Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Boxing fans 22:24 - Oct 10 with 6661 viewsqprwpg

Daily Mail reporting Lennox will fight one of the Klitschkos for $100 million - it's a stupid amount of money. I'd take both of them on for $1M/each

Don't think it'll be any different than last time, Lennox will get battered again - but don't think he'll get that lucky with the help from the doc.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/boxing/article-2451488/Lennox-Lewis-wants-100m-

A reminder of what happened last time
[Post edited 10 Oct 2013 22:25]

Twitter: @qprwpg

Boxing fans on 07:51 - Oct 11 with 3968 viewsdaveB

slight exaggeration to say Lewis was battered in that fight, he won it well in the end, look at the state of kiltchokos face at the end, Lewis was 38 when he fought him and was way past his best and although it was closer than many expected Lennox caught him with some quality punches that night

The mail are wrong anyway, Lewis was joking when he said about making a comeback, he was a real great champion, best British heavyweight ever
Boxing fans on 08:34 - Oct 11 with 3948 viewsToast_R

Lewis in his day would do both the Klitschko bothers indside 6 rounds at the same time.

They are the great pretenders, right time, right place, decent business brains, that is all.

The heavyweight division has been awful for the last 10 years. David Haye is not a natural Heavyweight and even he managed to win a title from some guy who was little more then a circus act.

Even Frank Bruno could have done them two plodders.
[Post edited 11 Oct 2013 8:37]
Boxing fans on 08:38 - Oct 11 with 3936 viewswarwickhoop

Boxing fans on 07:51 - Oct 11 by daveB

slight exaggeration to say Lewis was battered in that fight, he won it well in the end, look at the state of kiltchokos face at the end, Lewis was 38 when he fought him and was way past his best and although it was closer than many expected Lennox caught him with some quality punches that night

The mail are wrong anyway, Lewis was joking when he said about making a comeback, he was a real great champion, best British heavyweight ever

Not sure Jack Wilshere would agree!
Boxing fans on 08:40 - Oct 11 with 3933 viewsPommyhoop

Lewis was quality.Right up there with history's best.He was unfortunate to have followed the great British fave Big Frank Bruno. A bit similar to Larry Holmes not being as popular as his talent deserved because he followed Ali.

Edit : Did I just compare Bruno to Ali?
[Post edited 11 Oct 2013 8:45]

http://cdn.meme.am/instances/250x250/55039027.jpg
Poll: How much should we sell Eze for. What will we get.

Boxing fans on 09:47 - Oct 11 with 3887 viewsdaveB

Boxing fans on 08:38 - Oct 11 by warwickhoop

Not sure Jack Wilshere would agree!

He was born in England so yes he would
Boxing fans on 09:51 - Oct 11 with 3880 viewsRblockPrior

gutted this is not happening now! got my hopes up

Poll: Of the 3 linked away, who do you think will still be a QPR player come February?

Boxing fans on 10:09 - Oct 11 with 3862 viewsPhildo

You compare Bruno to Lewis though which is bad enough.

Lewis was a very good fighter but it was in decline even in his time. Multiple belts, gangsterism, Don King- the sport really harmed itself over the years and never got its house in order and is suffering now as the kids it needed turned away to other sports who were able to pick up and protect talent.

Shame because in its pomp it was the purest form of contest.
Boxing fans on 10:18 - Oct 11 with 3848 viewsTheBlob

Boxing fans on 10:09 - Oct 11 by Phildo

You compare Bruno to Lewis though which is bad enough.

Lewis was a very good fighter but it was in decline even in his time. Multiple belts, gangsterism, Don King- the sport really harmed itself over the years and never got its house in order and is suffering now as the kids it needed turned away to other sports who were able to pick up and protect talent.

Shame because in its pomp it was the purest form of contest.

Oh I don't think it was that bad.Lewis never got the full credit from the American press because he wasn't a Yank,and he wasn't fully endorsed over here because of his mixed nationality.Anyway I'm glad this isn't happening,if you've seen the state of Lennox recently it'll take more than six months to get back to any kind of shape - if at all.Don't want to see another ancient fighter stumbling around the place,shades of George Foreman.

Poll: So how was the season for you?

Login to get fewer ads

Boxing fans on 10:46 - Oct 11 with 3837 viewsBluce_Ree

Nobody beats Tyson in his prime. There's no way. Not even Ali in my opinion.

Stefan Moore, Stefan Moore running down the wing. Stefan Moore, Stefan Moore running down the wing. He runs like a cheetah, his crosses couldn't be sweeter. Stefan Moore. Stefan Moore. Stefan Moore.

Boxing fans on 10:51 - Oct 11 with 3827 viewsGloucs_R

Boxing fans on 10:46 - Oct 11 by Bluce_Ree

Nobody beats Tyson in his prime. There's no way. Not even Ali in my opinion.

Agree with that, a monster of a fighter and even more impressive when you look at his height. Some of the heavy weight boxers these days would stand almost a foot above him.

Poll: Are we staying up?

Boxing fans on 11:01 - Oct 11 with 3818 viewsMetallica_Hoop

Lewis used to get his hair cut in a barbers on the Harrow Road I walked past him a few times, now I'm not small but blimey that guy is big.

Beer and Beef has made us what we are - The Prince Regent

Boxing fans on 11:11 - Oct 11 with 3813 viewsPhildo

Tyson- Amazing hand speed before he hit about 25 but once that went and it went early he was shot. I think a number of the greats in their prime would have beaten him because his reach was short and he was a puncher not a pugilist. Even in his pomp Don King was keeping certain fighters away from him because of those weaknesses.

Always a good debate though!
[Post edited 11 Oct 2013 11:12]
Boxing fans on 11:17 - Oct 11 with 3801 viewsToast_R

Tyson had a media hyped reputation. Only greats go the distance and Buster Douglas done him in his prime did he not?

Even Frank Bruno (That comparison again) nearly put him down in his prime.

Tyson was all about intimidation and bully boy tactics, as soon as someone stood up to him and wasn't scared, he wasn't all that.
Boxing fans on 11:24 - Oct 11 with 3792 viewsdaveB

Tyson was a top fighter in the 80's but for me was not as good as Lewis or Holyfield over his full career.
Boxing fans on 15:03 - Oct 11 with 3733 viewsBluce_Ree

Boxing fans on 11:24 - Oct 11 by daveB

Tyson was a top fighter in the 80's but for me was not as good as Lewis or Holyfield over his full career.

I agree that over his career he was sketchy. He lost his way BIG TIME when D'Amato died and he let all the wrong people into his life but before that? Holy shit, son. He was a straight killer. It wasn't even him being a bully, he was pretty quiet and respectful at the time.

But he was just a beast. He was technical too. I mean crazy technical. Even when he was wailing on guys, he'd be making little adjustments with his footwork. He had incredible head movement and his finishing combo of right hook to the body, right uppercut was pretty unorthodox but just devastating.

Put the hungry Mike Tyson in a ring with anyone and that's all she wrote.

Stefan Moore, Stefan Moore running down the wing. Stefan Moore, Stefan Moore running down the wing. He runs like a cheetah, his crosses couldn't be sweeter. Stefan Moore. Stefan Moore. Stefan Moore.

Boxing fans on 17:13 - Oct 11 with 3687 viewsjeffro

Watch Deontay Wilder....
Hasnt fought anyone of note granted, but there are not many more natural athletic punchers in HW division than him.

Will be mixing with the likes of Fury/Chisora/Tony Thompson next year so will see.
Boxing fans on 17:28 - Oct 11 with 3675 viewsTheBlob

Boxing fans on 15:03 - Oct 11 by Bluce_Ree

I agree that over his career he was sketchy. He lost his way BIG TIME when D'Amato died and he let all the wrong people into his life but before that? Holy shit, son. He was a straight killer. It wasn't even him being a bully, he was pretty quiet and respectful at the time.

But he was just a beast. He was technical too. I mean crazy technical. Even when he was wailing on guys, he'd be making little adjustments with his footwork. He had incredible head movement and his finishing combo of right hook to the body, right uppercut was pretty unorthodox but just devastating.

Put the hungry Mike Tyson in a ring with anyone and that's all she wrote.

Tyson once said the best punch he ever threw was on his partner Robin Givens.

Poll: So how was the season for you?

Boxing fans on 18:00 - Oct 11 with 3658 viewsthemodfather

lewis v vitali was a classic, both went for it....shame it's rarely shown but as i recall , vitali was ahead and lweis had to do some back tracking but kept throwing over head punches, which split the eye and it was a terrible cut, the cornerman got his thumb in it!!
lewis reckoned he did not under estimate vitali, but was preparing for a fighter who then pulled out and vitali was the replacement and lewis said he hadn't studied the "tapes" properly...either way, a classic
but rematch? NO.
Boxing fans on 19:33 - Oct 11 with 3606 viewsyankranger

If anyone hasn't seen the Tyson documentary, it is called "Tyson", it's a must see. It really is a great documentary. He really didn't have an easy life. Imagine his background and having that much money at 18. He was just swarmed and taken advantage of by bad people. Scary to think how good he could have been given his natural gifts, if he had good people around him for guidance.

In terms of Lewis, he was well respected by the US media. He was an excellent heavyweight but unfortunately during a relatively boring period in boxing. He was a monster, and used his size advantage wisely.

I am forgetting his name, but the british super heavyweight that just won gold reminds me of lewis. Massive guy - just needs to learn how to box properly. He may have a decent career.

I love boxing, just think the sport is in a sad state. How can it be possible that Mayweather and Pacquio didn't fight. It's all a big joke.
Boxing fans on 20:14 - Oct 11 with 3581 viewsqprwpg

Boxing fans on 17:13 - Oct 11 by jeffro

Watch Deontay Wilder....
Hasnt fought anyone of note granted, but there are not many more natural athletic punchers in HW division than him.

Will be mixing with the likes of Fury/Chisora/Tony Thompson next year so will see.

Deontay Wilder

Not heard of him before, those punches are like freight trains!

Twitter: @qprwpg

Boxing fans on 14:24 - Oct 12 with 3500 viewscheeseydane

Boxing fans on 20:14 - Oct 11 by qprwpg

Deontay Wilder

Not heard of him before, those punches are like freight trains!

WTF:

His oppenent at 5:13

Technology advances, unfortunately humans do not.

Boxing fans on 14:42 - Oct 12 with 3488 viewsPommyhoop

Throws them like Ernie Shavers and George Foreman. Love to see him up against someone who could box like the opponents Ernie and George had to fight.

Boxing fans on 14:49 - Oct 12 with 3483 viewsCamberleyR

IMO it's heresy to suggest that Ali in his prime (and for me we're talking 66-67 here just before his ban) would not have beaten Tyson in his prime. For a start, Ali would have been far too quick for him, Tyson would not have got near him, he'd be chasing shadows.

Tyson was nothing more than a Sonny Liston for the 80s, an intimidating bully, and we all know what Ali did to him. The greatest there ever was and ever will be.

Poll: Which is the worst QPR team?

Boxing fans on 14:53 - Oct 12 with 3476 viewsPommyhoop

Boxing fans on 14:49 - Oct 12 by CamberleyR

IMO it's heresy to suggest that Ali in his prime (and for me we're talking 66-67 here just before his ban) would not have beaten Tyson in his prime. For a start, Ali would have been far too quick for him, Tyson would not have got near him, he'd be chasing shadows.

Tyson was nothing more than a Sonny Liston for the 80s, an intimidating bully, and we all know what Ali did to him. The greatest there ever was and ever will be.

I'm with you mate..Ali was the greatest .
ataf.

Boxing fans on 14:58 - Oct 12 with 3470 viewsPommyhoop

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024