Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Fernandes on London Calling 19:49 - Jan 23 with 13384 viewsqueensparker

Came across brilliantly I thought. We're lucky to have him:

Starts around the 35.00 mark:

Fernandes on London Calling on 20:14 - Jan 23 with 8239 viewsRangersw12

Fair play to him came across very well

If he is looking at attendances though I presume he will drop the ridiculous 40k stadium plans and go for something more realistic
[Post edited 23 Jan 2014 20:14]
Fernandes on London Calling on 20:26 - Jan 23 with 8135 viewsShotKneesHoop

Fernandes on London Calling on 20:14 - Jan 23 by Rangersw12

If he is looking at attendances though I presume he will drop the ridiculous 40k stadium plans and go for something more realistic

Build it - and they will come - as long as there's leg room and the pitch is two foot from the stands.

Why does it feel like R'SWiPe is still on the books? Yer Couldn't Make It Up.Well Done Me!

Fernandes on London Calling on 21:59 - Jan 23 with 7757 viewsderbyhoop

Did anybody see the articles about the 10 richest clubs. Manure have dropped out of the top 3 but their turnover of £363m is more than 10 times what we're likely to take in this year - even allowing for £16m parachute payments.

The fact is that our matchday revenues for this season are only likely to be about £9m. This would pay the yearly wages of Cesar, Barton and Harry. Who's paying the rest of the players, management and admin staff? 18,000 capacity, with virtually zero chance of generating commercial revenue, is nowhere near enough.

TF is trying to get the new stadium done the right way.

Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the Earth all one’s lifetime. (Mark Twain) Find me on twitter @derbyhoop

Fernandes on London Calling on 22:44 - Jan 23 with 7586 viewssaxbend

Fernandes on London Calling on 20:26 - Jan 23 by ShotKneesHoop

Build it - and they will come - as long as there's leg room and the pitch is two foot from the stands.

Price it right and they certainly will. Finding over 35000 people in West London willing to pay £20 for a ticket isn't hard. 18000 x 30 is 540000 35000 x 20 is 700000, and that's just the ticket revenue. We'd be doubling the other match income while the running costs would be nowhere near double.

It'll only work if the ticket prices come right down, but if they do we could undercut the other London clubs, expand our fan base and massively increase our revenue.

Sure we'd never get 40000 fans to pay £45 each for a category A premier league game, but I'm sure that's not Tony's plan. Get people hooked and gradually raise ticket prices over a period of 5-10 seasons in the new ground and then we'll be reaping the benefits.
Fernandes on London Calling on 23:16 - Jan 23 with 7472 viewsNeil_SI

One of his better interviews for sure, where there is some humility shown, but there's still a lot of naive comments or revelations that send shivers down my spine.

On the topic of whether they can fill a 40,000 seater stadium, they probably can, because if the club are in the Premier League, it's easy to fill it with casual fans, or failing that, away fans. The big teams in the league will always attract support, as will most of the local London derbies. If that area of London becomes as affluent as they hope, then it will become a tourist attraction for the "tourist" fan.

There's a real chance a lot of fans will ultimately be replaced, that's how I've largely felt about it, but obviously hope I'm wrong about that. There are many Arsenal and Chelsea fans who have suffered that fate over the years and are bitter about it.

My gut feeling is we're looking at an Arsenal model, they are the only club to successfully move home in London, but it's how you measure that success that's important. From a business perspective, they've done well, but ask any fan, and they generally dislike it in comparison to Highbury — the hardcore support has diminished, the atmosphere is not what is was, it lacks the history and soul and ticket prices are sky high from tickets to food and drink. There's loads of casual fans going, and plenty who are not Arsenal supporters at all. So while it's made business sense, it's destroyed something else that's arguably more important.

Chelsea just don't care about their own fans, and have priced a lot of the old guard out, but perhaps that's what they wanted, as they have tried to change their identity an awful lot under Roman Abramovich's reign. They have similarities to Arsenal now too in terms of some of their problems.
Fernandes on London Calling on 00:08 - Jan 24 with 7334 viewsGrifter

Fernandes on London Calling on 23:16 - Jan 23 by Neil_SI

One of his better interviews for sure, where there is some humility shown, but there's still a lot of naive comments or revelations that send shivers down my spine.

On the topic of whether they can fill a 40,000 seater stadium, they probably can, because if the club are in the Premier League, it's easy to fill it with casual fans, or failing that, away fans. The big teams in the league will always attract support, as will most of the local London derbies. If that area of London becomes as affluent as they hope, then it will become a tourist attraction for the "tourist" fan.

There's a real chance a lot of fans will ultimately be replaced, that's how I've largely felt about it, but obviously hope I'm wrong about that. There are many Arsenal and Chelsea fans who have suffered that fate over the years and are bitter about it.

My gut feeling is we're looking at an Arsenal model, they are the only club to successfully move home in London, but it's how you measure that success that's important. From a business perspective, they've done well, but ask any fan, and they generally dislike it in comparison to Highbury — the hardcore support has diminished, the atmosphere is not what is was, it lacks the history and soul and ticket prices are sky high from tickets to food and drink. There's loads of casual fans going, and plenty who are not Arsenal supporters at all. So while it's made business sense, it's destroyed something else that's arguably more important.

Chelsea just don't care about their own fans, and have priced a lot of the old guard out, but perhaps that's what they wanted, as they have tried to change their identity an awful lot under Roman Abramovich's reign. They have similarities to Arsenal now too in terms of some of their problems.

What're the naïve comments or revelations in this interview?
Fernandes on London Calling on 00:22 - Jan 24 with 7310 viewsNortholt_Rs

Er......what atmosphere? Highbury was always nicknamed 'the library'.... My gooner mates love the new stadium,

Scooters, Tunes, Trainers and QPR.

Fernandes on London Calling on 04:33 - Jan 24 with 7193 viewsVancouverHoop

Fernandes on London Calling on 20:14 - Jan 23 by Rangersw12

By the time the stadium is finished dynamic pricing is probably going to more commonplace. It's already widespread here, especially in major league baseball. Game prices are determined based on the day and time, what the weather is like, and who's pitching, as well as more standard factors like who the opposition is and where the seat's located. Teams had been losing scads of cash to resellers, sophisticated data retrieval now allows them to make game-time adjustments, to the potential benefit of both themselves and fans. Done right, attendances should increase a fair bit.
[Post edited 24 Jan 2014 4:34]
Login to get fewer ads

Fernandes on London Calling on 07:49 - Jan 24 with 7014 viewsCanadaRanger

Fernandes on London Calling on 22:44 - Jan 23 by saxbend

Price it right and they certainly will. Finding over 35000 people in West London willing to pay £20 for a ticket isn't hard. 18000 x 30 is 540000 35000 x 20 is 700000, and that's just the ticket revenue. We'd be doubling the other match income while the running costs would be nowhere near double.

It'll only work if the ticket prices come right down, but if they do we could undercut the other London clubs, expand our fan base and massively increase our revenue.

Sure we'd never get 40000 fans to pay £45 each for a category A premier league game, but I'm sure that's not Tony's plan. Get people hooked and gradually raise ticket prices over a period of 5-10 seasons in the new ground and then we'll be reaping the benefits.

Don't forget the rent income on shopping centre and offices that will be part of any comprehensive development. All supporting the QPR stadium development financially. Excellent plan. Great team to do it. Location looks great too, although will still miss LR on my trips back.
Fernandes on London Calling on 07:51 - Jan 24 with 7010 viewsRed_Ranger

Really came across well, I thought.
Fernandes on London Calling on 08:17 - Jan 24 with 6951 viewsQPR442

I wish people would stop moaning about the size of the stadium, as they would probably be the first to moan if they couldn't get a ticket. He's building a 40K stadium, get over it! Football is changing and I think we will all be surprized with how many we get. Me and my mate might even get our Mrs and kids to come back if facilities are good.

As for TF he pressed all the right buttons for the fans. Lets just hope he doesn't look at the history the year we went down from the Championship with Karl 'never' Ready as that was depressing.
Fernandes on London Calling on 09:09 - Jan 24 with 6835 viewsKonk

Fernandes on London Calling on 00:22 - Jan 24 by Northolt_Rs

Er......what atmosphere? Highbury was always nicknamed 'the library'.... My gooner mates love the new stadium,

Highbury generally had a crap atmosphere unless it was a big game (and even then it wasn’t amazing), but the atmosphere at the Emirates is shocking. We were there last week, they’re top of the league, 57,000 home fans and you could hear a pin drop for most of the game. They seem to get quieter every year, and whilst that might be rich coming from a Fulham fan, we don’t normally have much to get excited about one way or another. Couldn’t move for tourists taking pictures outside the ground and it’s a completely soulless experience. The only Arsenal fans I know who enjoy match days more at the new ground are the ones who couldn’t get tickets at Highbury.

Fulham FC: It's the taking part that counts

Fernandes on London Calling on 09:21 - Jan 24 with 6790 viewskingsburyR

I went to school in Finchley and have a lot of Arsenal mates.

Most had season tickets back in the days of Highbury.

None have now!

Dont know why we bother. .... but we do!

Fernandes on London Calling on 09:58 - Jan 24 with 6696 viewsQPR442

With the new stadium we will lose a few fans but also gain more due to a new stadium/interest/facilities and hopefully prem football. Can see many new plastics and tourists but sadly that's the way its going to happen.
Fernandes on London Calling on 10:08 - Jan 24 with 6661 viewsAntti_Heinola

Fernandes on London Calling on 00:08 - Jan 24 by Grifter

What're the naïve comments or revelations in this interview?

That would be my question too.
I don't agree with everything TF says of course, but some condescending remarks I see towards TF I find a bit difficult to swallow sometimes.

But a good post by Neil - TF has said he wants to charge less - I think that is the key here. Arsenal prices are shocking (although to be fair their away ticket prices were quite reasonable last season - certainly compared to ours! Although that was because they assumed no one wanted to come and see Arsenal v QPR).

I agree with people's worries about history and tradition, but the fact is most grounds, unless they can be carefully re-developed like OT, have a shelf life. Sadly, as much as I love LR, it's simply not fit for purpose anymore. I'll miss it like hell of course, but hopefully the new stadium will create new memories and its own identity - although that may well take 20 or 30 years...

Bare bones.

Fernandes on London Calling on 10:22 - Jan 24 with 6636 viewssimmo

It's nice that they can afford to go. Most of my mates think the stadium is great, but can't/won't pay £65 a ticket to sit in a seat expectantly and get outsung by every away support that turns up. The only time there is ever any atmosphere is for certain derby games and even then it's sporadic. At least Highbury had the clock end or a section similar to Q/P/R block where you can go if you want to stand and make a bit more noise.

I have been to the Emirates plenty of times but mainly through corporate seats (It's impossible not to know SOMEONE that has access to a seat in the Emirates) or the ex who had 2 season ticket holding brothers. It is the biggest collection of ambiguous supporters I have ever known, including the neutral section at Fulham. I would say at least 10-20% of the attendance couldn't give a shit about the result. Most people around me didn't even get out of their seat when Arsenal scored, they just clapped!

If QPR gets anything like that I would buy an away season ticket and fck the home games right off.

ask Beavis I get nothing Butthead

Fernandes on London Calling on 10:34 - Jan 24 with 6614 viewsVish

I think all clubs face the same problem of lack atmosphere generated by home fans. Its a routine for a lot of them, less alcohol induced than away fans and at generally home fans have an expectation of the players to perform well, which then generates atmosphere.

There are only a few clubs in the country where the home support is always good/loud (barring big games/local derbies). Even then the atmosphere its usually good only in patches.

The stadium can help generate atmosphere though by ensuring its two tiered, but even then home fans generally are always quieter than away.
Fernandes on London Calling on 10:40 - Jan 24 with 6595 viewsCroydonCaptJack

I think there are a lot of valid points made here about a potentially soulless new stadium and The Emirates. However, I am not sure what we or Tony can do about it. He can't decide the type of person who turns up in the new stadium can he?
Fernandes on London Calling on 10:44 - Jan 24 with 6587 viewsGloucs_R

Great Chairman, will go down in history as one of the best.

Poll: Are we staying up?

Fernandes on London Calling on 10:47 - Jan 24 with 6577 viewsJamie

Fernandes on London Calling on 10:44 - Jan 24 by Gloucs_R

My word.
Fernandes on London Calling on 11:11 - Jan 24 with 6544 viewsGloucs_R

I've always said that?!?!?

Poll: Are we staying up?

Fernandes on London Calling on 11:15 - Jan 24 with 6539 viewsisawqpratwcity

Fernandes on London Calling on 10:44 - Jan 24 by Gloucs_R

Gloucs may be being sarcastic (where's a [sarcastic] smiley when you need it?), but I think, so far, TF has been pretty f*cking marvellous.

Yes, we've been through some appalling times, including episodes where he has been directly responsible, but he has always acted out of perceived best interests of the club, and has ungrudgingly put his hand deep into his wallet.

His goals for growth of the club are reasonable and respect the club's history.

All this might mean sh*t if he suddenly decided to walk away, but, so far, he's been pretty damn good.

Poll: Deaths of Thatcher and Mandela this year: Sad or Glad?

Fernandes on London Calling on 11:21 - Jan 24 with 6521 viewssimmo

He's done a pretty piss poor job but he's done it with mostly good intentions.

If he learns from his mistakes and sticks to what he promises long term, then he could be a great chairman. Let's not start wnking off a man that was interviewed by Mark Hughes and oversaw 2 of my worst years supporting QPR just yet.

ask Beavis I get nothing Butthead

Fernandes on London Calling on 11:36 - Jan 24 with 6492 viewsisawqpratwcity

Fernandes on London Calling on 11:21 - Jan 24 by simmo

If he learns from his mistakes and sticks to what he promises long term, then he could be a great chairman. Let's not start wnking off a man that was interviewed by Mark Hughes and oversaw 2 of my worst years supporting QPR just yet.

I am definitely not arguing with your last two points except to say that the unmitigated disaster Hughes was not perceived as such when first appointed, and that the whole knee-jerk, catch-up management of the last two years should be acknowledged as being triggered by the selfish manipulations of Messrs. Tango & Cash.

Poll: Deaths of Thatcher and Mandela this year: Sad or Glad?

Fernandes on London Calling on 12:48 - Jan 24 with 6348 viewsVish

Fernandes on London Calling on 11:21 - Jan 24 by simmo

the only thing that will 100% convince me he has fully learnt from mistake will be the recruitment approach/process undertaken when HR leaves his role - they key being the type of manager we will look for next.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024