Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Who is Leon balogun 18:02 - Aug 26 with 14191 viewsenfieldargh

singed

captains fantastic
Poll: SWEET F'IN CAROLINE. Played every half time

Who is Leon balogun on 22:51 - Aug 26 with 2303 viewsDejR_vu

If we needed another CB why did we let De Wijs go? 🫤

Poll: Season tickets - who’s renewing?

Who is Leon balogun on 23:01 - Aug 26 with 2255 viewsCiderwithRsie

Ted Hendrix always speaks a lot of sense, but can't help feeling a bit worried.

Expected this season to be one to grit the teeth and get through, like Warbs' first one. But feels as though Beale has less grip than MW. Not sure it's his fault, but not sure the controls are responding to him either.

Hoping for the best, trying not to think about the worst.
Who is Leon balogun on 23:05 - Aug 26 with 2241 viewsSuffolk

The timing of this signing makes me wonder if there are concerns over JCS's durability over the course of the season. Alternatively could be safeguarding in the event of a bid for Dickie.
Who is Leon balogun on 23:09 - Aug 26 with 2226 viewsHunterhoop

Who is Leon balogun on 19:31 - Aug 26 by olderR

If he isn’t better than any of them why sign him, surely he wants experience on the pitch .
Our current players won’t improve on the bench.

Quite. Hence my comment that he better be bloody cheap. We don’t have money to be arsing about signing 34yr olds to sit on the bench. They either need to make the first XI significantly better (as there’s no resale value) or we shouldn’t be signing them. And for this bloke to start, two of Dickie, Dunne and JCS aren’t playing (well, at least one if we go to a back 3). It’s just not in line with the stated strategy and approach from Beale himself. This part of the side is NOT the issue. Why are we spending any budget here?

If we sell Dickie or Dunne, then fine, but hopefully we get good value for them.

And if we do change shape, the obvious question is why he wasn’t using preseason to focus on this shape. Nothing we’ve seen on the pitch this season is widely different to what we expected pre-season. We lack goals, our full backs are week, midfield a bit unathletic, but the keeper, centre halves, Sam Field and Chris Willock are all excellent for this level.
Who is Leon balogun on 00:57 - Aug 27 with 2053 viewsSydneyRs

Probably similar to the Wallace signing. If fit he can probably do a decent job for us but he's not been without his injury concerns. Overall I think we'd agree Wallace brought more positives than negatives.

Remains to be seen whether he turns out to be a Ryan Nelson or a Rio Ferdinand.
Who is Leon balogun on 01:33 - Aug 27 with 2021 viewsDannyPaddox

Tesi Balogun

I’ve asked this before but does any other QPR player have a stadium named after them?

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Teslim_Balogun_Stadium

Wiki says he is a cousin of Chuck Berry
Who is Leon balogun on 02:00 - Aug 27 with 1996 viewsDamo1962

Who is Leon balogun on 20:12 - Aug 26 by Burnleyhoop

A tad Clive.

We haven’t been able to field anything like a full side for what, 25 games? It is now getting beyond a joke and we need to sort it. The hope was Beale might be able to bring through some of the development boys, but he has had a good look, given one or two the opportunity to stick around the first team but the rest are not what he wants or needs. Fair play if you ask me. We need to ship them out and build a much stronger squad.

Roberts, Richards and Salter are of the standard that he can develop further with a genuine chance of selling further down the line.

Balogun comes in on a free, on a one year contract, as our player, not a loan from another club. This, I think, makes a big difference. I don’t see the problem with it being someone that Beale knows and rates highly. I understand that we have had our fingers burnt in similar situations, but I for one, have more faith in Beale than most. The Balogun interview just reinforces that belief.

We need to build a more resilient squad instead of constantly hoping that our best eleven might one day eventually make it out onto the pitch together, because if they don’t, we look a very basic outfit.

Bring on the seriously overdue changes.….just don’t screw the club over financially whilst your at it.

This. Perfect analysis of our situation regards squad.
Who is Leon balogun on 02:04 - Aug 27 with 2007 viewsozexile

Is he fit? Has he done a pre season? Or are we going to have to wait 6 or 7 weeks for an appearance? Then the obligatory muscle pull. And we're looking at a sub appearance around Xmas. Yes I know I'm talking hypothetically but jeez this club wears you down.
Login to get fewer ads

Who is Leon balogun on 02:05 - Aug 27 with 1990 viewsDamo1962

Who is Leon balogun on 01:33 - Aug 27 by DannyPaddox

Tesi Balogun

I’ve asked this before but does any other QPR player have a stadium named after them?

That is a fantastic and evocative photo. Thanks for posting it.
Who is Leon balogun on 07:12 - Aug 27 with 1897 viewsQPROslo

Who is Leon balogun on 21:57 - Aug 26 by BlackCrowe

If he's there as nothing more than cover and doesn't cost much then that's fine. He's straight into the first team, then that's not good.

Beale seems to talk more and more about playing a back 3. He now has 2 wing backs in Laird and Paal to do that, but needed another CB to be able to play 3 at the back anytime before Salter gets back to full fitness, October maybe. Balogun asked about playing in a 3 or a 4 in his welcome interview, said it was the same for him but mentioned the element of surprise ths team gets if they can play both formations. I think Beale wants that, and I hope to see Balogun lining up alongside Dickie and Dunne in a 3 soon, with 2 up front. From what Beale was saying yesterday, possibly will change tomorrow. it seems like Gubbins will go out on loan, and Masterson will stay as back up at CB and DCM.
Who is Leon balogun on 07:42 - Aug 27 with 1830 viewsLadbrokeR

Who is Leon balogun on 18:49 - Aug 26 by Sakura

Also think your being harsh on Beale bringing a centre back in on a free and short term deal.

This won't hinder JCS, Dunne or Dickie. No way. If all fit expect that to be our back 3. If not then yes it may hinder Masterson but are you really that worried about that? If we've get three strong prospects developing in that position

Also Gubbins might be able to go on loan and get minutes now.

Think your being well over the top with this one to be honest

But the broader point is the almost total change in approach. A few weeks back it was talk of this is all what we’ve got and the fans should get behind the players. Infact there was wishful thinking about permutations when everyone is fit. At the same time there was talk of us being patient. It seems the purse strings will be loosened perhaps because in Beales assessment things are a bit worse than his measured narrative would relay. On the either hand maybe this was always his plan.
Who is Leon balogun on 07:57 - Aug 27 with 1806 viewscolinallcars

Who is Leon balogun on 01:33 - Aug 27 by DannyPaddox

Tesi Balogun

And he lived Down The Road A Piece.
Who is Leon balogun on 08:04 - Aug 27 with 1796 viewsLogman

I think a back four of Laird, Paal, Dickie and Dunne is good enough but beyond that the back-up players are not good enough (and obviously JCS is out). So it makes sense to bring a defender with a bit of pedigree in.

In the last game Dozzell had a bit more about him and he got around the pitch more and in the Rotherham players faces. I would like to see this side of his game developed and for him and Field to make Johansen have less game time.
Who is Leon balogun on 08:15 - Aug 27 with 1780 viewsdm97

Who is Leon balogun on 18:29 - Aug 26 by Northernr

Well I'm losing faith in a lot of stuff I had faith in.

If we've got a DOF system, that system is there to prevent a manager bringing a 34 year old bloke he's worked with before in for a position we are relatively (compared to the rest of the team) strong in isn't it? This is just McClaren's 'team of men', Warburton with Wallace and Ball and Moses all over again isn't it? Manager comes in to develop players, makes positive noises about a couple of youngsters, season starts badly, allowed to bring in a 34 year old centre back he knows. It's just Alex Baptiste again isn't it?

Am I wrong? Am I being harsh?

This post has been edited by an administrator

Alex Baptiste wasn't playing in the Europa League the year before mind...

This one irks more than signing loan players from premier league clubs. Signing Archer/Laird/Iroegbunam fits more with the manager's tactical approach and offers longer term benefits in the way of showing those clubs we're a good place to let their best youngsters come (as Warbs was saying a while back - 19/20 season - before he went all Captain of Glasgow Rangers).

Signing a 34 year old is only beneficial to the team if it gets immediate results and if it does great but this just reeks of panic buy. Like you say Clive, he'll probably be another Angel Rangel and we all look stupid but the fact the board/DoF are swayed into this stuff so easily (i wonder if the '@amit get your wallet out' crew have any effect here) is infuriating.
[Post edited 27 Aug 2022 8:16]
Who is Leon balogun on 08:38 - Aug 27 with 1716 viewsSakura

Who is Leon balogun on 20:28 - Aug 26 by BrianMcCarthy

I think a lot of that makes sense, Sakura, genuinely. But there's a lot of contradictory behaviour and speak by Beale as well, which is mildly concerning.

He had three centre-backs plus Masterson and Gubbins and Kakay all through pre-season and never played three at the back.

The lads didn't need their hand holding (Clive's quote above) but now we're signing an old player with no re-sale value and no pre-season who played over thirty games last season for the first time in his career.
Everyone he's going to bring in will make the team stronger and will also make the bench stronger as someone will have to drop out (today's video) (that will be a player we're developing with a re-sale value, by definition). Yet we're a development club, as the finances dictate we have to be.

If this is a one-off, then maybe a case can be made for it. It's just that it contradicts a lot of what he's said and done only a wet week ago.

I think it is at the one off /exception to the tule end

Unfortunately Gubbins is miles off the level currently. The drop down from Dickie to Kakay on right of a back three is huge and same for Masterson on the left for JCS

Now with Balogun you would see Dunne that left side instead of Masterson. So for me it does add some much needed strength in depth this signing

As for the no resale value, a major point here that Clive himself has pointed out in the past is that the mid level Championship player market is dead. You're only really going to get money for the elite Eze types

I think it's unrealistic of us to expect to have a squad of players in that category

So a high level free transfer, in our wage budget, who's apparently excellent at both ends at set pieces ( a real weakness for us) if fine by me as long as we still have that decent core of the elite level type players who might be our next Eze type sale

So that means for us Willock our main hope. Chair potentially some dosh. And at a push Field and Dieng. Wait and see down the line on Armstrong, Richards and JCS

Optimistic we’re on the right track still
[Post edited 27 Aug 2022 8:46]
Who is Leon balogun on 08:47 - Aug 27 with 1676 viewsBrianMcCarthy

Who is Leon balogun on 08:38 - Aug 27 by Sakura

I think it is at the one off /exception to the tule end

Unfortunately Gubbins is miles off the level currently. The drop down from Dickie to Kakay on right of a back three is huge and same for Masterson on the left for JCS

Now with Balogun you would see Dunne that left side instead of Masterson. So for me it does add some much needed strength in depth this signing

As for the no resale value, a major point here that Clive himself has pointed out in the past is that the mid level Championship player market is dead. You're only really going to get money for the elite Eze types

I think it's unrealistic of us to expect to have a squad of players in that category

So a high level free transfer, in our wage budget, who's apparently excellent at both ends at set pieces ( a real weakness for us) if fine by me as long as we still have that decent core of the elite level type players who might be our next Eze type sale

So that means for us Willock our main hope. Chair potentially some dosh. And at a push Field and Dieng. Wait and see down the line on Armstrong, Richards and JCS

Optimistic we’re on the right track still
[Post edited 27 Aug 2022 8:46]

Good, considered post.

I don't agree entirely, but you're making some very good points.

A thought occurred to me this morning that if this kind of signing was mooted a month ago as a possibility/target for the end of the window the reaction to it now would be very favourable rather than mixed. I think, maybe, that it's the poor communication and mixed messages from Beale that have confused many, including me.

But to get back to the positives, yes I agree that in isolation this signing could work, and hopefully does, providing we play three at the back in enough matches.

"The opposite of love, after all, is not hate, but indifference."
Poll: Player of the Year (so far)

Who is Leon balogun on 09:10 - Aug 27 with 1607 viewsgazza1

Who is Leon balogun on 18:08 - Aug 26 by Northernr

Yup.

Could be great. I really hope he is. This time next summer, we need to sign another centre back. Every penny he earns in wage, dead money. Every game he plays ahead of Dickie, Dunne or JCS, a pathway obstructed. It makes absolutely not sense at all in relation to what they've been saying all summer.

This is Beale, one month ago...

"It's quite exciting. They lack a few grey hairs but how many Championship games do you have to play to be classed as ‘experienced’? Jimmy Dunne played 40 games last year. Does he need 40 more to know how to play in the Championship, or does he know now? If I bring somebody, another Yoann, in to hold his hand and Rob’s hand, yeh we’ve got experience, but when do I let these kids grow up? As a father when do you let go of your kid’s hand to allow them to grow up with a bit of independence. That’s what I’m emphasising to the players."

I know where you are coming from Norf but 'needs must'......we only have 3 CB's (Dickie, Dunne & Salter) imho that are good enough - bringing in one more isn't the end of the world. I don't 'spout on' about stuff like money normally because most of that sort of chat is massive guesswork but on this occasion I would expect this is a 'cheapie' in terms of signing on fee, monthly salary and bonuses which I am sure will be related to playing time, wins & club league position.

The extra CB gives MB more options which he must feel that he needs, certainly more experience. Balogun may even turn out to be a very decent signing at a very good price, there are other players at his age that are doing very well, ask Chelsea!!! & the Canadian that we signed a few years back.

Time will tell but I dont have a major issue despite what MB has said in the r
[Post edited 27 Aug 2022 9:16]
Who is Leon balogun on 09:23 - Aug 27 with 1565 viewseastside_r

Who is Leon balogun on 18:29 - Aug 26 by Northernr

Well I'm losing faith in a lot of stuff I had faith in.

If we've got a DOF system, that system is there to prevent a manager bringing a 34 year old bloke he's worked with before in for a position we are relatively (compared to the rest of the team) strong in isn't it? This is just McClaren's 'team of men', Warburton with Wallace and Ball and Moses all over again isn't it? Manager comes in to develop players, makes positive noises about a couple of youngsters, season starts badly, allowed to bring in a 34 year old centre back he knows. It's just Alex Baptiste again isn't it?

Am I wrong? Am I being harsh?

This post has been edited by an administrator

No you’ve absolutely nailed it.

Under MW it wall supposed to be about analytics and our scouting network but just did what other managers had done before and went and signed players he knew from before. With Beale we were expecting a bit of this but up and comers from the various Premier League ‘puppy farms’ ( as you have aptly depicted them.)

Thing is, and I am a defender of the job that Les has done, but in this country very few clubs have perfected the ‘continental’ DOF & Head Coach model.

Look at the best 2 teams in the land. I bet Guardiola and Klopp have significantly more control over the general running of their clubs than they had in Germany. At Bayern, in particular, the DOF is traditionally the main man.

For enthusiasts of this signing, check out his stats against the only meaningful fixtures for GR i.e. the Old Firm. Rarely trusted with a start against Celtic and results decidedly average.
Who is Leon balogun on 10:34 - Aug 27 with 1432 viewsSK_hoops

Who is Leon balogun on 20:11 - Aug 26 by colinallcars

And his favourites band is gnus and roses.

It's a shame he never fulfilled his ambition of playing at the Gnu camp.
Who is Leon balogun on 10:35 - Aug 27 with 1429 viewsbaz_qpr

Who is Leon balogun on 07:42 - Aug 27 by LadbrokeR

But the broader point is the almost total change in approach. A few weeks back it was talk of this is all what we’ve got and the fans should get behind the players. Infact there was wishful thinking about permutations when everyone is fit. At the same time there was talk of us being patient. It seems the purse strings will be loosened perhaps because in Beales assessment things are a bit worse than his measured narrative would relay. On the either hand maybe this was always his plan.

Yeah but if we are trying to get deals done for tuppence hapany and in negotiations probably not sensible to talk about that publicly and to say we are looking for signings, price goes up.

However more likely the position was lets get to 5 games in and make a call on it, and from the interview he alluded that the decision to strengthen has come from above.

What I think has been noticeable is the DOF seems to have been sidelined in all the transfers so far. Everyone has been a "Beale" contact.
Who is Leon balogun on 11:11 - Aug 27 with 1374 viewskernowhoop

Who is Leon balogun on 19:19 - Aug 26 by qprxtc

Didn’t we have a Balogun play for us in the 50s?

Yes. Tesi.
Who is Leon balogun on 11:20 - Aug 27 with 1334 viewsDannytheR

I'd assume all this means Clarke Salter is out longish term. It's been obvious that Dickie and Dunne are too slow to play together in a two, and Dunne isn't good enough on the ball for what Beale is trying to do. And we're *really* up the creek if either of them got injured or suspended - Dunne and Masterson is a relegation partnership.

Like so much around Rangers at the moment, the reaction to this seems a bit hysterical.
[Post edited 27 Aug 2022 11:23]
Who is Leon balogun on 11:41 - Aug 27 with 1268 viewsDejR_vu

Who is Leon balogun on 11:20 - Aug 27 by DannytheR

I'd assume all this means Clarke Salter is out longish term. It's been obvious that Dickie and Dunne are too slow to play together in a two, and Dunne isn't good enough on the ball for what Beale is trying to do. And we're *really* up the creek if either of them got injured or suspended - Dunne and Masterson is a relegation partnership.

Like so much around Rangers at the moment, the reaction to this seems a bit hysterical.
[Post edited 27 Aug 2022 11:23]

I don’t really think the signing, per se, is the issue. It’s more that it’s lifted the curtain a little bit. It just feels like it’s chaotic behind the scenes.

Poll: Season tickets - who’s renewing?

Who is Leon balogun on 11:44 - Aug 27 with 1258 viewsBurnleyhoop

Who is Leon balogun on 10:35 - Aug 27 by baz_qpr

Yeah but if we are trying to get deals done for tuppence hapany and in negotiations probably not sensible to talk about that publicly and to say we are looking for signings, price goes up.

However more likely the position was lets get to 5 games in and make a call on it, and from the interview he alluded that the decision to strengthen has come from above.

What I think has been noticeable is the DOF seems to have been sidelined in all the transfers so far. Everyone has been a "Beale" contact.

The decision on who we can sign largely depends on actual availability and cost.

The analytics boys may well have a list of ideal candidates, but if they are not available or their clubs want more than we can afford then we look elsewhere.

We have to take a mixed, balanced approach based on our financial circumstances whilst trying to improve the squad, continue to assess the viability of our youngsters improving sufficiently in order to put a decent team out every week.

Rangers and most other clubs for that matter, will never achieve the idealistic scenario of bringing top quality players through their academies on a regular basis.

IMO having a pop at Beale, Les and the owners is pointless. They are doing what they can under extremely difficult circumstances and the current approach is far more considered and measured than it has been previously. Maybe not perfect, but surely we can be more optimistic of the direction we are going and the potential of the squad Beale is building?
Who is Leon balogun on 11:53 - Aug 27 with 1220 viewsDannytheR

Who is Leon balogun on 11:41 - Aug 27 by DejR_vu

I don’t really think the signing, per se, is the issue. It’s more that it’s lifted the curtain a little bit. It just feels like it’s chaotic behind the scenes.

Football's chaotic. Everyone involved is looking out for themselves, the game is badly and greedily run from the top down, players get injured, plans change. Sometimes it works out, most of the time it doesn't.

When was it ever different?

And when were Rangers ever different?
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024