MBs, just gets you angry and no way you can release it, we are all QPR and even if I disagree with people of think they are prized plums I'm not going to offer them out - we are all QPR after all (Konk excepted and accepted!).

I'm sure I'm on a few peoples block list. Me and BrightonHopp used to have proper disagreements and now get on like a house on fire and he is someone I massively respect even though we never met. I've met most from the old rivals, lots of new names here and a few cliques but whatever man, more things to worry about than that, so chin up Westy and keep on keeping on!

U Rrrrrssss!!!!
BFG to Sporting? on 20:16 - Aug 18 with 2054 viewshitman35

wont lose any sleep if this is true. very average player who is good at falling over in the box.

any sort of profit would be good.
BFG to Sporting? on 21:23 - Aug 18 with 1949 viewsRangersDave

I'd let him go for a serious £20m to be honest.
He's much better this year so will bring any team goals. That has value.

20m plus a sell on fee percentage and / or a possibly buy back clause for 2m as well.

If they are serious, they will pay, if they are not they can feck right off.

Actually, come to think of it they can feck right off anyway!

WWW.northernphotography.com
Poll: Do we think Rangers wil be mathematically relegated by or on New Years day?

BFG to Sporting? on 00:14 - Aug 19 with 1832 viewsconnell10

I love the polts, he has come on leaps and bounds and to see him getting better week on week is very pleasing to me! As for him leaving total shite !

AND WHEN I DREAM , I DREAM ABOUT YOU AND WHEN I SCREAM I SCREAM ABOUT YOU!!!!!
Poll: best number 10 ever?

BFG to Sporting? on 09:18 - Aug 19 with 1680 viewssimmo

I see.

When did I say your opinion is invalid either way??

I said I don't understand it, for him or Hall. Especially as you've clearly seen for yourself how they play.

BFG to Sporting? on 09:34 - Aug 19 with 1657 viewsBlue_Castello

BFG to Sporting? on 15:06 - Aug 18 by Hunterhoop

Polter is bloody brilliant. Love him.

Exactly what we need. Great attitude, slightly nuts, scores goals, gets assists, vocal, motivates others, appreciates the fans, works his balls off every game, has a career on the up, wants to succeed with us.... what is not to like?!?

Oh, his touch can be a bit hit and miss. Frankly, so can half the England team's! So what? We're a small-medium sized club in West London, playing in the English second tier. We need to get over ourselves.

If a player makes a bad mistake, absolutely, it's only fair and reasonable to call it out. But to intimate, that someone isn't good enough for us in totality, when they have all the attributes above is ridiculous. We are QPR. Some of our fans need some perspective.

Polter is f*cking ace. Be a disaster if we sold him.

Excellent post

We left the ground after the Leeds game and we thought what an excellent performance from Polter, he gave both the Leeds centre backs a really tough time and was instrumental in ensuring we won the game with his all action display, capped off with a good goal at the finish.

A year ago when I first saw Polter like many others I thought this bloke will go one of two ways because at that stage he didn't look good enough for League 2 let alone the Championship. The obvious issue was his first touch being so poor and you could see his ball control was lacking BUT you could see serious potential as a striker and at that stage he was showing the essential ingredient and that's to work your nuts off if your playing up front on your own.

Now a year later I walked to the car after the Leeds game and thought what a massive improvement from a year ago, his control of the ball is better but obviously a work in progress and his all round game was one of the main reasons we ended up 3-0 winners.

I can't help feeling some people are still mourning the loss of Charlie Austin and constantly making comparisons which in all fairness is ridiculous. We picked up Polter for a smallish transfer fee because the scouts could see the potential and to be honest I personally don't think he's let us down at all and has improved his game since coming to Loftus Road.
The days of us spending big buying a player are long gone due to FFP so we have to work in the bargain basement and get players with potential.

Plenty of Championship teams have done well with a strong target man up front and whilst we are rebuilding Polter is doing a very good job on his own, let's face it if he went at the moment we would be stuffed unless the management do some very smart deals for probably peanuts compared to Villa and the Geordies.

Whilst JFH is playing one up front Polter is the only player we have who can compete against two centre halves, you would then argue play a second striker but that's a risk in itself, players who are out of form being picked and the midfield being weakened in the process.

Let's face it were a work in progress and they all need our support.....
BFG to Sporting? on 09:36 - Aug 19 with 1651 viewsJeff

So how was his medical yesterday? any Pap photos of him coming out of the Lisbon medical centre with a thumbs up?

Can we not knock it?

BFG to Sporting? on 09:43 - Aug 19 with 1630 viewsNorthernr

BFG to Sporting? on 09:36 - Aug 19 by Jeff

So how was his medical yesterday? any Pap photos of him coming out of the Lisbon medical centre with a thumbs up?

Right that's it, outside now.
BFG to Sporting? on 10:13 - Aug 19 with 1564 viewsAntti_Heinola

BFG to Sporting? on 17:09 - Aug 18 by PunteR

If I was a bit harsh on Westbourne, then I apologise. Unfortunately, this laughing at players (itself one of the many consequences of the increasing financial/social divide between players and fans, but that's another story) is something that I'm seeing more and more (Jonno described some of Polti's play as 'laughable' the other day, and I almost bit then, but held back) and I just think it's a horrible form of snobbery. As I said, it smacks of grown men acting like Nelson Muntz - but worse in a way - Muntz is a sensitive kid who uses bullying as a shield from his homelife, to hide his insecurity; whereas fans who laugh at players for not being able to have perfect control first time every time are simply vindictive.

I don't think the jury is out on Polter by the way. If you can't see what he is now, you're not looking hard enough. He is a decent centre forward with some great strengths and some weaknesses. For a mid-table Championship team he's a valuable player, but will unlikely ever quite have the goalscoring impact of an Austin or an Andre Gray. He's strong, competitive, good in the air, honest, hard working, quicker than you'd imagine and confident in his abilities. Brilliant? No. Likely to score 15 goals in the Prem? No. But he could quite easily get 15 in this league and be a great focal point in a similar way to Helguson was.

Bare bones.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024