Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
The Summer of ‘24 - ins, outs and maybes 09:43 - Apr 28 with 62727 viewswessex_exile

As suggested on the matchday thread, let’s kick off the traditional summer transfer speculation. I’ll start with our current loanees. I doubt Palace would release Owen Goodman, and if they did, would we want him or even be able to afford him? Of the rest, I’d definitely like to see Alastair Smith and maybe Riley Harbottle sign if they were released. As for the rest, they’ll be heading back to make room for new choices.

Up the U's
Poll: How will we do in 2016/17
Blog: Knees-up Mother Brown #24

The Summer of ‘24 - ins, outs and maybes on 22:19 - Jul 19 with 3503 viewsBFG

https://www.braintreeandwithamtimes.co.uk/sport/24464932.former-colchester-unite
The Summer of ‘24 - ins, outs and maybes on 07:25 - Jul 20 with 3435 viewsburnsieespana

The Summer of ‘24 - ins, outs and maybes on 20:26 - Jul 19 by BFG

I guess the flurry of loanee's still to come and that's that

DC doesn't seems keen on loans.
The Summer of ‘24 - ins, outs and maybes on 08:07 - Jul 20 with 3426 viewsTheOldOakTree

The Summer of ‘24 - ins, outs and maybes on 07:25 - Jul 20 by burnsieespana

DC doesn't seems keen on loans.

It might be a case of beggars can’t be choosers? It’s not the way to build for the future, but some of our best players were loanees last year. We would be non-league if it wasn’t for Taylor’s goals.

If NC goes, that means all the players who were offered contracts, have said no thanks and with the dubious quality of signings so far, it doesn’t look like there’s a stampede of talent wanting to wear the blue and white.

5 players sold in a year, but it looks like we’ve recruited a bunch of out of contract, out of form, freebies. Where’s all the money?

I would expect another 3 or 4 quality signings before Aug 10th
The Summer of ‘24 - ins, outs and maybes on 16:02 - Jul 20 with 3340 viewsfranksic1988

The Summer of ‘24 - ins, outs and maybes on 08:07 - Jul 20 by TheOldOakTree

It might be a case of beggars can’t be choosers? It’s not the way to build for the future, but some of our best players were loanees last year. We would be non-league if it wasn’t for Taylor’s goals.

If NC goes, that means all the players who were offered contracts, have said no thanks and with the dubious quality of signings so far, it doesn’t look like there’s a stampede of talent wanting to wear the blue and white.

5 players sold in a year, but it looks like we’ve recruited a bunch of out of contract, out of form, freebies. Where’s all the money?

I would expect another 3 or 4 quality signings before Aug 10th

In reality you needed DC and NC to take over end of the season. If we had scrapped by and stayed up then they had taken over, I genuinely think the out of contract players and ones on the verge of staying may of been tempted. When you think of the genuine buzz that was about from everyone in the club when they took over.. the players that have left have had half a season under them. So naturally will make their minds up on them.. players that could have been tempted to come to the build something, will say you had half a season and done nothing I’ll look elsewhere. They have had to resort to signing players that played for them 8 years ago. This seasons signing have been a major factor of how we finished last season.
The Summer of ‘24 - ins, outs and maybes on 22:30 - Jul 20 with 3220 viewsCrashBandicoot

I think DC has at the moment done whats needed to be done in terms of giving the team a decent backbone - the main thing we lacked last season which led to us finishing where we did. BG made the club into a more attacking unit but we simply lacked the quality to get it forward and lack of backbone left us open. If Joe Taylor had much better support from the other players and the club a decent backbone I think we would have been a lot higher up.

ME just appeared follow orders from above and aside from promising early results never really had a proper game plan as such

Also we have done our business early this time which will settle the team and not left it late like last summer which didn't help matters.

Who comes in next and whether NC stays or moves on we will just have to wait & see but I think we're in a better position than last season and at the very least we appear much more organised. Also I think more quality players will arrive soon though I think DC prefers bringing in permanent signings than loanees though he will bring the latter if/when he feels that he has to.

Poll: Who would you like as next Us head coach

The Summer of ‘24 - ins, outs and maybes on 08:32 - Jul 21 with 3160 viewsfranksic1988

The Summer of ‘24 - ins, outs and maybes on 22:30 - Jul 20 by CrashBandicoot

I think DC has at the moment done whats needed to be done in terms of giving the team a decent backbone - the main thing we lacked last season which led to us finishing where we did. BG made the club into a more attacking unit but we simply lacked the quality to get it forward and lack of backbone left us open. If Joe Taylor had much better support from the other players and the club a decent backbone I think we would have been a lot higher up.

ME just appeared follow orders from above and aside from promising early results never really had a proper game plan as such

Also we have done our business early this time which will settle the team and not left it late like last summer which didn't help matters.

Who comes in next and whether NC stays or moves on we will just have to wait & see but I think we're in a better position than last season and at the very least we appear much more organised. Also I think more quality players will arrive soon though I think DC prefers bringing in permanent signings than loanees though he will bring the latter if/when he feels that he has to.

Yes most of this season will come down to attitude and work ethic. If you look on face value we had a very good team last year… vast majority of our players have moved on up league. So we didn’t have a crap team. They just never all worked together. As long as the team knits together and works hard we will have a better season… but I disagree on more quality players arriving. It would be very hard to draw a quality player to us after last season. I’d not be against taking a punt on lower league guy that looked good.
The Summer of ‘24 - ins, outs and maybes on 10:33 - Jul 22 with 2959 viewsDaniel

I was unable to attend the open day yesterday, but I saw someone share a photo on social media of what looks like the new squad numbers in the changing room. Interestingly 2, 6, and 8 we're free, which suggests some more signings are on the way.
The Summer of ‘24 - ins, outs and maybes on 17:43 - Jul 22 with 2815 viewswessex_exile

The Summer of ‘24 - ins, outs and maybes on 10:33 - Jul 22 by Daniel

I was unable to attend the open day yesterday, but I saw someone share a photo on social media of what looks like the new squad numbers in the changing room. Interestingly 2, 6, and 8 we're free, which suggests some more signings are on the way.

Noah wasn't in the team photo either, or at least not the one I saw - but then again, if his future is still currently undecided, that would kind of make sense to stay away.

Up the U's

Login to get fewer ads

The Summer of ‘24 - ins, outs and maybes on 20:30 - Jul 22 with 2752 viewsRSCOSWORTH

The Summer of ‘24 - ins, outs and maybes on 17:43 - Jul 22 by wessex_exile

Noah wasn't in the team photo either, or at least not the one I saw - but then again, if his future is still currently undecided, that would kind of make sense to stay away.

It was rumoured he was signing for Cambridge but now I'm hearing it might be Orient. Moncur might be heading back this way as well.

Poll: How many polls will Leadbelly do this season?

The Summer of ‘24 - ins, outs and maybes on 07:44 - Jul 23 with 2639 viewsburnsieespana

The Summer of ‘24 - ins, outs and maybes on 20:30 - Jul 22 by RSCOSWORTH

It was rumoured he was signing for Cambridge but now I'm hearing it might be Orient. Moncur might be heading back this way as well.

Maybe because Cambridge can't find the compo we require.
Personally would have thought Leyton O a better bet for him.
George Moncur thoughts?
The Summer of ‘24 - ins, outs and maybes on 10:15 - Jul 23 with 2604 viewsgerry_us

Rumoured Sammy Szmodics heading to Ipswich. Now that would be a kick in the crotch
The Summer of ‘24 - ins, outs and maybes on 10:44 - Jul 23 with 2594 viewsburnsieespana

The Summer of ‘24 - ins, outs and maybes on 10:15 - Jul 23 by gerry_us

Rumoured Sammy Szmodics heading to Ipswich. Now that would be a kick in the crotch

The crotch won't be quite so sore if we still get a drink from the transfer.
The Summer of ‘24 - ins, outs and maybes on 12:34 - Jul 23 with 2550 viewsRSCOSWORTH

Tom Flanagan signs. One year deal.

https://www.cu-fc.com/news/2024/july/23/u-s-sign-flanagan/

https://www.soccerbase.com/players/player.sd?player_id=52040&season_id=156

The Summer of ‘24 - ins, outs and maybes on 08:24 - Jul 24 with 2323 viewswessex_exile

The Summer of ‘24 - ins, outs and maybes on 12:34 - Jul 23 by RSCOSWORTH

Tom Flanagan signs. One year deal.

https://www.cu-fc.com/news/2024/july/23/u-s-sign-flanagan/

https://www.soccerbase.com/players/player.sd?player_id=52040&season_id=156

Good signing - very experienced defender, for the most part at Championship and League 1 level. Quite honest too - he could have gone elsewhere, but decided his best chance for one last hurrah in his career was with Danny at the U’s.

Up the U's

The Summer of ‘24 - ins, outs and maybes on 11:09 - Jul 24 with 2285 viewsRSCOSWORTH

The Summer of ‘24 - ins, outs and maybes on 08:24 - Jul 24 by wessex_exile

Good signing - very experienced defender, for the most part at Championship and League 1 level. Quite honest too - he could have gone elsewhere, but decided his best chance for one last hurrah in his career was with Danny at the U’s.

In terms of pedigree and experience, especially at a higher level, this could be the best signing of the summer so far. We certainly aren't going to have the youngest team in the division next season. I reckon there's still one or two permanent deals to be done and a couple of loan signings.

Tottenham have a 19 year old forward, Jamie Donley, who grew up in Colchester and scored two goals at the WHCS for Tottenham U21's last season. Maybe he could be tempted into a season long loan back in his home town (city)?

The Summer of ‘24 - ins, outs and maybes on 15:11 - Jul 25 with 2008 viewsCrashBandicoot

The Summer of ‘24 - ins, outs and maybes on 11:09 - Jul 24 by RSCOSWORTH

In terms of pedigree and experience, especially at a higher level, this could be the best signing of the summer so far. We certainly aren't going to have the youngest team in the division next season. I reckon there's still one or two permanent deals to be done and a couple of loan signings.

Tottenham have a 19 year old forward, Jamie Donley, who grew up in Colchester and scored two goals at the WHCS for Tottenham U21's last season. Maybe he could be tempted into a season long loan back in his home town (city)?

Well David Beckham played for Preston on loan for a few matches when they were in the old third division (now League 2) so it would make sense & get him some experience if he is currently down the pecking order there.
[Post edited 25 Jul 15:13]

Poll: Who would you like as next Us head coach

The Summer of ‘24 - ins, outs and maybes on 11:39 - Jul 29 with 1398 viewsRSCOSWORTH

Teddy Bishop, Lincoln midfielder who was previously at Ipswich, is another one I'm hearing noises about.

The Summer of ‘24 - ins, outs and maybes on 17:18 - Jul 29 with 1323 viewsfranksic1988

The Summer of ‘24 - ins, outs and maybes on 11:39 - Jul 29 by RSCOSWORTH

Teddy Bishop, Lincoln midfielder who was previously at Ipswich, is another one I'm hearing noises about.

If he is over 30 then it’s a defo goer 😂
The Summer of ‘24 - ins, outs and maybes on 17:32 - Jul 29 with 1310 viewsmfb_cufc

The Summer of ‘24 - ins, outs and maybes on 17:18 - Jul 29 by franksic1988

If he is over 30 then it’s a defo goer 😂

Only 28.

mfb

The Summer of ‘24 - ins, outs and maybes on 20:26 - Jul 29 with 1250 viewsfranksic1988

The Summer of ‘24 - ins, outs and maybes on 17:32 - Jul 29 by mfb_cufc

Only 28.

If hasn’t played under DC and NC before it’s touch and go!
The Summer of ‘24 - ins, outs and maybes on 20:43 - Jul 31 with 961 viewsRSCOSWORTH

Chilvers departure now confirmed. Not sure where he’s off to but he’s definitely gone. Lovely statement from him especially considering some of the unwarranted abuse he got last season. A talented footballer who did an awful lot for this football club and probably would’ve done even better in a side not battling against relegation.

The Summer of ‘24 - ins, outs and maybes on 21:19 - Jul 31 with 923 viewsdurham_exile

The Summer of ‘24 - ins, outs and maybes on 20:43 - Jul 31 by RSCOSWORTH

Chilvers departure now confirmed. Not sure where he’s off to but he’s definitely gone. Lovely statement from him especially considering some of the unwarranted abuse he got last season. A talented footballer who did an awful lot for this football club and probably would’ve done even better in a side not battling against relegation.

Chilvers has signed for Ross County.

Wish him well.

Durham_exile

The Summer of ‘24 - ins, outs and maybes on 21:31 - Jul 31 with 907 viewsghughes11

The Summer of ‘24 - ins, outs and maybes on 21:19 - Jul 31 by durham_exile

Wish him well.

oh no! Really?!? - so no compensation then either!

Poll: What was the main reason for the Col U win versus Carlisle?

The Summer of ‘24 - ins, outs and maybes on 21:35 - Jul 31 with 889 viewsghughes11

The Summer of ‘24 - ins, outs and maybes on 21:31 - Jul 31 by ghughes11

oh no! Really?!? - so no compensation then either!

Undisclosed fee apparently - not sure how that works - I thought SPL have different compensation rules? Wasn't that what happened with Drey Wright?

https://www.cu-fc.com/news/2024/july/31/chilvers-departs-for-spl/

Poll: What was the main reason for the Col U win versus Carlisle?

The Summer of ‘24 - ins, outs and maybes on 22:17 - Jul 31 with 835 viewsgerry_us

The Summer of ‘24 - ins, outs and maybes on 21:19 - Jul 31 by durham_exile

Wish him well.

Well, we know he wanted to get away but North of Inverness is taking it to extreme isn't it?
Will watch Ross County results to see if he fits in. Wish him well.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024