Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Aaron Hughes 23:18 - Feb 10 with 3160 viewsloftboy

Had a tidy debut, didn't do much wrong and combined well with Hoillett when he came on, even overlapped on a couple of occasions, did well to block Bamfords effort early on.

favourite cheese mature Cheddar. FFS there is no such thing as the EPL
Poll: Are you watching the World Cup

Aaron Hughes on 11:42 - Feb 11 with 688 viewsBrianMcCarthy

Aaron Hughes on 08:36 - Feb 11 by Hunterhoop

And this is why it's a game if opinions.

I play CB. It's the position I watch most closely when at QPR.

I disagree with Neil here, and probably many others. Having watched all our CBs very closely this season, I think the weakest is Dunne. He is the worst marker of his man of the 3, and he switches off more than Hill or Onouha. Look at the first two Burnely goals, the man he was marking got away from him and on the end of the cross. Look at Leicester's goal. Hill lost the flick on but the lad who scored was being marked by Dunne and within seconds of the flick on had escaped him to score.

These aren't one offs. They happen a lot. Donny at home in the first half....Dunne had a nightmare. Luckily the blonde lad up front couldn't shoot for toffee. Dunne was marking him and he got through 1-1 3 times. Dunne is fine, excellent even, dealing with long balls flung in the box. But when we come up against anyone with movement, not even pace, he really struggles. A lack if finishing ability has saved his blushes on a number of occasions. Both Hill and Onouha are much sharper and quicker to react to forwards with movement. That's the most important attribute for a CB in the Prem. People scream out it's pace we need, and whilst we do, it's actually a CB who is better at dealing with movement that is really what we need. Onouha is a better centre half than Dunne in this area.

Ned has his flaws, especially at RB. But he's not a RB, he's a CB. Dunne and Hill have one season left him in them, maximum one may have 2 but not at Prem level. Onouha has 8 by the same logic. Not exactly rocket science.

Agree with all that, including your ranking of our centre-backs.

Good analysis, as ever.

"The opposite of love, after all, is not hate, but indifference."
Poll: Player of the Year (so far)

Aaron Hughes on 12:48 - Feb 11 with 662 viewsgjc104

Im a bit stunned....I thought he was possibly one of our worst players on the night and that is saying something! Worried the hell out of me everytime the ball went near him.

Did make a good block yes but other than that....
Aaron Hughes on 13:24 - Feb 11 with 640 viewsRangersAreBack

Aaron Hughes on 08:15 - Feb 11 by Pommyhoop

He's a better option NOW. than one of the 2 old boys at the back.It's a hard choice which one to drop I admit but making tough choices like that is why H is payed the big bucks.

Perhaps but if none of the current crop are up-to-scratch then surely that was the point of the January transfer window?
Aaron Hughes on 15:23 - Feb 11 with 619 viewsstansleftfoot

Aaron Hughes on 01:17 - Feb 11 by Neil_SI

It's not that Aaron Hughes isn't a decent player, he's alright, it's just the short term nature of QPR. It's obviously all about promotion at all costs, and the current management feel that experience is the way to do it.

Now, I'll be up front about it, I am not the biggest fan in the world of Nedum Onuoha. I think Richard Dunne and Clint Hill are better defenders than he, but they have the experience. Onouha has plenty of flaws and he's some way away from being a player who can compete consistently well at Premier League level.

But he's young and this is the Championship. We've seen all season long that for the many mistakes we've made, we've barely been punished for them. So why not throw Onuoha in there to get the experience he needs? It's the perfect breeding ground to work on his flaws and utilise his strengths in terms of his pace and physicality.

It's a travesty that he's not in this side for this reason alone. Every match he misses is a mistake on the clubs part to serve his development. Who better to learn alongside than one of Dunne or Hill? If you want any indicator about the short term nature of QPR, then it's staring you in the face with this scenario.

Onouha is fit and ready to play. It's nothing to do now with that hamstring injury he had, we've gone beyond the point where that was an excuse to take it easy with him. Get him in there for christ sake.

Nedum Onouha is not young! He has not played enough Football to have utilised his early learning into his strategies as a defender.
His poor positioning, decision making are a reflection of his naivity as a player....it is for this reason why 27 year OldbNedum is seen to be young. He is not! He should be at the top of his form, at the peak of his career. He isn't!
Full back is all about positioning, Centre half is all about watching the player not the ball.....one is easier than the other, Aaron Hughes is three times the player that Nedum is, he picks the right time to attack, he looks to distribute the ball responsibly, I don't think he has ever played outside the Premiership in over 400 games....good player, last night when faced with the blistering pace of Ward he did extremely well.
The QPR defence allowed two shots on target, and restricted Derby to single figure shots in total, maybe 9?
Hysterical reaction from QPR fan's all over, Steve Mclaren cynically used his young sides enthusiasm to target Joey Barton, Joey foolishly responded by getting into lengthy debate and some retaliation. When Derby's passing, reminiscent of QPR, was prevented they packed the final densive third in the knowledge that QPR couldn't get round the back of them. Hoillet made a difference.
Doyle and Johnson are too similar to work as a pair, but Doyle did give QPR some extra support for what was going to be a very difficult evening for the QPR midfield.
One bit of luck combined with the error/foul gave them the goal, like Joey Barton, I think QPR where the better side! More Possession, same shots, more on target. Could easily have got the draw, should have beaten them....seem's we are still learning, but thankfully, we have learnt not to put Onouha into the side when we don't have to.
Aaron Hughes is a good signing, and improves the side!
Aaron Hughes on 15:35 - Feb 11 with 613 viewsNeil_SI

Aaron Hughes on 15:23 - Feb 11 by stansleftfoot

Nedum Onouha is not young! He has not played enough Football to have utilised his early learning into his strategies as a defender.
His poor positioning, decision making are a reflection of his naivity as a player....it is for this reason why 27 year OldbNedum is seen to be young. He is not! He should be at the top of his form, at the peak of his career. He isn't!
Full back is all about positioning, Centre half is all about watching the player not the ball.....one is easier than the other, Aaron Hughes is three times the player that Nedum is, he picks the right time to attack, he looks to distribute the ball responsibly, I don't think he has ever played outside the Premiership in over 400 games....good player, last night when faced with the blistering pace of Ward he did extremely well.
The QPR defence allowed two shots on target, and restricted Derby to single figure shots in total, maybe 9?
Hysterical reaction from QPR fan's all over, Steve Mclaren cynically used his young sides enthusiasm to target Joey Barton, Joey foolishly responded by getting into lengthy debate and some retaliation. When Derby's passing, reminiscent of QPR, was prevented they packed the final densive third in the knowledge that QPR couldn't get round the back of them. Hoillet made a difference.
Doyle and Johnson are too similar to work as a pair, but Doyle did give QPR some extra support for what was going to be a very difficult evening for the QPR midfield.
One bit of luck combined with the error/foul gave them the goal, like Joey Barton, I think QPR where the better side! More Possession, same shots, more on target. Could easily have got the draw, should have beaten them....seem's we are still learning, but thankfully, we have learnt not to put Onouha into the side when we don't have to.
Aaron Hughes is a good signing, and improves the side!

Perhaps I didn't explain myself clearly enough and should have used the phrase "younger" instead. I never said he was a youngster and didn't mean it in that way (albeit at the time we signed him, the club did consider him as a youngster and one for the future with resale value). That's my fault for posting half cut! :)

He is young in terms of his experience with players of a similar age and in addition to that, his football education. He was more of an athlete as a kid, but in the end, decided to try football. I can see by the way he plays and how he perceives what's going on around him, that he was a late starter and therefore he's young in this sense too.

Late last year he gave an interview where he himself said that he was only really starting to understand the sport properly over the past 18 months, so there's a good amount of honesty in there, and a desire to improve and learn, but he can only do that if he is playing regularly on the pitch.

He is also young in terms of his playing experience — he's never, despite being 27, played more than 32 times in a single season (while on loan at Sunderland), so he doesn't even know what it feels like to play week in, week out, for an entire campaign. He's managed 26 in a single season for us...

So my point still stands overall, really. I'm not sure why it's seen as a hysterical reaction. The club invested several million buying him and handy him a whopping contract — that he is still the same player he is today as the one when he first joined — says a lot about the make up of the club and how much its willing to work for its players. If you compare that to the old pros, Richard Dunne, Clint Hill and Aaron Hughes are all out of contract in less than six months time — but they're the ones playing. It's all four of them when you include Benoit Assou-Ekotto who is here on loan.

I'm merely suggesting that the standard of the Championship is a great place for him to practice for bigger and better things, that's all. If you're going to do that, and want to do that as a club, then now is the time.
Aaron Hughes on 16:11 - Feb 11 with 588 viewsstansleftfoot

We are agreeing about Nedum not having a great deal of experience, thus he appears naive.
The point I'm making is that Aaron Hughes is a good player to get on a free, combining over 400 games experience at Premiership level at RB/CB and LB.
There might be an argument that Nedum's day might come when he's called in to replace Richard Dunne/Clint Hill, for injury or increasingly for the possibility that they need a rest. That would be a hard decision....what shouldn't be a hard decision, if we have the choice, is not to slot Nedum Onouha into the right back slot.
Aaron Hughes on 16:35 - Feb 11 with 583 viewskingsburyR

This post is a long read.

I didn't see anywhere above comments on young Tom Carroll.

I'm not one to lay in to players but thought he was a total passenger last night.

Didn't have the mare that Niko had but Niko had a lot more of the ball.

Dont know why we bother. .... but we do!

Aaron Hughes on 18:24 - Feb 11 with 558 viewsstansleftfoot

Aaron Hughes on 15:35 - Feb 11 by Neil_SI

Perhaps I didn't explain myself clearly enough and should have used the phrase "younger" instead. I never said he was a youngster and didn't mean it in that way (albeit at the time we signed him, the club did consider him as a youngster and one for the future with resale value). That's my fault for posting half cut! :)

He is young in terms of his experience with players of a similar age and in addition to that, his football education. He was more of an athlete as a kid, but in the end, decided to try football. I can see by the way he plays and how he perceives what's going on around him, that he was a late starter and therefore he's young in this sense too.

Late last year he gave an interview where he himself said that he was only really starting to understand the sport properly over the past 18 months, so there's a good amount of honesty in there, and a desire to improve and learn, but he can only do that if he is playing regularly on the pitch.

He is also young in terms of his playing experience — he's never, despite being 27, played more than 32 times in a single season (while on loan at Sunderland), so he doesn't even know what it feels like to play week in, week out, for an entire campaign. He's managed 26 in a single season for us...

So my point still stands overall, really. I'm not sure why it's seen as a hysterical reaction. The club invested several million buying him and handy him a whopping contract — that he is still the same player he is today as the one when he first joined — says a lot about the make up of the club and how much its willing to work for its players. If you compare that to the old pros, Richard Dunne, Clint Hill and Aaron Hughes are all out of contract in less than six months time — but they're the ones playing. It's all four of them when you include Benoit Assou-Ekotto who is here on loan.

I'm merely suggesting that the standard of the Championship is a great place for him to practice for bigger and better things, that's all. If you're going to do that, and want to do that as a club, then now is the time.

"I'm merely suggesting that the standard of the Championship is a great place for him to practice for bigger and better things, that's all. If you're going to do that, and want to do that as a club, then now is the time"
The time for 27 year old Players practising how to play Football is over at QPR this season, we have a massive opportunity to go back to the Premiership. I believe Harry Redknapp is bringing all his experience to bear on this chance, like me, many will disagree with his set-ups and selections. Nevertheless, we have three more games against the current top five clubs. What we cannot ignore is that we have been beaten by all our competitors for a top two automatic place. What is concerning is that all the evidence shows QPR as being very unlikely to come through the play-offs successfully.
When it comes to the big games we get bullied and brushed aside, players we have paid a signing on fee for will not be available. Questions about Harry's "Dirty Dozen" mercenaries will become stronger.
All these players need to up their games and their impact on the outcome of games. Joey Barton forgot about winning a Football game last night and took up a fight for his personal pride. It's a sight that won't be missed by other sides and not just the top five.
We don't need players practising, we need points, starting on Saturday. Regardless of Harry's selection or set-up, we should be able to expect that our players are trying their best, I'm beginning to wonder whether that's the case. Our most experienced and purportedly most skilled players are making continual errors or just running out of puff, this should not occur at this 'Championship' level by these "Premiership" ex-internationals.
If we are suggesting that Dunne is replaced by Onuoha, I would counter that with Dunne should be getting tighter on his player, we should pick up players at throw ins, we should be making punched clearances to play for, etc, etc, etc.
The Players are letting us down.....changing the set up of the side is unlikely to change the leve/quality of the players performances.
Login to get fewer ads

Aaron Hughes on 19:48 - Feb 11 with 537 viewsWatford_Ranger

I'm struggling to think of a significant error Onuoha has made at centre-half this season though I'm sure there is one.

Regardless of who you think is the third best as an individual out of the three of Dunne, Hill and Onuoha, surely Onuoha complements either of the others better?
Aaron Hughes on 21:55 - Feb 11 with 505 viewsstansleftfoot

The original post was about Aaron Hughes, but it's kinda got bent out of shape, Steve McLarens work with Nedum was clear in the pre-season friendlies and finally it looked llike we had found a long term centre half to give the side the spine it's needed.
Injury at Right Back, Injury to Nedum, loss of Simpson, and playing Nedum out of position have all worked against him.
I'd love to see him in at Right Centre Half, not full back and not even Left Centre Half....he will do a great job, not sure Harry is going to drop Dunne but by most peoples views he's not been infallible for a number of weeks now.....
Aaron Hughes on 21:58 - Feb 11 with 503 viewsRangersAreBack

Aaron Hughes on 08:36 - Feb 11 by Hunterhoop

And this is why it's a game if opinions.

I play CB. It's the position I watch most closely when at QPR.

I disagree with Neil here, and probably many others. Having watched all our CBs very closely this season, I think the weakest is Dunne. He is the worst marker of his man of the 3, and he switches off more than Hill or Onouha. Look at the first two Burnely goals, the man he was marking got away from him and on the end of the cross. Look at Leicester's goal. Hill lost the flick on but the lad who scored was being marked by Dunne and within seconds of the flick on had escaped him to score.

These aren't one offs. They happen a lot. Donny at home in the first half....Dunne had a nightmare. Luckily the blonde lad up front couldn't shoot for toffee. Dunne was marking him and he got through 1-1 3 times. Dunne is fine, excellent even, dealing with long balls flung in the box. But when we come up against anyone with movement, not even pace, he really struggles. A lack if finishing ability has saved his blushes on a number of occasions. Both Hill and Onouha are much sharper and quicker to react to forwards with movement. That's the most important attribute for a CB in the Prem. People scream out it's pace we need, and whilst we do, it's actually a CB who is better at dealing with movement that is really what we need. Onouha is a better centre half than Dunne in this area.

Ned has his flaws, especially at RB. But he's not a RB, he's a CB. Dunne and Hill have one season left him in them, maximum one may have 2 but not at Prem level. Onouha has 8 by the same logic. Not exactly rocket science.

I doubt Onuoha has 8 years left in him at the highest level because he relies on pace. Hill and Dunne are playing into their mid-30s because of their ability to read the game, an attribute that Nedum doesn't possess. When Nedum's pace goes, so will his game.
Aaron Hughes on 22:24 - Feb 11 with 494 viewsNorthernr

Game of opinions and all that - I thought Ward and then Russell gave Hughes a real bad time, admittedly with little support from Kranjcar ahead of him.
Aaron Hughes on 22:29 - Feb 11 with 487 viewsderbyhoop

Hughes struggled against Ward but thought he coped much better when Russell came on. Doesn't offer the attacking threat of Simpson but we're surely not expecting that from a 34 year old.

Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the Earth all one’s lifetime. (Mark Twain) Find me on twitter @derbyhoop

Aaron Hughes on 06:49 - Feb 12 with 472 viewstimcocking

Aaron Hughes on 23:53 - Feb 10 by RangersAreBack

Defending isn't purely about pace. Positioning, intelligence, composure, balance, organisation and leadership are also important qualities. Nedum is lacking on all these counts.

I'd say that's harsh. For starters, he (Nedum) hasn't really managed a proper run, because he's got injured every time. He needs a fair crack in whatever is his best position before we can dismiss him.

Personally, from what i've seen, at Championship level i think he looks terriffic at centre back. I just think he's been unlucky Harry could't drop Dunne or Hill because they've been so good.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024