Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Songs that make you all flipping melancholy 22:37 - Nov 24 with 14708 viewsqprxtc

There’s a musicologist out there somewhere that will name the chords and reasons why this makes me yearn for a hanky.

Gordon Bennett, emotions are strong in this one.

As they are in this bastard

F uck a duck. Melon Collie. You bastard.
Songs that make you all flipping melancholy on 13:35 - Jan 19 with 2404 viewsdanehoop

This one hit me recently. Can't listen without feeling emotional every time. Back story is so sad and gives a glimpse of the man beneath the legend.

Edit. Story here.

https://www.radiox.co.uk/news/music/john-lydon-eurovision-disgusting-phoney-desp
[Post edited 19 Jan 2023 14:27]

Never knowingly understood

Songs that make you all flipping melancholy on 22:45 - Jan 19 with 2316 viewsHooping_Mad

David Crosby has just passed. RIP

Chairman of the Junior Hoilett appreciation society

Songs that make you all flipping melancholy on 23:31 - Jan 19 with 2284 viewsCateLeBonR

Danehoop's post about Hawaii made me think of the High Llamas, who I used to quite like. At least I used to like the fact they existed. Still do.

Songs that make you all flipping melancholy on 08:26 - Jan 20 with 2248 viewslongbottom

Songs that make you all flipping melancholy on 01:32 - Jan 5 by Boston

Big up for this. Back of the coach on away trips in the late sixties with Rob Marti, Freddie Mason and big Vic. Great days.
Songs that make you all flipping melancholy on 00:37 - Jan 21 with 2207 viewsDannyPaddox

Songs that make you all flipping melancholy on 21:47 - Jan 21 with 2113 viewsWesty75

Songs that make you all flipping melancholy on 22:12 - Jan 21 with 2104 viewsE17hoop

This:

It's always noisiest at the shallow end
Poll: Who do you want as next Next England manager?

Songs that make you all flipping melancholy on 10:51 - Jan 23 with 2036 viewsTacticalR

Air hostess clique

Login to get fewer ads

Songs that make you all flipping melancholy on 11:32 - Jan 23 with 2011 viewsLoftgirl

Songs that make you all flipping melancholy on 00:37 - Jan 21 by DannyPaddox

This for me, makes me think of everyone I've ever know and wonder where they all went.
Songs that make you all flipping melancholy on 11:37 - Jan 23 with 2008 viewsLoftgirl

Songs that make you all flipping melancholy on 23:51 - Nov 24 by NorthLondonR

This will be a tough listen for most (and undoubtedly most will get bored) but I was transfixed by this at the time c.1993 when I first heard it as I was always (and still ) mesmerised by historic and real life recordings and the fact this was a recording of homeless folk around Waterloo station in the early 70s just took me right there... It's a slow burner but it also reminds me of my late grandpa (1912-1994) so just makes me drift to that time.. strangely Mungo Jerry's video for In the Summertime shot at Marble Arch does exactly the same...

But slightly more modern (2005) I was always transfixed by this track inspired by a needless argument and murder:

[Post edited 25 Nov 2022 0:17]

Whenever I hear this, I feel really sad for hours. No idea why.
Songs that make you all flipping melancholy on 11:40 - Jan 23 with 2002 viewsTheChef

Songs that make you all flipping melancholy on 00:37 - Jan 21 by DannyPaddox

Beautiful. Hadn't heard that for ages.

Need to watch the film now.

Poll: How old is everyone on here?

Songs that make you all flipping melancholy on 11:53 - Jan 23 with 1986 viewsdanehoop

Another one of those songs that just stops me, with the spellbinding live vocal. Must be channelling my inner goth.

Never knowingly understood

Songs that make you all flipping melancholy on 19:09 - Jan 23 with 1955 viewsLordPork

Songs that make you all flipping melancholy on 10:20 - Dec 15 by TheChef

Two pages and no one had yet mentioned this??

The song by itself is melancholy enough, but add in the video... *sobs*

Think Johnny died not long after making the video.

yep, a cracker

apparently his family were unaware of the video until it came out, and when it did, just wow.

what an epitaph for the man and the song, brilliant
Songs that make you all flipping melancholy on 13:34 - Jan 27 with 1878 viewsTacticalR

Whether this constitutes melancholy or outright despair I leave as an exercise for the listener:

Air hostess clique

Songs that make you all flipping melancholy on 20:44 - Jan 30 with 1830 viewsTacticalR

Songs that make you all flipping melancholy on 01:32 - Jan 5 by Boston

I wondered if the original was from somewhere in Central Europe, but according to Wiki the original was a Russian song from 1925 ("By the long road").

Air hostess clique

Songs that make you all flipping melancholy on 11:59 - Feb 27 with 1685 viewsTacticalR

Lee Mi-rang - As Time Passes

Air hostess clique

Songs that make you all flipping melancholy on 13:20 - Feb 27 with 1646 viewsPinnerPaul

London Calling

Hi Ho Silver Lining
Songs that make you all flipping melancholy on 19:10 - Mar 24 with 1569 viewsTacticalR

Air hostess clique

Songs that make you all flipping melancholy on 20:43 - Mar 27 with 1393 viewskomradkirk

Songs that make you all flipping melancholy on 08:55 - Mar 28 with 1287 viewsCroydonCaptJack

Songs that make you all flipping melancholy on 09:23 - Mar 28 with 1264 viewsE17hoop

Got an earworm of this yesterday and was reminded how he wrote it when he split from his wife:

It's always noisiest at the shallow end
Poll: Who do you want as next Next England manager?

Songs that make you all flipping melancholy on 12:14 - Mar 28 with 1205 viewshook_hoops

Even instrumentals can get you.
Songs that make you all flipping melancholy on 14:07 - Mar 28 with 1155 viewsR_from_afar

The background to this one, so, the guitarist's drug addiction, is tragic
I have taught myself the main tune on the guitar, the chords are beautiful:

"Things had started becoming increasingly desperate at Loftus Road but QPR have been handed a massive lifeline and the place has absolutely erupted. it's carnage. It's bedlam. It's 1-1."

Songs that make you all flipping melancholy on 14:26 - Mar 28 with 1146 viewsTacticalR

@E17hoop 'Got an earworm of this yesterday and was reminded how he wrote it when he split from his wife'

Definitely a strong melancholy streak in Gordon Lightfoot:

Affair on 8th Avenue
Early Morning Rain
Rainy Day People
Looking at the Rain
The Wreck of the Edmund Fitzgerald

Air hostess clique

Songs that make you all flipping melancholy on 19:06 - Mar 29 with 1076 viewsTacticalR

A Korean classic from the 1970s, covered by Kim Jung-ho in the 1980s (with English subtitles):

Air hostess clique

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024