Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Match Thread: Rochdale vs Northampton 14:05 - Nov 23 with 13998 viewsRochdaleAFC.com

https://www.fansnetwork.co.uk/football/rochdale/news/53452/match-preview-rochdal

If you want to remove this post from the board index, just click the hide post icon below. To hide all our news posts click the ignore user icon under the avatar.

This post has been edited by an administrator
Match Thread: Rochdale vs Northampton on 20:59 - Nov 24 with 2714 views1907

That is hopefully a message to BBM to have some faith in our attacking players & give over playing 2 holding midfielders, at home, against poor teams.

I said on Sunday we should start with Baah on the left, Rathbone & Lund in the middle, Newby on the right & the difference at the end of the game was staggering.

I don’t know about anyone else but I’ve absolutely had it with Morley knocking 50 yard balls straight to the opposition. EOC & Roberts are good enough to play without a CDM in front.

Brilliant performance from Baah when he came on & sensational free kick from Humphrys. If only we’d made that substitute ten minutes earlier!
Match Thread: Rochdale vs Northampton on 20:59 - Nov 24 with 2694 viewsboromat

As we've seen recently we're going to struggle against teams who park the bus so going a goal down at home is going to be an issue.

On a positive I think today we looked more likely and weren't far off winning the game. Beesley and Humphrys obviously haven't really got any cohesion yet but that'll come. More positives than the weekend but we should be winning that match, we are good enough!

Poll: What are we more excited for?

Match Thread: Rochdale vs Northampton on 21:00 - Nov 24 with 2674 viewsNigeriamark

Match Thread: Rochdale vs Northampton on 20:54 - Nov 24 by oddjob007

Awful team Northampton, 10 men behind the ball, defend all game, time wasting, moaning to the ref.

We’re too slow in attack going forwards, we should be beating these types of teams comfortably with all the possession we have.

1-1 FT. Much better attacking effort than Saturday, but our goal has been the only powerful on target strike in 180 minutes. at least some encouraging change of tact, but we need some confidence in front of goal. Hopefully Humphries can go on a bit of a run of goals because no-one else looks likely at the moment. 1 point out of 6 at home but at least an improvement in intent over the 2 games

Humphries, Roberts, O"Connell & Keohane probably our best players. will give my vote to Humphries because of the goal which was a cracker
Match Thread: Rochdale vs Northampton on 21:03 - Nov 24 with 2622 viewsfunkkk

Only saw the last half hour but Northampton were already well on with their time wasting. A much improved performance based on what I saw and fully deserving of the goal. I was cursing Humphrys for taking the free kick off Newby but what a goal. Ends the losing streak and hopefully builds some confidence.
Match Thread: Rochdale vs Northampton on 21:03 - Nov 24 with 2616 viewsDaleiLama

Match Thread: Rochdale vs Northampton on 19:59 - Nov 24 by Dalenet

We have had 3 shots on target. That is 3 times more than Saturday and only 45 minutes played.....

Much easier on the eye but need to be more clinical with the crossing and you would hope a goal will come

Absolutely DN. It was better than Saturday - performance-wise and more watchable. The concern is our form, most noticeably at home. Fortress Spotland is a distant memory. Last season I got to wondering if it was to do with fans. It isn't. We have won 1, drawn four and lost two, taking 7 points from 21, scoring 6 and conceding 9 and before the goal, we were sat in the relegation zone. I didn't think we were relegation material but our current form (especially at home) seems to possibly be at odds with my opinion. I just hope we can kick on from this. If Humphrys starts to bag a few and Baah gets more playing time, maybe we can start getting more Ws.
[Post edited 24 Nov 2020 21:14]

Up the Dale - NOT for sale!
Poll: Is it coming home?

Match Thread: Rochdale vs Northampton on 21:05 - Nov 24 with 2573 viewsShun

Match Thread: Rochdale vs Northampton on 20:54 - Nov 24 by oddjob007

Awful team Northampton, 10 men behind the ball, defend all game, time wasting, moaning to the ref.

We’re too slow in attack going forwards, we should be beating these types of teams comfortably with all the possession we have.

I’ve always been a huge fan of Northampton as a club (not sure why, just always had a soft spot for them), but they’ve disappointed me tonight. That was every inch an anti-football performance.

Good performance tonight but frustrating that we couldn’t get the 3 points we sorely deserved. Baah made such a difference.
[Post edited 24 Nov 2020 21:06]
Match Thread: Rochdale vs Northampton on 21:06 - Nov 24 with 2551 viewsIOMDale

We deserved a point there. Northampton showed next to no attacking intent after going ahead and started time wasting before HT.

Bola was weirdly reticent to attack tonight; can’t imagine it was instruction as we’re narrow enough as it is. Morley seems to divide opinion but personally, I thought he was very poor tonight. Those floaty, Wembley-style passes were being gobbled up by Northampton’s huge defence, yet he persisted in trying them all night.

Baah needs to start at the weekend, he was excellent when he came on, constantly looking to run at the defence - Keohane was a useful foil too, with his overlapping runs. Thought Newby looked tired; he was full of effort but nowt was coming off.

Humphrys is going to be huge for us when fully fit. His hold-up play and strength stood out tonight and he was constantly trying to turn his marker and run at goal. I’d go with a front three of him, Baah and Beesley at home, with Newby sat at the top of a midfield three. We should be looking to swarm teams like Wimbledon and Northampton at home, if they insist on sitting back and letting us try to break through.
Match Thread: Rochdale vs Northampton on 21:09 - Nov 24 with 2491 viewsD_Alien

Absolutely vital we ended that run of four losses, and in doing so keep our noses just ahead of the bottom four

A week's rest now and if players returning from long-term injury like Humphrys & Baah are able to offer something that's been woefully missing we might just be in with a chance of edging enough games to keep afloat, but it's going to be a very tough season. We probably knew it would be, but the back-to-back away wins and the Sunderland game seemed to offer the prospect of something more

22 shots is the kind of stat i'm interested in, even with only 5 on target (according to BBC) but if we can show more consistent positive intent i'll risk a tenner on iFollow again

Poll: What are you planning to do v Newport

Login to get fewer ads

Match Thread: Rochdale vs Northampton on 21:10 - Nov 24 with 2473 viewsMolly

Match Thread: Rochdale vs Northampton on 21:00 - Nov 24 by Nigeriamark

1-1 FT. Much better attacking effort than Saturday, but our goal has been the only powerful on target strike in 180 minutes. at least some encouraging change of tact, but we need some confidence in front of goal. Hopefully Humphries can go on a bit of a run of goals because no-one else looks likely at the moment. 1 point out of 6 at home but at least an improvement in intent over the 2 games

Humphries, Roberts, O"Connell & Keohane probably our best players. will give my vote to Humphries because of the goal which was a cracker

What no Baah?--Humbug!!!
Match Thread: Rochdale vs Northampton on 21:17 - Nov 24 with 2374 viewsDaleiLama

Match Thread: Rochdale vs Northampton on 21:09 - Nov 24 by D_Alien

Absolutely vital we ended that run of four losses, and in doing so keep our noses just ahead of the bottom four

A week's rest now and if players returning from long-term injury like Humphrys & Baah are able to offer something that's been woefully missing we might just be in with a chance of edging enough games to keep afloat, but it's going to be a very tough season. We probably knew it would be, but the back-to-back away wins and the Sunderland game seemed to offer the prospect of something more

22 shots is the kind of stat i'm interested in, even with only 5 on target (according to BBC) but if we can show more consistent positive intent i'll risk a tenner on iFollow again

I felt like not bothering tonight but it was worth it for the period after Baah came on alone

Up the Dale - NOT for sale!
Poll: Is it coming home?

Match Thread: Rochdale vs Northampton on 21:20 - Nov 24 with 2336 viewsDMR90

Such a shame the fans weren't there after the equaliser to really push the team on.

As good as the free kick was, the performance prior to that was really painful to watch - slow build ups followed by misplaced passes and crosses straight to the opposition.

I'd like this team in the next game:

Lynch
McLaughlin O'Connell Roberts Bola
Lund Ryan
Newby Rathbone Baah
Humphrys
Match Thread: Rochdale vs Northampton on 21:24 - Nov 24 with 2305 viewsSandyman

Match Thread: Rochdale vs Northampton on 21:17 - Nov 24 by DaleiLama

I felt like not bothering tonight but it was worth it for the period after Baah came on alone

The substitution of Bola with McLaughlin also made a big difference. After last Saturday's sub debacle, BBM got it right tonight, albeit Baah could have been used earlier. Nobody will begrudge BBM being "pleased with the performance" in the second half, but we need home wins, fast.
Match Thread: Rochdale vs Northampton on 21:32 - Nov 24 with 2228 viewsYorkshire_Dale

Finished a shit month with a decent performance......another rest now and onto December.

Only 2 home fixtures before Crimbo.
Match Thread: Rochdale vs Northampton on 21:33 - Nov 24 with 2206 viewsjpresto

Cant agree about Bola. To me he offers nothing going forward or defending
Match Thread: Rochdale vs Northampton on 21:40 - Nov 24 with 2152 viewsJames1980

Match Thread: Rochdale vs Northampton on 21:33 - Nov 24 by jpresto

Cant agree about Bola. To me he offers nothing going forward or defending

Is Roberts left or right footed? Just wonder if swapping him and Bola would work and then playing Keohane/Ryan in the centre in front of the back line and pushing Morley further forward perhaps in a diamond withJK at the base and Morley at the tip.

'Only happy when you've got it often makes you miss the journey'
Poll: What does Jim need ?

Match Thread: Rochdale vs Northampton on 21:43 - Nov 24 with 2125 views100notout

Much better second half. Baah had a massive impact - would start him instead of Beesley. Mclaughlin for Bola also made a big improvement. Bola has regressed after a good start to his Dale career. Roberts class again, Morley needs to stop trying the Hollywood passes. Shame we didn't win that - not just for the 3 points, confidence, move up the table etc but to really fook off Northampton- they were a disgrace and even worse the ref let them get away with murder

Poll: So who do you believe - Hendo or the Board?

Match Thread: Rochdale vs Northampton on 21:50 - Nov 24 with 2069 viewsJames1980

Match Thread: Rochdale vs Northampton on 21:43 - Nov 24 by 100notout

Much better second half. Baah had a massive impact - would start him instead of Beesley. Mclaughlin for Bola also made a big improvement. Bola has regressed after a good start to his Dale career. Roberts class again, Morley needs to stop trying the Hollywood passes. Shame we didn't win that - not just for the 3 points, confidence, move up the table etc but to really fook off Northampton- they were a disgrace and even worse the ref let them get away with murder

I kept thinking Haines is going to add on time for their time wasting.

Match Thread: Rochdale vs Northampton on 22:15 - Nov 24 with 1931 viewsShun

Controversial opinion, I’m sure, but there wasn’t much different between that Dale performance and the ones against Fleetwood and Rotherham that won such plaudits. We attacked with the same consistently in all three matches. The only difference was that Northampton defended all game, whereas Fleetwood and Rotherham actually tried to play. It’s up to BBM to work out how to break down sides like Northampton and Wimbledon.
Match Thread: Rochdale vs Northampton on 22:19 - Nov 24 with 1914 viewsdingdangblue

Lynch very lucky at the end when he came rushing out for a ball he was never going to get. Thankfully the giant somehow managed to not get enough on his header.

Its a BRILLIANT goal to cap a BRILLIANT start by Rochdale - Don Goodman 26/08/10
Poll: Are fans more annoyed losing or not playing Henderson centre forward?

Match Thread: Rochdale vs Northampton on 23:20 - Nov 24 with 1699 viewsdingdangblue

Still can't see a corner from that first header that ultimately led to the opening goal. Smith heads it out.

https://www.skysports.com/watch/video/sports/football/teams/rochdale/12141613/ro

Its a BRILLIANT goal to cap a BRILLIANT start by Rochdale - Don Goodman 26/08/10
Poll: Are fans more annoyed losing or not playing Henderson centre forward?

Match Thread: Rochdale vs Northampton on 06:23 - Nov 25 with 1504 viewsJames1980

Match Thread: Rochdale vs Northampton on 23:20 - Nov 24 by dingdangblue

Still can't see a corner from that first header that ultimately led to the opening goal. Smith heads it out.

https://www.skysports.com/watch/video/sports/football/teams/rochdale/12141613/ro

Wasn't there a discussion about a goal we scored potentially being offside a few games back, is that one of the decisions that will go against us to balance them out over the season?

Match Thread: Rochdale vs Northampton on 08:46 - Nov 25 with 1340 viewsnordenblue

Match Thread: Rochdale vs Northampton on 06:23 - Nov 25 by James1980

Wasn't there a discussion about a goal we scored potentially being offside a few games back, is that one of the decisions that will go against us to balance them out over the season?

Yep it was offside, folk forget about it when the luck goes our way though
Match Thread: Rochdale vs Northampton on 10:16 - Nov 25 with 1196 viewsBillyRudd

Match Thread: Rochdale vs Northampton on 22:15 - Nov 24 by Shun

Controversial opinion, I’m sure, but there wasn’t much different between that Dale performance and the ones against Fleetwood and Rotherham that won such plaudits. We attacked with the same consistently in all three matches. The only difference was that Northampton defended all game, whereas Fleetwood and Rotherham actually tried to play. It’s up to BBM to work out how to break down sides like Northampton and Wimbledon.

In days gone by when life itself, including football was,nt plagued with over complication and theorising there were a couple of simple mantras in the game.
"Don,t change a winning side" for which admittedly we have currently had little chance to implement and "play your best eleven" which BBM can do. On that basis there should be no way that Beesley is on the sheet before Bah if actually winning games is the priority as opposed to sticking with a football theory that is patently failing us and alienating an appreciable percentage of supporters.
Regarding Bah there was a third belief in "if you are good enough, you are old enough". I,m not saying he is a class act or even the finished product but for 15 mins he managed to turn a predictable team into an unpredictable team which is what you need against teams parking the bus. Yes he,s learning and won,t have that impact every game but as Shun points out, its down to BBM which is why I expect Beesley will start the next game.
I also expect Keohane and Bola to carry on constantly back passing with very little willingness to drive forward because that is how they are being told to play.
Up the Dale
ps I think Curle might be reflecting today on what the outcome would have been if they had made a game of it because we patently could,nt handle their big man up front on crosses but their endeavour to get crosses over was non existent in the second half. Such is the state of the thinking in the game today.
Match Thread: Rochdale vs Northampton on 10:41 - Nov 25 with 1154 viewsjonahwhereru

Match Thread: Rochdale vs Northampton on 22:15 - Nov 24 by Shun

I have not seen a league game this season so cannot comment on how the team played, but as so often is the case you make an interesting point Shun.
Looking at the player ratings we were miles below the games against Rotherham and Fleetwood. But of course we went in front in those games and those teams came to play. At any level games where a team show little attacking intent are never a great watch. For several years now we have lacked a player/s to unlock a Defense, which makes stamping our authority on games against teams in the lower half and getting a lead vital to our survival. The dilemma is do you go all in from the gun with an attacking line up, but risk loosising the midfield battle .BBM know plenty more than me. My only comment on set up is that Ryan is the best option as a sitting midfilder and the attack needs to cater to that need.
Great that the team kept their heads up last night, after Saturday.
UTD
Match Thread: Rochdale vs Northampton on 10:51 - Nov 25 with 1140 viewsAtThePeake

Match Thread: Rochdale vs Northampton on 10:16 - Nov 25 by BillyRudd

In days gone by when life itself, including football was,nt plagued with over complication and theorising there were a couple of simple mantras in the game.
"Don,t change a winning side" for which admittedly we have currently had little chance to implement and "play your best eleven" which BBM can do. On that basis there should be no way that Beesley is on the sheet before Bah if actually winning games is the priority as opposed to sticking with a football theory that is patently failing us and alienating an appreciable percentage of supporters.
Regarding Bah there was a third belief in "if you are good enough, you are old enough". I,m not saying he is a class act or even the finished product but for 15 mins he managed to turn a predictable team into an unpredictable team which is what you need against teams parking the bus. Yes he,s learning and won,t have that impact every game but as Shun points out, its down to BBM which is why I expect Beesley will start the next game.
I also expect Keohane and Bola to carry on constantly back passing with very little willingness to drive forward because that is how they are being told to play.
Up the Dale
ps I think Curle might be reflecting today on what the outcome would have been if they had made a game of it because we patently could,nt handle their big man up front on crosses but their endeavour to get crosses over was non existent in the second half. Such is the state of the thinking in the game today.

Couldn't agree more with that last line. I was stunned that they didn't even try to use some width on the counter-attack and try and get a few more crosses into the box as I'm certain they'd have had chances had they utilised Smith a bit more.

On Baah, I think his pace and trickery was more effective against tired legs than it would've been from the start last night and I remember quite a few games last season where he was a passenger after starting the game (Accrington away notwithstanding). Plus, at 17, with the health problems he has had in the past and having just suffered a fairly lengthy injury lay-off, I'd be surprised if he is starting in the next few games. That said, he completely changed the game when he came on and if he is the player most likely to unlock a defence, then he should be on the pitch for as long as possible. It's a tough one to call.

Tangled up in blue.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024