Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Matthew Connolly 12:52 - Jan 2 with 2029 viewsBathRanger

If Cardiff win the Championship he will have won 3 consecutive Championship winners medals. Some kind of record I would have thought?

When QPR go down, maybe they should re-sign him.....
Matthew Connolly on 12:54 - Jan 2 with 2013 viewscollegeranger

Another mistake by Hughes letting him go. Could have done with him more than a few times this season and would have played at least one more game than Hogan!
Matthew Connolly on 12:59 - Jan 2 with 1980 viewsHollowayRanger

wouldnt be a bad idea to sign a few of the players released from the teams promoted

look at the ones we shed

ledge gorkss ramage connelly helgerson kenny .....................not mentioning hall

id go spare if we get rid of DJ hill derry faurlin mackie young as i think we will need them big time next season along with traore mbia nelsen onouha johnson zamorra taarabt

rest not bothered about but id get rid of green ceaser bosingwa swp hulse bothroyd granero ferdinand cisse either now or end of season

Listen to the band play!
Poll: How much will you pay for adult season ticket next season if in championship

Matthew Connolly on 13:05 - Jan 2 with 1957 viewshoops_legend

Matthew Connolly on 12:59 - Jan 2 by HollowayRanger

wouldnt be a bad idea to sign a few of the players released from the teams promoted

look at the ones we shed

ledge gorkss ramage connelly helgerson kenny .....................not mentioning hall

id go spare if we get rid of DJ hill derry faurlin mackie young as i think we will need them big time next season along with traore mbia nelsen onouha johnson zamorra taarabt

rest not bothered about but id get rid of green ceaser bosingwa swp hulse bothroyd granero ferdinand cisse either now or end of season

No one will come in for Ferdinand, Bosingwa or Hulse!!!

They are not worth the paper the contract is written on! Boothroyd and SWP are better but cant see anyone wanting them on the wages they are on

Poll: Would you rather win league cup or survive?

Matthew Connolly on 13:07 - Jan 2 with 1949 viewsNorthernr

I think Malky Mackay did that - promoted with Norwich, sold to West Ham, promoted with them sold to Watford and then promoted with them. Good honest old pro who knew what the Championship was about but wasn't good enough for the Premier League.

Connolly has sadly never moved beyond being a decent Championship player, although I still maintain his issue was more mental than ability.
Matthew Connolly on 13:10 - Jan 2 with 1931 viewsNeil_SI

He's doing very well down there and they're delighted with him.

He loved QPR and was a club man who never complained, despite often being in and out of the side due to blips with his form, which I always felt were a little over the top and taken out of context. It was never as bad as some said.

You take out players with affinity and affection for the club, whether they're in the team or not, and that spirit and connection dissolves very quickly.

Matthew Connolly on 13:59 - Jan 2 with 1827 viewsderbyhoop

I'm quite happy to be in the minority that believes none of Connolly, Gorkss nor Helguson were Premiership quality. HH did a good job for half of last season, but was going to be 4th choice striker behind BZ, AJ and Cisse, so you can't blame him for moving on, whoever made that decision. The issue isn't selling them back to the Championship but who comes in to replace them. You have to find someone who is better than what you let go. Over the last 18 months we've let players fo and replaced them with players who are no better or, in some cases, even worse. And we've usually paid the incomers a lot more for the privilege.

Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the Earth all one’s lifetime. (Mark Twain) Find me on twitter @derbyhoop

Matthew Connolly on 14:33 - Jan 2 with 1780 viewsfakekerby

Matthew Connolly on 13:59 - Jan 2 by derbyhoop

I'm quite happy to be in the minority that believes none of Connolly, Gorkss nor Helguson were Premiership quality. HH did a good job for half of last season, but was going to be 4th choice striker behind BZ, AJ and Cisse, so you can't blame him for moving on, whoever made that decision. The issue isn't selling them back to the Championship but who comes in to replace them. You have to find someone who is better than what you let go. Over the last 18 months we've let players fo and replaced them with players who are no better or, in some cases, even worse. And we've usually paid the incomers a lot more for the privilege.

HH did more than a 'good job' last season - he was absolutely exceptional. We'd kill for him in the team now.

I'm not going to cry over Connolly, I think he would have fallen to pieces in this side.
Matthew Connolly on 14:36 - Jan 2 with 1774 viewshoops_legend

What exactly was Helguson supposed to do to be exceptional? Would have been one of the top scorers in the Prem if stayed fit in a poor side!!

Poll: Would you rather win league cup or survive?

Login to get fewer ads

Matthew Connolly on 14:37 - Jan 2 with 1770 viewsadhoc_qpr

I loved HH last season, but let's not forget he was out injured for the 2nd half of the season and given his fitness record you can see why he was moved on.

It's the fact that he wasn't replaced that was the dumb move from Hughes, a mistake magnified by the loans of Bothroyd and Campbell and the signing of the injury prone AJ!
Matthew Connolly on 14:57 - Jan 2 with 1737 viewsNeil_SI

It was a mistake to sell Heidar Helguson.

We would have made very little from the deal other than lose a player who is unique in terms of the way he holds up the ball and brings others into play. There are not many like him around and he would have happily been a squad player who could lend his experience and nous to the squad and youngsters.

One of the hardest aspects for footballers to comprehend is changing their game when they lose their pace, and adapting to use all of their other strengths in the book to stay relevant and competitive.

Helguson didn't have pace, but worked around it wonderfully well. That alone was worth its weight in gold as an example to others because he still popped up in the box in excellent positions to get on the end of chances. And because he had no pace to lose, you know what you're going to get from him.

The only slight mark against him was his injury — but again, as we mentioned with Matthew Connolly, they're very happy with Helguson down there too. I've always liked him as a player and even when he went through a bit of a difficult time with us and was loaned out. Just gets on with the job and does his job to the best of his ability and never lets a missed chance get to his head.

Phased out too early, like so many before him.
Matthew Connolly on 15:45 - Jan 2 with 1662 viewsMedwayR

I agree that Helguson, Connolly & Gorkss were not & probably never will be premiership quality, but they could have done a job for us. The problem we have is that we sold them on without replacing them with anything better, or at all in the case of Helguson.

Poll: Who’s better?

Matthew Connolly on 15:49 - Jan 2 with 1649 viewsPinnerPaul

Matthew Connolly on 13:10 - Jan 2 by Neil_SI

He's doing very well down there and they're delighted with him.

He loved QPR and was a club man who never complained, despite often being in and out of the side due to blips with his form, which I always felt were a little over the top and taken out of context. It was never as bad as some said.

You take out players with affinity and affection for the club, whether they're in the team or not, and that spirit and connection dissolves very quickly.

Surely more affinity with the Gooners , where he was since he was about 5!?
Matthew Connolly on 16:10 - Jan 2 with 1629 viewssmegma

Bit harsh on HH seeing as he got injured vs Chelsea in the FA Cup.Still finished top scorer though.And still no one has scored more goals than him in the past two seasons.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024