Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Rooney the weak link 01:05 - Jun 15 with 8147 viewsQPRMUSO

Never thought I would say that but he was the one let down tonight, I did my nut when he took the ball off a surging Lallana, spoon!
Rooney the weak link on 10:24 - Jun 15 with 2059 viewsQPRMUSO

Rooney the weak link on 09:46 - Jun 15 by Ranger78

Like I said, I'm not precious if he starts or not, I agree go with the youth completely as far as I'm concerned.

I'm just not prepared to dig someone out who plays out of position and gives his all.

It's down to the manager to pick the team.... surely he deserves more stick??

Which position was he in when he missed that sitter?
Rooney the weak link on 10:31 - Jun 15 with 2056 viewsQPRMUSO

Rooney the weak link on 10:24 - Jun 15 by CHUBBS

Rooney has been playing top level football for 12 years and even at 28(probably has the body of a 32 year old) his lifestyle has caught up with him.
When he 1st started playing,he had the dynamic pace and ability to go past people like Ross Barkley does.
However everytime he gets the ball now he seems to cut back toward his own goal in an attempt to keep possession completely slowing down our attacks.
He constantly shoots from impossible positions when a pass is the better option and looks well off the pace of International football.
As far as i'm concerned England would be better off without him as we have younger better quicker options available now.
Whether he was out of position or not,he's just not mobile enough anymore.
Bring on Ross Barkley,i know he's only 20 but he's already a much better player than Rooney is.

Agree with this!
Rooney the weak link on 10:37 - Jun 15 with 2031 viewsozexile

I feel sorry for Baines I thought he played ok with no protection. I'd love to know where Rooney thinks his best position is cause I'm not sure even he knows anymore. He's been played out of his original position so much in the Premier league where you can get away with it 99% of the time. After 20 odd years we still need that decent left midfielder.
Rooney the weak link on 10:59 - Jun 15 with 2007 viewsElHoop

Rooney is maybe not the only weak link or even the biggest one but he is a weak link. Italy probably had a bit more in the tank and when the history of this competition is written that won't look like a bad performance at all, but in terms of how we give ourselves the best possible chance of going further, I think that Rooney will have to be benched. He could still play a big part though, so Woy needs to mind how he goes about it.
Rooney the weak link on 11:03 - Jun 15 with 1996 viewsJamie

Rooney the weak link on 10:37 - Jun 15 by ozexile

I feel sorry for Baines I thought he played ok with no protection. I'd love to know where Rooney thinks his best position is cause I'm not sure even he knows anymore. He's been played out of his original position so much in the Premier league where you can get away with it 99% of the time. After 20 odd years we still need that decent left midfielder.

Rooney wants to play centre forward, something he can't at United with van Persie there.

Was given the chance to move to Chelsea and play CF, where he would've likely scored 30+ last season. Ended up staying at United on a new mega contract but hs prospects are pretty limited with Van Gaal now there.

Barring a serious injury crises that ends Barkley, AOC & Sterling's careers prior to 2018, there's no way he goes to Russia.
Rooney the weak link on 11:37 - Jun 15 with 1947 viewsPunteR

He still tries to play like an 18 year old charging around the pitch. Unfortunately for him his fitness is no longer like an 18 year old.
I think he tries too hard,unlike daddy cool Pirlo.
Maybe its his lifestyle,maybe money has ruined him.
I dislike most things Alan Shearer says with his" you've got to score,simple " attitude to everything in front of goal,ignoring all the details like goalkeepers,defenders etc. But, i agreed with him , Rooney should have buried that goal,he didn't even hit the target.
Rooney is the weak link if he's played out of position,but Hodgson has got better options in up front now. I would like to see Rooney come on as sub with 20-30 mins to go in his favoured position,i think he'll then be more effective for us.

Occasional providers of half decent House music.

Rooney the weak link on 12:18 - Jun 15 with 1915 viewsdenhamhoop2

For me the hes played out of position doesnt hold water.Charlie was played out of position for half an hour at Wembley and wasnt great but he never refused to track the right back which Rooney quite simply did.Start Lallana on left Sterling on right Sturridge up top and Barkley Number 10 and lets see how we go at least its experience for the next 8 years tournament football for them.I also think Gerrard was pretty poor as well never got close to Pirlo to stop him dictating the game.All in all encouraging display from England but a loss is a loss.Was surprised quite how bold Woy and his selection was fingers crossed hes even bolder Thursday and drops Rooney
Rooney the weak link on 12:27 - Jun 15 with 1905 viewsHunterhoop

They key point people seem to be missing here is who you drop to play Rooney in his preferred position and whether it can be justified.

I don't think Rooney is, or ever has been, a true no. 9. He likes to drop deep and go and get the ball too much. He always has done. He is a no. 10 in the Teddy Sheringham mould in a 4-4-2. Drop off the centre halves, receive the ball to feet and drive forward, albeit when Teddy would slip in a pass.

Now, England, rightly, are playing 4-2-3-1. I don't think he can play the 1 up top because he doesn't have the genuine pace to stretch defences and, as I've said, he isn't really a no. 9. We'd be left with no focal point to the attack if we played him there as he'd go wandering.

That means his position is the 1 in the middle of the 3. Fine. That plays to his strengths and should get the best out of him.

Problem is, Sterling was excellent in the central no. 10 role last night. His pace meant he just ghosted past Italian midfielders. He was carrying the ball forward 30 yards in seconds at some points. It was him receiving the ball deep driving forward and playing a lovely pass into Rooney which led to the goal. The Italians looked very uncomfortable up against Sterling in that position where he gets in behind their midfield and runs at the defence.

So, do you move Sterling out of that position to play Rooney there? Woy obviously thinks Sterling is our best no. 10. On last night's performance and recent games, you'd have to agree. Is Rooney one of our best 2 wide players in a 4-2-3-1? If the answer is 'no', then he doesn't start.

It's all well and good saying he's a great player and being played out of position, but if you have someone playing better than you in your position, what do you expect? Sturridge is our best no. 9 and Sterling looks our most dangerous no. 10. If fit, I'd personally play Oxlade Chamberlain on one flank and Lallana on the other, although I expect Wellbeck to get that gig. If Rooney plays, I've not got too much problem with it as he is a very good player. But he's not playing better than Sterling or Sturridge (and hasn't been for a while) so he doesn't get to start no. 9 or no. 10.
Login to get fewer ads

Rooney the weak link on 12:30 - Jun 15 with 1901 viewsdaveB

agree with Hunter on this, you have to play Rooney in the number 9 or number 10 role but we have better options in that position. Sterling and Barkley both better at the number 10 now and I wouldn't drop Sturridge. I think him going off injured last night might make it an easy decision with Lallana coming in for Sturridge.

it's a real shame Rooney is a very good player, i was so impressed with him when i saw him live against us a few years back but at the top level he just hasn't done it. Mad that he should break Bobby Charltons record in the next 2 years but may never score at a world cup
Rooney the weak link on 12:39 - Jun 15 with 1886 viewsTacticalR

Rooney the weak link on 12:30 - Jun 15 by daveB

agree with Hunter on this, you have to play Rooney in the number 9 or number 10 role but we have better options in that position. Sterling and Barkley both better at the number 10 now and I wouldn't drop Sturridge. I think him going off injured last night might make it an easy decision with Lallana coming in for Sturridge.

it's a real shame Rooney is a very good player, i was so impressed with him when i saw him live against us a few years back but at the top level he just hasn't done it. Mad that he should break Bobby Charltons record in the next 2 years but may never score at a world cup

That reminds me of what Platini said of Cantona: 'In small matches he is a big man, in big matches he is a small man'.

Air hostess clique

Rooney the weak link on 13:18 - Jun 15 with 1845 viewsDiscodroid

is it me or is his hair starting to look like ex man city uber tool peter swales.

like a pubic hair graft.

http://i.huffpost.com/gen/583525/thumbs/o-SWALES-570.jpg?4

hes got a pubic hair graft 'pon his head,
hes got a pubic hair graft 'pon his head,
hes got a pubic hair gradt 'pon his head,
'pon his head.
[Post edited 15 Jun 2014 13:21]

" I guess in four or five years, the new generation's music will be .. electronics, tapes. I can kind of envision .. maybe one person .. with a lot of machines, tapes, and electronics setups, singin or speaking .. and using machines " James Douglas Morrison | 1969

Rooney the weak link on 14:22 - Jun 15 with 1809 viewsLoft1979

Rooney the weak link on 10:31 - Jun 15 by QPRMUSO

Agree with this!

Agreed
Rooney the weak link on 14:34 - Jun 15 with 1799 viewsTacticalR

Did anyone see Pat Nevin's analysis of Rooney a couple of weeks ago? It was quite revealing:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/27719073

Air hostess clique

Rooney the weak link on 14:37 - Jun 15 with 1791 viewsHollowayRanger

said for a long time will be finished by 30,he's just not built to play football he looks like something off a council estate who works in a supermarket

his cross was CLASS but didn't do anther single thing apart from miss a golden chance and let baines down over and over and over ,Italy just attacked us there at will we were like a boxer with some horrible cut and they picked on it time and time again

Listen to the band play!
Poll: How much will you pay for adult season ticket next season if in championship

Rooney the weak link on 21:50 - Jun 15 with 1637 viewsRangersAreBack

Rooney the weak link on 10:23 - Jun 15 by QPR1882

Cant see how Rooney is getting so much stick, it is not his fault he was played out of position. Play Charlie Austin out on the wing and see if he is as good, of course he would not be.

Woy has an easy choice Play Rooney in his correct position or stick him on the bench. Yet another England manager with no bottle ( thats how Beckham ended up with so many caps )

We did; in the play off final and Charlie made a much better fist of it than Rooney.
Rooney the weak link on 22:17 - Jun 15 with 1611 viewsTacticalR

Rooney the weak link on 14:37 - Jun 15 by HollowayRanger

said for a long time will be finished by 30,he's just not built to play football he looks like something off a council estate who works in a supermarket

his cross was CLASS but didn't do anther single thing apart from miss a golden chance and let baines down over and over and over ,Italy just attacked us there at will we were like a boxer with some horrible cut and they picked on it time and time again

Not many supermarket workers on £300,000 a week.

Air hostess clique

Rooney the weak link on 22:31 - Jun 15 with 1598 viewseasthertsr

Sturridge is better up front, Sterling is better in the hole and the Ox is better out wide, End of!
Rooney the weak link on 23:48 - Jun 15 with 1565 viewsbaz_qpr

I don't agree with the stick Rooney is getting he scores 25 goals a year in the premier league every year and gets played left wing not because he gives us something there but because woy does not trust sterling to do the defensive work and he prefers Sturridge up top.

I don't think we played as well as some are making out, I thought Gerard and Hendeson were poor and so was Baines. We have a real lack of leadership in the team and it really showed also I could not fathom why we chose to give the Italians so much time on the ball.

In International football when you come up against one of the best players in the world such as a Pirlo you have to do something to mitigate against it I think we just played into their hands .
Rooney the weak link on 00:19 - Jun 16 with 1547 viewsloftboy

Spot the difference

favourite cheese mature Cheddar. FFS there is no such thing as the EPL
Poll: Are you watching the World Cup

Rooney the weak link on 00:28 - Jun 16 with 1541 viewsCamberleyR

He's your ultimate flat track bully. Okay scoring and looking good against the likes of Aston Villa and West Brom in the Premier League and filling his boots against Moldova and Estonia in WC/Euro qualifiers.

Yes he may have scored nearly 40 times for the national team and will probably overtake Bobby Charlton's record but when has he ever scored against really top, meaningful opposition? It's a similar situation for Man U. When has he really stood out in CL quarters/semis/finals for them?

If you take out his early games for England in Euro 2004 when he was an unknown quantity to the opposition and really did look like a genuine potential world class talent he has done the square root of fck all in tournament play for the national team.

Fifth highest paid player in the world my @rse.

Poll: Which is the worst QPR team?

Rooney the weak link on 00:44 - Jun 16 with 1536 viewsCamberleyR

Rooney the weak link on 14:34 - Jun 15 by TacticalR

Did anyone see Pat Nevin's analysis of Rooney a couple of weeks ago? It was quite revealing:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/27719073

Wow, that's pretty damning. It makes you think that he is seen as untouchable at United.

Nevin's a great analyst and should be used more by the BBC.

Poll: Which is the worst QPR team?

Rooney the weak link on 06:41 - Jun 16 with 1494 viewsHayesender

Rooney the weak link on 00:19 - Jun 16 by loftboy

Spot the difference

Yeah, the one at the top enjoys fags and booze, while the one at the bottom is full of roids!

Poll: Shamima Beghum

Rooney the weak link on 08:47 - Jun 16 with 1457 viewsElHoop

Hodgson said beforehand that he'd only drop Gerrard or Rooney if sonebody better came along. Well in Rooney's case somebody better has come along in his position and he's not good enough to play in somebody else's position so unless Hodgson was bullshitting then Wayne has to go on the bench against Uruguay.
Rooney the weak link on 09:11 - Jun 16 with 1447 viewsDANRANGER

The fact is he was judged on playing in the no 10 role and proven to not be good enough and then moved wide to accommodate him in the team. He had a reasonable game against Ecuador in the wide role so was retained for Italy. I've thought for a while now he is holding back better players and it's time to drop him. He should now be judged as a centre forward and be understudy to Sturridge, and a very good one.

Welbeck did nothing wrong but again he is holding back better options so another who need to sit out. For me, OX / Sterling / Lallana should start against Uruguay with Barkley waiting in the wings. Wilshere over Henderson, and he needs to man up and control games.

Defensively we are poor so we need movement, control and pace to keep the ball further up the pitch. As I've said before, no regrets and this next game is Roy's big chance to get it right.
Rooney the weak link on 09:55 - Jun 16 with 919 viewsbaz_qpr

We only had two good chances Rooney created one and missed the other.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024