Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Shrimps to be potted by DC's Super U's at Mazuma Stadium 15:48 - Sep 13 with 4956 viewsdurham_exile

This weekend sees DC’s charges head north west to the Mazuma Stadium Morecambe. The 284-mile journey, one of the longest for the U’s this season. By contrast it is only 62 miles for me and one of my shorter trips.

Frankly this is a game that we should be capable of winning and I am predicting a 2-0 success for the super U’s.

5 points after 5 games suggests another season of struggle, but I am confident that our players will begin to gel in DC’s new squad as he determines his best XI to start and strongest bench of substitutes.

However, what is his best XI?

My view is that we should be starting in Lancashire as follows 3,4,3:

Macey

Flanagan Goodliffe Iandolo

Egbo Payne Read Woodyard

Edwards Tovide Taylor

Subs:
Smith Scully Anderson Bishop Donnelly Hopper Gordon

Once again the subs should be used to maximum impact but DC needs a settled starting XI.

Weather in Morecambe will be sunny, 17 degrees Celsius, dry but breezy.

Derek Adams side will be eager to get off to a good start after disappointing results albeit all league games have resulted in 1-0 defeats. One thing is certain we do not need another Away performance like that experienced at FGR last season.

I want to see Tovide and Taylor on the scoresheet tomorrow.

Safe journey to the travelling faithful.

Enjoy the game.

Up the U’s

Durham_exile

Shrimps to be potted by DC's Super U's at Mazuma Stadium on 06:02 - Sep 15 with 1341 views442

I’m a big fan of DC and I believe he will come good eventually. I just wish he would stop changing half the team each game. Some times it’s needed and sometimes it’s not. Yesterday was a perfect example of when it’s not. We had found our footing and were looking in control. We could have cruised home.

He also needs to stop bigging up the opposition every week as if we’re playing Brazil. Every time I listen to his prematch interview I come away thinking “it sounds like we might struggle against them”. He convinced me Morecambe were a decent team. Turns out they weren’t. Can’t believe we drew that game.
[Post edited 15 Sep 7:50]
Shrimps to be potted by DC's Super U's at Mazuma Stadium on 09:41 - Sep 15 with 1236 viewsTheOldOakTree

I missed the game, so can't comment, but one worrying observation. Of the 6 teams we've played so far, only 1 is in the top 14 places in the league, and they stuffed 4 passed us (albeit with the help of the ref).
[Post edited 15 Sep 9:42]
Shrimps to be potted by DC's Super U's at Mazuma Stadium on 10:54 - Sep 15 with 1195 viewswessex_exile

So, objectively in the cold light of day.

We were poor for most of the first 15-20 minutes and struggled to string passes together and establish any sort of rhythm. Their goal was a worldie, nothing Macey could do much about, but it did at least give us a bit of a kick up the arse. Second half of the first half we finally started to gel, although Morecambe were still a threat against our disjointed back line.

Two simple yellow cards and they’re down to 10 men (after their manager had already received the same). Lovely free kick in from Bishop and there was Edwards to rightly level the score. Second half things really started to click against an exceptionally poor side, great poachers finish from Samson to take the lead, and then an even better pass to give Taylor his first goal for the U’s. On Taylor, his touch looked a bit rusty for much of the first half, but he was really settling in and causing problems.

However, we were still allowing Morecambe chances, even at 3-1 we didn’t look safe. Having failed to convert a string of half-decent chances to extend the lead, the biggest mistake of the afternoon was unfortunately probably Danny Cowley’s. Swapping Read for Bishop I could understand, but not withdrawing Taylor, Goodliffe and Edwards in rapid succession. I get it’s all about team and game management, and 3-1 up against 10 men we should have been home and hosed, but it just ruined the cohesion and left us back as we were in the beginning of the first half.

As for the capitulation, you couldn’t make it up. Another incredibly soft penalty, even if Macey was a fingertip away from keeping out a perfect spot kick. Then Scully crashes one off the underside of the bar and the normally reliable Anderson blazes high and wide in front of an open goal. And finally, the coup de grace - lanky ex-Shrimper Dackers spurns the chance to equalise with a shot that was heading closer to the corner flag than the goal, only for it to cannon off Flanagan’s head and loop past a flat-footed Macey. Even though we tried, by then we were too disjointed to come back from that.

Danny talks about taking the learning often, I hope he does from yesterday.

Up the U's
Poll: How will we do in 2016/17
Blog: Knees-up Mother Brown #24

Shrimps to be potted by DC's Super U's at Mazuma Stadium on 11:32 - Sep 15 with 1160 viewsMarkyMark47

Shrimps to be potted by DC's Super U's at Mazuma Stadium on 00:01 - Sep 15 by durham_exile

You ask about Taylor.

First he belies his age. He is certainly fit enough to play 90 minutes.

He has a good understanding with Tovide and is always looking to get onto crosses from the outstanding Payne.

His hold up play is very good and he is prepared to track back and equally to pick up the ball from deep and run with it or lay off a pass to a colleague.

His heading ability is very good and his awareness in the box is both sharp and insightful.

I have been impressed by his attitude and his willingness to work hard during the game.

I am critical of DC for bringing both he and Samson Tovide off when he did.

Morecambe didn't know how to combat them and we would certainly have scored more goals had they remained on the field.

Taylor is already a firm favourite with the faithful and at the end of the game Taylor came back onto the pitch to salute the fans and to very much show he is a team player.

Both he and Tovide deserved their goals today and for the first time in several seasons we have a partnership worth pursuing up front.

DC has learned a hard lesson today

By all means use the subs but not when we are well on top and in total control.

Substitutions were made today at the wrong time and wrested the momentum away from Colchester.

I hope you can understand not only the contribution made by Taylor to the team but also his ability to score and contribute to goals.

Perhaps if you view some extended highlights You will be able to understand just what a contribution Lyle Taylor made to the team.

Up the U's
[Post edited 15 Sep 0:04]

Thanks for your thoughts. The great thing about football is that we all see different qualities (or not) in players. If you were at the match yesterday maybe you saw more of those qualities. I was watching the terrible coverage on ifollow and of course you miss a lot of the off ball work. That said, I have seen Taylor at the JCS and, so far, am not convinced. To me, he looks bulky (see photos of his physique from a few years ago) and off the pace. He does track back but not to the extent that Hopper does. I think he needs more time to convince the faithful - it's early days yet. He certainly hasn't got the kind of positive and enthusiastic response that Akinde always got, at least in the area where I sit.
Shrimps to be potted by DC's Super U's at Mazuma Stadium on 12:01 - Sep 15 with 1139 viewsmfb_cufc

Extended Highlights

Samson on Morecambe draw

[Post edited 15 Sep 12:06]

mfb

Shrimps to be potted by DC's Super U's at Mazuma Stadium on 12:37 - Sep 15 with 1123 viewsfranksic1988

Shrimps to be potted by DC's Super U's at Mazuma Stadium on 06:02 - Sep 15 by 442

I’m a big fan of DC and I believe he will come good eventually. I just wish he would stop changing half the team each game. Some times it’s needed and sometimes it’s not. Yesterday was a perfect example of when it’s not. We had found our footing and were looking in control. We could have cruised home.

He also needs to stop bigging up the opposition every week as if we’re playing Brazil. Every time I listen to his prematch interview I come away thinking “it sounds like we might struggle against them”. He convinced me Morecambe were a decent team. Turns out they weren’t. Can’t believe we drew that game.
[Post edited 15 Sep 7:50]

This is something that really flabbergasts me his constant talking up of the opposition. He could make a hung over Sunday league team like a prime Barcelona. He has more facts and figures than an accountant doing a tax return. But we fail time and time again to do our job.

It’s league 2 football just concentrate on what we are doing. The rest will fall into place.

He doesn’t seem to have the rite train of thought. It’s all over the gaff.
Shrimps to be potted by DC's Super U's at Mazuma Stadium on 13:39 - Sep 15 with 1097 viewsTheOldOakTree

Shrimps to be potted by DC's Super U's at Mazuma Stadium on 21:36 - Sep 14 by MarkyMark47

According to his Wikipedia page, he's an ex-model. He has some sort of TV deal with Sky. This is a guy with an exit strategy. Another post referred to him as having the agility of a cart horse. I agree!

I wonder if he's ever considered Player/Manager one day?

Ticks at least two Cowling boxes.
1. Saves money
2. Internal appointment

He seems to know what he's talking about and he doesn't spout constant bullshit, both are attributes that would be a big step in the right direction.
Shrimps to be potted by DC's Super U's at Mazuma Stadium on 15:55 - Sep 15 with 1012 viewsSparkfilmsTV

I listened to the match in my garage between around 3.30 till 4.30. We were leading 3 - 1 and l thought it was game over.

I went indoors to frame some art ( and made such a mess of it l had to start again ). At about 5.45 l switched on the TV to check out the results on the text.

It said - Morecambe 3 Colchester 3. I had to look again. We were up against 10 men who didn't sound much above National League North level - if that.

It was quite a shock. I was fully expecting Morecambe 1 Colchester 5. That is what it should have been.

I attended the recent Brentford match and enjoyed the evening and the football but as my interest in sport has drained away in recent years sides of Morecambe's calibre are unlikely to entice me back to The Jobserve later in the season.

I like what the Cowley's are about but was rather perplexed when Danny described Division 2 as a 'brilliant league'.

I don't rate the league much and would be looking to win it.
[Post edited 15 Sep 15:58]
Login to get fewer ads

Shrimps to be potted by DC's Super U's at Mazuma Stadium on 19:39 - Sep 15 with 860 viewsnoah4x4

I was at the game….

1. First Morecambe goal marginally offside.
2. Linesman then missed three foul throws. Front foot “no-ball” by about 3 feet!
3. We vocally complain to linesman - who then (justifiably) flags foul throws four & five!
4. Morecambe manager, Adams complains, gets sent to stand.
5. Steward tells us player gets away with this every week.
6. U’s take complete control. Zero threat from ten man home team.
7. DC makes five bizarre changes in 8 minutes.
8. We fall apart in final 10 minutes. No shape, no coordination, just awful.

The Cowley honeymoon is over. Hopper, Anderson, Hunt just not good enough. Anderson miss of the century. My granny could have scored with her eyes shut.

Six hour journey home. £100 out of pocket. Cowleys and Players should hang their heads in shame.
(No subject) (n/t) on 19:39 - Sep 15 with 860 viewsnoah4x4

Shrimps to be potted by DC's Super U's at Mazuma Stadium on 22:04 - Sep 15 with 791 viewsMarkyMark47

Shrimps to be potted by DC's Super U's at Mazuma Stadium on 19:39 - Sep 15 by noah4x4

I was at the game….

1. First Morecambe goal marginally offside.
2. Linesman then missed three foul throws. Front foot “no-ball” by about 3 feet!
3. We vocally complain to linesman - who then (justifiably) flags foul throws four & five!
4. Morecambe manager, Adams complains, gets sent to stand.
5. Steward tells us player gets away with this every week.
6. U’s take complete control. Zero threat from ten man home team.
7. DC makes five bizarre changes in 8 minutes.
8. We fall apart in final 10 minutes. No shape, no coordination, just awful.

The Cowley honeymoon is over. Hopper, Anderson, Hunt just not good enough. Anderson miss of the century. My granny could have scored with her eyes shut.

Six hour journey home. £100 out of pocket. Cowleys and Players should hang their heads in shame.

I could only watch the live stream but at the final whistle my first thought was "what about all the people who'd travelled to Morecambe?". I feel your pain.
Shrimps to be potted by DC's Super U's at Mazuma Stadium on 08:54 - Sep 16 with 713 viewsRSCOSWORTH

A point away from home.

Another point closer to securing League Two football for another season.

Both strikers on the scoresheet and three goals scored.

Onto the next one.

Poll: How many polls will Leadbelly do this season?

Shrimps to be potted by DC's Super U's at Mazuma Stadium on 09:47 - Sep 16 with 694 viewsburnsieespana

Shrimps to be potted by DC's Super U's at Mazuma Stadium on 15:55 - Sep 15 by SparkfilmsTV

I listened to the match in my garage between around 3.30 till 4.30. We were leading 3 - 1 and l thought it was game over.

I went indoors to frame some art ( and made such a mess of it l had to start again ). At about 5.45 l switched on the TV to check out the results on the text.

It said - Morecambe 3 Colchester 3. I had to look again. We were up against 10 men who didn't sound much above National League North level - if that.

It was quite a shock. I was fully expecting Morecambe 1 Colchester 5. That is what it should have been.

I attended the recent Brentford match and enjoyed the evening and the football but as my interest in sport has drained away in recent years sides of Morecambe's calibre are unlikely to entice me back to The Jobserve later in the season.

I like what the Cowley's are about but was rather perplexed when Danny described Division 2 as a 'brilliant league'.

I don't rate the league much and would be looking to win it.
[Post edited 15 Sep 15:58]

Slightly tongue in cheek maybe and what he meant was, results are unpredictable as anybody can beat anybody apart from when you have a Wrexham in it.
Shrimps to be potted by DC's Super U's at Mazuma Stadium on 13:37 - Sep 16 with 630 viewsCrashBandicoot

Not a great result, going 3-1 up and only drawing against 10 men - we need to be more ruthless though we are finding the net now.

But we are on 6 points and a number of teams look in far worse shape than us atm.

I am thinking half full rather than half empty at the moment but I wouldn't write our season off after 6 games just yet. Hopefully LT and ST will become regular goal scorers for us - we need them to as the defence still seems to be gelling and DC needs to keep the players likely to win us matches on the pitch.

Poll: Who would you like as next Us head coach

Shrimps to be potted by DC's Super U's at Mazuma Stadium on 15:19 - Sep 16 with 599 viewsRSCOSWORTH

Shrimps to be potted by DC's Super U's at Mazuma Stadium on 13:37 - Sep 16 by CrashBandicoot

Not a great result, going 3-1 up and only drawing against 10 men - we need to be more ruthless though we are finding the net now.

But we are on 6 points and a number of teams look in far worse shape than us atm.

I am thinking half full rather than half empty at the moment but I wouldn't write our season off after 6 games just yet. Hopefully LT and ST will become regular goal scorers for us - we need them to as the defence still seems to be gelling and DC needs to keep the players likely to win us matches on the pitch.

In our first season in the Championship we had six points after six games. In our promotion season we only had five points after six games. And the last time we reached the play-offs we had eight points after six games. Like you say, it's not great but there's a long way to go and definitely positives to be taken from the performances so far.

Poll: How many polls will Leadbelly do this season?

Shrimps to be potted by DC's Super U's at Mazuma Stadium on 16:12 - Sep 16 with 577 viewsmfb_cufc

Danny - We won't brush anything under the carpet

mfb

Shrimps to be potted by DC's Super U's at Mazuma Stadium on 18:03 - Sep 16 with 528 viewsMarkyMark47

Shrimps to be potted by DC's Super U's at Mazuma Stadium on 08:54 - Sep 16 by RSCOSWORTH

A point away from home.

Another point closer to securing League Two football for another season.

Both strikers on the scoresheet and three goals scored.

Onto the next one.

Yeah, and let's hope for sensible use of subs in future.
Shrimps to be potted by DC's Super U's at Mazuma Stadium on 08:37 - Sep 17 with 369 viewsBLACKCAT

Shrimps to be potted by DC's Super U's at Mazuma Stadium on 15:19 - Sep 16 by RSCOSWORTH

In our first season in the Championship we had six points after six games. In our promotion season we only had five points after six games. And the last time we reached the play-offs we had eight points after six games. Like you say, it's not great but there's a long way to go and definitely positives to be taken from the performances so far.

In 1912-13 Sunderland drew two and lost five of their first seven league games leaving them on two points. It was a 38 match season and two points for a win of course. Sunderland won the league by a four point margin ahead of Aston Villa.

So with 120 points still to play for it is, as you say, very early days.
Shrimps to be potted by DC's Super U's at Mazuma Stadium on 13:02 - Sep 17 with 292 viewsTheOldOakTree

Shrimps to be potted by DC's Super U's at Mazuma Stadium on 15:19 - Sep 16 by RSCOSWORTH

Our first six games in the Championship included:

Birmingham City, West Bromwich Albion, Derby County, Burnley, Plymouth Argyle and Barnsley.

18 years later and it’s the dizzy heights of:
Morecambe, Bromley, Accrington Stanley, Harrogate Town, MK Dongs and AFC Wimbledon.

I remember leaving our first game at St Andrews in 2006 thinking that we were going to be thrashed every week. A few months later and we were serious contenders for the play-offs. A couple of wins on the bounce and the world would look a lot more rosy.
Shrimps to be potted by DC's Super U's at Mazuma Stadium on 13:15 - Sep 17 with 274 viewsTheOldOakTree

Shrimps to be potted by DC's Super U's at Mazuma Stadium on 13:02 - Sep 17 by TheOldOakTree

Our first six games in the Championship included:

Birmingham City, West Bromwich Albion, Derby County, Burnley, Plymouth Argyle and Barnsley.

18 years later and it’s the dizzy heights of:
Morecambe, Bromley, Accrington Stanley, Harrogate Town, MK Dongs and AFC Wimbledon.

I remember leaving our first game at St Andrews in 2006 thinking that we were going to be thrashed every week. A few months later and we were serious contenders for the play-offs. A couple of wins on the bounce and the world would look a lot more rosy.

If you woke up from a 10 year coma and saw that Braintree’s fixture list included Oldham, Southend, Rochdale, Halifax, Hartlepool and Aldershot, whereas ours included Bromley, Barrow, Harrogate, Morecambe, Fleetwood and Salford, you could be excused for thinking that the world had gone mad.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024