Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
One Night In Winter 11:33 - May 16 with 1855 viewsMetallica_Hoop

By Simon Sebag Montefiore. What a great read, I have his history Books but thought I'd check the novel out.

It's a real page turner if you want summer beach material.

Beer and Beef has made us what we are - The Prince Regent

One Night In Winter on 14:27 - May 16 with 1762 viewsPommyhoop

What is it about?
edit..nm just googled it..
Looks good...
[Post edited 16 May 2016 14:29]

http://cdn.meme.am/instances/250x250/55039027.jpg
Poll: How much should we sell Eze for. What will we get.

One Night In Winter on 15:51 - May 16 with 1712 viewsMetallica_Hoop

One Night In Winter on 14:27 - May 16 by Pommyhoop

What is it about?
edit..nm just googled it..
Looks good...
[Post edited 16 May 2016 14:29]

It is.

I finished it today, I'm going to get the one set in the Tsar's time next.

One Night In Winter on 07:18 - May 17 with 1594 viewsMrSheen

I tried reading his "Court of the Red Czar" about Stalin's inner circle but I didn't get very far. I found the focus on the personalities in the centre much less interesting than what was going on outside.

I see that Frank Dikotter has written the last of his trilogy about Mao. Holiday reading!
One Night In Winter on 08:38 - May 17 with 1555 viewsMetallica_Hoop

One Night In Winter on 07:18 - May 17 by MrSheen

I tried reading his "Court of the Red Czar" about Stalin's inner circle but I didn't get very far. I found the focus on the personalities in the centre much less interesting than what was going on outside.

I see that Frank Dikotter has written the last of his trilogy about Mao. Holiday reading!

Young Stalin was better I found.

I haven't bought 'The Romanov's' yet but I found 'Jerusalem The Biography' the best of his works that I have read.

I didn't realize how often the place has been flattened.

One Night In Winter on 09:09 - May 17 with 1531 viewsMonahoop

Simon Sebag Montefiore. Never mind his books, that name in itself is fascinating.

There aint half been some clever bastards.

One Night In Winter on 09:23 - May 17 with 1523 viewsMrSheen

One Night In Winter on 08:38 - May 17 by Metallica_Hoop

Young Stalin was better I found.

I haven't bought 'The Romanov's' yet but I found 'Jerusalem The Biography' the best of his works that I have read.

I didn't realize how often the place has been flattened.

I picked up an old book on the Kindle last month by WIlliam Dalrymple called "From The Holy Mountain". It was written about 20 years ago, and he follows the path taken by a Byzantine monk around Eastern Christianity (Greece, Turkey, Syria, Lebanon, Israel & Egypt) in a book written about 600AD. He was surprised how much had survived, and how much was suddenly disappearing - and it's got worse since. Very depressing, he said Syria was the only place where the different old religions seemed to get along. Sounds dry and boring, but totally brilliant.
One Night In Winter on 11:00 - May 17 with 1467 viewsMetallica_Hoop

One Night In Winter on 09:23 - May 17 by MrSheen

I picked up an old book on the Kindle last month by WIlliam Dalrymple called "From The Holy Mountain". It was written about 20 years ago, and he follows the path taken by a Byzantine monk around Eastern Christianity (Greece, Turkey, Syria, Lebanon, Israel & Egypt) in a book written about 600AD. He was surprised how much had survived, and how much was suddenly disappearing - and it's got worse since. Very depressing, he said Syria was the only place where the different old religions seemed to get along. Sounds dry and boring, but totally brilliant.

That sounds really interesting.

In the one by Tom Holland he mentioned this bloke who said all the religions are the same around that region I forget the year (say 800AD/900AD) and for the first time all 4 including the Zoroastrians (sp) agreed to annihilated him and his followers.

Clearly touched a nerve even back then.

One Night In Winter on 11:21 - May 17 with 1454 viewsPhildo

Just finished the last book in the Robert Harris Cicero trilogy- about the rise of Caesar and the fall of the old republic. If you like ancient Rome it is great stuff.

A long time since I read From the Holy Mountain but i remember it was recommended to me and i was blown away by it.
Login to get fewer ads

One Night In Winter on 11:22 - May 17 with 1453 viewsIngham

Both interesting writers. Enjoyed the Stalin books and a couple of the Dalrymples.
One Night In Winter on 21:50 - May 17 with 1350 viewsCiderwithRsie

Everything by William Dalrymple is worth reading. In fact he annoys the hell out of me by being sod talented.

"Return of a King" (on the 1st Afghan War) is brilliant - I thought I knew the basics but there was a whole lot more. (Well worth reading alongside "Flashman" by George MacDonald Fraser for light relief.)
One Night In Winter on 22:47 - May 17 with 1326 viewsTacticalR

I have read a couple of books about Syria this year: Reese Erlich's 'Inside Syria' (2014) and 'Syria: A History of the Last Hundred Years' (2014) by English author John McHugo. McHugo got interested in Syria when hitchhiking in the area in the 1970s. Both authors make the point that religious identity was not really a major factor in Syrian politics, and this despite France doing everything it could to foster regionalism and religious difference in Syria to try to prevent the growth of Arab nationalism.

Air hostess clique

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024