Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Southampton; The dilema 09:18 - Nov 12 with 5588 viewsjeffro

Never have i once booed a player or ever wanted us to do anything other than win.

This Saturday will be the defining date in our clubs history.

I cant believe I am saying this but if it means us winning and Hughes staying on due to beating the worst side in the division at home, then Im actually hoping we draw.

If we win, we follow that up with Man United which is a loss not because its MUFC but because its an away game, so we will be on 7 points after 13 games, Derby had 6 points after 11 in their record breaking season.

I think for the good of the club and long term survival and growth, I would take a draw or even defeat to remove Hughes from the club, and get a manager in that can motivate these highly paid buffoons and intstil some defensive quality.

Not right i know, but I simply cannot see any other way with Hughes in charge.
Southampton; The dilema on 12:27 - Nov 12 with 1260 viewsElHoop

Southampton; The dilema on 12:22 - Nov 12 by adhoc_qpr

Does anyone think Hughes can keep us up?

I give him about a 10% chance of getting us into 17th by virtue of 3 teams being even worse (somehow), 90% chance we'll be bottom 3.

Yes i think that he can keep us up. I think that he will keep us up if he stays until the end of the season, which is blindingly obvious perhaps, but I think that we WILL go down if he leaves. We need a win, any sort of win, but after a win it will all feel quite different.

A week from now, it may seem very different.
Southampton; The dilema on 12:33 - Nov 12 with 1252 viewsjonno

Southampton; The dilema on 10:27 - Nov 12 by Jamie

He will be here until Xmas at the very least regardless of results imo.

We'll be 10 points adrift and TF will still be tweeting that we 'just need some luck' and that 'the table is so tight right now'.

So if we were to lose 0-4 on Saturday, you still think Hughes will be manager on Monday?
Southampton; The dilema on 12:34 - Nov 12 with 1251 viewsderbyhoop

Hughes can keep us up, but the odds are diminishing by the week.

A bigger question is whether any other manager could do better? And any answer on that would be open to doubt.

Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the Earth all one’s lifetime. (Mark Twain) Find me on twitter @derbyhoop

Southampton; The dilema on 12:37 - Nov 12 with 1247 viewspaulparker

dont feel that Hughes is up to the job and if he had anything about him he would have walked away on saturday!!

but like many others i hope we get the 3 points on saturday , and will still be supporting the side no matter what, we need to get behind the players for this one from the off and make it difficult for Soton,

And Bowles is onside, Swinburne has come rushing out of his goal , what can Bowles do here , onto the left foot no, on to the right foot That’s there that’s two, and that’s Bowles Brian Moore

Southampton; The dilema on 12:59 - Nov 12 with 1225 viewsA40Bosh

To Sack or Not To Sack, that is the question, whether 'tis nobler etc etc etc....

To be honest, the only reason I would want MH out after 11 or 12 games is if it became unequivocally apparent to TF and or Phil Beard that the players were not playing for MH, and they were not playing for him because they did not like him or his regime or his methods and even then, I would want him out only if it were the majority of the 1st team squad who felt that way. Whilst I think player power is distasteful and should not be bowed down to, if the dressing room was "lost" then unless it's one or two trouble makers ithen t will be difficult to turn around the unity without bringing in someone else.

The gamble is then that the someone else is a clued up enough fella to undo the damage "inflicted" by MH very quickly and convert this "good team on paper" to a "good team on the grass". However, dont expect to get anything from Old Trafford this season regardless of who is in charge.

However, if MH has not "lost" the dressing room but has just got things very wrong with a potentiall good squad, then there is still a huge risk that whoever we bring in cannot get the players firing on all cylinders either and not turning things around very quickly. MH might have the last laugh if we still went down - in the same way that Warnock was 45mins away from having the last laugh on the last day of last season.

I think it will be a real test of nerve for TF following a negative result against Southampton because everone will be baying for blood, but will he stick by his man knowing that he should go or is it a case that MH is able to perform a Jedi mind trick on TF so that TF feels that MH requires more time?

Complex it is.

Poll: With no leg room, knees killing me, do I just go now or stay for the 2nd half o?

Southampton; The dilema on 13:08 - Nov 12 with 1210 viewsJamie

Southampton; The dilema on 12:33 - Nov 12 by jonno

So if we were to lose 0-4 on Saturday, you still think Hughes will be manager on Monday?

I meant results as in win/lose/draw.

If we get absolutely torn apart next weekend and lose 4/5-0 then yes TF will have to look at it but if we lose a scrappy game 2-1/1-0 then he will stay IMO.
Southampton; The dilema on 13:23 - Nov 12 with 1188 viewsisawqpratwcity

Southampton; The dilema on 12:27 - Nov 12 by ElHoop

Yes i think that he can keep us up. I think that he will keep us up if he stays until the end of the season, which is blindingly obvious perhaps, but I think that we WILL go down if he leaves. We need a win, any sort of win, but after a win it will all feel quite different.

There is nothing "blindingly obvious" about Hughes keeping us up. There was nothing "blindingly obvious" about our survival last season and he's only doing worse now.

For me, the worst result against the Saints would be a half-arsed win (God forbid that a draw would be sufficient) to persuade TF to stay his hand longer. If we beat the Saints, it better be bloody convincing.

Poll: Deaths of Thatcher and Mandela this year: Sad or Glad?

Southampton; The dilema on 13:33 - Nov 12 with 1183 viewsbaz_qpr

Southampton; The dilema on 12:27 - Nov 12 by ElHoop

I think we are down already tbh, no one has come back from this kind of start, we've made some serious personel errors that cannot be rectified until January by which time no one will want to come to us, and we have too many older players who have played at higher levels and have no hunger for the fight or major need to preserve their career especially up front
Login to get fewer ads

Southampton; The dilema on 13:36 - Nov 12 with 1175 viewsPinnerPaul

Southampton; The dilema on 09:35 - Nov 12 by jeffro

I know what youre saying too fella's though Bosh, 99% of sides get the new manager bounce, normally 2/3 wins in 1st 5 games, see Sunderland last season, going down under Bruce, O'neil comes in and they flew to safety.

I agree we do need 3 points but if that keeps Hughes in because of 1 win, we are doomed long term!!

99% .......really?!
Southampton; The dilema on 13:36 - Nov 12 with 1175 viewsElHoop

Southampton; The dilema on 13:23 - Nov 12 by isawqpratwcity

There is nothing "blindingly obvious" about Hughes keeping us up. There was nothing "blindingly obvious" about our survival last season and he's only doing worse now.

For me, the worst result against the Saints would be a half-arsed win (God forbid that a draw would be sufficient) to persuade TF to stay his hand longer. If we beat the Saints, it better be bloody convincing.

Well it might not be 'blindingly obvious' to you, but to me the fact that Hughes survived to the end of the season would indicate that somewhere along the way we'd have looked a lot less likely to go down.
Southampton; The dilema on 13:40 - Nov 12 with 1162 viewsPinnerPaul

Southampton; The dilema on 10:10 - Nov 12 by jeffro

Ok to spin the question, say we win however 1-0 or 4-0 and we go on to LDLD next 4 games , quite reasonable id say, thats 16 games gone and 9 points...

Hughes stay??

To be fair Jaime i agree, he should be gone already

and we lose, you think we have MORE chance of getting results in next 4 games?

This is getting mental now - IT'S GOING TO BE THE SAME PLAYERS until at least Jan 1st.
Southampton; The dilema on 13:40 - Nov 12 with 1162 viewsQPunkR

In response to an earlier post - Mark Hughes was *never* the answer. Not then, not now, nothing's changed.

And yes I can agree with the OP here, in that if a draw against the fellow worst team in the league finally sees us rid of Hughes and with a competent manager coming in to take the reins and help us to safety, I'm all for it. I never want us to lose but this time I'll take the short-term hit in order to secure our Premiership survival in the medium term

QPR - "shit but local"

Southampton; The dilema on 13:43 - Nov 12 with 1158 viewsPinnerPaul

Southampton; The dilema on 12:33 - Nov 12 by jonno

Nope , don't think he will be but would you then trust the same players NOT to let 4+ in v Man U?
Southampton; The dilema on 13:43 - Nov 12 with 1158 viewsisawqpratwcity

Southampton; The dilema on 13:36 - Nov 12 by ElHoop

Well it might not be 'blindingly obvious' to you, but to me the fact that Hughes survived to the end of the season would indicate that somewhere along the way we'd have looked a lot less likely to go down.

Sorry, no. Thjere was nothing "blindingly obvious' about Hughes keeping us up last season. You sound silly for even suggesting it.

Southampton; The dilema on 13:44 - Nov 12 with 1153 viewsElHoop

Southampton; The dilema on 13:43 - Nov 12 by isawqpratwcity

Sorry, no. Thjere was nothing "blindingly obvious' about Hughes keeping us up last season. You sound silly for even suggesting it.

Who was talking about last season?
Southampton; The dilema on 13:44 - Nov 12 with 1125 viewsNorthernr

Southampton; The dilema on 13:43 - Nov 12 by PinnerPaul

Nope , don't think he will be but would you then trust the same players NOT to let 4+ in v Man U?

Letting in four at Man Utd is a bit different to letting in four at home to Southampton.
Southampton; The dilema on 13:50 - Nov 12 with 1113 viewsPinnerPaul

Southampton; The dilema on 13:44 - Nov 12 by Northernr

Letting in four at Man Utd is a bit different to letting in four at home to Southampton.

Agree Clive.

My point was if we lose by 4 to Soton with Hughes, same players without Hughes v Man U - can we really expect a drastic change.

Week after week you have highlighted lack of application/effort/skill etc.

I'm not at all convinced a new manager is going to bring the improvement everyone thinks.

I suppose the other side of the coin is why should the players suddenly improve under Hughes now?

I'm just fed up with it all now TBH!

Southampton; The dilema on 13:58 - Nov 12 with 1096 viewsNorthernr

Southampton; The dilema on 13:50 - Nov 12 by PinnerPaul

Agree Clive.

My point was if we lose by 4 to Soton with Hughes, same players without Hughes v Man U - can we really expect a drastic change.

Week after week you have highlighted lack of application/effort/skill etc.

I'm not at all convinced a new manager is going to bring the improvement everyone thinks.

I suppose the other side of the coin is why should the players suddenly improve under Hughes now?

I'm just fed up with it all now TBH!

Yeh I am too. They've tried something, it hasn't worked, and whatever happens next feels a bit hopeless TBH. I'm starting to wonder if we might go through and entire season without winning at all!
Southampton; The dilema on 13:59 - Nov 12 with 1090 viewsrrrspricey

Outrageous op, can any true fan EVER want their team to win such an important game.

As for all those calling for Hughes head, were you there at the Etihad watching us take the game to the champions? at home to the scum watching us to the same to them? at WHL watching us tear one of the best teams in the country a new one in the first half.

Not only do i think we have the nucleus of a great side and that MH can keep us up but i also really struggle to think of a competent replacement who'd be willing to join us in our current position.
Southampton; The dilema on 14:05 - Nov 12 with 1085 viewsisawqpratwcity

Southampton; The dilema on 13:44 - Nov 12 by ElHoop

Who was talking about last season?

Now there I agree with you. Our having survived last season, I accepted Hughes contention that we wouldn't find ourselves in that position again. And yet in spite of more huge outlay (including some very good players), we find ourselves much worse off.

He has to go. The longer he stays, the more difficult for his replacement.

Southampton; The dilema on 14:10 - Nov 12 with 1070 viewsJamie

Southampton; The dilema on 13:59 - Nov 12 by rrrspricey

Outrageous op, can any true fan EVER want their team to win such an important game.

As for all those calling for Hughes head, were you there at the Etihad watching us take the game to the champions? at home to the scum watching us to the same to them? at WHL watching us tear one of the best teams in the country a new one in the first half.

Not only do i think we have the nucleus of a great side and that MH can keep us up but i also really struggle to think of a competent replacement who'd be willing to join us in our current position.

Fun fact - which qpr regular didn't feature in any of those games?
Southampton; The dilema on 14:13 - Nov 12 with 1067 viewswestberksr

a big part of the dilema is now how & with who do we try and beat S'ton. A couple of occassions in the past 2 games I've wanted to jump on the pitch and punch three quarters of our defence for their basic lack of effort or concentration.

my mate had an electric collar fitted to his dog to zap it under control when it was being unruly; can we fit these on Traore, Anton and Unibrow? Then zap the fukkers when they go to sleep or bitch about decisions while the balls in play

just can't see that defence keeping us up; without thinking about the rest of the team
Southampton; The dilema on 14:18 - Nov 12 with 1062 viewsElHoop

Southampton; The dilema on 14:05 - Nov 12 by isawqpratwcity

Now there I agree with you. Our having survived last season, I accepted Hughes contention that we wouldn't find ourselves in that position again. And yet in spite of more huge outlay (including some very good players), we find ourselves much worse off.

He has to go. The longer he stays, the more difficult for his replacement.

Well you might be agreeing with something that I didn't say! I think maybe we should stick with it there if you're happy!

Southampton; The dilema on 14:21 - Nov 12 with 1060 viewsNov77

Southampton; The dilema on 14:13 - Nov 12 by westberksr

a big part of the dilema is now how & with who do we try and beat S'ton. A couple of occassions in the past 2 games I've wanted to jump on the pitch and punch three quarters of our defence for their basic lack of effort or concentration.

my mate had an electric collar fitted to his dog to zap it under control when it was being unruly; can we fit these on Traore, Anton and Unibrow? Then zap the fukkers when they go to sleep or bitch about decisions while the balls in play

just can't see that defence keeping us up; without thinking about the rest of the team

Poll: December goal of the month - vote for your favourite R's goal during December

Southampton; The dilema on 14:43 - Nov 12 with 1049 viewsadhoc_qpr

The way i see it is Hughes is taking us down currently - we are on course join Derby as the worst ever prem team currently with diabolical home and away form.

Keeping Hughes is of course TF's decision and his right, but he'll be the one scrabbling to sell players, cut costs and find a buyer most likely.

If we replace Hughes now a new manager has a chance to remotivate the team, get to work on the training pitch and find a fresh tactical approach - big ask for sure but this could bring a turnaround on our results.

The cost of sacking Hughes is nothing compared to cost of relegation.

Hughes is blowing the best chance the club has ever had to move up a rung on the football ladder and become an established prem club with the enormous TV deal to take care of our financial future.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024