Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Charlie Austin ADHD 08:49 - Aug 28 with 6405 viewsStreathamRanger

Charlie posted on twitter yesterday that he'd been diagnosed with ADHD. Said the medication he had been given has been life changing. He's just been on Radio 5 (around 8:45am for anyone who wanted to listen) talking about it.

[Post edited 28 Aug 8:50]
Charlie Austin ADHD on 19:25 - Aug 28 with 1229 viewsRsinWales

Charlie Austin ADHD on 10:31 - Aug 28 by Hooping_Mad

Increased awareness leads to increased diagnosis. Is it over diagnosed, probably.

Is it real? definitely.

I wish everyone had their health, never appreciated mine till it made for the hills.

I am a psychologist, and this is a good take on the current state of play.

Hope your health is in a better place now HM.
Charlie Austin ADHD on 19:36 - Aug 28 with 1179 viewsGaryHaddock

Charlie Austin ADHD on 18:31 - Aug 28 by hoops_legend

Bizarre post to a club legend and especially on a topic like this. I think he was one of our best strikers ever in first stint and in his second, despite clearly lacking fitness, still had real class

Well, I hold two truths about CA.

1. He scored lots of goals, especially in his first stint, gaining us promotion in the process and should be celebrated and loved for it.

2. He was incredibly disrespectful to this club at the end of his first stint, and during the second. It should be noted that this is his own admission too (Undr The Cosh).

Otherwise I can see how my snide remark was in bad taste bearing the topic in mind and I apologise. Our heroes are complicated which is why I avoid putting them on pedestals.
[Post edited 29 Aug 8:07]
Charlie Austin ADHD on 19:42 - Aug 28 with 1154 viewsBrianMcCarthy

Charlie Austin ADHD on 19:20 - Aug 28 by larsricchi

My son was diagnosed two years ago. He desperately wanted help via diagnosis and medication so that his life would NOT be defined by it. The transformation once he got his meds dialed in (which didn’t take too long) was incredible. Ended up graduating with honors and started university this week.

I will admit I was hesitant to have him seen for it. I hated myself for the delay once I saw the result.

Our example is anecdotal … and it is true.

That's great to hear. Delighted for you both.

I'll use that example. It might persuade others to seek help. Thanks.

"The opposite of love, after all, is not hate, but indifference."
Poll: Player of the Year (so far)

Charlie Austin ADHD on 19:52 - Aug 28 with 1123 viewsthame_hoops

From looking at the traits online, I apparently have ADHD, I’m a narcissist and also a psychopath. Who knew!
Charlie Austin ADHD on 21:08 - Aug 28 with 1028 viewsCiderwithRsie

Charlie Austin ADHD on 10:24 - Aug 28 by dannyblue

Happy to be educated about how wrong I am, but I'm very suspicious of all this. Every fcker under the sun has suddenly got ADHD. It's an epidemic of diagnoses. And if everyone has ADHD then isn't it just part of being human? And do we need to medicalise just being a normal human? Obviously there are extreme cases who can really do with help...but do we really need to drug the long tail of people who just say yes to a few simple questions in a 12 minute GP appointment?

If anyone is under the impression that the NHS dished out drugs to people after a few questions and a 12 minute chat then they are sadly misinformed about the state of NHS budgets.

My son went through all the tests, which took about two years and came out as inconclusive either way, though with sufficient evidence to suggest that some anti-depressants would help him (which he says they do.)

When he first told me about it I was quite shocked, partly because I had an ignorant view of what the condition is and partly because when he explained it to me I had to apologise for failing to spot any of the signs during his childhood, because I thought it was just behaviour and characteristic he had inherited from me - at which point he said "Yeah, might be a bit late for you, Dad" and the penny dropped.

Interestingly, earlier this year I had to see my GP about some symptoms and they picked up on the possibility that I might have it and handed me the initial questionnaire. Guess what? I can't get round to finishing it.
[Post edited 28 Aug 23:44]
Charlie Austin ADHD on 21:13 - Aug 28 with 1011 viewsCiderwithRsie

On the "isn't this just part of being human" thing, that used to be said all the time about depression.

IMO to some extent it's true, but then so is arthritis or high blood pressure when you get older "part of big human" and we don't refuse to treat those on the basis that we don't want to medicate everyone.

Some degree of illness, physical or mental, quite probably both, during your life is normal, that's why we all have a GP. And lots of it is treatable. So why wouldn't you treat it?

God knows there are still plenty of bloody awful things that you can't treat.
Charlie Austin ADHD on 21:29 - Aug 28 with 972 viewsParkRoyalR

Charlie Austin ADHD on 21:13 - Aug 28 by CiderwithRsie

On the "isn't this just part of being human" thing, that used to be said all the time about depression.

IMO to some extent it's true, but then so is arthritis or high blood pressure when you get older "part of big human" and we don't refuse to treat those on the basis that we don't want to medicate everyone.

Some degree of illness, physical or mental, quite probably both, during your life is normal, that's why we all have a GP. And lots of it is treatable. So why wouldn't you treat it?

God knows there are still plenty of bloody awful things that you can't treat.

Unfortunately I'm quite cynical about Austins character and motivations,

These things tend to generate positive headlines and put you back in the shop window for work as a pundit etc

Also if you've got a bad name in the game it's a bit of it wasn't the real me it was ADHD and I'm a different person today type lyric,

It also covers off numerous previous indiscretions, don't like to talk ill of people but I don't buy him, sorry. Took us for fools.
Charlie Austin ADHD on 22:46 - Aug 28 with 894 viewsbaz_qpr

So I have teenage children, my youngest was diagnosed with Autism about 18 months ago. One morning she woke up and just started screaming like a stereotypical mad person in the park. She would break into these animalistic screams 3 or 4 times a day. We started to see Tourettes like symptoms too. Trying to get any mental health support was a complete nightmare to be honest in the NHS non existent unless there is a suicide attempt and we had found out that from her internet searches she had done so. Everyone we spoke to CAMHS etc thought it was classic autism but the waiting list to be seen was nearly 18 months and we did not think she would survive it that long. In the end I stumped up the cash with family help and took her to the Priory (even that was a 4 month wait).

In the meantime we were referred to the The Autistic Society and went on a parenting course. I learnt a lot about Neurodiversity in this time.

She was diagnosed with Autism and they were very keen to test for ADHD as well, but I was not really keen. The Psychiatrist wanted to medicate but we were really uncomfortable about putting 12/13 year old on meds, and in the end CAMHS once we had provided the private diagnosis put her on some talking therapies.

However the diagnosis itself seemed to be the thing that really turned it around for her. She is high functioning (very high functioning) and we together have learnt to manage her and she has learnt to manage herself without going down the meds route (she goes for about 3 or 4 walks a day listens to podcasts. She can still blow but it's usually related to anxiety about a school test or something and her anxiety is not being perfect or coming top in the class. She plans to go to med school and be a doctor (a neurologist believe it or not!)

Now we have learnt a lot of things in this period and not just about our daughter.

My son who is older (having done the tests with our daughter) is almost certainly Autistic too.

My partners bother was a Paranoid Schizophrenic who died a few years ago almost certainly neurodiverse

There has been alcoholism and other issues and there is some ADHD we see in cousins.

My point is this, the knowledge I've gained from going through this and understanding how lives have been ruined because the original neurodiversity be it Autism, ADHD or others has not been picked up , recognised acknowledge and managed, and it can lead to much more serious conditions especially when Anxiety comes into play as it does with many.

It does not have to medicalised with drugs but some people will self medicate with Alcohol, weed or other drugs.

At least 1 in 50 people are on the Autism spectrum, 1 in 20 for ADHD. Their life experience is very different to neurotypical. So good on Charlie for coming forward and speaking not just of his own struggles but that of his kids as well. And as a parent that has gone through this and still goes through this and would not wish it on my worst enemy please accept that people are different and sometimes we have to make allowances and be kind if people are different not cruel.
Login to get fewer ads

Charlie Austin ADHD on 23:51 - Aug 28 with 829 viewsrobith

Danny blue - thanks for your even handed reply, I don't want to clog up the board quoting it.

One thing I would just add is whilst I understand your nervousness on drugs - the prescription rate is between 55-60%. Further, there are huge lags on diagnosis, it's hard to get prescribed and then there are frequent NHS shortages. People are not being doled out these medications willy nilly to dope them up, they're often having to work fairly hard to get them at all
Charlie Austin ADHD on 07:39 - Aug 29 with 638 viewsPlanetHonneywood

Charlie Austin ADHD on 13:30 - Aug 28 by Boston

Yeah, I've got ADHD, and I'm a Gemini, coupled with red hair and short in stature, I really don't know how I made it this far.

Well, Mr. Colbeck, I think we all better understand why you get booked and sent off so often.

'Always In Motion' by John Honney available on amazon.co.uk
Poll: Who should do the Birmingham Frederick?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024