Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Madsen 20:50 - Sep 1 with 6228 viewsVancouverHoop

Got a fair amount of stick early in the match thread, but nevertheless scored one goal and was instrumental in the winner.

It's early doors of course, but having watched the replays he looks like he might be one of those rare players you forget is on the pitch for an hour or so, then pops up in acres of space at exactly the right time. There wasn't a Luton player visible for his goal (How does that happen? He's 6'3"!) For the second (arguably the best collective QPR goal since the days of Taraabt and Routledge IMHO) he had two defenders on him but instead of trying to beat them, he calmly laid the ball wide to the onrushing Paal with his back to goal,.

He didn't do a lot, but what he did do was ice-water cool and very effective. I know this is well OTT but, potentially, he reminds me a bit of Spurs' John White, "The Ghost" from their early 60s team. The ability to "vanish" then "reappear" several minutes later during a match shouldn't be underestimated.
Madsen on 20:54 - Sep 1 with 5069 viewsAddinall

If you can remember John White you must be like me,getting on a bit!
Madsen on 20:59 - Sep 1 with 5004 viewsjeffranger

That’s exactly like him, didn’t notice him a lot but seems very cool on the ball & doesn’t panic, he can only get better like the other new faces when they all gel
Madsen on 21:07 - Sep 1 with 4896 viewsHoopstar

Already resigned that, regardless of how good he turns out to be, there are going to be those going after him as he is so languid in the way he moves about the place. Haven't a clue how he'll turn out ultimately like so many of the new guys but there are always those who can't see past the glidey way players like Madsen get on with things. Of course, if they're no good it's a huge liability.

It is an extreme example but it's like the small percentage of fans who screamed forever about Eze being lazy (not comparing Madsen to Eze!) Similar to that most QPR of traits that saw us not vote for Taarabt as SPOTY!
Madsen on 21:21 - Sep 1 with 4794 viewsVancouverHoop

Madsen on 20:54 - Sep 1 by Addinall

If you can remember John White you must be like me,getting on a bit!

Oh yeah. I was fortunate to see him (or not "see" him) a few times back in the olden days.
Madsen on 21:45 - Sep 1 with 4586 viewsLblock

Getting Simon Barker or Steve Hodge vibes with this fella.

Both decent
Both never really grabbed games and dictated them

Time won’t gimme time
S’what he needs

Cherish and enjoy life.... this ain't no dress rehearsal

Madsen on 21:48 - Sep 1 with 4582 viewsWhip_It

I liked his ultra low key goal celebration - more of this in the modern game would be very welcome
Madsen on 23:24 - Sep 1 with 4060 viewsCiderwithRsie

The guy who he vaguely reminds me of is John Gregory.

Might just be the haircut, mind!

Still, we could do worse.
Madsen on 23:27 - Sep 1 with 4039 viewsnumptydumpty

It wasn't a total gimme finish, two opposition players descending towards him and had to reach to prod the ball home.

Did well to get up there and in a position slightly off the two defenders.

Well done chap. Keep doing that and we will all be singing your name !!

Walking in a "Mackie Wonderland"
Poll: Where will we finish next season ???

Login to get fewer ads

Madsen on 23:38 - Sep 1 with 3988 viewsqueensparker

Madsen on 21:07 - Sep 1 by Hoopstar

Already resigned that, regardless of how good he turns out to be, there are going to be those going after him as he is so languid in the way he moves about the place. Haven't a clue how he'll turn out ultimately like so many of the new guys but there are always those who can't see past the glidey way players like Madsen get on with things. Of course, if they're no good it's a huge liability.

It is an extreme example but it's like the small percentage of fans who screamed forever about Eze being lazy (not comparing Madsen to Eze!) Similar to that most QPR of traits that saw us not vote for Taarabt as SPOTY!

It wasn’t a small percentage of people calling Eze lazy etc in his first seasons, it was a great deal of people. I saw and heard him take a load of stick on a regular basis

If you’re not a 100% Sam Field type you’re going to get a lot of moaning if you don’t deliver

Haven’t seen Madsen play live yet so can’t really contribute but it was great play for both the goals against Luton
Madsen on 23:59 - Sep 1 with 3913 viewsconnell10

Mike Fillery a real crowd splitter.

AND WHEN I DREAM , I DREAM ABOUT YOU AND WHEN I SCREAM I SCREAM ABOUT YOU!!!!!
Poll: best number 10 ever?

Madsen on 00:41 - Sep 2 with 3791 viewsCLAREMAN1995

One of my favorite things to do is read back over the match threads when we win and the way the mood changes from one minute to the next is pretty funny.
one minute player A is " useless wan*er then he scores a screamer and is a God I love it .
Madsen ran into space ,Frey avoided going down twice ,risked injury by passing that ball in an arkward position and Madsen finished with class to lift that roof off with our fans.
I like him he looks like another vital cog in our machine going forward
Madsen on 00:54 - Sep 2 with 3770 viewsCiderwithRsie

Madsen on 23:59 - Sep 1 by connell10

Mike Fillery a real crowd splitter.

"Fillery - he flatters to deceive" a Spurs fan mate of mine told me 40 years ago, almost to the day.

Didn't know what it meant, still bloody don't. So much for education.
Madsen on 08:44 - Sep 2 with 3124 viewsSuffolk

Madsen's languid style brings Leroy Fer to mind. Seemingly waiting for the game to come to him and not getting too involved in the chase.

From the little I have seen of him he seems good at turning in the middle of the field and moving forward with the ball - an attribute we have been missing. He has also switched play nicely on occasion by playing a long ball out to the wing.

In all I think it has been a promising start by Madsen. I do wonder if the keyboard warriors will turn on him following a bad run of results. Seemingly playing the game at 33 rpm whilst all others are at 45 rpm makes him stand out. Time will tell.
[Post edited 2 Sep 8:45]
Madsen on 08:46 - Sep 2 with 3102 viewsstevec

‘For the second (arguably the best collective QPR goal since the days of Taraabt and Routledge IMHO) he had two defenders on him but instead of trying to beat them, he calmly laid the ball wide to the onrushing Paal with his back to goal’..

Paal has had to wait two years for a pass like that. Bet he couldn’t believe his eyes.
Madsen on 10:03 - Sep 2 with 2756 viewsJimboqpr

He's probably got lots to learn and get up to speed with, but it was nice to see a QPR CM get in the box and tuck one away for a change.
[Post edited 2 Sep 10:04]
Madsen on 10:36 - Sep 2 with 2580 viewsBlackCrowe

Madsen on 10:03 - Sep 2 by Jimboqpr

He's probably got lots to learn and get up to speed with, but it was nice to see a QPR CM get in the box and tuck one away for a change.
[Post edited 2 Sep 10:04]

How he can be getting any stick whatsover at this stage is baffling. He's a new club, in a new country in a league that is seriously a few notches up on anything he's played in before in terms of speed, ability, crowd and media pressures etc. Same goes for Celar and Varane.

Poll: Kitchen threads or polls?

Madsen on 10:57 - Sep 2 with 2449 viewsWilkinswatercarrier

Madsen on 10:36 - Sep 2 by BlackCrowe

How he can be getting any stick whatsover at this stage is baffling. He's a new club, in a new country in a league that is seriously a few notches up on anything he's played in before in terms of speed, ability, crowd and media pressures etc. Same goes for Celar and Varane.

Usually the stick comes from those not at the games. When in the stadium you can see a lot of work off the ball, hence the Loftus Road/away fans are much more supportive.

I'm liking all our new signings so far, and they are only going to get better over the next few months.
Madsen on 11:01 - Sep 2 with 2413 viewsPhilmyRs

Agree with all the comments about him needing time and totally unfair to give him stick at this stage of his Rangers career. However, I’m worried that some people seem to think he played quite well against Luton. I thought he was way off it, and looked slightly overawed by the occasion which isn’t totally a surprise given fairly intimidating ground to play at for your first live Friday night game. Credit to him for sticking with it and getting the goal which he did take very well, and that will only be a good thing for his confidence, but if that was Anderson, Field or Colback that produced a fairly anonymous performance like that, they’d rightly be getting criticised.

You can’t hide in the Championship, you have to want the ball and be prepared to make mistakes. He has ability, he just needs to believe in himself and get himself up for the battle. I do think our Team potentially misses a player like him, but we can't afford to carry players, so here's hoping he kicks-on.
Madsen on 11:04 - Sep 2 with 2366 viewsBlackCrowe

Madsen on 11:01 - Sep 2 by PhilmyRs

Agree with all the comments about him needing time and totally unfair to give him stick at this stage of his Rangers career. However, I’m worried that some people seem to think he played quite well against Luton. I thought he was way off it, and looked slightly overawed by the occasion which isn’t totally a surprise given fairly intimidating ground to play at for your first live Friday night game. Credit to him for sticking with it and getting the goal which he did take very well, and that will only be a good thing for his confidence, but if that was Anderson, Field or Colback that produced a fairly anonymous performance like that, they’d rightly be getting criticised.

You can’t hide in the Championship, you have to want the ball and be prepared to make mistakes. He has ability, he just needs to believe in himself and get himself up for the battle. I do think our Team potentially misses a player like him, but we can't afford to carry players, so here's hoping he kicks-on.

But in that post you've effectively said that he needs time but he's not allowed that time to adapt. It's Marti's call on when to play him and when not...so any fans criticism at this stage should be directed at MC not the player (unless he's not trying, which he clearly is)

Poll: Kitchen threads or polls?

Madsen on 11:17 - Sep 2 with 2217 viewsNed_Kennedys

Madsen on 11:01 - Sep 2 by PhilmyRs

Just how was he ‘way off it’ at Luton?
Brought in to link midfield and attack, not to pressure and tackle opponents like Field and Colback.
Scored a good goal by being right up with the forward and involved in our winner too.
The guy did well in his second match at this level.
Madsen on 11:20 - Sep 2 with 2194 viewsPhilmyRs

Madsen on 11:04 - Sep 2 by BlackCrowe

But in that post you've effectively said that he needs time but he's not allowed that time to adapt. It's Marti's call on when to play him and when not...so any fans criticism at this stage should be directed at MC not the player (unless he's not trying, which he clearly is)

Ok, I could make it clearer and specifically say that once you’ve had some time to adapt, you’re more familiar with your surroundings, and started to bed-in you can’t hide in the Championship, you need to want the ball and be prepared for things to go wrong but have the courage to go again etc.

Having a decent touch, playing 1 or 2 nice passes is great, but over 90 minutes in this league, you need to do a lot more and not hide, something I felt he did a bit on Friday but as I said, no complaints, it’s a massive change for him, everything is new, he needs time to adapt and to be cut some slack…BUT in the future, if he delivered what he did, I personally don’t think it’s good enough, which was my point because a few people have mentioned to me they do think it was good enough, flagging the goal.

In answer to the other posters question, I thought he struggled to make himself available to receive the ball so couldn't really have any influence on the game. He seemed a bit static and didn't do enough to show for the ball.
Madsen on 11:55 - Sep 2 with 2012 viewssilky

Madsen on 11:20 - Sep 2 by PhilmyRs

Ok, I could make it clearer and specifically say that once you’ve had some time to adapt, you’re more familiar with your surroundings, and started to bed-in you can’t hide in the Championship, you need to want the ball and be prepared for things to go wrong but have the courage to go again etc.

Having a decent touch, playing 1 or 2 nice passes is great, but over 90 minutes in this league, you need to do a lot more and not hide, something I felt he did a bit on Friday but as I said, no complaints, it’s a massive change for him, everything is new, he needs time to adapt and to be cut some slack…BUT in the future, if he delivered what he did, I personally don’t think it’s good enough, which was my point because a few people have mentioned to me they do think it was good enough, flagging the goal.

In answer to the other posters question, I thought he struggled to make himself available to receive the ball so couldn't really have any influence on the game. He seemed a bit static and didn't do enough to show for the ball.

You're not alone mate, that's exactly how I saw his performance.

It's not a criticism at all. He's done well considering all the factors at play. New country, new league, new team mates etc.

Chuffed for him for his goal and there is a wonderful player in there and very different to what we have which excites me.

But he was absolutely anonymous that first half especially.

Poll: Do you think this current QPR team has got what is takes to go up this year?

Madsen on 12:47 - Sep 2 with 1726 viewsqprninja

Madsen on 23:27 - Sep 1 by numptydumpty

It wasn't a total gimme finish, two opposition players descending towards him and had to reach to prod the ball home.

Did well to get up there and in a position slightly off the two defenders.

Well done chap. Keep doing that and we will all be singing your name !!

I thought that. It's great to a) see one of our midfielders in that position for a change and b) not fluff the finish.
Madsen on 13:45 - Sep 2 with 1552 viewsAntti_Heinola

Madsen on 11:55 - Sep 2 by silky

You're not alone mate, that's exactly how I saw his performance.

It's not a criticism at all. He's done well considering all the factors at play. New country, new league, new team mates etc.

Chuffed for him for his goal and there is a wonderful player in there and very different to what we have which excites me.

But he was absolutely anonymous that first half especially.

Marti actually said Madsen was angry about his own display, to be fair, so criticism not wrong, especially if he has the same opinion - which is healthy of him.

The player he reminds me most of is Phil Billing. Also Danish, of course.

Bare bones.

Madsen on 14:09 - Sep 2 with 1424 viewsParkRoyalR

Madsen on 13:45 - Sep 2 by Antti_Heinola

Marti actually said Madsen was angry about his own display, to be fair, so criticism not wrong, especially if he has the same opinion - which is healthy of him.

The player he reminds me most of is Phil Billing. Also Danish, of course.

Languid running style not the quickest really reminds me of another Dane (via West London) in Matt O'Riley.

Bought for £1.5m from MK Don's and recently sold to Brighton for £25m, let's hope those comparisons continue,

Really liked both him and Dembele moving the ball first time for the 2nd goal, likewise early cross meaning the defence didn't have time to reset, something we've needed to do for a long long time.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024