Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Any Air source heat pump 20:05 - Aug 28 with 1615 viewsmax936

Engineers on here or anyone that know any, got a fault with my 10kw ASHP?

Poll: Will it Snow this coming Winter

Any Air source heat pump on 11:01 - Aug 31 with 1483 viewscontroversial_jack

How do you find these heat pumps, do they work well?
Any Air source heat pump on 14:36 - Aug 31 with 1444 viewsJACKMANANDBOY

Have a neighbour with a modern well insulated house he says it works pretty well. Another friend has one but it keeps breaking down, getting a replacement part is a problem for her. Her heating has been out of use since February.
If you have an older property, say with solid stone walls then an Air Source Heat Pump is not likely to be suitable. The Scottish Government commissioned an interesting report into the technical feasibility of low carbon heating that referenced the problem with older buildings and other issues for example the problem with salt in the atmostphere where properties are within 5K of the coastline.

https://www.gov.scot/publications/technical-feasibility-low-carbon-heating-domes

Besian Idrizaj Forever a Jack
Poll: When will Duff Revert to 4 at the Back

Any Air source heat pump on 15:02 - Aug 31 with 1427 viewscontroversial_jack

Any Air source heat pump on 14:36 - Aug 31 by JACKMANANDBOY

Have a neighbour with a modern well insulated house he says it works pretty well. Another friend has one but it keeps breaking down, getting a replacement part is a problem for her. Her heating has been out of use since February.
If you have an older property, say with solid stone walls then an Air Source Heat Pump is not likely to be suitable. The Scottish Government commissioned an interesting report into the technical feasibility of low carbon heating that referenced the problem with older buildings and other issues for example the problem with salt in the atmostphere where properties are within 5K of the coastline.

https://www.gov.scot/publications/technical-feasibility-low-carbon-heating-domes

Winter time will be the real test. while they work when the outside temp is really low, how much does efficiency drop off when the compressor has to work harder?
Any Air source heat pump on 15:17 - Aug 31 with 1423 viewsJACKMANANDBOY

Scottish Goverment says -5C or more is a problem.

Any Air source heat pump on 15:42 - Aug 31 with 1413 viewscontroversial_jack

Any Air source heat pump on 15:17 - Aug 31 by JACKMANANDBOY

Scottish Goverment says -5C or more is a problem.

OK, thanks for that
Any Air source heat pump on 16:36 - Aug 31 with 1396 viewsJACKMANANDBOY

Any Air source heat pump on 15:42 - Aug 31 by controversial_jack

OK, thanks for that

There will be a host of assumptions associated with it; it will depend on the level of insulation of any property and the efficacy of the heating systems inside the home.
If you are thinking about a ASHP do your research using reliable sources and get a decent registered provider to do a full survey and estimate of all the installations and adaptions your home needs. It is not straightforward.

Any Air source heat pump on 18:55 - Aug 31 with 1379 viewskrunchykarrot

Any Air source heat pump on 11:01 - Aug 31 by controversial_jack

How do you find these heat pumps, do they work well?

Cost a fortune, if not sized correctly there is a small chinook landing on your patio, KW estimates are always on the low side so it overworks. You will need to lose the space of a small bedroom for the cylider and controls. Forget it if your house is not insulated better than a penguins chuff. Also on say a typical winters day of below 5 degrees it takes forever to warm up from ambient, with the external heater on unit working flat out. So great if you have a wind turbine.

There is a long way to go in my opinion.
Any Air source heat pump on 19:37 - Aug 31 with 1354 viewscontroversial_jack

Any Air source heat pump on 18:55 - Aug 31 by krunchykarrot

Cost a fortune, if not sized correctly there is a small chinook landing on your patio, KW estimates are always on the low side so it overworks. You will need to lose the space of a small bedroom for the cylider and controls. Forget it if your house is not insulated better than a penguins chuff. Also on say a typical winters day of below 5 degrees it takes forever to warm up from ambient, with the external heater on unit working flat out. So great if you have a wind turbine.

There is a long way to go in my opinion.

They only heat water to anout 55c at most, which isn’t enough to kill legionella bacteria
Login to get fewer ads

Any Air source heat pump on 20:15 - Aug 31 with 1350 viewsJACKMANANDBOY

Any Air source heat pump on 19:37 - Aug 31 by controversial_jack

They only heat water to anout 55c at most, which isn’t enough to kill legionella bacteria

Also means you may well need more radiators and or bigger central heating pipes.

Any Air source heat pump on 20:42 - Aug 31 with 1340 viewsmax936

Mine just keeps my pond water temperature stable, fluctuations over a drop of 2 degrees in water temperature can cause parasite issues with the fish, so I just use it to keep water temps stable, I adjust the heaters temperature as the temps drop due to air temp dropping its only a 10kw one which copes well with the volume of water I got.

Any Air source heat pump on 21:09 - Aug 31 with 1324 viewsmax936

Any Air source heat pump on 20:15 - Aug 31 by JACKMANANDBOY

Also means you may well need more radiators and or bigger central heating pipes.

They are more suited to underfloor heating, far more beneficial then, therefore they are better when installed on new builds.

Any Air source heat pump on 21:15 - Aug 31 with 1323 viewsmax936

Ground source systems are more efficient as the heat exchangers are buried at a given depth as to where the temperature is pretty much constant.

Any Air source heat pump on 22:06 - Aug 31 with 1291 viewscontroversial_jack

Any Air source heat pump on 21:15 - Aug 31 by max936

Ground source systems are more efficient as the heat exchangers are buried at a given depth as to where the temperature is pretty much constant.

Need more garden space for those
Any Air source heat pump on 22:23 - Aug 31 with 1287 viewsmajorraglan

My brother in law has recently built a timber framed bungalow, it’s got under floor heating and it’s been fitted with an air source heat system by another family member who is a plumber, it’s really efficient and does a brilliant job. That said, these days new build houses are extremely well insulated and on my brother in law’s house the external walls have multilayered foil insulation plus 6 inches of either rock wool or cellotex, the attic has a minimum of 15 inches of insulation and the slab is also insulated with around 10cm of cellotex.
The plumber (family member) will not fit air source in to older properties as they are not suitable, he reckons they’re a complete waste of money in older properties as they won’t warm the house and electricity bills are very high. He was recently asked to look at a system installed by another plumber as the customer was having difficulty heating the house, the customer wasn’t happy on being told the system was unsuitable and should never have been installed!
Any Air source heat pump on 22:55 - Aug 31 with 1272 viewsmax936

Any Air source heat pump on 22:23 - Aug 31 by majorraglan

My brother in law has recently built a timber framed bungalow, it’s got under floor heating and it’s been fitted with an air source heat system by another family member who is a plumber, it’s really efficient and does a brilliant job. That said, these days new build houses are extremely well insulated and on my brother in law’s house the external walls have multilayered foil insulation plus 6 inches of either rock wool or cellotex, the attic has a minimum of 15 inches of insulation and the slab is also insulated with around 10cm of cellotex.
The plumber (family member) will not fit air source in to older properties as they are not suitable, he reckons they’re a complete waste of money in older properties as they won’t warm the house and electricity bills are very high. He was recently asked to look at a system installed by another plumber as the customer was having difficulty heating the house, the customer wasn’t happy on being told the system was unsuitable and should never have been installed!

I've fitted a few in industrial premises on old heating systems, of which they are totally unsuitable for those applications, including clarifiers which in essence are a much larger version of the domestic indirect cylinders in layman's terms, but with a lot more to them, a flow from them supply's heated water to a heat exchanger and and then returns to the clarifier in basic terms.

As you say they work well installed correctly for the purpose in new builds, but waste of time, effort and more importantly money in older properties both domestic and commercial

Any Air source heat pump on 06:40 - Sep 1 with 1234 viewsPawelAbbott

I have had one for a couple of years. I didn't know much about it at first, so cranked the heating up in winter. I had a massive shock when the first bill came in. 2 or 3 times what I was paying before.
They only go to about 47 degrees. Anything above that, even 1 or 2 degrees, and it runs off the Immersion heater to go above its limit.
I got the engineer in and he adjusted all the settings. Things like the hit water, if you have a shower with the mixer tap on half way, then turn the boiler down a few degrees and the mixer tap on full. It saves a fortune.
Overall, it has been OK since. Nothing like as good as a gas boiler but better and cheaper than just electric.
Any Air source heat pump on 20:33 - Sep 1 with 1147 viewsmax936

Any Air source heat pump on 06:40 - Sep 1 by PawelAbbott

I have had one for a couple of years. I didn't know much about it at first, so cranked the heating up in winter. I had a massive shock when the first bill came in. 2 or 3 times what I was paying before.
They only go to about 47 degrees. Anything above that, even 1 or 2 degrees, and it runs off the Immersion heater to go above its limit.
I got the engineer in and he adjusted all the settings. Things like the hit water, if you have a shower with the mixer tap on half way, then turn the boiler down a few degrees and the mixer tap on full. It saves a fortune.
Overall, it has been OK since. Nothing like as good as a gas boiler but better and cheaper than just electric.

Great info that Pawel Thanks.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024