Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Saints 3 Bordeaux 2 - Initial thoughts on match? 12:01 - Jul 24 with 2592 viewsFlamingbankers

First half thought Dibling and Sam Amo played well and looked promising. Lis looked OK overall as back -up. Charles looked reasonable in the middle. Charley flattered to deceive - looks like he needs a lot more match time. Second half: Sulemana showed he could be a handful for any defence in the Prem ( with such an electric turn of pace) if we can integrate him effectively. Indeed the forward line of Sulemana, Armstrong and Stewart ( if he can actually get some injury free match time) could help keep us in the Prem. Smallbone came on displaying a more physical version so might fit nicely with Downes in the centre of the midfield. Boot looked pretty good at centre back. Sugawara is class and will be a Saints favourite this year.
[Post edited 24 Jul 12:04]
Saints 3 Bordeaux 2 - Initial thoughts on match? on 12:10 - Jul 24 with 2553 viewsSalisburySaint

I thought Lis was awful
Saints 3 Bordeaux 2 - Initial thoughts on match? on 12:17 - Jul 24 with 2535 viewsdirk_doone

Dibling, Amo-Ameyaw and Sugawara were our best players. Lis was probably our worst. He looked like a centre forward playing in goal. He can't catch a ball so he nearly always punches it, which led to their second goal. The ball is like a hot brick in his hands and near the end he fumbled it to a Bordeaux player, who fortunately hit the post or that would have been a third for them too. He was so bad that he reminded me of when I played in goal.

On this evidence, as long as he avoids injury, Sugawara is already assured of starting at Newcastle. I'd like to see Dibling and Amo-Ameyaw play at least some part in that game too, because thay have something we've lacked: the ability to run through defences.

The rumours about another club being interested in Aribo may be true because in the 30 minutes he was on the pitch, Russell Martin kept shouting "Give the ball to Joe" and every time Aribo so much as moved, he shouted, "Well done Joe."
[Post edited 24 Jul 19:49]

Poll: Who will win the Premier League this season?

Saints 3 Bordeaux 2 - Initial thoughts on match? on 12:31 - Jul 24 with 2479 viewsFlamingbankers

Lis made a good front post stop early on and then a good punch from a corner. He didn't have an opportunity to catch anything. Doesn't look mightily assured on the ball but played one good pass over the top in the second half. But is he really much worse than the other three keepers we've got? Nevertheless, we definitely need a class Premiership goalie - at the moment we haven't got one.
Saints 3 Bordeaux 2 - Initial thoughts on match? on 12:38 - Jul 24 with 2469 viewsdirk_doone

Saints 3 Bordeaux 2 - Initial thoughts on match? on 12:31 - Jul 24 by Flamingbankers

Lis made a good front post stop early on and then a good punch from a corner. He didn't have an opportunity to catch anything. Doesn't look mightily assured on the ball but played one good pass over the top in the second half. But is he really much worse than the other three keepers we've got? Nevertheless, we definitely need a class Premiership goalie - at the moment we haven't got one.

Currently, we must have the worst set of goalkeepers in the Premier League. We really need to buy a proper goalkeeper before the Newcastle game. Ramsdale would do.

I'm reading Duncan Hamilton's biography of Brian Clough, who thought that the goalkeeper was the most important player on the pitch. He said that breaking Forest's transfer record to get Peter Shilton was the main reason they won the league.

Not having a top class goalkeeper was the main reason we got relegated from the Premier League the last time. Let's not repeat the same mistake.
[Post edited 24 Jul 12:42]

Poll: Who will win the Premier League this season?

Saints 3 Bordeaux 2 - Initial thoughts on match? (n/t) on 12:51 - Jul 24 with 2428 viewsSalisburySaint

[Post edited 24 Jul 18:20]
Saints 3 Bordeaux 2 - Initial thoughts on match? on 12:55 - Jul 24 with 2416 viewsIfonly

I agree with the comments critical of Lis. In the PL, up against a decent pressing team, that type of performance is absolutely guaranteed to give away goals. If he stuck to long clearances instead of pissing around then he would be better (wouldn't all our keepers?) but even with shot stopping and crosses he looked dodgy.
Saints 3 Bordeaux 2 - Initial thoughts on match? on 13:08 - Jul 24 with 2377 viewsPatfromPoole

Are we saying that Lis appears not to have benefitted from a year playing in Turkey??

Perhaps some food for thought for those who feel Onuachu would be good enough to play in the Prem, and that signing Brazilians and dumping them in Turkey for 2 years will reap dividends......

Poll: Would you take Ward-Prowse back?

Saints 3 Bordeaux 2 - Initial thoughts on match? on 13:33 - Jul 24 with 2328 viewsIfonly

Saints 3 Bordeaux 2 - Initial thoughts on match? on 13:08 - Jul 24 by PatfromPoole

Are we saying that Lis appears not to have benefitted from a year playing in Turkey??

Perhaps some food for thought for those who feel Onuachu would be good enough to play in the Prem, and that signing Brazilians and dumping them in Turkey for 2 years will reap dividends......

I think this is more an issue about style of play, rather than Turkey. In the game today (from what I saw) the main problem with Lis was the short passing around our box. It wasn't up to much and would be easily picked off. His performance suggests he didn't play this style in Turkey and hasn't had a chance to get comfortable with it. So, the problem was probably the playing style of the club he went to rather than the league. I should add that he wasn't exactly helped by our 2nd half defence either.
Login to get fewer ads

Saints 3 Bordeaux 2 - Initial thoughts on match? on 13:41 - Jul 24 with 2293 viewsPatfromPoole

Saints 3 Bordeaux 2 - Initial thoughts on match? on 13:33 - Jul 24 by Ifonly

I think this is more an issue about style of play, rather than Turkey. In the game today (from what I saw) the main problem with Lis was the short passing around our box. It wasn't up to much and would be easily picked off. His performance suggests he didn't play this style in Turkey and hasn't had a chance to get comfortable with it. So, the problem was probably the playing style of the club he went to rather than the league. I should add that he wasn't exactly helped by our 2nd half defence either.

Goztepe don’t piss about with the ball in their own penalty area?

Ankersen needs to have a word…..
[Post edited 24 Jul 14:38]

Saints 3 Bordeaux 2 - Initial thoughts on match? on 14:15 - Jul 24 with 2211 viewsmushinexile

Lis - Lost in space.
Saints 3 Bordeaux 2 - Initial thoughts on match? on 14:50 - Jul 24 with 2140 viewskingslandstand1

Saints 3 Bordeaux 2 - Initial thoughts on match? on 12:38 - Jul 24 by dirk_doone

Currently, we must have the worst set of goalkeepers in the Premier League. We really need to buy a proper goalkeeper before the Newcastle game. Ramsdale would do.

I'm reading Duncan Hamilton's biography of Brian Clough, who thought that the goalkeeper was the most important player on the pitch. He said that breaking Forest's transfer record to get Peter Shilton was the main reason they won the league.

Not having a top class goalkeeper was the main reason we got relegated from the Premier League the last time. Let's not repeat the same mistake.

Shilts was also one of the main reasons we stayed up as well in the time he was here
Saints 3 Bordeaux 2 - Initial thoughts on match? on 14:58 - Jul 24 with 2118 viewsBazza

Think it wiser to prioritise on a good goalkeeper than a new striker.
Even without Stevens there was some scary messing around in the goal area.
[Post edited 24 Jul 15:03]
Saints 3 Bordeaux 2 - Initial thoughts on match? on 15:40 - Jul 24 with 1947 viewsPatfromPoole

I had assumed there would be a Sports Republic "playbook" or similar, and that all the clubs owned by them would play the same way (?).....

Saints 3 Bordeaux 2 - Initial thoughts on match? on 15:56 - Jul 24 with 1808 viewsTimSaint

Saints 3 Bordeaux 2 - Initial thoughts on match? on 14:50 - Jul 24 by kingslandstand1

Shilts was also one of the main reasons we stayed up as well in the time he was here

Stayed Up ?

We finished 2nd in 1984 and 5th in 1985 while Shilts was in goal for us !!
Plus a couple of FA Cup semi finals.

TimSaint

Saints 3 Bordeaux 2 - Initial thoughts on match? on 16:06 - Jul 24 with 1711 viewskingslandstand1

Saints 3 Bordeaux 2 - Initial thoughts on match? on 15:56 - Jul 24 by TimSaint

Stayed Up ?

We finished 2nd in 1984 and 5th in 1985 while Shilts was in goal for us !!
Plus a couple of FA Cup semi finals.

I really think I should do some homework prior to posting "FACTS" rather than relying on memory especially as that early 80's period was probably the most enjoyable period being a Saints fan! (except maybe the recent top 6-8 period)

Owns up to looking a tvvat!
[Post edited 24 Jul 16:07]
Saints 3 Bordeaux 2 - Initial thoughts on match? on 16:16 - Jul 24 with 1631 viewssaint22

Saints 3 Bordeaux 2 - Initial thoughts on match? on 12:38 - Jul 24 by dirk_doone

We NEED a keeper!!
it should have been the first signing we made
if we don't we are down
Saints 3 Bordeaux 2 - Initial thoughts on match? on 16:57 - Jul 24 with 1323 viewsIfonly

Saints 3 Bordeaux 2 - Initial thoughts on match? on 15:40 - Jul 24 by PatfromPoole

I had assumed there would be a Sports Republic "playbook" or similar, and that all the clubs owned by them would play the same way (?).....

Maybe one day (God help us) but RM's only been at Saints for a year and I'm dam sure he's not going to be taking any instructions from Goztepe.
Saints 3 Bordeaux 2 - Initial thoughts on match? on 17:03 - Jul 24 with 1285 viewsIfonly

Agree with the comments about keepers. The other thing about them is they're relatively cheap. Stopping a goal is as important as scoring one, but a top class keeper is cheaper than a top class striker.

Our problem is that new keepers will only be considered if they can play with their feet. That makes it difficult because there are very few that are genuinely good with both their hands and their feet. We did a lot better when Baz was injured and we stopped worrying about the keeper playing football. We should be carrying that on and just signing someone who is a good traditional keeper. But today's game showed that isn't the plan.
Saints 3 Bordeaux 2 - Initial thoughts on match? on 22:16 - Jul 24 with 834 viewsRon11

Back to pissing around in the penalty area and giving the ball away?
Please not again
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024