Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
GEORGE GRISTWOOD RIP 14:59 - Oct 18 with 5893 viewsSonofNorfolt

Sadly George has passed away at the age of 94.
The term 'legend' is used all too frequently nowadays, however in terms of supporting our team, I would suggest that the term is appropriate here.
Home and away with Rangers and England almost his entire life, undeterred by the coach journey to Sunderland on a January evening even into his 80's his passion never waned.
He would recall matches from during the war, some even pre-war, and the promotion sealing trips to Bournemouth in 1948 and Villa in 1968 amongst the more obvious ones, including all the games at Wembley in 1966.
The QPR LSA awarded him supporter of the year in 2015, although frankly he could have been nominated every season.

The picture shows George on the left with another R, Bill, his older brother who left us earlier in the year.

The end of an era.

This post has been edited by an administrator
GEORGE GRISTWOOD RIP on 17:39 - Oct 19 with 1197 viewsSonic_Hoop

RIP George, condolences to family & friends.
GEORGE GRISTWOOD RIP on 18:22 - Oct 19 with 1139 viewsPindarus

It is incredible that he had been attending our games through 10 decades - surely unique.
RIP indeed.
GEORGE GRISTWOOD RIP on 21:20 - Oct 19 with 1008 viewsperpignanR

Used to bump into George in all sorts places over the years, lovely chap.R.I.P.
GEORGE GRISTWOOD RIP on 21:24 - Oct 19 with 1005 viewsMoonshineSteve

Proud to have known George. That game we were in the executive box v Preston. Rubbish game, losing 0-2 after 90 minutes and we drew 2-2. Glad we shared that.

Really sorry Danny. Sending strength.

I am still Steve but no longer in Dagenham.

GEORGE GRISTWOOD RIP on 12:23 - Oct 20 with 771 viewsEsox_Lucius

Hi Mel, I spoke with Andy Evans yesterday and told him about George and would the club be commemorating him. He said if he get some photos and words to go with it, he would try to do something. With your permission, I would like to send Andy a link to this thread, and for him to compile something from this.
Mike, who helps Dave with AKTUR'S used to stand by George in the Loft back in the day and told me a story you may appreciate; A policeman in a helmet was stood in front of George and George loudly commented "Typical, it's happening again, can't see the game 'cause some coppers helmet is blocking my view" The policeman turned to George and asked if this happened a lot to him and George's response "Yeah, Derby away 1948".

The grass is always greener.

GEORGE GRISTWOOD RIP on 17:03 - Oct 20 with 619 viewsPlanetHonneywood

GEORGE GRISTWOOD RIP on 12:23 - Oct 20 by Esox_Lucius

Hi Mel, I spoke with Andy Evans yesterday and told him about George and would the club be commemorating him. He said if he get some photos and words to go with it, he would try to do something. With your permission, I would like to send Andy a link to this thread, and for him to compile something from this.
Mike, who helps Dave with AKTUR'S used to stand by George in the Loft back in the day and told me a story you may appreciate; A policeman in a helmet was stood in front of George and George loudly commented "Typical, it's happening again, can't see the game 'cause some coppers helmet is blocking my view" The policeman turned to George and asked if this happened a lot to him and George's response "Yeah, Derby away 1948".

George was at a reserve game against Spurs. Not sure of the venue, might have been at Acton because he was on the touchline close to Teddy Sheringham.

All game, George is shouting over to Teddy: 'You should put your boots on and get out there Sheringham-pen' and so on.

An hour of this, Teddy finally bites and asks George, 'Why do you keep calling me Sheringham-pen?'

George replied, 'Everytime I read the Spurs result and you scored it says, Sheringham-pen!' Spurs' bench pissed themseves!

'Always In Motion' by John Honney available on amazon.co.uk
Poll: Who should do the Birmingham Frederick?

GEORGE GRISTWOOD RIP on 20:12 - Oct 20 with 506 viewsPunteR

RIP George.

Occasional providers of half decent House music.

GEORGE GRISTWOOD RIP on 21:02 - Oct 20 with 451 viewskingshill

RIP George, a huge part of our fantastic clubs history.
Condolences to Danny and his family 🙏
Login to get fewer ads

GEORGE GRISTWOOD RIP on 21:50 - Oct 20 with 417 viewsGus_iom

Those early LSA coaches. Great times.
RiP George
GEORGE GRISTWOOD RIP on 23:01 - Oct 20 with 339 viewsLadbrokeR

I can’t express enough what great bloke George was. I’ve got many memories but two stick out. He come to the LSA in the basement of the spiringbok and him our late dad Tom used talk for ages. Along with a few others they were respected elders statesmen.

I’ve also spent quite a few lsa coach trips chatting with him and bill the plumber. He didn’t mind a political discussion and argued his corner very well.

Gone but not forgotten
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024